Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Google Gears

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Google
And, this specific program:
Google Gears 0.x

This thread has been marked as resolved.
cybersurfer Google Gears
Member 27th Apr, 2010 04:50
Ranking: -9
User Since: 7th Sep, 2009
System Score: N/A
Sorry if I'm posting in the incorrect area,but I installed google gears a while back to see if it did me any good.
Long story short, I ended up removing it but it still shows up as "end of life" in the scan.
Not to mention it tells me my java is also out of date, but yet when I check it out,its up to date. Does Secunia intend on fixing their program or do I remove it from my pc?
I bust my ass to make sure my pc is up to date, I don't need a program giving me false positives.

Post "RE: Google Gears" has been selected as an answer.
mogs RE: Google Gears
Expert Contributor 27th Apr, 2010 07:47
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 27th Apr, 2010 07:50
Google Gears is in use in conjunction with Chrome.. When updated, as with lots of other progs, old files/versions are left behind...Secunia still detects them even if still in the Recycle Bin. I have read that after a period of time they are automatically removed, but generally I don't wait that long.
There are various threads concerning Java on the forum....you might try looking for any by Maurice Joyce on the subject. Selecting Programs and filling in the relevant spaces will take you to threads already written about. It's worth taking some time to do a bit of reading before doing any condemnation. If Secunia has detected it....it's there....is a better rule.
Are you using PSI with the Advanced interface ? You will gain more info if you switch. Click on the + sign alongside an entry in Patched/End of Life/Insecure, and it will expand to reveal the file path. Click on Tech Details and that will confirm it.
If you are uncertain as to how to proceed from there, post the info to the forum to gain more assistance. Regards

PS My fault perhaps....you've posted to the CSI forum. I've replied assuming you were using PSI.....I'm waiting for a prescription for new glasses ! Ha!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
cybersurfer RE: Google Gears
Member 27th Apr, 2010 08:24
Score: -9
User Since: 7th Sep 2009
When I originally installed Google Gears, I did not have Google Chrome.
When I delete anything, I also empty the recyle bin by using CCleaner.
This is not a new problem, I just got tired of it repeating time & time again.
I was previously using the filehippo updater but for unknown reasons,it quit functioning.
If Secunia PSI don't stop showing what I consider false positives, I will uninstall it,too.
I don't like any program telling me I need to update a program when I know I have the latest.
I may not be a pc techie, but I'm not ignorant,either. Thanks for your help.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 27th Apr, 2010 08:36
I'm not particularly techie either.....but I think you are being maybe overly stubborn. You have posted this thread to the CSI forum and not the PSI. You might try posting there.
You seem to be missing the point that I was making.....Secunia tells you what it finds....the choice is yours as with regard to how/what you update. Having updated....old files/versions may be still on your computer.....psi shows you them as vulnerabilities. The idea is to clear them out and gain a clean bill of health....for free !!!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 27th Apr, 2010 08:40
Ok, how do I post in the correct forum? :):)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 27th Apr, 2010 08:53
Last edited on 27th Apr, 2010 08:54
On the left of the page....see Forum, All Threads, PSI ? Click on PSI. Then Create Thread, and continue as you've been doing. Hope this is of help.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Apr, 2010 08:54
Thanks & sorry for posting incorrectly.
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+