xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: “OPEN DOOR” - General hints, tips and chat. May 2010.

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as locked.
taffy078 “OPEN DOOR” - General hints, tips and chat. May 2010.
Contributor 30th Apr, 2010 16:34
Ranking: 408
User Since: 26th Feb, 2009
System Score: 100%
Hi. This is the first of what may become a series of monthly threads, if you want it to!

Here, you can post general hints, tips, software etc that you’ve found elsewhere in Secunia that have helped you. That will then help others.

I’m sure that Secunia & our technical expert members will also keep an eye out for spam, phishing etc, and for areas where their help is needed, if only to suggest when needed that a new thread is posted in the appropriate section.

Or you can just meet with other Secunia members. In particular, if you are new why not pop in and say hello?

At the end of May, the thread will be locked and a new one started. Whether it continues after that depends entirely on YOU.

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

Desktop: Compaq Presario (OEM) 32 bit / AMD Athlon / 2 GB RAM
XP Home - SP3/ IE8/ Norton IS - Secunia PSI v2.0.0.3003

Laptop: Win 7 / IE11 / PSI v2.0.0.3003

taffy078 RE: “OPEN DOOR” - General hints, tips and chat. May 2010.
Contributor 30th Apr, 2010 16:37
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
This is a good example of what you could post.

I’d like to mention the following programs that have helped me. They were recommended by Maurice, Anthony and Mogs.
I’m sure that there are other experts here who have made similar suggestions so why not share them with us?

1. Anti-keylogging protection against the likes of the Zeus virus. Useful (vital?) if you bank on-line and your bank doesn’t provide you with such software.
‘Rapport’ from Trusteer. http://www.trusteer.com/solutions/home-users/onlin...
‘Keyscrambler’ from QFX. http://www.qfxsoftware.com/
2. A Notepad, ’Note Tab Light’ from Fookes . http://www.notetab.com/downloads.php

3. Check your ports are safe with ‘ShieldsUp’ from Gibson: https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 and finally

4. ‘Revo Uninstaller’ from VS Revo Group. http://www.revouninstaller.com/

So far, I’ve only used Revo's Junk FileCleaner.
I first ran three other programs: AdAware Registry Tuner, PCPitstop’s Optimize, and PCPitstop’s Disk MD.
I then ran Revo’s Junk FileCleaner and it found & deleted 223 files. I’m a PC novice so you will understand why I was staggered by Revo’s finds!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Anthony Wells RE: “OPEN DOOR” - General hints, tips and chat. May 2010.
Expert Contributor 30th Apr, 2010 19:38
Score: 2418
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A

Hi taffy ,

As you mention me and as , if I remember correctly and not to put words in his mouth , Maurice Joyce is not one to recommend software in general , i would say that I tend to agree with him .

Recommending a product to someone you know or are in detailed contact with in a thread is one thing ; there , the person , system details , etc. are known/can be found and problem solutions investigated and suggestions made .

I am not so keen on extrapolating such advice to suggest a product/programme to a wide audience and their idiosyncratic systems . Of course , certain programmes like , for example Belarc or FileHippo , should lend themselves to most people , as does PSI , in the correct context .

I do consider specific websites like those of Steve Gibson or Ian "Gizmo" Richards and , say , Bleeping Computer as most useful/"relevant" and I do recommend them when I can and/or it would be helpful to anyone reading a thread .

I get my technical info from such sites and from my highly knowledgeable friend (personal teccie :))and pass that on based on my own experience to those in the process of learning , just like me .

As a place to let of steam , as MacArthur or Arnie might have put it , I"ll be back :))

Take care
Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Contributor 30th Apr, 2010 21:28
thanks for that, Anthony. Much appreciated and message understood.
But I still 'owe you one' for your comment about the quality of my jokes!!! ;0))

On a serious note, I really didn't know whther I should or shouldn't post my thread about the Vulnerabilities forum. So next time, I'll ask here first.
Have a good holiday weekend.

PS in the hope that Fred (thedillpickl) sees this - how are you Fred? Long time, no speak. Likewise Mogs!!!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Maurice Joyce RE: “OPEN DOOR” - General hints, tips and chat. May 2010.
Handling Contributor 30th Apr, 2010 21:30
Score: 11575
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
I think @Anthony has got it absolutely correct.

Considering the possible readership there needs to be some care in writing to the thread about "business"otherwise it just turns into a bun fight.

Apart from replies from the excellent input from @ddmarshall,@Anthony & @Leendert Kip this thread for example is pure fiction:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/412...

Some comments made must have come from Alice In Wonderland with no caveats, for example, on the use of Beta programmes or the use of so called cleaners.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Contributor 30th Apr, 2010 21:59
thanks Maurice for your comments. I agree and understand about the 'bun fight'. This danger was mentioned in the original thread:
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/409...

The reason I mentioned those programs was that I'd come across them in threads where you, Anthony & Mogs had given help. They seemed to me to be of 'general' use i.e. not with a specific problem in mind. Which is why, as a PC simpleton, I thought they'd help me - which they did - and therefore others too.

The obvious answer was to ask you guys to help everybody by posting your recommended programs here but Anthony has explained why that's not as simple as I thought it would be.

Whether this thread becomes a regular feature or not will depend on reaction to this one - I understand that and won't be offended if my idea gets the "thumbs down" from everybody!

Have a great weekend, everybody.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+1
mogs RE: “OPEN DOOR” - General hints, tips and chat. May 2010.
Expert Contributor 30th Apr, 2010 22:48
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
Yeah.....agreeing with some of Maurice's comment......any shark could be reading this.....it's nice to create feelings of neutrality or ambience....but some things ought to be discouraged ?
Maybe we could/should work on perspectives here ? Common objectives....Secunia forum health ? How oft a new user is " full of aggression "( exageration?); "suicidal " or just looking for something to attack? Phishing, etc., etc.? How oft Secunia bashing isn't encouraged; pandered to ? They don't always have to give away much to receive ? I'm another year older ! If I get things right, it's not always how I feel ?! One post wonders....too many ? Some commitment to progress ? dill often seemed quite passionate.....it must be ill health of some kind......totally disheartened and discouraged ?

Sadness can do strange things......I'm not pretentiously up-beat ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
michaelsalis RE: “OPEN DOOR” - General hints, tips and chat. May 2010.
Member 1st May, 2010 11:08
Score: 57
User Since: 18th Feb 2009
System Score: 98%
Whilst I can understand and appreciate all the comments posted here so far especially those about randomly suggesting programs/software, I can also appreciate the need for a place for less able computer users to seek reassurance from others they trust.

I have found program specific forums, especially ones for computer/internet security eg Norton, Malwarebytes and the like, to be a very difficult place to find relevant/unbiased advice, there are too many "fanboys" and "knockers" and one has to filter out a lot of unnecessary rubbish.

Perhaps this is the joy of Secunia the topics cover a huge range of programs/software and problems that it rarely tumbles into the problems I have found as mentioned above. It is understandable that people would come here for more general advice and help.

I am sure we have all come across "experts" who know all the right words but in reality know very little, there are several where I am working at the moment, I am sure it would be useful to seek some reassurance from a place you can trust like the forums here.

How this is best achieved I am not sure but perhaps this is one way of helping those who need assistance.

--
Michael
Toshiba Satelite A660
Intel i7
Windows 7 Ultimate
IE9

Toshiba Equium Laptop
Intel Centrino Duo
Windows Vista Ultimate SP2
IE9
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 1st May, 2010 11:28
Last edited on 1st May, 2010 11:30
Hey taffy ,

Where's that "joke" bin ?? No puns , thank you , we may need to help hide Maurice's very funny but subversive "joke" on another thread ; minus 5 points is nothing : Secunia Officials can run up to minus 100 EACH. He could be going for a Eurovision "nul points" valuation!!

Get it sorted if you can .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 1st May, 2010 14:42
I thought you were joking about the joke bin, Anthony!
Are you suggesting a separate monthly/quarterly thread for that?

Or were you joking! ;0)

I've just found Maurice's "craplet" definition! Should we start a collection for him now!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 1st May, 2010 14:44
Fred (Dillpick): are you OK, my friend?

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 3rd May, 2010 14:00
Last edited on 3rd May, 2010 14:00
I see there are some new members in today. Have you read this? What are your views? Please! ;0)

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 5th May, 2010 09:42
Morning all ! The door was open....I'm not sure if it's the right place: I put a few words on paper first, most mornings. Friends will be the first to tell me if it's crap !

We're all the poorer for many a kipper or snorer; or the devil never sleeps ?
The biggest taker is the State you happen to be in, or it's children ?
I don't expect much back from Israel ?!
Breakfast isn't always on a Satellite dish ?
I hav'nt robbed the Health Service blind !!
If the books don't balance by the next Good Friday ?!
History or senility is always repeating itself......I'm quite well....not Slick ?!

How big is the Syndrome....is rhetoric the medicine ?
Forgive me if sometimes I'm in a more oppressive place and tending to be too cryptic ?!
Have a ggod day.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 5th May, 2010 10:54
good morning Mogs.
and a ggod day to you too. Was it a good night out? ;0)

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 5th May, 2010 22:16
Got a call out soon after posting taffy: hence the delay in replying.
What are you doin' following my unintentional spelling mistakes ?! Or maybe we've got the same impediment ?! A long way from Coventry today; tho' you wouldn't have known it...it's not always that somebody really converses,,,let alone speaks !!
This way at least we get to avoid any clashes or misunderstandings and preconceptions in accents.....this way someone might think I was polished ?! Homer was particularly good at it....I'm not trying to get to Olympia thro' secret passes....my pen-written E's may look a bit Greek !!! I don't do epics nor marathons.....it gets lighter every morning....I've been a long time realizing some things !! I'm not an ugly duck nor a Vietnamese vet, trying to get thro' swamp in a rush, with a reed ?!! My concience oft prevents me from getting lost....really very neat ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: “OPEN DOOR” - General hints, tips and chat. May 2010.
Contributor 6th May, 2010 05:18
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
To Whom it may concern;

Let's see, I pushed the green button and lights came on... now I point the arrow thingy at the little picture that has the caption 'Internet'... OK, now, click on that... now to find where it says 'Secunia'... oh fudge, my e-mail deally-bob says I have 516 unread e-mails... I'll have to remember to delete those later... there's the Secunia Forum gizzmo... wow, that's a relief, sans sparks & smoke...

Stanley Kubrick's movie "The Shining" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shining_(film) , based on Stephen King's novel, has to be the favorite of my youth. One of the best scenes is where Jack Nicholson chops a hole in the door with a fire axe, puts his head through the hole and to his terrified family proclaims "Heeeers Johnny!". This was an inside joke, while his characters name was John, it was a barb directed @ Johnny Carson, the talk show host.

Now, after that lengthy explanation:

Heeeers Freddy

Have I exceeded the string count yet?!?

Anyhoo, I'm fine (thanks for the concern), just a combination of busy, burned out and ticked off. Not at anyone here (Secunia Forum) BTW, mostly at people here (Missouri). That's confusing, I live in two 'here's', no wonder I'm so lost. If I remember my Astrophysics, no single entity can exist in more than one place in space time. Unless you believe Einstein's space warp theory. Boggles the mind, don't it?

Hope this finds everyone well & happy.

@Taffy; I personally have no problem 'talking' about the attributes of various programs. It is usually beneficial to have an open discussion about such. I do have a couple of point though.

1) The topic needs to be about 'Pros & Cons' with very little 'I think' thrown in.

2) The objective to be maintained is, what (program, in this case) will work best for this particular situation. The best solution this time may work poorly under/for different circumstances/users.

@Mogs; Keep after them, someone has to make them mind!

@Ant; :)

Now I see the boredom meter is off the scale, so I'll take my leave. Do not be concerned, I'll be back soon. Possibly this weekend.

My best;

Fred

OK, now click the reply button... OH CRAP! I forgot to copy my post...

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Contributor 6th May, 2010 07:25
great to 'see' you again, Fred!

Re the contents of this thread, assuming there is support for it continuing, then I'm sure it will evolve along some of the lines you've mentioned.

There is also the possibility of a new 'sticky' *** so whether that will take the place of this depends on members & Secunia!

*** Perhaps this would then become the 'humour trash can' - as Anthony hinted at!! ;0)

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 6th May, 2010 07:56
Good morning to you Fred !!! Great to see your alive and kicking !! You'd added a great deal of wonder, mystery, consternation, and just a little bit of investigative posting to all our lives !!!
This will have to be quick....gotta get off to work....see ya soon.
Don't let 'em grind you down Fred !

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 7th May, 2010 17:22
can anyone recommend a firewall/filter that will stop all web pages relating to the UK general election from appearing?

Only joking of course. I stayed up all night watching the results on TV and now have election overload.

One newly-elected Member of (UK) Parliament was being interviewed with his family alongside him. His four-years old daughter asked 'do all fairy tales begin with "Once upon a time", daddy?'

The MP, her father, replied, 'No, some begin with - If I am elected.'

That may not 'translate' well but one thing that is probably true across the whole world is that all governments are sneaky. They all raise the tax on alcohol, then make sure that your country is in such a mess that you have to drink more.

Now, where's Anthony's "bad joke" bin . . . . . . .

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 7th May, 2010 21:33
Rub a dub dub' three men in a tub......................
Some promises MAY be kept,
To wives (plurality ?); partners, ex's (!), or daughters ?!
There is no perfect system....politics isn't one religion.
It's not exactly lying ?
There's got to be forty year old secrets ?
The truth MAY eventually show up in The Wash ?!
I'm not a Johnny come lately: I'm not sinking nor swimming ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 8th May, 2010 06:42
Last edited on 8th May, 2010 06:46
Please put this in the 'for what it's worth' bin.

There are several constants in the universe:

> The speed of light.

> All motion stops @ absolute zero.

> You can tell when a politician is lying, his mouth will be open.

The above pun is nobody's responsibility other than my own. Do not become alarmed and rush to the exits, please leave in an orderly manner. Thank you!

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 8th May, 2010 08:55
I'm not up to scratch ! My writing is up to date ?
I'm "vulnerable" to criticism,the wrong medicine, hackers and vandals !!
I hav'nt got a brand new pair of trainers nor rollerskates !
Daddy has'nt bought me.......
a new Cadillac nor Swiss Army knife, in the Bronx ?!

I've got more than three wheels on my wagon !!!
All this at about half seven in the morning !
I don't do self harming !
I'm not an alarming new kid on the block ?!

I hav'nt got a bullet proof screen nor jacket !!
Home is'nt an old castle !
I'll get by with a little help from my friends in the international/galactic police federation or Rock ?!
I think my poetry has suffered a lot !!!!!!!!!!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 8th May, 2010 15:04
Mogs - may I post the following poem of yours, one that you wrote just after you got your first PC?

"Eye have a spelling chequer, witch came with my PC –
And plainly marques four my revue mistakes I mite knot sea.
Hive run this poem threw it, hand I’m shore your pleased too no
That its letter perfect in it’s weigh –
My chequer tolled me sew."

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 8th May, 2010 17:14
That looks like your writing taff !! I'll have you done for misrepresentation/fraud/over-zealous portrayal/ defamation; and anything else I can dream or fit up !! You are to bardic artistry what Les Dawson was to playing the piano....have you been drinking....it does'nt always show up in many a straight line !!
Have you ever read "Etiquette" by either Gilbert or Sullivan(?)....I can't put my hands on the old book at the moment, to verify it's origins. It's possibly more suited to oratory of some kind than quietude and meditation.Gist of the theme is about two chaps who get shipwrecked on a desert island....they found they both had an old schoolfriend in common ( one Robinson )? I won't spoil it for you !

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 8th May, 2010 22:36
"Mogs said" That looks like your writing taff !! "

I confess, Mogs - twas I. Living in Yorkshire (UK) & being Welsh, I've learned to speak 'yabadabadosey', I'm almost fluent - which is why I nedd my Spel Chequer.

I am totally fed up up with the election advice on TV - worse than all those junk emails! ;0)

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 8th May, 2010 22:37
Thank you for your "Godmode" advice, Maurice.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th May, 2010 00:35
That's okay then taffy......flint stones can sometimes be useful.....we're not in any north/south barneys.....this gun ain't for hire ?! We're not spelling in the dark ?!
My trigger finger has'nt turned septic......I hav'nt fallen in with a bad crowd ?! I never knew T Rex nor Dino ?! Believe you me.....things can get quite traumatic ?! I can still use an ink horn....when I was young rhinocerus I seemed to have more friends ?! Some works are an abomination !! I'm not bitter nor poisonous, and I hav'nt hardened my heart ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 9th May, 2010 06:29
Last edited on 9th May, 2010 06:44
My word!

I pop in for a moment to see what's going on and look at you two! Someone's rearranged buttons on Taffy's keyboard and Mog's is writing as if he were John Lennon reincarnate.

@Taff, don't know if elected officials are quite the same over there. Anymore, if I recognize their name they have been in office too long. I vote for the other guy.

@Mog's, Write me a lullaby to calm me after a hard day. Not to be a complainer but your poems have a bit of 'growl & snap' of late. :0

Will check tomorrow for useful info about programs & other pertinent issues. :)

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th May, 2010 09:19
Did you like Lennon before or after he did India with the group or Japan without them Fred ?! Sometimes I'm growling and snapping, but I don't do sea shanties ?
I'm not at sea with a quick change of songs/themes and the sheets ? I'm not a pleasure craft tied up at the dock ?!
I only got to hear of them after Hamburg etc : personally, I liked Lennon before some edges got knocked off. Maybe there's less chances for peace when swamped in fame and popularity, and one's bed is open ( never mind the door!); to the press ?! There may be all kinds of fours who could singalong easily of course.....over here; a Cardiffian accent is sometimes confused with Liverpuddlian.....it's true tho'....they are often very friendly.
Sorry , I have lots of difficulty with smooth talking and lullabies Fred.....life's possibly been too unkind.....I did'nt start out as the very wary person I've become. Don't wannabe a lion : don't like playin' too rough.....I don't know where my kids always got their ideas and habits from.....I used to read lots to them at bedtime !!!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 9th May, 2010 15:28
Fred - I thought that the most well-known lullaby in the world was "Rock-a-bye baby". But the ending is not at all soothing!

"Rock-a-bye baby on the treetop
When the wind blows, the cradle will rock
When the bough breaks, the cradle will fall
And down will come baby, cradle and all".

i.e. 'go to sleep, my little darling, and later you'll fall out of the tree'!

What about the Mocking Bird (improvised) - is this soothing enough, Fred?

"Hush little freddy, don't say a word, Mogs's gonna buy you a mockingbird.
If that mockingbird won't sing, Mogs's gonna buy you a diamond ring.
If that diamond ring is brass, Mogs's gonna buy you a looking glass.

If that looking glass gets broke, Mogs's gonna buy you a billy goat.
If that billy goat won't pull, Mogs's gonna buy you a cart and bull.
If that cart and bull turns over, Mogs's gonna buy you a dog named Rover.
If that dog named Rover won't bark, Mogs's gonna buy you a horse and cart.

If that horse and cart fall down, you can chase that Mogs right out of town.."

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 9th May, 2010 15:39
or this, Fred:

"After a long hard day, full of sweat and toil,
with my brain just coming to the boil,
My blood pressure's high and my mood is low
so there's no way I can "go with the flow"
I need to relax, unwind, de-stress,
but where to go, I must confess
the only way I can get off this floor
is to visit Secunia - and the "Open Door".

(Tune: 'Shearing the Sheep' by Taffy & The Zimmers - #1 in 1849).

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th May, 2010 22:47
Last edited on 9th May, 2010 22:48
After many years of works toil and labour...don't wanna waste any breath...just about enough strength to pick up the pen then.
And the inevitable wilderness of bread.
It can seem impossible to find those senses of restfulness and peace; all's right with the world (!); some hearts might feel betrayed. Oh no ! Not the mower !
I flippin' love my Sundays....the sound of a crow in the morning is sometimes kind of homey. Nope, I ain't growin' the roses !
Time to unjangle some keys and untangle some threads: restore my Soul....I don't feel so fragmented (!)....there's no hope for Humpty ?! Keep the saucepan boiling and leave out the egg ?!

A Job's comforter ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 9th May, 2010 23:13
Last edited on 9th May, 2010 23:14
@Mogs, Lennon & McCartney both made more lyrical sense (to me) early on. When other 'concerns' took priority over their music, it wasn't their music any more, it was the promoter's/agent's music. I have a hard time understanding artistic types, I'm more of a black and white type. If you love something, enjoy doing it every day, make a buck or two and it makes others happy in the process, that is great. When you're more worried about being cheated & being talked about and in turn do the same, to quote a line, "Bah! Humbug!". You don't even want to know what I thought Yoko brought to the mix. Sorry, probably more answer than required.

Also perhaps you're a lion wearing kid gloves?

@Taffy, I'm getting sleepy. Quit it already!

How did the Garmin deal turn out?

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th May, 2010 23:32
I ain't trying to edit and cut you short Fred !! My skin's the only thing my metacarpuls are in ?! We're not always having to return to Middle C ? What's to talk about....gossip flippin' bores me.....what Yoko did for Lennon or the Beatles...you don't think I'm a Philedelphian do you ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 10th May, 2010 01:14
Hi Mogs;

Cut myself short to save a rant, oh well. I cherish and guard my freedoms. Sometimes, as the song says, "Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to loose.". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Me_and_Bobby_McGee (I like Janis Joplin's version) Other times People obnoxiously demand their 'freedoms' and consider you high handed and arrogant if they don't get their own way. My core freedoms being: The right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. The obnoxious being akin to a three years old crying and stomping his/her foot for a piece of candy. Now I feel better, thanks.

What to talk about? Dead singers are as safe a topic as any I suppose. Unless the guy on the next bar stool likes the one you just put down. In that case, duck!

Over here in Missouri, we do not repeat gossip! So be sure to listen close the first time.

If Philadelphia is not to your liking, perhaps San Francisco? I hear they have cable cars among other things!

All in good humor;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 10th May, 2010 09:14
I guess I'm freer here, than in work or at the bar ?
A few words a day may never go around in circles ?
All my worldly possessions on one level ?
No garage to pay for ?!

I think I reminded my mother of my father !
When he died, she left off answering my handwritten letters.
I guess she must have been happier ;
and who am I to trample on the widow's border ?!

Frisco.....favourite actor....Steve McQueen....the car chase in Bullit.
Favourite film.....Cincinatti Kid.
Karl Malden.....The Shooter.
All I need is a few aces ?!
No Vegas and the one-armed bandits !
Where are they now ? Anne Margaret ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 12th May, 2010 07:36
Last edited on 12th May, 2010 07:37
HMS Littletub to "USS Nimitz "...." You don't seem to be creating any waves today ! .......are you in Stealth mode or have you developed any secrets in silent running ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 12th May, 2010 08:50
Fred - re Garmin SatNav, they agree with my suggestion that I wait until the latest update is available on disk.
I was tempted to try to download it on my laptop but as there were no replies to my post, I decided against it.
By the way, your reply made me laugh. But I see your sense of humour cost you two marks!!
Mogs - I missed the story behind your post. I was going to link it to the eleven missing pirates but that's probably non PC (politically correct).

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 12th May, 2010 09:35
Morning taffy !
I think I'm more of..." if you hav'nt learnt the lingo, come back in two years ", than swift checking in and out making economic sense !! A commitment to citizenship/friendship should mean no raising of bombmakers...or I've got to learn to couch more of it ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 15th May, 2010 20:07
Flippin' heck taffy...this post has to be kept in the daily postings, else new users won't know about it....and older ones may have tendencies towards forgetfulness: ( a terrible disease !)!!
The new Chrome dev release is going like a rocket....I don't find it at all rough at the edges!
Did you know you can set CCleaner to make up to 35 passes (Gutmann ) when cleaning....tho' it is a little bit slower; it may be worth the sacrifice, for a more thorough job.
Have you noticed the Tracks Cleaner:( in Revouninstaller ): at the bottom of the Optimization panel, beneath the Junk File Cleaner ( about 2000kb trash a day ): there's another five cleaners in there that may be found useful.
Never mind tooth combs.....where's the eye shadow brush ?! Ha!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 15th May, 2010 22:34
Microsoft has upped the pressure on any customers still running Internet Explorer 6 to upgrade the flagship browser, with a marketing campaign likening the product to stale milk.

A specially crafted web page, mainly aimed at its Australian customers, asks the question: “You wouldn’t drink nine year old milk, so why use a nine year old browser?”

It goes on to explain that the security features on IE6, although cutting edge at the time, have become outdated.

Read more: http://www.computeractive.co.uk/v3/news/2263091/mi...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 15th May, 2010 23:09
Give your computer a longer life
Over time every PC will begin to slow down. We explain some simple ways to get a computer back up to speed
Written by Kelvyn Taylor, Computeractive
30 Mar 2010
PCs don’t grow old gracefully. After a short time, your once-nippy Windows XP or Vista PC can feel as though its hard disk is running in a bath of super-thick custard. And after a few years the problem can get so bad the PC is almost unusable. It can take forever to start up and then promptly stops or slows to a crawl whenever you try to do anything useful with it.

If this sounds familiar, don’t worry. There are lots of ways to fix a sluggish PC that won’t cost you a penny. In some cases performance improvement is so good that a PC previously destined for the scrap heap is good for another year or two of use. And in these financially uncertain times, that has to be worth a try.

Read more: http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/fea...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Contributor 16th May, 2010 08:01
Hi Mogs. Yes you're right! This thread needs a daily posting to make new members aware of it. I've been too bogged down with my PC issues recently to have posted here but I will try hrader!! [edit:]Harder, too.

BTW is it possible for you to remove that part of your signature about "press accept to lock" in case someone does?
Regards

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 16th May, 2010 08:35
Morning taffy !
I've noticed you've got a lot on at the moment....hope it's going well for you.
Just a few minutes a day tho' for a chat, witticism, general hint tip or clue....as the originator of this thread you are the only one that can lock it (?)...that was my understanding of it....once a month ? You're not a self-harmer either?! Ha !
I thought it was to be a brighter day here; but really quite dull...what's it like in Yorkshire ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 16th May, 2010 22:00
It's been a "OMG, not again" day, Mogs. I'm going to sleep on it but my inclination now is to cancel our new contract with Sky tomorrow and go back to BT. We've had non-stop problems with our broadband and now with our phones, too.

When I decide, I'll tell Maurice - he's been his usual brilliant helpful self. And patient too!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Otherwise, I'm very well!!! It's been Karcher day - pressure washing cars, drives, footpaths and anyone daft enough to stand still for too long! Great fun.

I watched some cricket and also some old american baseball games so a question for you Fred, if you pop in later:
do you think all these dropped catches are getting out of hand?

I've just realised Mogs that the 'Accept' button only appears on the original poster's screen - I think!

Have a great week. Going far?

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: “OPEN DOOR” - General hints, tips and chat. May 2010.
Member 17th May, 2010 09:19
on 16th May, 2010 08:01, taffy078 wrote:

BTW is it possible for you to remove that part of your signature about "press accept to lock" in case someone does?
Regards

Hi,

No, this is not possible. That would require two separate signatures, one for unlocked threads, and one for locked ones, or allowing user-scripting on the forum.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 17th May, 2010 10:50
thank you Emil.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th May, 2010 08:03
Morning taffy...and any other readers at home or in adobes !!
How you getting on with all your switches and changes taff ? Are you less depressed than suicidal today ?!
I found a new Start menu for Vista yesterday ( apparently it works for other Window's versions as well )....more info at the touch of the button....more choice of skins etc., etc.; some good reports, but I'm just gonna see how I get along with it.
Freed up some space with the Tracks Cleaner/Evidence Remover in Revo.....it seems complete removal is better than simple deletion....improving speed of navigation.....Chrome is definately not Retro !! Another BTD.....CPU is lessening every time. Got a new (for me) System Monitor gadget....keep it on all the time.

Beautiful day here in Wales.....not too far from the sea.....the rubbish must be somewhere else....this morning, I can't hear the familiar flock of seagulls !!
Have a good day everybody !

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th May, 2010 08:15
Last edited on 18th May, 2010 08:20
Type: freeware Platform: Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista Manufacturer:Dennis Nazarenko Size: 5.3MB
Review Rating:Average User Rating:
Rate this downloadPrice:Free Number of downloads:
The Start Menu is something used every day but the options for personalising it are rather limited. The Vista Start Menu is an alternative that puts more information on the screen when you click on the Start button.

Installation is simple and the Vista Start Menu replaces the ordinary Start menu. This can be reversed and an icon placed in the Quick Launch toolbar instead.

There are options for customising the Vista Start Menu and the button for accessing these is clearly visible.

advertisement

The disadvantage with showing more information on the screen is that the Vista Start Menu can appear a little overwhelming when it appears.

Despite the name, this Start Menu replacement tool can be used on 2000, or XP, as well as Vista and Windows 7. It supports the 64-bit versions of Windows as well. There is a Pro version that can be customised with more options than this free one. It can be purchased from the Vista Start Menu website.

Version 3 added feature including the facility to add a dividing line between your apps, within your main menu. The latest version 3.65 fixes some bugs.

PS....Where I first discovered Secunia !!!

Read more: http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/dow...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Contributor 18th May, 2010 08:44
thank you Mogs. Regarding re-installing all my stuff, I'm getting there slowly. Most software now in and running. Just off to PCWorld to see where they backed up all my stuff - their folder is empty! But I remain an optomist.

I don'tthink I'll try that program you mention just yet - I'm not at that stage of my "re-build"!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 18th May, 2010 08:46
A technical question for you Mogs: I posted some replies yesterday to a new thread about "speeding up your PC" - it seemed clear to me that it was an advert, at best as he'd also posted many identical posts elsewhere. I'd found these by searching via Norton Search. Their Safe Web had showed one site as safe and then when I was in it, it changed to insecure, or whatever the red means, so I wanted to tell them.

The name of the site was in my reply. But I can't find it now.

Does that mean that Secunia have removed that thread?

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th May, 2010 08:55
Can't you find it in "My Threads " ? I've just had a quick look thro'.....can't see it either....I seem to remember it.....something about a defragger wasn't it ?
Don't worry about the prog I mentioned to you....it'll still be available later when you're ready.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th May, 2010 11:22
Last edited on 18th May, 2010 11:37
Hello taffy ,

The thread you were looking for has definitely disappeared ; so Secunia have zapped it early doors , probably so it did not run on like one of the recent ones - saves you a couple of "thumbs down" :)) Although your humour was obvious this time , it was to me anyroad .

The site you were looking for was not picked up by Norton but the transfer was , so the site advisor did it's job - you do not need to report it , it told you . The original link may have been "cleanish" but the second one you were linked to was "dirty" .

It does show that the system works ; just remember that the advisers are only as good as they are up to date - some can be months out of date for a website .

Nothing is 100% , likewise programmes such as MalwareBytes' ; it's only as good as the user . Closing the link "tout de suite" as you did was the essential action , scanning afterwards with MBAM was sensible .

The website in question deals in crackware , torrents , etc (if I remember correctly) and that is where you can get badly burned. You may have gone there on a noble search of a spammer but that's when your "site advisor" is key - don't go where angels fear to tread ; as I previously mentioned to you I use one that takes info from 7 advisors , including Norton .

Safe surfing rules and caveat emptor at all times for me :))

Hi Mogs , keep taking the "happy" pills :))

Here's some pre-Hamburg stuff - saw them all live ; John doing "Twist 'n Shout" about 10 feet away from me !!! an indelible memory (did it last at their gigs , "t' save me frowght " - that's scouse not cardiff :)))))

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rory_Storm

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 18th May, 2010 14:48
Thanks Anthony!

I had a Sky HD+ box fitted yesterday. The first program on after the engineer had gone was Status Quo's Montreux concert. Fantastico - as they say on the Wirral!
Pictutre was so great that I was there and the volume I had it at has probably pushed the volcanic cloud back to Iceland!
Sid's Law, by the way - PC World backed up my desktop before replacing the faulty hard drive. The only thing that didn't save was everything in my profile!.

That'll teach me not to regulary back up stuff - in the past!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th May, 2010 16:09

Hi taffy ,

Hope the fitting went well ; do you wear it under or over your clothes ??

There are two types of people in this world , you and two of my very good friends are in the SQ fan group : fortunately I am not . I am with you all the way with HD+ vision , mega stereo (old style Bose "wooden" frame !! ;)) speakers and set the volume control to 11 (ŕ la "Spinal Tap") !!

The three rules of computing are :-

1)Back up (anything/everything you cannot afford to lose )

2)Back up ( """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" )

3)Back up ( """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" )

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th May, 2010 20:43
Back from Coventry thro' Warwickshire today ( Shakespeare country ).
Did'nt see one sword raised in anger !
Did'nt pay any Soul, toll on the road !
Passed by the River Arrow,
and saw a few thatched rooves.
I don't know much about Stratford :
never got to Anne Hathaway's cottage gate !
I don't know what Will wanted to go to London for !
Why he turned from plays to poetry, whilst still comparitively young:
he must have offended some....a verse may have been too late ?!
I'm not following Chaucer either...my earlier sonnets may look old fashioned !
My pen is'nt feathery,brittle, two- edged nor broken ( never mind the slings 'n things !):
Muse ! How to avoid today's hail, stress and pace ?!
Geetar and the rhythm method ?! General amnesty international ?!
Quo ? When the table does'nt shake ?!

It's not a secret what I have in my tea and coffee Anthony ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 19th May, 2010 07:11
Hello!

Mogs - you said: "It's not a secret what I have in my tea and coffee Anthony ?!" Is that the stuff they put in soldier's drinks? ;0)

Anthony - thanks for your advice!

Another technical question for you in a second.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 19th May, 2010 07:23
I installed my 'off the shelf' Office - Students Version on this laptop (Windows 7).
Word is the latest version - 2007.

As you know, it comes witha few different margins settings and a 'customise' button.

But the cursor always appears on the top line.

Whatever settings I try doesn't change it. I've looked at the different view but no explanation there. I have no such problems with my desktopm which is XP.

Is a Win7 bug causing this? Has anyone else had this problem?

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 19th May, 2010 10:31
Which ribbon are U using to set up?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 19th May, 2010 12:17
Hi Maurice. If 'ribbon' is a technical' term then I don't understand it.
If however you are referring to a typewriter, then you've just made me laugh a lot.

By the way, today's local newspaper is reporting that the police arrested two kids yesterday; one was drinking battery acid, the other was eating fireworks.
The police charged one and let the other one off.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 19th May, 2010 12:26
Last edited on 19th May, 2010 12:27
Office 2007 works on ribbons.

Open Word.
On the top line U will see Home - Page Layout - References - etc.

Click on them & it reveals data called ribbons - which one are U using for margins?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 19th May, 2010 12:28
I've just googled (or, rather, NortonSafeSearched) and found that there is a computing term "ribbon", per this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ribbon_(computing)

I'm still none the wiser though! I simply loaded the Office disc and it auto-ran etc.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 19th May, 2010 12:59
is this what you meant Maurice?

I opened Word/New, saw the cursor on the top line and tried (unsucessfully0 to change it via Page Layout / Margins.

Sorry for all the emails I'm generating for you.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 19th May, 2010 13:18
That is correct. When U click on a header like Page Layout it displays a Ribbon with all the options to work on.

Just alter the settings within the ribbon to meet the requirements for your Word Document. It is a one time change.

If U are trying to change margins Globally within Word U are in the wrong area.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 19th May, 2010 20:02
Just trying out my new "computer-orientated" reading glasses ! They seem to necessitate looking more closely at the screen. I'd got into a bad habit of occasionally taking a peek at the telly, and a few adjustments had to be made.

taffy.....My comment re the tea/coffee content, was made in reply to Anthony's 'bout the "happy" pills....I did'nt use them in the late sixties nor have any need now. They may have been commonplace in Vietnam ? Don't know much about secret tests.....heard about bromide....all my kids are around the forty mark....another generation may start asking questions ?! No sweat ? Leaks ?! "Where were you Dad "?! My grandfather was entrenched, not in a rut ! Lots of things can seem quite funny later.....we did'nt always have a firewall.....bugs may be proliferating like nuclear ?! Negotiation/De-escalation....pressure....I'm sure I knew I was born !! There may be a more cavalier attitude in entertainment ?!
Where's Fred ? With another safe subject ?!
It may be very easy to be lulled ?!
Chess is a musical ? None of the pieces is stretched, missing or frayed ?!
My sense of humour is'nt always obvious ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 20th May, 2010 07:27
Genesis.........alternative title[ Quotes ad infinitum ].

"The heart will study to answer " or " We don't need no education "?
A guerilla may not hear a drone...feel anything coming ?
Love is in the air or red propaganda ?
Girls just wanna have fun ?

Who was with an atomic kitten at the crossroads ?!
"Push the button"....a choice of colours ?
Who's got a dog by it's ears ?
" Light up my love "...as if you've got all the choice ?
What's autism ?!!!!

Do your own snow patrols !
" All along the watchtower "?
Who's high handed, on what mountain ?
This is'nt a chicken run ?
Who's Drumstick ?!
What's a lethal coctail ?
Get my drift ?!

Have a good day everybody.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 20th May, 2010 07:59
Hi Mogs. Bromide - that's it. (Before my time!)

I've tried singing your song to the tunes of "There's a hole in my bucket", "I'd like to teach the world to sing" and also the european anthem "Ode to Joy". (is it Beethoven's 5th?) They nearly fit.

So where are you off to today, Mogs?

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 20th May, 2010 08:04
hello Maurice - our previous posts crossed, so to update:

I opened Word/New, saw the cursor on the top line and tried to change it*** via Page Layout / Margins.

The side margins change but not the top/bottom, which is why I wondered if it was a bug. I may uninstall/reinstall Word later if I've time.

*** This was as a one-off change. I know how to make global changes to templates in XP but haven't yet had time to look at Win7.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 20th May, 2010 08:58
Last edited on 20th May, 2010 09:08
Bromide was before my time as well...I hope....I don't know as an absolute fact !

Tho' poetry as free verse does'nt always need to rhyme; if it happens to; I find it more pleasurable....personally. What is more important is the message perhaps....than the beat, rhythm or blues or metre ?! Thanks for trying it out taff....it's definately not classical enough for a Land of Hope and Glory type of rendition ? You don't think I'd "fit in" in more popular music ? I'm definately not Brahms nor base ?! The frost ( rime) of the ancient mariner is'nt all mine ?! How about " We are sailing"?! Some rods are'nt for scrap ?!
I'm not ironing the curtains ?! Home is where there's more or less issues.....baby in the middle of the Trade Winds ?!
I remember throwing a compo biscuit to a German boy, just before....was it the last referendum ? ....and thinking is Europe a really good thing. Now we're so heavily subsidised....no prefab sprouts ?!
I never used to like tuna....hake before cod ?
PS....don't know where I'm goin' today.....was up without the alarm, but still waiting on the call !

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 20th May, 2010 10:54

Words by F.Schiller Esq., best known music is the final bit of Ludwig van's 9th :-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ode_to_Joy

Keep writing Mogs ,Keep singing taffy . You could be Wales' next entry for Eurovision :)) "Douze points" from France !!

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 20th May, 2010 14:37
:0) anthony.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 20th May, 2010 17:25

Concerning "Happy Pills" , I was actually thinkin' of Barça (for a nice day out) :-

http://mocoloco.com/archives/004309.php

or , maybe , for heavy lifting at delivery time :-

http://www.tigerfitness.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pro...

Don't think Bromide was for happiness , neither is this :-

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/143067.ph...

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 21st May, 2010 06:49
Hi all;

Thunderstorms one after another here. Been having the electronics unplugged alot. Seems I've missed quite a bit here.

As I write it is late here and have a busy next few days. Should have time Sunday to catch up.

See how this goes over:

A farmer was hauling manure on his wagon. He went past the home for mental patients several times. He'd go by with a load on, then come back by empty. After many trips and as the sun rose high, the temperature soared. The horse & man both needed refreshment. Stopping under a shade tree in front of the asylum, there was a pump & water trough. Not wanting to be a poor neighbor, by taking with out asking, he addressed the house, "Hello there, would it be possible to water my animal and have a drink myself?". A fellow sitting on the porch replied, "Of course, the water is for anyone, help yourself." Filling the trough first, he took a cup off the pump, filled it and sat under a tree to rest. The man on the porch asked, "If I could know sir, what are you doing with all that manure?". The farmer explained, "I'm putting it on my strawberries.". Two of the residents spoke amongst themselves and quietly chuckled. Then the first made the suggestion, "You should come by here Thursdays, we get sugar & cream on ours!!".

Fred

If this has answered your question (I would be shocked)
please click on "Accept" to lock this thread.

If it has not answered your question (more likely)
please click on "Accept" anyhow, I need the points!

thank you.

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 21st May, 2010 08:36
How good is a word this Season ?
The merry month of May......how good is it here ?
Brotherhood.....treaty, truce....which union agreement ?
Some great composers got pushed by their mothers or father ?
Ours was'nt great white nor shotgun !
Power corrupts....absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Friendship is'nt such a big deal ?

There's not enough known about moderation ?
Horses are only for water....I'm not drowning in oil ?!

Have a good day everybody....I don't think I'll get embroiled in political sincerity!!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 21st May, 2010 08:42
goog morning Mogs - off anywhere exciting today?
Hi, and bye, Fred. You've just caused my wife to ask what was I laughing at!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 21st May, 2010 08:59
Morning taffy/ Fred.
Today is another " unknown quantity ". It's often stretched ....eats in to my weekend....no, it's not my favourite day. I'm usually "on thorns " thinking " will I be home for a reasonable time". It's been quiet times despite early rising....nothing would surprise me....it does'nt do miracles/wonders for my rhyme !!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 21st May, 2010 13:02
Thanks for the health tips Anthony.....for all my moans/groans/aches/pains and infirmities.....I'm at nil intake of the paracetamol.....apart from one or two sharp peaks showing in an imaginary twenty year graph.....I'm at one bottle of a cheap red per week !! In fairness, price rises in that commodity hav'nt risen so steeply as a tin of sardines ?! Californian/Ozzie when on offer ? I can't seem to afford oft a Chianti ! Some bottles may be like old friends.....the weather is'nt good to this crushed grape ?! A German every day helps digestion ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 22nd May, 2010 20:08
I don't wanna spend my time looking around more palacious mueums:
I don't need a paddock nor very large plot.
I'm not interested in ancient Egyptian artifacts.
My bones don't need drilling to find what I've eaten and drunk !!
Whether it was warm, cooked, processed, tropical or raw ?!

When did I write; was it flawless ?
Ashes is a different story.
I'm not feeling buried alive in a Roman forum !!
I hav'nt got an organ for posterity !!
I don't need to learn three kinds of Persian ?!
I'm not gladiatorial learning a more intelligent code ?!

I'm alive to multitudinous threats to international world council ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 22nd May, 2010 20:54
Q I like Firefox but recently it has been crashing. A ‘Crash screen’ gives the opportunity to send a report to Mozilla, but there is never a response. Has anyone got a fix for this?
James Hunniford

A It is rare to get a direct response from an error report submission. We have received links to more information from Microsoft after submitting error reports that have helped solve problems, however, so we still recommend sending these reports if you can.

On a more altruistic note, the more reports that a software company gets about a problem, the easier it is for them to fix it. You may not get an immediate response but the next update for the software may fix the problem.

Read more: http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/q-a...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 22nd May, 2010 20:58
Q I have read news online of security problems with Adobe Reader due to Javascript. I thought this was only used in web browsers.

John Townend

A We had not realised that Adobe Reader used Javascript either until this security announcement was made. We feel it’s better to turn it off because it can always be re-enabled later if needed.

advertisement

Start Adobe Reader and click on the Edit menu. Click on Preferences and then on Javascript in the left-hand column. Click in the box labelled ‘Enable Acrobat Javascript’ so the tick disappears and then click on OK to save the change. To re-enable it in future, return to this options window and click in the box so the tick appears.

Read more: http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/q-a...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 23rd May, 2010 09:33
Morning all !
No War of the Worlds nor Machines today !
A suitable title ? " I'm not with the Long Range Snipers nor malicious people ?"!
Don't you think there's too much hype ?

I did'nt manage to pass the English examination in High School.
I don't know the hand that marked it !
Of regiments served with....at the stroke of one or more pens....I did'nt die, but they're both defunct.

As an institution
marriage may "well" be an assylum, for an old crusader perhaps; or on it's way out ?
Nobody gave me the script/plot when I was born :
Try as I may; I hav'nt got a playwright's way:
I hav'nt got a prominent forehead nor jaw !

If I had a Samurai's pen could I change/influence or edit very much ?!
There we are.....I've given it all away ?
Peace is'nt a global rule, but it is very good counsel ?

Have a particularly good day everybody.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 23rd May, 2010 09:45
Good morrow, younger Mogs!

I'm still sad after watching the football (Cardiff City play-off game) yesterday.

I started gardening jobs (quiet ones) at around 5 a.m. yesterday so that I could watch the game, with a beer or two-plus, with a clear conscience.

Still, the garden is pleased with the result, even if I ain't!

PS First BBQ of the year. Temperature around 31 C. It was 41C at that football match. (Blast! I haven't yet got a note stored on this laptop on how to show the "degree" symbol. Does anyone remember?

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 23rd May, 2010 09:47
First BBQ of the year? How do U cook your Sunday roast?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 23rd May, 2010 10:06
"Guten morgen" Mr taffy !!
My son was very disappointed with the football result.....he does'nt get to see the bigger teams at the new stadium. Haps they'll do better next year after settling in.
I'm gonna have the other half of my Bulgarian Cabernet Sauvignon today..............
Wimbledon is not too far away....the strawberries may be more accessible ?! My distant uncle may have been a great Womble ?! It sometimes takes me a long time to dissemble matters !! I hope you'll say " understandable " !
I think the degree sign was found to be unavailable on my Satellite, or do another orbit ?! Where's Philias foggy ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
johnny3h RE: “OPEN DOOR” - General hints, tips and chat. May 2010.
Member 23rd May, 2010 19:03
Score: 0
User Since: 23rd May 2010
First, some background so you can tell where I"m "coming from," and the challenges I face.

1. I am a retired senior citizen with no IT knowledge or background which makes me a VERY slow learner.
2. I am still a computer NOVICE, which aggravates the situation.
3. As mentioned by a previous poster, the help and tech support groups EVERYWHERE I've tried to get help, are absolutely USLESS for several reasons. Some of the reasons include, they either cannot speak English in a form that I can understand, and/or they are oriented to discussing solutions to issues with people who are totally familiar with computer termonology, and/or they don't have the time to deal with novices.

I can't even begin to recall the number of times I have been "dumped"/ cut off by the "chat" type support people because they were working too many cases at once and due to my slow attempts at trying to perform their suggestions, I didn't respond to their, "are you still there quieries," that they assumed I had "hung up," and thus just "cut me loose."

So, I have been forced to spend days stumbling through fixing a problem all by myself since I couldn't find decent assistance.

With the exception of the verbal communication problem [usually, fast, clipped Indian speech versus my SLOW drawling Texas speech], the best help I've gotten is from outfits that have live telephone assistance [I use Skype so I can use my headset to leave my hands free for fighting the "battle."]

One reason I'm here now is that I just found out about Secunia PSI, downloaded and installed it, and then when it indicated 7 security issues and I began to work them out, starting with the first, my first problem arose with the pop-up dialog box [Microsoft I think???] asking IF I wanted to "Open," "Run," or "Save."

I do not understand the differences and tried using each on the different risks. I suppose all went OK as I didn't get any error messages, but I also suppose I'll never be able to find those dowload files again. So, question:

Where on this Secunia.com website, and how, can I ask/find answers to "simple" computer questions like:

What is the difference between "Run" and "Save" when prompted regarding a download? I understand that Open opens the file right then, but in doing that is the file saved upon closing, or just run and discarded on closing.

And when prompted for providing "where" to place such files, I haven/t the slightest idea!!!!!

Please forgive the "rambling," but my mind is so scrambled since going through downloading of PSI, AND then repairing of 7 found risks, that at this point I don't really know whether I'm coming or going!!!!!

Best regards to all,

Johnny3h
Was this reply relevant?
+0
michaelsalis RE: “OPEN DOOR” - General hints, tips and chat. May 2010.
Member 23rd May, 2010 19:22
Score: 57
User Since: 18th Feb 2009
System Score: 98%
hi johnny3h

There is little pratical difference between RUN and SAVE they will both install the program. The main difference is that when you choose SAVE the installation files will be downloaded and saved to your computer. This will allow you to install the program at a later time or re-install it without having to go to the website again.

I think it is a matter mostly of personal preference, I usually choose the SAVE option and it is included in the Downloads file on your computer.

Occasionally a download will tell you to choose RUN, perhaps it would be best it that situation to follow the advice given, but you are still able to choose SAVE if you prefer.

--
Michael
Toshiba Satelite A660
Intel i7
Windows 7 Ultimate
IE9

Toshiba Equium Laptop
Intel Centrino Duo
Windows Vista Ultimate SP2
IE9
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 23rd May, 2010 19:29
Where is that "mogs" ACCEPT button?

As a novice, it's difficult enough to try to find and understand hints and tips, let alone when they are buried in "tons" of "cutesy" slap and tickle banter.

I suggest creating TWO threads from this one.

The first, called "Chat," would be for everyone who just wants to "play around" with banter and cute poems and such, AND

A second thread, called "General Hints, Tips, and Suggestions for finding help." This second one would be specifically for technical discussion, and not for chatting and general banter.

The first one would be a Godsend for novices.

Best Regards,

johnny3h
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd May, 2010 19:32
Thanks Michael, T

hat helps, but I'm sure I'm going to have to do a bunch of practice with each to really understand them.

Best Regards,

Johnny
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wr RE: “OPEN DOOR” - General hints, tips and chat. May 2010.
Contributor 23rd May, 2010 19:34
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
Hi johnny3h & welcome to the Forum

I normally don't 'pitch' any product here on the Forum except
the program that brought us all here-the PSI from Secunia.

However I do know of a series of books published (if I remember correctly) by
Wiley Publishing. They all start with the title --for Dummies--i.e. Windows, XP, Vista, eBay, & probably hundreds more. You didn't say which OS (Operating System you're using but my advice is to go to
your local library & check to see if there's a book for your OS & read
through it first before buying a copy. I also am long in the tooth & found the
book(s) quite helpful.

Hope this helps.

Regards, wr

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 23rd May, 2010 21:58
If you read the first post at the top of the thread by one taffy....you may notice that this thread was created for more than dual purpose...and as the instigator of such; taffy can press the Accept button: this thread is in it's infancy...first month...
For one purporting to be so slow....you quickly found it...maybe that's a good sign.
You're not too keen on overly techie: it's the first time I've been referred to as cute. You're not one for spoonfulls of sugar ? It's not that you're really trying....you may divide us ? I don't make friends too easily.....my "problem". Is your name synonymous with "help"?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 24th May, 2010 05:59
Last edited on 24th May, 2010 06:13
First things first: Mogs is CUTE???

Sorry had to get that out.

Hi Johnny;

1) Most of the regulars here do slow well, medium & fast confuse us.

2) We try our best to be helpful to anyone in need.

3) Usually in English you will understand.

The best way (in my opinion) to answer a specific question is to first search the forum. You can do this by clicking on "All Threads" which is located on the left of this page (way at the top) under the heading "Community", then under "Forum". Just above 'all' the thread listings you will find the "Search" box. Type in a brief description of your problem. For example, 'Adobe Reader', if you're having problems updating Adobe Reader. Then click on "Search". This should show all the threads related to your question.

If after browsing the answers found there there is still a problem, you can start your own thread. Click on the button called "Create new thread" just bellow the search box. Please use a short but descriptive topic header (i.e. 'Adobe Reader won't update'), then explain the situation in the body of your post. It is helpful to tell us the Operating System you have and wither PSI has located the problem in "Insecure", "End-of-Life" or "Secure Browsing". A non-PSI question is OK too, I've answered questions that weren't even computer related! You will be asked for more details when someone picks up your thread. You will automatically 'subscribe' to the thread, this means that when someone answers, you will get an e-mail telling you so. Just click on the link in your e-mail to go directly to your thread. You will still have to log in.

If all else fails, look for us here. Secunia graciously allowed Taffy to start this thread in the "Open Discussions" section. It was meant by it's creator to be a place for general discussion and exploring ideas. It also allows us to just be guys goofing around. We don't mean to offend, this is a place to say what comes to mind and have a laugh. However, if necessary, we will straighten up and help solve your problem.

Try this to get the best effect from PSI when having problems:
=======
If not already, please run PSI in Advanced Mode.

To do this click on the PSI icon, in the system tray, to open the interface. In the top right corner, is "SIMPLE" blue in color and "ADVANCED" black? If not, click on "ADVANCED".

Click on the "Insecure" tab, Click on the [+] to the left of the program in question.

In the "Toolbox" click on the "Technical details" icon. Listed under "Version Detected:" it shows the old version PSI is reporting. The "Installation Path" is where PSI is finding the old stuff.

To go there, click on the "Open Folder" icon. This will open the folder where the old file(s) is(are).
=======

Hope this gets you started. Remember, there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers.

regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Contributor 24th May, 2010 07:00
@Taffy, was looking for something else & found this for you:

Jimmyanne
RE: IE8 - german government advice not to use it
23rd Feb, 2010 12:42
User Since: 16th Jan 2010
alt 0176 will give you your thingy

My note:

ASCII (decimal) code, 0176. That would be your degree thingy.

Or copy & paste this. ==> °

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 24th May, 2010 09:19
It's warmer than the Med here , apparently Fred; but I'm into more olives with varieties of cheese. Personally, it does my heart good to see that you are thriving.

Who's got to discover or conquer America ?!
Is it godly enough for you Fred ?
No; I don't make friends like premiers nor pop stars....
oil men nor ranchers....I don't wear many badges....I do the NYT crossword less often these days.

I sometimes read Coleridge;
Some works may be popular with thousands.
Who really knew Micky ?!
Gees, I must have been gullible:
I don't remember Pepsi when I was a kid.
It's not so easy to write as to sing ?

I never knew White Dove nor Black Cloud !
I'm not anti-tech nor all embracing.
My memory gets longer as I get older.
I don't keep it in trim with a toothbrush !!
What ostrich is ducking what issue ?!
It's a wicked Old World: background and foreseeable future ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 24th May, 2010 09:29
Welcome, johnny3h, to what I honestly believe to be the best/most helpful forum in the world!!
You said:
1. I am a retired senior citizen with no IT knowledge or background which makes me a VERY slow learner.
2. I am still a computer NOVICE, which aggravates the situation.

Join the club - you won't be out of place here as there are many of us in the same boat. The guys who provide all the answers/solutions are not only good technically but they never "talk down" to us i.e. they are keen to help us and don't act superior, as man teccies do.
AND they always use plain english, that anyone can understand.

I'm now going to catch up on all the other posts that followed yours!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 24th May, 2010 09:40
Thanks Fred for the 'degree' symbol. ALT 0176 worked in Notepad but not in Word 2007 *** so I copied & pasted it.

I'm still catching up so I'll go and read how "Mogs The Cute" is!

*** It's not knowing why this happened that sometimes frustrates me when I'm trying to learn more about PCs!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 24th May, 2010 09:45
good morning Mogs, "El Nino, El Cute One".

The weather "oop north" hasn't been good enough for us to have a BBQ - is that what you do on Sundays? Still, you are surrounded by sheep! ;0).

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 24th May, 2010 09:50
Maybe I've got a psychological problem taffy ? My mother may have thought I was a black one ? I'm more certain than she was ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 24th May, 2010 09:53
Hi again, johnny3h.

Have you resolved your issues? Although I too am a PC novice, I am confident enough to wager that you'll find (or have found) Adobe Reader / Flash issues. And by using Search, you will find well thought-out, simple-to-understand solutions.

I think you have a point about splitting this into two threads. The idea for it came from the IE8 German Government thread that Fred referred to earlier; take a look for yourself - if you have a week or two to spare! I found that it took forever to get to the end of the thread hence the idea for this.

Perhaps it's worth splitting this, if only to speed up getting to the end of this thread too. I'll ask Emil & Morten what they think. (They're the great guys who keep the forum on its toes!)

I'll post again later.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 24th May, 2010 10:00
ha ha ha Mogs! Nice one.

Especially as it was Maurice, not you, who raised his eyebrows at the thought that it's now mid-May and this was our first BBQ!

Yup - the weather "oop North" is definitely colder than "darn Sarf". So, Mogs had his sheep for Sunday Roast - what have you got, Maurice? Is Ostrich still trendy?

(Anthony tried raising three-legged ones for a while. He was excited at the thought of the extra 50% income. The problem though was the extra leg increased their top speed and Anthony couldn't catch them! ;0)

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 24th May, 2010 10:15
What U need is a 22" (57cm) Weber BBQ with a back up Weber Smokey Joe.

Fire them up - on with the chosen meal (not just the meat) - lid on & back indoors until ready.

Works like magic whatever the weather!!!!!

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 24th May, 2010 10:18
I bet it'll be like an oven in the cab today !! Spare me ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 24th May, 2010 11:16
Last edited on 24th May, 2010 11:17
Metric or Imperial ?!
Sometimes I worked on a British-made threading machine manufactured by Joshua Heap ( fairly certain of the origin.) By changing the chuck jaws ( and clamping), one could cut either type thread on bar or pipe. It would not surprise me to learn that they were still in use.
Sometime later, I took to night time studying of various sociological theory....following the collapse of an ill fated business venture. Amongst those theorists I seem to remember was one Weber ( pronounced Vaber perhaps ): he had developed a theory on suicide...that I've since forgotten ! I don't think the reading and economic/emotional circumstances at the time did me any good at all ! A nervous breakdown ensued....that's about 25 years ago....and I'm still not always in great company !!!
I don't do short circuits ?!
I'm not into biological engineering of sheep, and I'm not a literal mechanic ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th May, 2010 13:28
Hi wr,

Thanks for the leads. I already have "PCs FOR DUMMIES," 7th ed. Although it helped as an intro, it isn't very applicable for me at this point. It covers a lot of confusing stuff but it "ain't' as simple as "they" make it out to be!

I'll check my local library for your recommendations, and being in the middle of nowhere, the library probably won't have it but then I'll check the few bookstores in the area, and then online.

Again, thanks for the assistance.

johnny3h

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 24th May, 2010 18:13
Good Afternoon/Evening All;

I find myself with a bit of spare time. Didn't have to work today as I have been called for jury duty (woo-hoo!) and must report to the court house "...no later than 12:30pm!". (Picture a stern schoolmarm shaking her finger at you.)

@Mogs, my friend, I now picture you sitting in your corner, wearing an older gray suit, little red bow tie and a bowler that is a size too small, arranging a bouquet of daises. You're just that 'cute'! If Norman Rockwell were alive, he would paint you.

Your many thoughts & expressions are poignant, profound and prolific.

To test the black sheep theory, go into the pasture & stand next to white ones. If they ignore you, you're not black. If they leave, you are.

@Taffy, I still use Word 2003, "Insert", "Symbol", bottom right drop down box, select ASCII (decimal), then enter character code & "Insert". I would imagine it's the same for 2007, why would they change it?

30% chance tstorms, high of 31°, heat index of 33°. The local market offers pork ribs BBQ'ed in the smoker/grill outside of their store (big sucker). For $10(US) a slab, I'll take my BBQ to go!

@Anthony, yes, I know, the smoky tomato sauce does not make for real BBQ. :)

@Maurice, I'm coming to your BBQ. Sounds like you've got the plan.

@Michael, good advise for Run/Save. Unfortunately thats not what I usually do. I figure if I found it once I can find it again. :) unless it's a big download, then :(

@wr, people still read books?!

@Johnny, glad you stopped in.

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 24th May, 2010 20:55

Hi taffy ,

How did you know that I worked on one of the first of the Genetically Modified Organisms ?? It is still in use !! I remember asking an eminent colleague how we would know if it would be dangerous to us ; when we have killed half the human population , he replied :)) Toxicology tests use LD50's :ie: the lethal dose needed to produce 50% mortality .

The problem with the 3 legged ostrich is not just catching it , rather , it's so cute ; so putting one on the BBQ (mine's a dual gas burner , lava rock , lidded with temperature gauge job - so it will do Sunday roasts) would be like grilling Mogs !! And forget the smokey tomato sauce .

We were going to enter one in the Tour de France this year ; passed the drug tests OK , but the organisers insist on only two pedals per bike ; so we are going for two in the Triple Jump in the 2012 Olympics . Can you think of a nice name for him and her :))

Hi johnny ,

Good advice from wr aka The Great Silver One ; I would add that , for me , the best way to learn at any level , but especially as a novice , is to have a knowledgeable friend sit beside you in front of the screen and show you the ropes : or you could join a local IT "help" group or start one if needs be .

Hi Judge Fred :)))

Take care , y'all
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 24th May, 2010 23:12
Evening Fred.....how did your day go.....is it a big case......is it possible you could be in complete agreement with twelve ?
My words are obviously creating misconceptions or you should have taken up imaginative portraiture. Ink of course is not my medium on here. A single clawed spider is the only thing that can get into some corners ? Never mind an Aussie's back yard ?!
Sometimes I prefer more natural places....I'm not always averse to floral arrangements....my little piece of heaven I don't always see enough of. I don't think judges are always familiar with the Proverbs of Solomon !
What's a free hand ? Sometimes sacrifices have to be made voluntarily. There's a lot wiser than lamb .
If I look back at the past year....I'm becoming even less technical....I've lost a few points, but I'm not feeling shorn. I may set up a disposable e mail address. Don't wanna be the source of any division.....stuff poets' corner ! It's more about hushing up than moving on ?
Keep on writing....cotton; silk.....rougher stuff ? Maybe it's just a matter of timing ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 25th May, 2010 02:26
Last edited on 25th May, 2010 02:35
Hi again;

Found an article on Wiki about Anthony & Mogs, the early years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurel_and_Hardy#Oliv... Anthony may have put on some weight since then. :)

Actually got in the court room this time, a couple of weeks ago I was called up but the case was settled out of court (cowardice or common sense prevailed). This time the attorneys did indeed interview the fifty three jurors of the pool that I was part of. They mustn't have liked the looks of me. I was dismissed (yeah!) and sent off with the thanks of both the court, the state of Missouri and the handsome some of $20(US) for my time. Last of the big spenders I suppose. Everyone I spoke with was of the same opinion, keep the $20, bring in donuts and some decent coffee!

@Ant, perhaps a Hillbilly appetizer would suit your BBQ. The armadillo comes in his own pot ready to boil. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armadillo Down in Arkansas armadillos are referred to as possum on the half shell. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opossum Both of these lovely creatures make fine kabobs and are slow moving enough that even I can run one down. However, when you catch up to either be prepared for a fight. If not willing to fight for your supper, they can also be found in large numbers, dead, on the roadways. We call this road kill. Although easier than catching a live one, you must find it fresh and cook promptly. Umm, umm!

Did you mean "Judge Fred" or "Judge Dredd"? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judge_Dredd

@Mogs, I had a fair day. Neither up nor down. I was inconvenienced by the jury duty but possibly not as much as others. On the plus side, the building was air conditioned and today was hot & muggy.

The case was a civil matter involving a traffic accident. What those of us, who were not chosen, were told was, that it did not involve a bodily injury claim and was only for property damage. They weren't even contesting who was at fault, the insurance companies just refused to work out 'how much'.

What makes a 'Solomon' wise? Doing what he knows is right even when others think he's wrong? (for Anthony: Definition of solo-mon; A Jamaican bachelor.)

I Must have you try my Junk-mail address again sometime, I would love to put pen to paper for you (or is it quill to parchment?). But alas, Summer is not the time for me. Have typed much today because of weird schedule.

@Taffy, I had time to think today and now find myself to be quite dizzy. Anyhoo, possibly three reoccurring threads would be in order.

Thread #1 - "Welcome to Secunia Forum." Where first timers who have just found us could receive a handshake & basic instruction on using the forum, along with what to expect.

Thread #2 - "How do I do that?" For discussion about: Making windows jump through hoops; Why do I need a newer version of Word? (<- for me); Which browser is best for media downloads and why?; Etc.

Thread #3 - "Old Farts corner." For old & new Farts alike, to goof off on.

Just throwin' out ideas, don't everyone panic.

Also, I can't remember for sure, were you interested in finding this some time ago? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF4qii8S3gw Someone was reminiscing about it. Good for a solid belly laugh to be sure.

Off to Supper;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 25th May, 2010 10:15
well, well, What a lot for me to catch up on!

Maurice - you do seem to have the BBQ well set-up, as does Anthony. ("Big enough to get Mogs in it!")

I think His Honour/Honor Fred has come up with the names for the two ostriches, Anthony: Fred & Dredd!

Thanks for your suggestion Fred - I'm just waiting for Emil/Morten to email me back. They may wish to introduce a "welcome "spot - many forums have one.

Mogs - stay away from Maurice's & Anthony's BBQs!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 25th May, 2010 10:18
A man walks up to the bar with an ostrich behind him, and as he sits, the bartender asks for their order. The man says, "I'll have a beer" and turns to the ostrich. "What's yours?" "I'll have a beer too" says the ostrich.

The bartender pours the beer and says "That will be $3.40 please," and the man reaches into his pocket and pays with the exact change for payment.

The next day, the man and the ostrich come again, and the man says "I'll have a beer". The ostrich says "I'll have the same." Once again the man reaches into his pocket and pays with exact change.

This became a routine until late one evening, the two enter again. "The usual?" asks the bartender. "Well, it's close to last orders, so I'll have a large Scotch" says the man. "Same for me" says the ostrich.

"That will be $7.20" says the bartender. Once again the man pulls the exact change out of his pocket and places it on the bar.

The bartender can't hold back his curiosity any longer. "Excuse me, sir. How do you manage to always come up with the exact change out of your pocket every time?"

"Well," says the man, "several years ago I was cleaning the attic and I found this old lamp. When I rubbed it, a Genie appeared and offered me two wishes. My first wish was that if I ever needed to pay for anything, I just put my hand in my pocket and the right amount of money will be there."

"That's brilliant!" says the bartender. "Most people would wish for a million dollars or something, but you'll always be as rich as you want for as long as you live!"

"That's right! Whether it's a gallon of milk, or a Rolls Royce, the exact money is always there," says the man.

"That's fantastic!" says the bartender. "You are a genius! Oh, one other thing sir, what's with the ostrich?"

The man replies, "Oh, my second wish was for a chick with long legs."

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 25th May, 2010 22:54
Fred - I've suggested that Secunia have a Welcome thread. I know that there is a Q&A but it's not the first thing that new posters look for when they're posting a problem.

And hopefully it would remind those of us who should know better, not to try to help those who post a reply in Vulnerabilities. Many of us have been zapped with negative scores in "HP Software Update HPeDiag ActiveX Control ".
We should each have done what Maurice did in a later thread - "HP Software Update 4.x" - where he explained what the Vulnerabilities forum is all about, and that the correct way to raise problems is via a new thread!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 25th May, 2010 23:55
I suspect Tomahawk Cruise Missiles are now programmed to hit this thread:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/422...

They have been known to malfunction!!!!

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Contributor 26th May, 2010 00:04
Hi Taff;

Yup, it left me sore!

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 26th May, 2010 00:22
Hi Maurice;

Maybe that's why I won't respond now unless I have a specific answer to a specific question. More than enough people available to give general answers, helpful hints, suggestions and opinions nowadays.

Much more pleasurable to chat here & read threads. :)

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 26th May, 2010 00:26
Ant;

Forgot to mention about the hillbilly appetizers, do not pick up one of these by mistake! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skunk

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 26th May, 2010 07:12
Hi Maurice. It also looks like a Cruise missile has already hit the Vulnerabilities section with many of the 'regulars' being zapped 5 points on quite a few threads.

Hi Fred - I'll explore your link after I've had breakfast!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 26th May, 2010 08:11
The thread Maurice refers to was not opened in
Vulnerabilities-it was in Programs. Maybe we're safe(touches wood).

--
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Contributor 26th May, 2010 08:29
I hope it's real wood that you're touching, wr!
I think the last poster on that thread hasn't read your post of the 13th May! I'm still waiting to hear from PCW - what are they pre-installing on their current range of laptops? I've seem some specs and it's still this Cyberlink! That can't be good practice can it?
Still, we can always ask Mogs to stand guard and stop any missiles! OK with you Mogs?

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 26th May, 2010 09:10
To late. The missile has landed but a slight malfunction resulted in only partial damage. @wr's new found status is intact - just!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The key is not the section used but the fact they are WARNING STATEMENTS from Secunia for general INFORMATION.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: “OPEN DOOR” - General hints, tips and chat. May 2010.
Member 26th May, 2010 09:21
Hi,

We've noticed the problem with the vulnerabilities sub-forum, and agree that the situation is far from ideal. A future version of the forum will involve usage clarification, as to avoid the confusion that leads to these problems. In the mean time, the idea with a thread for newcomers seem a good option.

Thank you for caring about the quality and environment of our forum.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TiMow RE: “OPEN DOOR” - General hints, tips and chat. May 2010.
Dedicated Contributor 26th May, 2010 10:34
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Good morning everyone.

I was intending to start a new thread to ask for clarification regarding replying to Secunia Official under Vulnerabilities, but as I see it is being (re-) discussed here, with input from Emil, I will make a briefer (than I intended) post here.

I have read many "opinions" relating to this, (unfortunately cannot recall specific threads for reference), but have never seen anything official about set protocol.

In my opinion if anything is posted on this forum (please see wording at top of forum page), under any heading and there is a "Reply" button to hit (inviting responses), then it seems almost counter-productive for someone of unknown origin/status (judging by the times the replies are minimised, it appears that it may not be Secunia, themselves), to come along later and carte blanche award -5 pts. to (nearly) every subsequent reply, no matter what it's content/relevancy - for some unknown reason, a few seem to slip through the net.

Even under Advisories, the reader is invited to make a comment, that then appears under a new thread on the forum, and it should be the same under the Vulnerability heading, even if it is posted just to advise.

I contributed to the following thread:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/429...

and on holiday Monday (not a Secunia work day, I think), all replies were minimised, with a minimum of -5 pts. However in the main, in my view, the replies were related to the topic, with a sensible conclusion, which, if it hadn't been minimised, Secunia may have picked it up and updated their rules regarding the latest Foxit Reader version, being recognised - as of this morning still not picked up.

Hopefully Emil will return and read this - I welcome his further input and direction to any written rules (if any). Otherwise, as I wasn't brief in the end, I will copy and paste and start a new thread.

Regards to all.

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 26th May, 2010 11:25
There has been a fair amount of discussion on this. Emil is on record on more than one occasion including this thread stating that Secunia are looking at producing a few rules on "does & don't".

Newcomers are the losers in that they are not aware of the "no go areas" - regular helpers should know better from the many warning signs & Forum interaction on the subject.

I have no idea what your comments are about minus 5 points on a alleged Secunia holiday means. Is this another of your cleverly worded barbed comments?

I am the only one who can deduct 5 points outside a Secunia Official. If U are implying it could be me U are wrong including the deduction for the 2 points on this thread that I predicted:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/422...

Lets us have the facts - that is relevant. Sowing the seeds of doubt on the integrity of Forum members (whoever U are attempting to point the finger at) without any evidence is disgraceful.

For the record Secunia have also stated that any member who considers the points system is being abused should report it to them for investigation.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 26th May, 2010 12:37
Last edited on 26th May, 2010 12:41
Hello to you all ,

I emailed Emil concerning the "Vulnerability" thread(s) - 3 at least - problem on Monday evening as I was concerned at the impact this could have on a new poster .

I was expecting a loss of points for my contribution to one of the threads , but was surprised to see the "weapons system" operate on Monday (holiday) evening. Let me emphasise now , I seldom vote and my score does not interest me , as such .

-5 points is a "normal" Secunia hit , possibly , so as to distinguish itself from mere mortals - had forgotten that Maurice Joyce now has 5 , but that is not important .

Why did Secunia hit on a holiday ?? Somebody bored in the Advisories dept. maybe??

I think that it it outside of the normal Forum controllers and that is the basis of the problem .

As I and Maurice Joyce have said on another thread , helping the misguided poster avoid guided missiles is what matters . I shall continue to help whenever I see the need , irrespective of other people's (subjective value) judgements of my input .

As I was "looking" at the weekend , I know where points 5 went AWOL on the "vulnerability" thread ; anyone notice where another 30 to 40 of mine went walkabout to/off at the same time ?? Beginning to feel like a "Eurovision" contestant - "For Wells , null points" :))))))))

Gotta go , lots to do

Take care
Anthony

PS : Maurice Joyce has a good "Beginers' Guide" - it must be good , it mentions mee !!

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 26th May, 2010 13:04
Last edited on 26th May, 2010 13:27
Hi Maurice, and thanks for responding.

I think that before you and I get off on completely the wrong footing on this - which by no means is/was the intention (to you personally, or anyone else) - I should respond to my earlier and your subsequently points.

I am well aware that this is a prickly subject that has been previous discussed to some length, including Emil going on record and stating whatever he has stated previously and above. But as of yet the situation remains - after quite some time.

Unfortunately, I cannot remember exactly what was written (it didn't strike a chord at the time), and have absolutely no idea under which thread(s). Which is the whole point - unless there is an official point of reference, nobody - newbys or regular members - should not be expected to remember what they may have read in a previous thread, regarding protocol (if they even read it at all, in the first place). Until such rules/guidelines are officially introduced, I believe that there should be right to reply, and normal relevancy scoring employed. Otherwise the "Reply" button should be removed.

I think in my above thread link example, one can see that some of the respondents, should be aware of the situation (myself included), but obviously felt that they (I) had a useful valid point to make, despite knowing what was coming - and rightly so.

I have seen,in the past, complete irrelevant rubbish written after Secunia Official reports in Vulnerabilities, as is often the case on any thread (where I too put my hands up), but if the option to reply is there, then it should be right to use it, with each reply being "marked" on its own merits.

To conclude, I am obviously aware that you have voting proxy of +/-5 marks, but I don't know for certain that you are the only one outside of Secunia Official to have this. It appears that each reply attracts a standard award of -5 (as opposed to accumulation). But someone is giving these votes, without what appears to be official recorded rules. I am more than curious to know who.

I am guessing here - but due to the timings of the appearance of some of the Vulnerability reports, it could be possible that Secunia employ the services of individual private research contractors, who post their findings - it could be that they return to their thread, to bomb it. Or in the past I have seen replies from Morten out of hours, so I am not completely ruling out official input.

My above thread example (Foxit Reader) was "marked" sometime during the day on Monday - which I think was a holiday for the majority in Europe.

As final conclusion, my point of re-raising this matter was to seek official clarification (and not points - lost or otherwise; my perceived status is already almost embarrassingly fraudulent, as it is).

Regards

TiMow

PS Just seen your reply (Anthony) - I think there are a few points anomalies creeping in these days - but that's for another time.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 26th May, 2010 16:12
It's been very interesting reading these comments about negative scoring. And speaking as a non-teccie it's also good that there has been this "clear-the-air" session. The topic is emotive.

Having previously calculated that I'd have to live until I'm 176 years old to have a score near where Maurice is now (and that age has since increased to 210 years after this latest missile!), I now have a new aim in life:

As long as my score doesn't fall below my IQ, I'll be happy. ;0)

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 26th May, 2010 20:48
Hi All;

First, I do not wish to start a war that I refuse to fight in. So, do as you will with this post. This sub-forum is titled "Open Discussions", I would ask to be allowed to join the discussion. Also, Taffy has titled this thread "Open Door", he & Secunia are the ones to close that door.

@Maurice, I have said before but will repeat here, I believe you are very knowledgeable and I highly regard your opinion. Your 'score' shows that others believe so too. Additionally, I am happy that you chose to stay with the forum instead of leaving in disgust.

However, I am displeased with the fact that I am unwelcome, by you, on the forum at large. The last time we crossed paths, I meant to give a lengthy defense of myself and my slightly 'off' use of the term "business machines". After careful consideration, I deemed any response on my part to be a waste of time. Also I did not wish to further antagonize the person whose thread we were on.

I would like, if possible, for you to understand that I do not intentionally give out misinformation. If I do make a mistake, I expect and want you and others to correct me. If I make a suggestion, I do not expect to be informed that I am butting in and that my idea is inferior. You are welcome to make a better, more informed suggestion. I am sorry if this upsets you. My intention is not to raise your blood pressure, just to clear the air.

I truly do like to help people and I think this forum is a great place to do it. Still I have to repeat this from my earlier post: "Maybe that's why I won't respond now unless I have a specific answer to a specific question. More than enough people available to give general answers, helpful hints, suggestions and opinions nowadays.".

@Emil, your helpfulness is much appreciated. Your desire to make this forum better shows.

About the vulnerabilities thread (and others), possibly a short annotation under the "This thread was submitted in the following forum:" line, explaining the purpose and use of that part of the forum is all that's necessary.

@All, my inclination is to ask Secunia if they could change my title to "Observer" which more correctly describes my place here on the forum.

Two points: 1) I was afraid this score thing would get out of hand if not regulated somehow. So..., I told you so. 2) I am grateful that everyone is using restraint by not posting obscenities and slurs.

@Timow, while cruise missiles are deadly, be wary of land mines, they can take a leg off.

Sincerely;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Contributor 26th May, 2010 22:18
Hi all

Here's how 1 Forum that I frequent handles things-
it's an automotive Forum but nevertheless here's
their 'rules'. Maybe Secunia can glean some
helpful info from here.

Regarding the posting of new vulnerabilities here,
that, in my opinion, should be handled as a 'sticky'
& not posted where a Reply is even offered. Not to
defend myself but I thought by the posting I replied to
was encouraging posting because it was in Programs, not
Vulnerabilities. As Maurice pointed out my new-found
status was barely salvaged-not that that is all important
to me but to give the newbys confidence in the person
responding & their suggestion(s). I agree with Anthony
Wells on that subject 100%.

I ask not that you agree, but read & suggest.

"membership is diverse, covering people from various countries, backgrounds, ages and experiences. Considering this diversity and to make (name deleted) enjoyable for the majority of our membership, we have adopted the following simple posting guidelines.

1. Vulgar language, images and other offensive material including, but not limited to, race, nudity or pornography is not tolerated here. The (name deleted) staff shall be the sole judges of what does and what does not violate the boards standards.

2. While debating and discussion is fine, respect your fellow enthusiasts. Being of a diverse background, members are likely to express different opinions, and while opinions may differ from yours, they are just that, opinions; and everyone is entitled to express theirs freely. We will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, or personal attacks. Do not flame, bother, bug, disrespect, hound or taunt ANYONE on the forums or through private messaging or chat room. If we feel a thread is getting out of hand we will close or delete it. You can/will lose your posting privileges if you continue this type of behavior.

3. "Trolls or Trolling", "Flames" and/or "Board Wars" are not tolerated here or elsewhere. Posts that taunt or are otherwise inflammatory against other sites will be removed. Also, anyone found to be making inflammatory posts and remarks on other forums (starting Flame/Board Wars) can and will loose their posting privileges here. This rule also applies to those that, for whatever reason, feel a need to post negative remarks about this site on other forums. If you do, don't expect to be welcome here.

4. Double posting is not allowed and can result in the deletion of one or both posts. Double posting is defined as posting the same information in two or more separate forums. We understand that some topics might fit into more than one forum. Please try to pick the best one. In addition, please do not post in the same thread back to back (another version of double posting), if you have something more to add, edit your post, don't post twice in a row in a thread.

5. Selling or solicitation of ANYTHING in the general forum, by Private Message or in Chat is considered Spam and is not allowed. Anyone found posting excessive links to their websites, or suspected of "sneaky" advertising will be warned and will possibly lose their posting privileges. Please post your private party ads in the (name deleted) Classifieds forum sections. If you are a business and have a product or service that would be of interest to our members, visit our Advertising/Sponsorship page to learn how you can join our team and help support our community. We offer a variety of low-cost packages that can be of great benefit to your company.

6. Please refrain from posting meaningless threads, one word (or short), "smiley" only, non-sense posts and such. Multiple or repeated posting in order to increase your post count ("post whoring") is frowned upon. If you do engage in this type of activity, we can prevent your post count from increasing from that point forward or possibly ban your account.

7. No promotions of other related sites. There is no problem with occasionally using the name of other sites or even posting a link to a pertinent thread from another site, but repeatedly referring to other related sites is considered "SPAM" and is not allowed. Please have the decency of NOT putting links to them in your signature, profile or have a post, PM or Chat telling our members to come over to another related site. Such activity is ground for removal from signature, and repeated offenses are grounds for being banned.

8. You are not allowed to post links that lead to an affiliate program or that in any way earn you something. We consider you earning something if you have an affiliate ID, website, or if you earn money from banner impressions or click-thru's. If you feel that you have a service or product that the members of (name deleted) can benefit from notify the Administrator.

9. Each member is allowed one login account. Registering with multiple accounts is not allowed and can quite possibly result in both accounts being removed without notice.

10. Illegal transactions/sites, selling of personal information (i.e. credit cards, e-mail addresses), pornography, etc are not allowed in the forums and will result in the deletion of the post and the revocation of your posting privileges.

11. Don't post "Hey BigJoe1456"as a thread, if you need to speak to someone specifically, PM or email them.

12. While these rules cover most common situations, we cannot anticipate everything. Therefore, we reserve the right to take any actions we deem appropriate to ensure our site is not disrupted or abused in any way.

13. Signature images must be limited to 500 WIDE by 250 TALL at the MAX.

14. Moderators and Administrators have final word in anything and everything. If you have a problem or a complaint direct it to them, not to the general forums. They will then take the appropriate actions. This applies to issues with the forum in general, as well as issues with other members.

15. We ask that members keep in mind membership is a privilege, NOT a right, and as a private forum, the administration and moderators have total say as to which members are, and are not allowed. The same rule applies for single posts and threads, and anything deemed to be inappropriate by any member of the staff will be removed. Members who continue to ignore this rule will be removed with no possibility of return."

The first thing when you open this Forum is:

Name of Forum.com Rules...Please read!!!

Regards, wr

--
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Contributor 27th May, 2010 07:23
Hi Fred, wr. Two very useful posts, imho. The "hot" comments went over my head - I wasn't involved, nor do I wish to be.

Emil has already agreed that from 1st June this Open Door (to be re-named so that members everywhere will know what it's about) will be replaced by two threads, one technically-inclined and the other a "chat-room" - name still under debate!

I love the idea of a new members 'welcome' thread and though I am willing to set it up each month I think Secunia would want to host that. (I'm waiting to see what they say.)

And yes, wr, a "sticky" explaining why members must not post in "Vulnerabilities" would be ideal. Similarly CSI? Where I once wandered into by mistake and got (correctly) rollicked!

However, all these changes costs money so for now I'm just glad that Emil and you more experienced guys are united in your aims.

PS Where are you Mogs? Stuck in some traffic jam again?!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 27th May, 2010 07:53
Hi Taff;

Sorry, didn't mean to sound 'hot', but after a reread it did come off a bit so. I do not mean to dissuade Maurice or anyone else from posting here. It just seems to me as a bunch of hooey. The whole purpose of this forum is to help people, bottom line.

Wr's post is an example of good ol'e common sense. Who ever wrote those forum rules said it plain and clear. Lucky we have Emil to help us sort stuff out.

And, yes, where is Mogs. His absence is notable.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 27th May, 2010 08:22
Hi again. Fred. No apology needed, my friend.

Have you finished your session in court? (Not on trial, I would hasten to add!)

I'll email Mogs.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 27th May, 2010 17:47
Hi Taff;

I was released after Monday. They picked the lucky :) dozen out of fifty three contestants. I was not chosen. The experience was very trying (pun intended).

I was expecting more comments about the goings on. Maybe all that needed to be was said? Perhaps we should just be happy that things are moving forward, albeit in a herky-jerky manner.

Mogs had made the suggestion to correspond off the forum. I had sent my junk-mail address which he said didn't work. Might have been a syntax error (typo in non-techiese). I believe he actually wanted to send a letter. Since this thread is about to expire, I don't mind posting it here. If for some reason he doesn't make it back here, please pass it to him. You are also welcome to use it if you like. junkfredjunk@gmail.com

Not much need for e-mails if Secunia fulfills our dream of a 'chat corner'. Still it is nice if a direct message is required or for personal info.

Weather here nice, sunny & 28°C. Where have all the t-storms gone? (It has rained/stormed here almost everyday for a month!)

see ya;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 27th May, 2010 23:06
Hiya Fred.

I'm delighted to confirm that your dream (of a chatroom, or whatever!) will come true on June 1st! Emil has confirmed that I can set it up-I might even use the title for it that you suggested!

I have to confess to feeling very down in the dumps at the time recently when a post of mine was zapped, along with many others. The poster had commented on a vulnerability in version 5 of a program and all I did was to mention that version 6 was vulnerable too. (Just in case he installed that.)

Also, it seems ages ago when I wandered into CSI and upset a paying customer - for which I apologised! I suggested at that time that the door into CSI should be better protected!

I do recognise though that there has to be a structure to these matters. Emil & Secunia clearly have all these comments in mind for when they next change things.

And my score has increased significantly in the last few days.I'll have to check tomorrow to see what I've done right!

Glad to see that the fine-income of your state will now fall as a result of you no longer being a "jail'em, hang 'em" juror! I've never been asked to serve on a jury.

I'll pass your email address to Mogs.

Right - early to bed. It's only 22:05 but I've more gardening tomorrow!
See you.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 27th May, 2010 23:37
Type: full commercial application Platform: Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Vista 64-bit Manufacturer:Lavasoft Size: 104MB
Rate this downloadBuy now FREE for for 24-hours! Number of downloads:
First launched back in 1999, Ad-aware was one of the earlier specialist anti-spyware tools, and the program quickly became a worldwide favourite. Eleven years on, and there's considerably more competition in the PC security market, but Ad-Aware has grown considerably too: if you've not used the program for a while (or perhaps ever), then it's definitely worth taking for a spin.

Ad-Aware Plus is no longer just about blocking spyware, for instance. It now includes a powerful anti-virus engine, and a complete rootkit detection and removal system, for maximum protection against the widest possible range of threats.

Read more: http://www.computeractive.co.uk/vnunet/downloads/2...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Contributor 28th May, 2010 08:07
Hi Mogs. Glad you're back!

I had AdawarePlus on my desktop and lost it when my hard drive had to be replaced. Lavasoft have been brilliant, responding positively and very quickly to my email for help in reinstalling it.

I have Adaware, the free version, on this laptop. Unfortunately the licence for AdawarePlus is for only one PC.

The only problem that I've had with it is a conflict with Norton IS 2010, that Maurice resolved for me. So if you do get it, and you have NIS, watch for that.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 29th May, 2010 08:45
can anyone suggest why I've been given two 'irrelevant' points for my post of
28th May, 2010 20:56 in this thread:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/435...

I believed that I asked reasonable & relevant questions but clearly someone disagrees and I don't want to repeat my "mistake".

I've posted this here rather than in that thread as it might put off the poster of that thread.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 29th May, 2010 19:16
@Taffy
Whoops! I tried to reinstate your points & could not. That means my PC zapped your valid post. A nailpulling investigation has proved this "crime" was committed by one of my students. Thank goodness yours was the only thread.

Perhaps @Anthony.@Timow or @Mogs will be kind enough to reinstate it for U by Adding 2 points or more.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooory.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 29th May, 2010 20:55
What angels do or don't do with their fingers is of some concern to me.
I've still got "dual identity" of a first or second kind as regards Secunia.....two scores.....and having reverted to the original....have recently been zapped approx thirty points !
I'm feeling disheartened.......don't know how cupid feels !!
Some angels I may be more welcoming of....others I might let stew....I don't play cat 'n mouse (?)....and some friends may be in the police ?!
Whether I touch soft or hard spots....I don't always reach toes ? What will develop....how close will we get? This is'nt the third kind of sophist....remote ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 29th May, 2010 20:58
on 29th May, 2010 19:16, Maurice Joyce wrote:

Perhaps @Anthony.@Timow or @Mogs will be kind enough to reinstate it for U by Adding 2 points or more.

Job done.

Regards

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 29th May, 2010 22:43
Level playing field.....the other side of the tracks?
We'd better decide what plain we're in ?
I'm more mature than a McFly ?
All I can do is bold ?
I don't need the Hollywood treatment ?!

I don't talk much to the man in the mirror?
I don't need my reading glasses on to shave !
I can feel my way around my jaw.
But this I do with one finger?
Thriller ?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The sun comes up in the morning with striking or boring regularity ?
A purer language may be easier to translate ?
I'm not creating too much study....and I'm not the red-eyed Alien ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 29th May, 2010 23:10
Type: freeware Platform: Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista Manufacturer:Piriform Ltd Size: 3.2MB
Rate this downloadPrice:Free Number of downloads:
Just as regular exercise is good for your health, a regular workout for your hard disk is recommended. Windows has its own tools for doing this, but CCleaner makes a slightly better job of it.

The application is free to use and shows the door to all kinds of temporary files, from temporary internet files to old automatic back-ups from application such as Office XP and file sharing software. It also shakes out old entries from your computer's registry, such as unistallers and invalid shortcuts. The makers guarantee that it contains no apyware or adware.

CCleaner is one of the more popular system cleansing and optimisation tools available. This is the major v2 release incorporating a number of new enhancements. For instance, the new version is completely re-written and is much faster and analysing and cleansing your system. It ships with a brand new user-interface and is available in a compact version, so you could take it with you on a portable USB stick and use it to cleanse a PC that you've used in a web cafe or other location. Of course, there are also a number of other tweaks and improvements.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 30th May, 2010 07:03
Cybercop update ?!

I'm not a single blue lamp hanging up in Dock Green's portal ?!
I'm not chicken drummer pounding the beat ?!
Has something passed me by at a ferocious pace ?!
They used to have a bell ringing in those days !
Now it's more wailing and screams ?

There's nothing like the ghost of a straight copper ?!
Jack had arthritis !
Someone else wrote the slow black and white script !
Morning all !
I'm not delivering the papers and milk ?!!!!!!!!!!

May the force be with you !

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 30th May, 2010 07:41
Morning Fred !
Tried the e mail address last night.....went thro' okay using Google !
Only a few words.....just to try it out.
The sun looks as tho' it's gonna break thro' ; it's showing showers on my weather gadget......11 degrees C in Cardiff apparently, rising to sweet sixteen later.
When I was a kid I used to read the News of the World whilst on my rounds.
Other times there was gold and silver and crown tops on the milk !!
Then my wonderful aunt would give me a tanner or more for trimming her laurel bush or grass !! At least I did have a childhood....now I'm not overly sentimental ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 30th May, 2010 23:45
Hi Mogs;

5x5 here. Sorry to hear about the rain over there with a holiday and all. Here, hot & muggy, light rain this afternoon made it worse. Holiday for us also, crazy people everywhere! Think I shall stay in AC & possibly mow the yard later today.

@All, what's the deal about the new update. Couldn't pick on Adobe or find a browser that has blow itself up? Like I said elsewhere, running 1.5.0.0 on mine with no ill affect. Would be nice if Secunia would use something other than a pop-up balloon to inform. The main reason I didn't update was it went away before I could read it in total. Of course I'm half blind & half nuts, which is a poor combination I admit.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 31st May, 2010 03:18
Evening Fred.....The Door has'nt opened or closed so much in the last 24.....woe is me: it seems I don't provoke much thought. Went to bed early....because I don't have to get up; I have ! Middle of the night (approximation), and I'm wide awake.....put another way perhaps......the bed bugs are'nt biting, tho' I was legally parked !!!
Are you ambidextrous too Fred ?! I am....with all kinds of tools, instruments and utensils. My mother was left; father right....somehow they met....under the sun and the moon....I've somehow managed more often, to find my own way !!I hav'nt got a garden gate with a squeak these days; a communal area, but not a lawnmower to oil !!
I'm presuming "AC" means at home....well esconced ? Not Atlantic City of course....some Latin term I'm in the dark about ? Beyond the fence is the other man's grass...I could easily trespass if I wrote any angelic description ?!! Luckily enough we hav'nt got a chemical factory nearby....and I don't text when on the Highway to Heaven !!!
Well, that's about it for now.....there's a History Cold Case I want to see on the BBC iPlayer....very interesting....a kind of investigative archeology/biology...how ordinary people died....not always a crime in it's day !

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 31st May, 2010 05:38
Hi Mogs;

Hope you're reading this in the morning & not still up.

I'm not ambidextrous, I'm Protestant. (Oh, come on everyone. That was funny and you know it!)

AC, for air conditioned. Don't tell me that it's called something else over there.
After the house cooled down, I fell asleep. Too late to mow by the time I got up.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 31st May, 2010 12:08
Went back to bed after watching my prog Fred !
Oranges are'nt the only fruit for me either.....much too messy and sticky in some situations.....I sometimes wonder if a Paisley may have read the same book....my kind of moderation is much quieter ?! I was Gospel Hall from a very early age....not much ornamentation.....my hair is very short.....never followed Luther nor Oliver !!!
Black and white has got to work in words.....really liked Archbishop TuTu and Martin and King Hussein....but I don't have such a big dream !!!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 31st May, 2010 21:56
Analyse crashes in Windows
Troubleshoot crashes in Windows
Written by Computeractive Staff, Computeractive
27 May 2010
Introduction
Ever wondered why there is a counter that goes up to 100 on the dreaded blue screen of death?

This is the last action of a Windows session in its death throes and it is copying the contents of the computer’s memory to the hard disk in a special file called Memory.dmp. The idea is that the contents of the memory may shed some light on why everything went wrong. Most of this information is only of use to experienced programmers but it can sometimes reveal a rogue driver that has been causing the problems.

Replacing the driver or disabling the device (if possible) can improve the reliability of a computer that has become temperamental. The extra information will be helpful to anyone giving help on a forum. The Debugging Tools for Windows can provide a lot of information but the most important is the most likely culprit for the problem.

Read more: http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/wor...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 31st May, 2010 22:11
EXCLUSIVE: Auslogics BoostSpeed 5 SE
Completely FREE to download for 24-hours, from midday GMT Monday 31st of May to midday GMT Tuesday 1st of June 2010
Written by Lee Collins, V3.co.uk
31 May 2010
Type: full commercial application Platform: Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Vista 64-bit Manufacturer:AusLogics Size: 5MB
Rate this downloadPrice:ŁFREE Number of downloads:
Auslogics BoostSpeed 5 Special Edition will enhance your PCs performance with a host of useful optimisation tools.

The Disk Cleaner, for instance, will search your hard drive for junk files that can safely be deleted. The Registry Cleaner wipes away redundant Registry entries, then Auslogics Disk Defrag reorganises your files to improve Windows and application speeds.

The bundled Startup Manager displays everything that's launched when Windows starts, as well as Internet Explorer addons and Explorer extensions. Potentially dangerous programs, like spyware, are highlighted, so

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 1st Jun, 2010 07:05
Last edited on 1st Jun, 2010 07:06
Hi Mogs. You may wish to re-post some of these recent suggestions in the new technical thread - see next.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 1st Jun, 2010 07:07
As from today, this Door is shut!

This thread was started with the aim of creating a space where (1) you could post general hints & tips etc that you’ve found in specific threads elsewhere in Secunia that have helped you, so that you could then help others and (2) where you could just meet with other Secunia members.

In the month it has been running, there have been 146 posts & 1642 views. So Secunia have kindly agreed it can be replaced by two new threads, each concentrating on one of the two aims above.

Provisionally named “Off-Topic: general tech talk” and “Relax & Chat”, they will be reviewed in a month’s time, as will their names.

Thank you for supporting “Open Door” - please visit these new threads & support by posting!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability