Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Google Chrome not in Secunia System

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Google
And, this specific program:
Google Chrome 4.x

This thread has been marked as resolved.
litzi Google Chrome not in Secunia System
Member 5th May, 2010 17:05
Ranking: 6
User Since: 29th Dec, 2009
System Score: N/A
I use three browsers at various times, Internet Explorer 8, Firefox 3.6.3, and Google Chrome 1064. Up until about 2-3 weeks ago, Secunia reported on all three browsers in the section on Secure Browsing. But recently, Google Chrome does NOT show up in Secunia at all: it is not listed in Secure Browing, and it does NOT show up under Patched Programs. It is as if Google Chrome does not exist on my system.

And yet I log into it every day, and have no problems with it.

Why does Secunia no longer report on this product (at least on my machine)?

Post "RE: Google Chrome not in Secunia System" has been selected as an answer.
This user no longer exists RE: Google Chrome not in Secunia System
Member 7th May, 2010 11:06
Hi,

The PSI should detect chrome, and show the browser and related plugins in Secure Browsing.
Could you please submit a Software for Chrome.dll (Not chrome.exe), and mark it "Att: Emil"?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
litzi RE: Google Chrome not in Secunia System
Member 7th May, 2010 16:13
Score: 6
User Since: 29th Dec 2009
Hi,
I am not sure what you want me to do. Is it that you want a copy of my chrome.dll file? If so, how do I get that to you?

I am new to this forum community, and am currently feeling my way through it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th May, 2010 16:25
Hi,

What I need from you is for you to use the "Software Suggestion" feature. You can do this by navigation to the Insecure or Patched tab, go the the bottom of the page and click "Software Missing? Click here to suggest!". A dialog then appears, and you need to find the "chrome.dll" file, probably located in C:\Program Files\Google Chrome\ or somewhere similar.

Then add "Att: Emil" to the comment field, and I'll adjust the rules so your installation of chrome should be picked up.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Google Chrome not in Secunia System
Expert Contributor 7th May, 2010 20:14
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
This is not really relative to Chrome, Emil; but to your info about there being a "comment field" after having filled in the suggestion.
It's just that I've suggested a program three times, at least, over the past month...and having read this thread, thought I might be a bit " devious" and add "Att'n Emil " as you'd suggested !! But I can't seem to find the comment field !! At this stage I don't wish to provide the program's details on the open forum.
I appreciate that you have many suggestions to deal with.....I''ll understand if you say I just need be more patient. Thanks.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TiMow RE: Google Chrome not in Secunia System
Dedicated Contributor 8th May, 2010 12:17
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Last edited on 8th May, 2010 12:27
Hi litzi

As Emil of Secunia doesn't normally work weekends, you may want to consider the following:

Relatively quick and simple to do - with no harm done.

Within the last 3 weeks Secunia have carried out some major maintenance on PSI, which has caused a few irregular problems, for different users.

What has been a cure for a several problems (including my own non-showing/reporting of Java), is to un- and re- install PSI.

If, as an established user, you still have v.1.5.0.0. installed, then by removing this from add/remove (or PSI Uninstall at the following location - C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI\Uninstall.exe) and re-installing v.1.5.0.1. (not a required update, but just language additions), could well solve your problem. Even if you have the latest version, this option can still be tried, in order to reset the scanner.

If this doesn't work, then it's probably a case of waiting until Mon. for Emil, and sending him the required info. By the way on my laptop, using XP, the location of Chrome is as follows:

C:\Documents and Settings\<myname>\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\4.1.249.1064\chrome .dll

This is a different location to that, that Emil suggested (if you weren't already aware), but I think that's the file he requires.

Finally, a real shot in the dark, and bearing in mind how Chrome silently updates - is it possible that you have unknowingly had a beta version of Chrome as an update? PSI doesn't report on beta programs, but it would list Google Gears under patched. (Check "About Google Chrome" from tools (wrench) dropdown). I think this is unlikely, though, as you are reporting the latest stable version - 1064. At one time stable and beta version numbers were similar, but I think beta Chrome is now 5.x.

TiMow

EDIT: Forgot to state the obvious, if you try un- and re- install, remember reboot and full rescan of PSI, to get the latest accurate reporting of your programs.

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
kersepit RE: Google Chrome not in Secunia System
Member 8th May, 2010 15:10
Score: 0
User Since: 8th May 2010
Thanks to all for their comments on this.

We are 8 May 2010 (3pm CET). I just followed the recommendation to upgrade the apparently dangerous Chrome into the safe release 1064.

Despite having run a full scan since the implementation of that upgrade, there continues appear the fourth degree warning of a potential danger with Chrome.

Either I did something wrong (failing to figure out what it could be), or the Secunia database needs to be completed with the corresponding information, as it appears to actually exist in the program, at least in the recommended actions.

Regards,
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 8th May, 2010 16:15
Last edited on 8th May, 2010 16:18
@kersepit

You need to use PSI on the Advanced mode interface - click "Advanced" on top right of PSI window, then "OK". Along the top is a series of tabs.

If you are referring to a cat.4 threat showing against Chrome (r.h.s.) under patched tab; this is the threat you would have had if you hadn't updated and patched Chrome (hover curser over blue "[?]" at top of column, for explanation).

If Chrome is surrounded by a green box under secure browsing, then all is as it should be. If Chrome is listed under insecure tab, then continue reading.

A common problem when updating Chrome, is that the new version creates a new file and still leaves the old insecure file, which PSI reports. This old file needs to be manually removed.

Firstly, to check if Chrome is correctly updated/patched, go to the tab "Patched" and click - here is a list of all your patched programs.

Scroll down to Google Chrome 4.x, and for the version number, you should see 4.1.249.1064 - if you have already updated to the latest up to date version.

Now click the tab "Insecure" (red lettering, when there's a problem). The old Chrome file should be listed here. On its left is "[+]" - click on this to reveal toolbox icons, then find "Open Folder" and click this.

This takes you to the location of the old Chrome file. You should see both the up to date version no. (....1064) and the old version no. (....1059). Make sure the old version no. is highlighted, right click, then delete.

This now goes to recycle bin, where you probably need to further delete it (as PSI also reports its contents). Reboot your PC and full re-scan PSI - this should now resolve this problem.

Hope this helps

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: Google Chrome not in Secunia System
Contributor 9th May, 2010 04:53
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
@All;

For informational purposes only; I had the same thing happen about a month or two ago. My Acer has the three browsers (as above), installed and operational, but PSI quit detecting Chrome & Firefox.

The HP has IE8 & Chrome installed and PSI detected Chrome on it. As all browsers were up to date, I was mostly unconcerned. About one week after this condition was first noticed it went away.

I haven't a clue as to why PSI detected Chrome (same version) on one machine and not the other. It is possible with all the changes going on that something might muck up the works. Thanks to Emil & the rest of Secunia Support for staying on top of it.

regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th May, 2010 08:50
Hi,

I've received your suggestion for Chrome, and after comparing the data to our rules, I can say that your version matches the latest secure version, and the PSI should flag you as such. Does a full rescan show Chrome as secure? If not, have you tried reinstalling the PSI?

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
litzi RE: Google Chrome not in Secunia System
Member 10th May, 2010 16:48
Score: 6
User Since: 29th Dec 2009
I was getting ready to reinstall PSI, making note of my rule exceptions (not knowing whether they would be retained in the reinstallation process), and decided to run another manual scan. Lo and behold, Chrome reappeared in my list of programs! So I didn't have to reinstall the product.

For a while, PSI was scanning my computer every day instead of weekly, and none of those daily scans, including the last one, had detected Chrome.

I guess I don't understand how all of a sudden Chrome was redetected. I wonder if the automatic scans are the same scans as the manual one I did.

I will hold this thread open for a couple of days in case anyone has any comments, and then close it out. Thanks to all of you who responded to this thread, and thanks especially to Emil for taking up the challenge.

And for the record, there is no comment field in the "Software Suggestion" screen, but I managed to insert a comment in an apparently unformatted field.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 10th May, 2010 17:52
Hi litzi

Glad all OK.

There have been a few recent threads relating to PSI scanning many times. As I understand, Secunia have made some adjustments which seem have sorted this problem - this could have also been why everything is now OK for you.

As far as I'm aware the rules for scanning are the same for both a manual or auto (weekly) scan.

Also, if ever it's a future consideration for you, when I un- (from add/remove) and re- installed PSI, my PSI profile info and ignore rule were retained - I think it's like browser profile info - that it's kept in separate folder, outside of the main program. But you were still probably wise to note down the details - as what works for one, may not work for another.

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer