Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: IE8 and bugs in PSI

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
walkerjian IE8 and bugs in PSI
Member 6th May, 2010 02:14
Ranking: 0
User Since: 31st Jan, 2009
System Score: 96%
IE8 is always showing as vulnerable, why?
The reason why I ask is because PSI Secunia will not open up a browser to tell me about the reported vulnerability. Why is this so?

Is this a bug in PSI, or have I mis-configured it?

This user no longer exists RE: IE8 and bugs in PSI
Member 7th May, 2010 11:18
Hi,

Internet explorer have some low-threat bugs that have been around for a while, and are unlikely to be fixed any time soon. There are also some unpatched exploits that are more serious, and these are usually patched each "Patch Tuesday".

The PSI will always show which advisory it bases it's intelligence on. The "Insecure" tab lists exploits you can fix - and clicking the "+" button and selecting "online references" allows you to access the Secunia Advisory.

From the Secure Browsing tab, clicking the "SAXXXXX" link in the "SAID" (Secunia Advisory ID) field allows you to see the online references for unpatched (and patched, if you haven't install the latest upgrades) vulnerabilities.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
walkerjian RE: IE8 and bugs in PSI
Member 8th May, 2010 04:34
Score: 0
User Since: 31st Jan 2009
System Score: 96%
PSI is happy after I uninstalled IE8, but I still cannot click on a link in the PSI secunia interface and have it link to a web site for further information. It tells me that it is unable to locate an appropriate web browser etc. Is this due to the sandbox I use? Also PSI secunia seems to leave some tracks in the temporary internet files caches pertaining to IE even after I have removed IE8. I know this from using ccleaner.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: IE8 and bugs in PSI
Contributor 8th May, 2010 07:54
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Hi walkerjian;

You need IE6, 7 or 8 to do the Microsoft Update. If using Firefox for your browser, there is an IE8 plug-in you can use instead. Be aware this plug-in still has all the vulnerabilities of the IE8 browser. Emil is correct that if IE8 is not in the "Insecure" tab, it is as safe as you can make it. If you use a sandbox you should be fine.

Check to make sure your browser is set to be the "default".

In "Control Panel", click on "Add or Remove Programs", click on "Set Program Access and Defaults", click on "custom", under "Choose a default Web browser:" click on your browser.

Dose this help?

regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability