Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Excluding drives

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Scott_H Excluding drives
Member 9th May, 2010 01:34
Ranking: 0
User Since: 9th May, 2010
System Score: N/A
Just installed PSI, and noticed something odd...

The initial scan ran, and said that I had an old version of Adobe Reader installed, though I was sure that I'd uninstalled it and replaced it with an alternative product. Went to uninstall it, found that it wasn't on the installed apps list... after several minutes of searching my drive in vain, I found that PSI was worrying about a copy which was on C:, an OS re-install partition which contains no installed apps. I do not want that partition modified in any way.

I also have another drive which contains many thousands of media files, close to a TB, without a single app on that drive. Looking at that drive would be a major waste of time.

Maybe, before running a scan, PSI could ask me about which drives I want examined?

Maurice Joyce RE: Excluding drives
Handling Contributor 9th May, 2010 01:43
Score: 11711
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
PSI scans all hard drives by default. U can ignore drives from publishing the results but to exclude them completely from a scan U need to purchase the CSI version.

CREATING A GLOBAL IGNORE RULE
=============================

1.Click on the SETTINGS tab>scroll to the bottom & click on CREATE IGNORE RULE

2.In the RULE NAME BOX insert something like MY BACKUP DRIVE

3.In the RULE BOX type D:\ (or the drive letter U wish to ignore)

4.Click SAVE IGNORE RULE>CLOSE

All drives will continue to be scanned by default but the result from the drives ignored will not be published.

If this post has solved your problem could you please select the ACCEPT option. This will lock the thread and stop you & I from receiving unnecessary update emails.

Revision 2

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: Excluding drives
Contributor 9th May, 2010 05:51
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 9th May, 2010 05:57
Hi Scott H;

Maurice is correct, create an ignore rule to skip a report of the OS re-install partition.

If the media drive is removable, you might consider doing just that before starting a manual scan. Here's some tips I've put together. I hope they will be of some use.

=======

1) Scan when the computer is idle. Do a manual scan anytime you're not going to do anything for awhile and it is left on. Lunch or running to the store for example. If you're uploading/downloading files on the internet or have another program using the hard drive(s) both the PSI scan and the other job will be slowed.

2) If you have a removable (USB) drive(s) and you are certain there are no programs installed (ie. only pictures, text, database, backup, etc.), remove them prior to a scan. Be sure to follow procedure, do not just yank the plug. Do a manual scan and then reconnect the drive(s).

3) If you have a 'maintenance' day, where you leave the computer on overnight to run scheduled updates, scans, defrag, etc. , start the PSI scan before you leave for the night.

PSI scans every week and will show the day and start time for the next scheduled scan. (Open the PSI Interface and click the "Scan" tab.) If you do a manual scan before a scheduled one the 'clock' is reset. Doing it this way takes a bit of effort on your part but prevents PSI from starting a scan at an inopportune time.

=======

regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 9th May, 2010 10:26
Fred,
The advice U give perhaps requires clarification/caveat to be universally used by Forum members.

1. What U describe will only affect a budget priced PC with low RAM & slow broadband/narrow band speed.

2. Those using heavyweight PC's will not experience any slow down of any kind unless the ISP throttles back the bandwidth during peak usage hours.

3. In your item 2) I assume U mean external hard drives connected by a USB or Firewire lead. PSI does not scan USB devices (pen drives) nor online backup drives to a secure server. On that basis there is no requirement to unplug a pen drive with programmes on it or stop the internet traffic that is constantly saving your work to the online backup vault.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
thedillpickl RE: Excluding drives
Contributor 10th May, 2010 01:58
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Hi Maurice;

Yes I only would give such advice considering the setup being used. You are correct that it would have no real benefit with 'most' modern business systems. Unfortunately some of us still plod along with what we have. It was given in the spirit of a passing thought, as you were on the case.

Did not know about the removable drive issue. I will amend my notes to take that into account.

Thanks much;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 10th May, 2010 15:01
Fred,
Without wishing to prolong the thread (it has already strayed a long way from relevance) your reply is full of contradictions.

This thread asked how to exclude a drive from a scan using PSI. The simple answer is U cannot but an ignore rule can be created to stop the results being published. Full stop.

What business set ups are U referring to? PSI is for personal use & there are many detailed PC specifications on this Forum that indicate users have invested money in high end home user PC's with professional programmes to match it.

They would not benefit from your "tag on" post nor will Windows 7 users - many of the tasks U describe are built in & can be automated.

In this case @Scott_H has not disclosed his specifications anywhere on the Forum which somewhat contradicts this statement:

"Yes I only would give such advice considering the setup being used."

I therefore return to my original comment. If a general "tag along" post is deemed necessary (relevant) by the author, which bypasses the solution to the original problem, there needs to be some kind of caveat because:

a.This Forum caters for 3 quite different OS's with various Service Packs.
b.There are 32 & 64 Bit versions to consider.
c.There are many different set ups which is mainly dependant on how much a home user is prepared pay for a PC specification & an ISP to achieve acceptable up & download speeds.

The key word is relevance to the original post. In this instance I would submit it is not & is,in parts, factually misleading.

Many other Forum users who do not own a PC set up like U or what U describe will not benefit from your post in it's current format without a caveat.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+6

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability