Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Intervideo\WinDVD

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
cybersurfer Intervideo\WinDVD
Member 9th May, 2010 08:47
Ranking: -9
User Since: 7th Sep, 2009
System Score: N/A
C:\ProgramFiles\Intervideo\WinDVD.exe

A few days ago I updated it & of course it still shows as un patched. How do I remove the old one?

Maurice Joyce RE: Intervideo\WinDVD
Handling Contributor 9th May, 2010 09:01
Score: 11312
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Intervideo\WinDVD is pre installed on some versions of OEM windows - HP are well known for installing this.

U are showing the main programme on the C drive which U claimed to have patched.

Are U sure the unpatched version is not on the D partition (reinstallation) drive?

FINDING A VULNERABILITY FILE PATH
=================================

To locate the exact file that the Secunia PSI has detected, use or switch to the ADVANCED interface, then :

1 Click on the + sign of the programme to "expand' it.
2 Click on Technical Details in the Toolbox to see the installation path of the detected file. (Copy (CTRL+C) & paste (CTRL+V) the Installation Path of the file back to the Forum if U are unsure what to do next.

Revision 2

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
cybersurfer RE: Intervideo\WinDVD
Member 9th May, 2010 09:06
Score: -9
User Since: 7th Sep 2009
on 9th May, 2010 09:01, Maurice Joyce wrote:
Intervideo\WinDVD is pre installed on some versions of OEM windows - HP are well known for installing this.

U are showing the main programme on the C drive which U claimed to have patched.

Are U sure the unpatched version is not on the D partition (reinstallation) drive?

FINDING A VULNERABILITY FILE PATH
=================================

To locate the exact file that the Secunia PSI has detected, use or switch to the ADVANCED interface, then :

1 Click on the + sign of the programme to "expand' it.
2 Click on Technical Details in the Toolbox to see the installation path of the detected file. (Copy (CTRL+C) & paste (CTRL+V) the Installation Path of the file back to the Forum if U are unsure what to do next.

Revision 2

Technical details

Technical details about this installation of WinDVD Gold 5, you can use this information to determine why the Secunia PSI detected the program and the security state of it.

Version Detected:

Installation Path:
C:\Program Files\InterVideo\WinDVD\WinDVD.exe

Last Inspection of Program:
4th May. 2010, 5:23 CET

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 9th May, 2010 09:35
Thank U.

Looks to me like that version is no longer supported & should be showing as End Of Life not in the Insecure Section.

Please confirm which tab it is showing under.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th May, 2010 09:41
on 9th May, 2010 09:35, Maurice Joyce wrote:
Thank U.

Looks to me like that version is no longer supported & should be showing as End Of Life not in the Insecure Section.

Please confirm which tab it is showing under.

End of Life tab.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 9th May, 2010 09:50
Thank U.

Being End Of Life there are no further updates of any kind available. U have numerous options:

1. Purchased an upgrade to the latest version - details here:
http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/Product_Support.jsp

2. Uninstall the programme.

3. Create an ignore rule - using this option is risky in that U will never know if the programme is vulnerable.

If this post has solved your problem could you please select the ACCEPT option. This will lock the thread and stop you & I from receiving unnecessary update emails.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0

cybersurfer

RE: Intervideo\WinDVD
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
Member 9th May, 2010 21:16
Purchasing an upgrade is NOT an option I can afford. If I uninstall it, Will either Real Player or WMP11 play the videos ok? I guess neither will :(

I've evidently screwed up. I updated to what I thought was a free version & it worked fine for a bit. Later,I went to play a DVD & it told me my trial version was over so I googled IntervideoDVD & downloaded it but didn't like what I read what it included so I found one at cnet & downloaded it. I then followed the C:\Program Files file path & deleted both folders related to it & deleted from recycling bin & rebooted (hoping for a clean install). Now its still telling me I have a newer version on here
How bad did I screw it up? Can I reconfigure WMP11 or RealPlayer to play DVD's?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Intervideo\WinDVD
Expert Contributor 10th May, 2010 10:08
Score: 2384
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

@cybersurfer ,

This old thread may help you :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/249...

The K-Lite codec pack seems to offer a good solution .

Take care
Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th May, 2010 21:00
on 10th May, 2010 10:08, Anthony Wells wrote:
@cybersurfer ,

This old thread may help you :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/249...

The K-Lite codec pack seems to offer a good solution .

Take care
Anthony

Ok, I read from that link even thou they got side tracked. My pc is a Win XP Pro Media Center Edition & I would like to know if you can tel me which one in this link http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm I should download or if it would be easier to go with the MPC or one of the media players at filehippo.com
Yes, I'm confused.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 10th May, 2010 23:28

@cybersurfer ,

I am running late here ; so will try to answer your query tomorrow .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th May, 2010 00:41
Ok, thanks,will wait.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 11th May, 2010 15:30
Last edited on 11th May, 2010 15:46
Hello cybersurfer ,

The idea of the K-Lite codec pack , as expressed (rather at length) in the the linked thread , is to replace the Intervideo codec (which will be lost , if/when you delete the WinDVD Gold 5 software from your computer) with the codec(s) in the K-lite pack for audio/video play in your WMP11 and RealPlayer ,which you mention .

The "Standard" pack contains MPEG-2 (cyberlink) which should suffice for your needs . It also will offer the latest version of "MPC-Homecinema" , which is recognised by PSI as secure ; PSI is likely to show "MPC" as "insecure" or "EOL".

Use the default settings and scroll through and decide whether you wish to download MPC-Hc or not .

Default settings should be fine for a basic set up ; there are many options available , if you don't know what they mean/do then leave the default . When you next update you should find that the "new/update" default settings include any changes/tweaks you have already made ; or you can choose to go back to the original "default" settings and start again . This also means that if you make a mistake and have a problem with your "tweaks" you can rerun the installer and go back to basics and have the original default - I , personally , have not needed to do this .

I use the "Mega" pack as this gives me RealAlternative to replace RealPlayer ; it also contains huge amounts of technical stuff , but the "default" setting has never given "me on my machine" any problems . It also gives you a choice between the latest version/revision of MPC and MPC-Hc or both .

Today , the latest K-Lite full version is 5.9.0. which you download first and then update to 5.9.4.(not the Beta version) ; the update is likely to be offered automatically after the install , if appropriate . K-Lite updates regularly , so you will need to visit the website regularly , if you wish to see/download updates .

As I do not know your needs or abilities for audio/video , I cannot advise further.

I can say that I am quite happy with WMP11 for most basic things , but I also use DivX , MPC-Hc and RA for specific reasons ; the/my main consideration is not to waste any time with too much tweaking you cannot hear or visualise. I also have QuickTime available , but can't remember last time I needed it .

The other players around (normally with their own codecs) you will find well reviewed on Gizmo's website (link from the other thread) :-

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-windows-...

Ask if anything is not clear .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th May, 2010 00:28
I just discovered I can't have Real Alternative & Real Player at the same time,bummer. I tried downloading MPC but it don't show up in that pop up box.
I'm not technology minded in this area. I know it might be asking alot, but is there a simpler solution? For the codecs, is this a good link? http://www.free-codecs.com/download/k_lite_codec_p...

If not, since I have WMP11 & Real Player, is there a compatible DVD layer? TIA.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th May, 2010 02:13
on 12th May, 2010 00:28, cybersurfer wrote:
I just discovered I can't have Real Alternative & Real Player at the same time,bummer. I tried downloading MPC but it don't show up in that pop up box.
I'm not technology minded in this area. I know it might be asking alot, but is there a simpler solution? For the codecs, is this a good link? http://www.free-codecs.com/download/k_lite_codec_p...

If not, since I have WMP11 & Real Player, is there a compatible DVD layer? TIA.

Since that prior post, I got an update via my filehippo.com updater for Corel winDVD2010 which included Quicktime. I installed both & my DVD is now playing & hopefully will continue to do so, thanks all. :):):)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 12th May, 2010 16:01

@cybersurfer ,

That should do the business ; pleased that you have the problem sorted .

Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Factsheets
Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability