Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: saving histories, etc.

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
dontknowsquat saving histories, etc.
Member 16th May, 2010 08:59
Ranking: 0
User Since: 7th Feb, 2010
System Score: 99%
Last edited on 16th May, 2010 09:02

Dell desktop
Windows XP Home SP3

Recently another program in a different user account has hijacked Secunia PSI, one other program, and a number of files. Secunia remains to be the only problem area.

This machine has been plagued with problems which I have been repairing one at a time. The details are too lengthy to address in this forum. It has taken me nearly five months to bring the machine back to proper operation, mainly because I wanted to learn how to repair it without performing a clean install of the operating system.

There are a few pros who are familiar with the issues on this machine and what has been done to repair it. Armed with that knowledge the prevailing recommendation is to remove, reboot and reinstall both Secunia PSI and the offending program. Their belief is that corrupted files or registries in the offending program have corrupted some files or registries related to Secunia.

My main reason for including this narrative is to prevent an ongoing dialog about what has been checked and/ or repaired.

I need assistance to find and save histories, settings, forum profile and log in details, etc. My desire is to add this information to the fresh install of Secunia PSI, and allow me to flawlessly continue to enjoy using Secunia.

Previous advice I have received in this forum has been spot on. I have every reason to believe that your guidance regarding the upcoming reinstall will be just as helpful.

Thanks in advance.

TiMow RE: saving histories, etc.
Dedicated Contributor 16th May, 2010 10:00
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
System Score: N/A
Hi dontknowsquat

When I had cause to un- and re- install PSI to solve a Java problem, my profile information remained unchanged and not lost, after the new installation (also using XP SP3)

I cant say for certain, but it appears that PSI profile info. is stored separately, outside of the main program, much in the same way as browser history and profile info. - which is also not lost when updating/un- and re- installing.

As the action you are proposing has been advised and carried out by many users recently, to solve a variety of problems; I haven't once read of anyone having problems re. loss of user profile data.

I realise that this doesn't specifically address your question re. file location of PSI profile data (I cant say), but hope that it may help, until someone else (probably Secunia tomorrow), may be able to give a definitive answer.

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Anthony Wells RE: saving histories, etc.
Expert Contributor 16th May, 2010 12:02
Score: 2463
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A

Hello dontknowsquat ,

As TiMow has experienced , I have never had a problem with my history , etc being lost .

This info from FAQ on registration seems to indicate that some/al of it is kept by Secunia until you "unsubsribe" :-

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

I do not know what is kept on your PC (if anything) , but a "clean" uninstall and reinstall has never given me a problem (other than one of the original Release Candidate versions - some years ago and not relevant) .

If you are unsure , wait and see what Secunia say on Monday when they are back working on PSI .

Hope this helps.
Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
dontknowsquat RE: saving histories, etc.
Member 17th May, 2010 04:29
Score: 0
User Since: 7th Feb 2010
System Score: 99%
TiMow and Anthony Wells,

Thanks for your guidance.

I have successfully preformed the remove/ install operations on the offending program and Secunia PSI. Everything on Secunia appears to be just as if nothing has happened --- the flawless transition I was looking for.

FYI --- During the removal and install of the offending program, the suspicions of the pros were confirmed. The offending program (a suite) detected and offered to repair corrupted files and registries during removal. I declined and performed a clean install of the suite. --- just in case you have as curious a nature as I have --

Thanks for your spot on evaluation of my task.

dontknowsquat
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+