Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Security problem not fixable for Google Chrome

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
shortyann2222 Security problem not fixable for Google Chrome
Member 18th May, 2010 02:09
Ranking: 0
User Since: 21st Jan, 2010
System Score: N/A
When I run the fix it for a security threat on Google Chrome it still shows I have a problem. I am running Windows XP. I have downloaded and installed the fix several times with it not taking the problem away.

mogs RE: Security problem not fixable for Google Chrome
Expert Contributor 18th May, 2010 07:28
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
If you could.....please be more exact/ specific: what version Chrome are you referring to ? Are you using psi with the Advanced interface ? If not; switch to it, to gain more information. It is possible that you have done as much as you can at the moment but Chrome is still showing insecure. If you can post the file path of the insecurity....found by clicking on the + sign alongside the entry, and confirmed by clicking on Tech Details....someone will be able to help/advise further.
Generally, Chrome and other progs sometimes leave older files/versions behind: Secunia will continue to detect them: even if still in the Recycle Bin.
It is helpful to provide as much info. as you can, when posting to the forum....you can fill in details in your Signature box which may save you having to repeat them in the future. Regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TiMow RE: Security problem not fixable for Google Chrome
Dedicated Contributor 18th May, 2010 08:25
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Hi shortyann

A common problem when updating Chrome, is that the new version creates a new file and still leaves the old insecure file, which PSI reports. This old file needs to be manually removed.

You need to use PSI on the Advanced mode interface - click "Advanced" on top right of PSI window, then "OK". Along the top is a series of tabs.

Firstly, to check if Chrome is correctly updated/patched, go to the tab "Patched" and click - here is a list of all your patched programs.

Scroll down to Google Chrome 4.x, and for the version number, you should see 4.1.249.1064 - if you have already updated to the latest up to date version.

Now click the tab "Insecure" (red lettering, when there's a problem). The old Chrome file should be listed here. On its left is "[+]" - click on this to reveal toolbox icons, then find "Open Folder" and click this.

This takes you to the location of the old Chrome file. You should see both the up to date version no. (....1064) and the old version no. (....1059). Make sure the old version no. is highlighted, right click, then delete.

This now goes to recycle bin, where you probably need to further delete it (as PSI also reports its contents). Reboot your PC and full re-scan PSI - this should now resolve this problem.

If your require further assistance, then post back here.

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
LindaPro RE: Security problem not fixable for Google Chrome
Member 18th May, 2010 20:53
Score: 2
User Since: 18th May 2010
I had this same problem and couldn't highlight and delete from the Secunia Insecure page. I went directly to the file location and deleted the file and the problem is now resolved.

LindaPro

--
Dell Dimension 3000/X86-based PC/2GB
XP Professional/Firefox/AVG 10.0.1191/Secunia 2.0
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Dedicated Contributor 19th May, 2010 07:14
@ LindaPro

You are correct in saying that you cant delete a program from Insecure tab, but can navigate from the Open Folder icon (as I've described above), to the file location, in order to delete it from there.

Alternatively - if you know where to look - you can also access any file directly using Windows Explorer - which I'm guessing is what you did.

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
toetweet2 RE: Security problem not fixable for Google Chrome
Member 19th May, 2010 21:58
Score: 0
User Since: 26th Apr 2010
My version of Chrome is 4.1.249.1059... not the one noted. I am running Windows7 in 64 bit.

I have reinstalled this program now about 20 times and continue to show it as insecure.

Will the manual removal of that file, work in my version 4.1.249.1059.... since it is not the version noted?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 20th May, 2010 07:40
@ toetweet2

It is advisable to have the latest version (4.1.249.1064) installed, before manually deleting the old insecure version (4.1.249.1059). You probably have both, if you've updated.

To check - see bold print in quote box below ; or in Chrome - click tools (spanner/wrench, top right), then "About Google Chrome", to show which version you have installed - if you don't have the latest version,then Chrome will search and download/install it, with this action. Alternatively, if you don't have v. ......1064, then you can also click "Download Solution" icon by the insecure listing on PSI.

Then follow the procedure below,that I've reproduced (from above), in the quote box.

on 18th May, 2010 08:25, TiMow wrote:

A common problem when updating Chrome, is that the new version creates a new file and still leaves the old insecure file, which PSI reports. This old file needs to be manually removed.

You need to use PSI on the Advanced mode interface - click "Advanced" on top right of PSI window, then "OK". Along the top is a series of tabs.

Firstly, to check if Chrome is correctly updated/patched, go to the tab "Patched" and click - here is a list of all your patched programs.

Scroll down to Google Chrome 4.x, and for the version number, you should see 4.1.249.1064 - if you have already updated to the latest up to date version.

Now click the tab "Insecure" (red lettering, when there's a problem). The old Chrome file should be listed here. On its left is "[+]" - click on this to reveal toolbox icons, then find "Open Folder" and click this.

This takes you to the location of the old Chrome file. You should see both the up to date version no. (....1064) and the old version no. (....1059). Make sure the old version no. is highlighted, right click, then delete.

This now goes to recycle bin, where you probably need to further delete it (as PSI also reports its contents). Reboot your PC and full re-scan PSI - this should now resolve this problem.

If your require further assistance, then post back here.

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability