Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Threat Won't Go Away

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
ReDickulus Threat Won't Go Away
Member 22nd May, 2010 19:55
Ranking: 1
User Since: 10th Feb, 2010
System Score: N/A
I received a threat warning concerning FireFox version 3.5.x.

I downloaded and installed version 3.6.3 today on my Windows 7 system,
but the threat warning remains, even tho' I've rescanned several times.

Please advise how to remove the threat warning.

--
ReDickulus

mogs RE: Threat Won't Go Away
Expert Contributor 22nd May, 2010 20:32
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
If you insert Mozilla into the vendor box found in the Programs section; and then Firefox in the other field, you will find lots of other threads concerning.
Are you using Secunia psi with the Advanced interface ? If not, switch to it: click on the + sign alongside the insecure entry and it will expand to reveal the file path. Another click on Tech Details will confirm it. If unsure how to proceed, post that info to the forum.
Include as much info as possible...OS/ 32/64bit so on and so forth. If you enter that info in your profile signature box; it will save you having to repeat it in the future.
Tho' you update....psi may still detect old file/versions left behind...even if located in the Recycle Bin. Regards

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
RLM RE: Threat Won't Go Away
Member 25th May, 2010 23:49
Score: 0
User Since: 19th Aug 2008
System Score: 99%
Still having the problem of the threat for Firefox 3.5.x not being deleted after downloading and installing Firefox 3.6.3. In fact, the threat message lists 5 (Five) copies of Firefox 3.5.x, when there is only one version installed.

I have done all the things Mogs suggested to no avail. (Advanced scan; Recycle Bin cleared, etc.).

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Secunia PSI and rescanned, to no avail.

Still need a solution to this problem.

--
Windows 7 32-bit Home Premium
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Threat Won't Go Away
Handling Contributor 25th May, 2010 23:52
Score: 11711
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
FINDING A VULNERABILITY FILE PATH
=================================

To locate the exact file that the Secunia PSI has detected, use or switch to the ADVANCED interface, then :

1 Click on the + sign of the programme to "expand' it.
2 Click on Technical Details in the Toolbox to see the installation path of the detected file. (Copy (CTRL+C) & paste (CTRL+V) the Installation Path of the file back to the Forum if U are unsure what to do next.

Revision 2

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Fulvio RE: Threat Won't Go Away
Member 26th May, 2010 05:59
User Since: 18th Dec 2008
I am a Firefox user, and if 3.5.x was replaced by 3.6.x via update (Help|Check for Updates) there should not be anything related to 3.5.x on the computer. If 3.5.x was not uninstalled or replaced it should show up in the Add/Remove, and it should be uninstalled.
Typically, the program would be installed in the same folder for 3.5.x and 3.6.x, and this preclude the existence to two versions..
Do you have , at least, two firefox.exe files, in two different folders? If so, PSI is correct in warning you. And, to be easy on yourself, it is best to uninstall everything, and reinstall the latest version. Typically, there will be only one profile, so no data is lost.
Unless you are as crazy as I am, carrying up to four difference versions of Firefox, each with its own profile.
PSI was correct with me detecting one insecure version of Seamonkey, which I thought was removed. Even if it took five month for PSI to find something funny!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
RLM RE: Threat Won't Go Away
Member 26th May, 2010 15:41
User Since: 19th Aug 2008
System Score: 99%
This issue has now been resolved, not by any complex troubleshooting, but by finally realizing an obvious cause for the multiple threats...

The programs that Secunia found were in backup files on an external hard disk!

Now, why didn't I think to look there first? I believe it was because the path that Secunia listed for the location of the program as the "C:\" drive, not the "F:\" drive where they actually exist. The fact that the backup file is a full image is the reason for this, I believe.

In any event, things are back to normal now.

Thanks to all who offered assistance.

--
Windows 7 32-bit Home Premium
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability