Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: secunia waste of time

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as locked.
alanferrier secunia waste of time
Member 26th May, 2010 09:22
Ranking: -1
User Since: 2nd Sep, 2009
System Score: N/A
the scan keeps showing 15 vulnerabilities of various types.i go through clearing them but they return on the next scan

Maurice Joyce RE: secunia waste of time
Handling Contributor 26th May, 2010 09:28
Score: 11822
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 26th May, 2010 09:31
I do not agree. If U send me the paths to the problems I will tell U how clear them & prove U are wrong with your statement.

FINDING A VULNERABILITY FILE PATH
=================================

To locate the exact file that the Secunia PSI has detected, use or switch to the ADVANCED interface, then :

1 Click on the + sign of the programme to "expand' it.
2 Click on Technical Details in the Toolbox to see the installation path of the detected file. (Copy (CTRL+C) & paste (CTRL+V) the Installation Path of the file back to the Forum if U are unsure what to do next.

Revision 2

I only require the paths to those under the END OF LIFE or INSECURE tab.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Leendert Kip Secunia waste of time
Member 26th May, 2010 14:42
Score: 70
User Since: 22nd Jan 2009
System Score: 100%
I do not agree with your statement that using PSI is wasting time. I am using
PSI for over a year and I am not a very experienced user. But, if there are problems, and they occur regularly, you sure find help in this forum by more experienced users and Secunia staff. Up to now there never was a problem that couldn't be fixed.

--
PC: JJ Computer Services
Intel Core I3 2100 3.1Ghz
DDR3 Kingston ValueRam 4GB 1333
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits SP1
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Laptop: MSI GT780DX
Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+2
alanferrier RE: secunia waste of time
Member 27th May, 2010 09:49
Score: -1
User Since: 2nd Sep 2009
my statement is not wrong.if special instructions are needed to get it to work then it is a waste of time. i will follow your instructions and report back.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
taffy078 RE: secunia waste of time
Contributor 27th May, 2010 10:27
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
Hi alan ferrier. I do hope that you resolve your problems.

But to be fair to Secunia, their page headed "forums" does point out that "Updating And Patching (is) not always an easy task. Patching programs isn't always as easy as it should be".

This is usually the fault of the vendors. (Adobe are one of the worst at this, in my experience.)

Secunia have members who not only are experts in what they know, but they can and do tailor their reply to each individual query so that the help they give is in plain english & is so easy-to-follow that novices such as me can understand them.

Your frustration is understandable but please, please, persevere and your problems will be resolved by Secunia and its members between them.

You might even have to get back again, but please be assured it will be well worth it!! Do let us know how you get on.

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

Desktop: Compaq Presario (OEM) 32 bit / AMD Athlon / 2 GB RAM
XP Home - SP3/ IE8/ Norton IS - Secunia PSI v2.0.0.3003

Laptop: Win 7 / IE11 / PSI v2.0.0.3003
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Leendert Kip secunia waste of time
Member 27th May, 2010 11:21
Score: 70
User Since: 22nd Jan 2009
[quote=p20373]if special instructions are needed to get it to work then it is a waste of time.
You forget that you always need instructions to get software at work. I never
found any software that runs after installation without going through the settings to get it work properly.

--
PC: JJ Computer Services
Intel Core I3 2100 3.1Ghz
DDR3 Kingston ValueRam 4GB 1333
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Laptop: MSI GT780DX
Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TiMow RE: secunia waste of time
Dedicated Contributor 27th May, 2010 15:02
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Last edited on 27th May, 2010 15:04
Hi Alan

Now you've seen some members opinions, if you can post specific details as to your problem insecurities, there are those of us who are willing and perhaps able to offer assistance.

You profile info. on the left of your post indicates that you have been a PSI user for a minimum of nearly 10 mths. - it seems strange that you suddenly have 15 problems, or have these accumulated over time?; or have you just changed from simple mode to advanced? (I used PSI at the start on simple and I changed to advanced when I noticed that I had 17 problems requiring attention).

If you would like to clear your insecurities, in order to help those who can help you, you should provide details of your windows OS and full version numbers of the problems;

e.g. Google Chrome 4.1.249.1064, NOT Google Chrome 4.X

and as previously stated, under which tab heading - insecure or end of life.

In general terms, despite updating (download solution on PSI), all, or elements of, any old versions may still be present and still being picked up as insecure by PSI. These (with help) can be searched out and eliminated.

Favourites for this, are some Adobe products (especially Flash), and some browsers (normally not Firefox), that leave behind old file versions (or parts of).

A bit of time, work and patience could soon have you sorted out, and provide increased security for your PC

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
michaelsalis RE: secunia waste of time
Member 29th May, 2010 22:31
Score: 57
User Since: 18th Feb 2009
System Score: 98%
my statement is not wrong.if special instructions are needed to get it to work then it is a waste of time. i will follow your instructions and report back

To ensure that software is upto date and secure is the responsibility of the Vendor of the software NOT Secunia and psi.

What psi does is to let you know if a piece of software is insecure without the latest security patches, it is not here to repair or put it right although they helpfully provide further information to assist users to obtain the latest security patches. Furthermore the forum is here with help from more experienced users and at times Secunia staff.

Therefore it is not psi that is a waste of time it is the fault of software Venfors who either do not properly support their software after you have installed it or do not provide proper uninstall/install facilities for their software as many are more interested in selling the software and are very lax in providing proper support.

A couple of programs have already been listed, Google Chrome never uninstalls the previous version when installing the new version, psi advises users of this and then you are able to do something about it.

Before using psi there were programs that I had no idea were insecure, now my system is always upto date.

If you have a gripe with any particular piece of software perhaps you should contact the Vendor and let them know what you think.

--
Michael
Toshiba Satelite A660
Intel i7
Windows 7 Ultimate
IE9

Toshiba Equium Laptop
Intel Centrino Duo
Windows Vista Ultimate SP2
IE9
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+