Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
J.Balle Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Secunia Official 28th May, 2010 17:37
Ranking: 10
User Since: 25th Nov, 2008
System Score: N/A
Hi guys,

Just to inform we have released version 1.5.0.2 of the Secunia PSI. This is primarily a maintenance release. No new functionality has been added with this release.

You can see the full changelog here:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Please let us know if you experience any issues with this release.

Have a great weekend.

Jakob

bobsiegel1 RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Member 28th May, 2010 18:22
Score: 5
User Since: 28th May 2010
Cannot download the update when "update available" appears. Notice disappears then nothing more happens and Secunia PSI opens as usual..
Downloaded version 1.5.0.2 and it will not install. Goes into loop ... you must uninstall ... install...repeat you must uninstall,etc. (Yes, I first exit/closed Secunia PSI.)
Cannot delete Secunia PSI 1.5.0.0 even when signed in as admin.

--
Gator Bob Gainesville FL
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Leendert Kip Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Member 28th May, 2010 18:40
Score: 70
User Since: 22nd Jan 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 28th May, 2010 18:42
I just installed the new release without problem. After starting install the program asks to stop old version by right-clicking on the icon and click on stop.
Then the old version is deleted and the new one installed. Scan works OK. New version is shown in lower right corner.

--
PC: JJ Computer Services
Intel Core I3 2100 3.1Ghz
DDR3 Kingston ValueRam 4GB 1333
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits SP1
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Laptop: MSI GT780DX
Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits SP1
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+1
taffy078 RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Contributor 28th May, 2010 20:58
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
I had a slight hiccup - after downloading it didn't instal straightaway then when I ran it, it did the "waiting for . . . . connectivity . . . " (whatever!)

But no real problems. Just checking it out now. Thank you.

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

Desktop: Compaq Presario (OEM) 32 bit / AMD Athlon / 2 GB RAM
XP Home - SP3/ IE8/ Norton IS - Secunia PSI v2.0.0.3003

Laptop: Win 7 / IE11 / PSI v2.0.0.3003
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 28th May, 2010 21:25
My Seconia 5.1.0.0 file in its entirety is not accessible even if I try to open it as administrator, thus it cannot be deleted. All my attempts to delete it have failed, including 1) the download's automated process 2) Windows 7 - 64 Uninstall 3) even when I try to "delete" in Explorer I am refused access with this message "... you may not have the appropriate permissions to access this file".

Until I or the download can access ver 5.0.0.0 to delete it, I cannot install the new update.

--
Gator Bob Gainesville FL
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 28th May, 2010 21:27
It also refused to allow me access when I tried to ciick open the Uninstall
file inside the Secunia folder in Explorer.

--
Gator Bob Gainesville FL
Was this reply relevant?
+1
litzi RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Member 29th May, 2010 01:07
Score: 6
User Since: 29th Dec 2009
Last edited on 29th May, 2010 02:24
I am another person that cannot get this new release to install. I click on "Run" after the download (using Internet Explorer 8), and am greeted with the message "Installer integrity check has failed. Common causes include incomplete download and damaged media. Contact the installer's author to obtain a new copy."

I am running Windows XP Professional SP3 with ALL the latest patches. A few hours ago I ran a complete virus, spyware, etc. scan, and encountered no problems.

I am running on a Dell laptop with plenty of memory and hard disk space. I had no problem at all installing the previous version of PSI (my first encounter with your software).

UPDATE: I tried installing the new release on my husband's computer. It is also running Windows XP Professional SP3 with ALL the latest patches, and a virus/spyware scan was just run there as well. It is a custom made computer with plenty of memory and hard disk space.

The difference is that he uses Firefox, and that's where I downloaded the new release from. And the installation worked.

So I went back to my desktop and launched Firefox, and downloaded the latest PSI release from that browser. And the installation also WORKED.

I have no idea why (apparently) a download of the new PSI from Firefox works, while installation after downloading with Internet Explorer fails. This makes no sense to me.
Was this reply relevant?
+6
Contributor 29th May, 2010 07:12
my instal worked OK on my desktop (XP) & Leendert's worked OK (Vista).

But like Bob I'm now in a loop "PSI is still running - close it first" when it's not running on my laptop (Windows 7 Home Premium).

Litzi's worked (eventually!) - XP.

So there's a clear pattern?

I'll try Litzi's solution and go via Firefox.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Contributor 29th May, 2010 07:30
still no joy!

I went via Firefox, clicked on "Download PSI" and got a prompt "You have chosen to open PSISetup.exe which is a binary file. Select Save to proceed".

Which I did. This brough up another small window, mainly blank but with a "clear list" prompt. I waited two minutes - nothing happened, so I exited from that window.

I went back to the home page, clicked on "download PSI" and this time got the same prompt ("you have chosen . . . ") but 'Select' was greyed out.

I restarted, got the "new program" prompt, went into that and got the same loop "PSI is currently running".

So, failed - for now.

Has anyone with Windows 7 managed to install the new version of PSI?

--

Was this reply relevant?
+1
daisuke RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Member 29th May, 2010 07:55
Score: -1
User Since: 2nd Jan 2009
Welcome 1.5.0.2 and Arabic.

(unknown source)
Certificate signing now uses timestamping

great Signing system!

Best Regards to Jacob and Team.

--
daisuke osada (localized for ja-JP)
barlog http://barca.daa.jp
twitter: http://twitter.com/daisuke
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Handling Contributor 29th May, 2010 07:55
Score: 11738
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Perfect. Completed using the PSI balloon warning offered in less than a minute.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+7
Contributor 29th May, 2010 08:53
Installed it!

I thought that I'd followed the instructions - I'd removed the icon from the task bar - but there was still a hidden icon so I right-clicked & removed that.

My error!!

As TiMow says: "Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans. "

bobsiegel1 - does this help you?

--

Was this reply relevant?
+1
XPS720 RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Member 29th May, 2010 09:44
Score: 2
User Since: 26th Oct 2008
System Score: 97%
I had the same problems as others in that Internet Explore would not run after a download of setup.exe giving an integrity failure. Tried all recommended fixes to retry without success.
Then tried Google Chrome and all worked successfully.

--
Geoff Stone
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Tenpin RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Member 29th May, 2010 09:58
Score: 0
User Since: 11th Feb 2010
I'm experiencing the same issue with Thunderbird, Firefox, and Chrome. I've updated all three program and did a rescan with the same results.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
knudok RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Member 29th May, 2010 10:47
User Since: 26th Nov 2008
When running PSISetup.exe I get the following message:
NSIS error
Installer intergrity check has failed. Common causes include incomplite download and damaged media. Contact the installer's author to obtain a new copy.

To solve my problem do I have to get a new copy?

Kind regards
knudok
Was this reply relevant?
+2
JeanneM RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Member 29th May, 2010 11:15
User Since: 7th Apr 2010
System Score: 98%
Hi,

I really like being informed about threats and so on so thank you for this program. I also found out how I can get rid of warnings I don't need by making exceptionrules. Great feature! Thanks. :)

What I don't like: It ignores my default browser which is Internet Explorer 8. It keeps giving me warnings about the unsafety and from what I've read in this thread, it refuses to let me go to download the new version. I think that is unacceptable. My only browser is IE8, I know how to handle the socalled "unsafeties" and I like IE8 very much. (as if Firefox is 100% safe! Come on people).
Anyway, I don't want to install another browser on my computer. BTW When I had Opera installed, even that one was unsafe according to Secunia.
When I clicked on a weblink to get the latest Java, it warned me that my default browser wasn't installed so it had tyo use another browser, IE8!

I'm sorry for the rant but I just wanted to let you know there are people that use IE8 and are very happy with it.
Now my question: Why can't I just click on the balloons secunia gives me and do I have to doubleclick every time on the icon in the system bar? Is there something I have to set first? And how and where can I get the update without having to install another browser?

Thank you for reading this and thank you for answering. I'm Dutch so English is not my first language. Therefore I don't always know to choose the right words in English. I'm sorry if I upset anyone.

Again, I think this program is a great program!

Love, Jeanne

--
I am what I am, my own special creation
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Anthony Wells RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Expert Contributor 29th May, 2010 12:17
Score: 2439
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 29th May, 2010 12:20
For @tenpin and @jeanneM ,

you need to create your own separate thread(s) - each your own one - and give full details of your problem(s) - people here are talking about the new 1.5.0.2. release and problem(s) encountered in instaling , set up , running it .

Take care
Anthony

PS: Jeanne , your English is just fine , repeat it in the new thread you create :)

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
JeanneM RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Member 29th May, 2010 12:30
User Since: 7th Apr 2010
System Score: 98%
Thank you. :) I created a new thread just now. I hesitated at first because I'm totally new on this forum. I knew my post actually wasn't in the right thread, sorry for being a bother.

Love, Jeanne

--
I am what I am, my own special creation
Was this reply relevant?
+2
amandajnmaui RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Member 29th May, 2010 12:46
Score: -11
User Since: 19th Nov 2009
Last edited on 29th May, 2010 12:49
I am also trying to install this update and get the same dialog box. I have an emachines gateway intel windows vista. I get the same box as litz does intergrity not verified or something like that. contact author for new version. I just ran a scan and everything is fine have one insecure browser that can't fix and can't seem to get rid of either. Other than that everything runs fine. How can i get this to download and install?

This is the dialog box i get after run:
"Installer integrity check has failed. Common causes include incomplete download and damaged media. Contact the installer's author to obtain a new copy."

--
Amanda Jernigan
Venus Rising
www.amazing-dish-tv.net
Was this reply relevant?
+0
compo59 RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Member 29th May, 2010 12:55
Score: 4
User Since: 4th Dec 2008
I tried installing this update and it failed with a "NSIS Error" - saying "Installer inegrity check has failed. Common causes include incomplete download and damaged media. Contact the installers author to obtain a new copy. More information at http://nsis.sf.net/NSIS_Error"
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Richpjones RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Member 29th May, 2010 13:35
User Since: 6th Jun 2009
Installed this new release and results after first scan on Insecure show need to uninstall Java.exe file as part of the sports interactive Football Manager game.

Is this an error and if not can't see a Java .exe file ?

Hope this is clear - am a first time poster.

Memo: great product by the way !
Was this reply relevant?
+0
stfox38 RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Member 29th May, 2010 14:32
User Since: 5th Mar 2008
Thanks for your information. I also could not get this release to install. The error messae said the installation file was corrupt, etc. I downloaded it again...same results. When I read your experience with Firefox, I downloaded and installed with no problem. Thank you.

I have Vista 64bit with IE8 as default browser. With this my download file was 351 kb . When I downloaded the same file with Firefox it was 717 kb. Slight difference. Thank you, Microsoft.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
hanschan RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Member 29th May, 2010 14:39
User Since: 18th Mar 2009
I am using PSI 1.5.0.1 to my full satisfaction. On 28.+29.05.2010, I tried to install version 1.5.0.2, unfortunately, without success, apparently because PSI was in progress when I tried. How can I solve this problem?

Thank you for your assistance and best regards,

Hanschan
Was this reply relevant?
+0
compo59 RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Member 29th May, 2010 14:55
User Since: 4th Dec 2008
OK - so I fixed it with the help of this Forum., but I had to download and install Firefox first, then access the Secunia web site to download the latest version. All a lot of faff when I should have been able to do it from the pop-up ballon directly.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TiMow RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Dedicated Contributor 29th May, 2010 15:16
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
@hanschan

To exit PSI fully, right click PSI tray icon (bottom right on toolbar), then click exit.

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
knudok RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Member 29th May, 2010 16:36
I have solved me problem with NSIS error!
I am using Windows Vista and Internet Explorer 8.

In the Internet Window i clicked "Safety" and selected "Delete Browsing History".
After making sure "Temporary Internet Files", "History" and "Cookies was checked, I clicked "Delete".
Then I was able to install the Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release witout problems.

Greetings
knudok

Was this reply relevant?
+3
whatthefck RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Member 29th May, 2010 18:13
User Since: 11th Oct 2009
I have the same problem
Was this reply relevant?
+0
3-northernpike RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Member 29th May, 2010 18:16
Score: 9
User Since: 8th Jan 2010
Effort to download Update failed...got a message re: something about "installer." Got any tips what to do?
Thanks.

--
6poundnorthernpike
Was this reply relevant?
+0
GoneToPlaid RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Member 29th May, 2010 19:05
User Since: 1st Apr 2009
on 29th May, 2010 09:44, XPS720 wrote:
I had the same problems as others in that Internet Explore would not run after a download of setup.exe giving an integrity failure. Tried all recommended fixes to retry without success.
Then tried Google Chrome and all worked successfully.

I vaguely recall reading a while back that AVG 9 would cause integrity failures with downloaded programs. Are any of you with this issue using AVG?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ax89 RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Member 29th May, 2010 19:43
Score: 1
User Since: 29th May 2009
I had Secunia 1.5.0.0 before and it had this minor but troubling bug. The main page said:
Your Secuina System Score of 100%...

Compared to users WITHOUT Secunia PSI installed, your ... score is 85% WORSE - install patches now!

I always thought this was hilarious - but Troubling. If Secunia can't get something so simple right, how trustworthy is the rest of the PSI?

Glad to see this bug is fixed in 1.5.0.2 - now the 2nd para says "...score is 15% HIGHER", and doesn't say install patches now either!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Expert Contributor 29th May, 2010 21:25
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
No problems installing the new version here...once I'd gotten to Secunia .com. Had a problem with my Host Processing Service at the time.
I seem to remember that updating psi was easier last time round....did'nt we just have to click on update in the app itself ? As long as it's not my memory playing tricks !!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
xjklt RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Member 29th May, 2010 21:31
User Since: 6th Mar 2009
Same problem Taffy. I recon I will just wait until Secunia gets the glitch fixed. I still have the previous version running and doing its job. It is not worth my time to go further to seeks solutions that work for some and not others.

I also noticed that on the Secunia site that the new version seems to have no increased functionality!

Have patience all............I am sure Secunia will fix.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
nkmr916 RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Member 30th May, 2010 08:01
User Since: 30th May 2010
I tried to download the new version.
The new version is wrote as 734KB on your homepage.
But dowloaded only 147KB.
When I went to install further,an error was reported.
The error message is as following.
"Installer integrity check has failed.
Common cause include incomplete download and damaged media.
Contact the installer's author to obtain a new copy"
Please solve this problem.
Thank you.
qone

--
qone
Was this reply relevant?
+0
nkmr916 RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Member 30th May, 2010 08:05
The same status has occured in my case.
qone

--
qone
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ValerieA RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Member 30th May, 2010 10:54
User Since: 15th Dec 2008
I clicked on the icon for the new release for PSI, ticked the OK box that popped up but then - nothing!!!!

Was there anything behind the box which stated they would be using the ZLIB COMPRESSION LIBRARY?

Valerie

--
Valerie

Packard Bell
Intel Pentium 4
Windows XP Home SP3
Was this reply relevant?
+0
hustonlv RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Member 30th May, 2010 11:18
Installation worked perfect and now using new release.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 30th May, 2010 11:36
Hi all

This is becoming a long thread, with much to read - for those posting at 30+ replies, I will advise the following (which has already been posted above):

By clicking on the bubble initiates download/installation using IE - which as I understand by reading this thread can cause some problems.

I have just updated without problems, using the following method:

1) Close PSI, using tray icon (bottom right toolbar) > right click icon > exit.

2) In Firefox (my choice; Chrome should also work), on any Secunia web page, select PSI from Products at top, then click blue download box.

3) Proceed as normal for download/installation (follow the wizard)

Only one minor glitch to report (probably impatience on my part):

When asked if I wanted to launch PSI and I checked OK the horizontal barber pole came to load interface (usual less than 10 secs message), but then the barbers pole froze and time passed well beyond 10 secs.

I then closed the window and re-launched from All programs in Start menu - still a bit of a delay, but the pole remained turning and PSI then opened as it should. Another slight delay for graphics to completely load, but after the initial scan completed, everything was as it should be.

Hope this helps those of you still having problems.

One other point for anyone reading this that hasn't yet initiated updating. I created a restore point in System Restore, prior to downloading. As I could see others having problems, if I experienced the same, then I could return to my prior stable condition, and not lose the use of PSI.

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
wr RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Contributor 30th May, 2010 17:07
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
Hi all

Having a problem with PSI download & getting a NSIS
error message?

There are 3 items that usually 'fix' the NSIS problem.

1. Clear Temp Internet files

2. Use another browser to download

3. Use another download source: http://download.cnet.com/Secunia-Personal-Software...

Hope this helps.

Regards, wr

If this post solves your problem please lock this thread by
choosing the ACCEPT option so you & I will
not receive unnecessary update emails.

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Contributor 30th May, 2010 17:14
wr - thanks for this tip. When the new monthly technical hints & tips thread starts 1st June, will you repost it there please? Will help lots, imho.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Contributor 30th May, 2010 22:37
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
Hi All;

I know I'm asking for a zap, but can't help myself.

on 28th May, 2010 17:37, J.Balle wrote:
... This is primarily a maintenance release. No new functionality ...

Have a great weekend.

Jakob

Both of mine are running ver. 1.5.0.0 quite nicely. 1.5.0.1 was an update to add languages (mostly) & as said above, 1.5.0.2 was maintenance (mostly).

I understand the desire to have current updates (kind'a the whole point of PSI) and am (somewhat) concerned about the update issue. I'm just saying...

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Spunner RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Member 31st May, 2010 19:58
User Since: 17th Aug 2009
Last edited on 31st May, 2010 19:58
Might be an idea to make a news or blog announcement about this release.

I had to hunt to find this thread... just to find out that nothing much had changed. 1 simple blog post would have saved me minutes.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
busyyou RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Member 1st Jun, 2010 04:04
Hi, I am having trouble installing the new update. I receive the following window--
NSIS Error.
Installer intergrity check has failled. Common causes include incomplete download and damaged media. Contact the installer auther to obtain a copy.

I receive the same error on a second computer.

I would be very pleases if you can help. Thank you.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 1st Jun, 2010 07:33
@busyyou

Scroll back a few posts (from here) on this thread - there is information from both myself (@TiMow) and @wr that should help.

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
BarryR RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Member 2nd Jun, 2010 17:47
User Since: 1st Aug 2009
I am running Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite (Checkpoint Software Technologies). It scans the PSIinstall module during the download. If it can not ascertain that it is virus and anti-spyware free, it attempts to run the software in a virtual space to observe its behavior. The PSI intallation was classified as "zombie" software and it was recommended not to continue with the install.

Can this be explained/fixed? It may involve a conversation with Checkpoint.

Thanks,

Barry
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jimsackett RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Member 2nd Jun, 2010 18:45
User Since: 12th Jan 2010
I received a pop-up message on my desktop saying that a new or updated version of Secunia PSI was available for loading (I assume it was referring to this new release since the version I have is 1.5.0.1). I clicked on the Secunia icon and was sent to an internet page on which appeared a dialog box asking me if I wanted to 'run' or 'save' the software. I clicked 'run' and it appeared that loading had commenced, then I had to click 'run' again, after which I received an NSIS Error dialog box which said the "Installer integrity has failed. Common causes include incomplete download and damaged media. Contact the installer's author to obtain a new copy." I assume that the only way I can contact the installer's author is through this forum, so that is what I am doing. Thank you, in advance, for your consideration and/or your assistance. --Jim Sackett
Was this reply relevant?
+0
valterspa RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Member 2nd Jun, 2010 18:51
User Since: 2nd Jun 2010
Hi, it seems that there is a problem with a latest release - system became irresponsive. After installation PSI main window did not appeared at all, I was unable to close the PSI.exe neither by normal way nor killing the psi.exe process from taskmgr.

Uninstallation of the PSI resolved the problem.

Runnning WinXP SP3 fully patched, Avira AntiVir, ZoneAlarm firewall
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 2nd Jun, 2010 18:54
Last edited on 2nd Jun, 2010 18:56
Hi Jim

There's posts further back (up) on this thread that should help from myself and @wr, but as it's just a case of copy and paste, I'll save you a bit of trouble.

A) Having a problem with PSI download & getting a NSIS
error message?

There are 3 items that usually 'fix' the NSIS problem.

1. Clear Temp Internet files

2. Use another browser to download

3. Use another download source: http://download.cnet.com/Secunia-Personal-Software...

Hope this helps.

Regards, wr

B) By clicking on the bubble initiates download/installation using IE - which as I understand by reading this thread can cause some problems.

I have just updated without problems, using the following method:

1) Close PSI, using tray icon (bottom right toolbar) > right click icon > exit.

2) In Firefox (my choice; Chrome should also work), on any Secunia web page, select PSI from Products at top, then click blue download box. (Also available top right of forum page - Download PSI)

3) Proceed as normal for download/installation (follow the wizard)

Only one minor glitch to report (probably impatience on my part):

When asked if I wanted to launch PSI and I checked OK the horizontal barber pole came to load interface (usual less than 10 secs message), but then the barbers pole froze and time passed well beyond 10 secs.

I then closed the window and re-launched from All programs in Start menu - still a bit of a delay, but the pole remained turning and PSI then opened as it should. Another slight delay for graphics to completely load, but after the initial scan completed, everything was as it should be.

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
marciast RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Member 2nd Jun, 2010 21:47
User Since: 23rd May 2010
I am having the exact same problems with the new download in NYC.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 3rd Jun, 2010 08:44
Last edited on 3rd Jun, 2010 08:45
missed this update? missed the bubble?

Visit the new thread Off-topic: general tech talk *** for a possible solution.

*** http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/437...

Edit: added link

--

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 5th Jun, 2010 15:14
Taffy........did you manage to get the new version to load eventually?

Best regards
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 8th Jun, 2010 13:55
Hi, xjklt.

Got there in the end. My main problem was that I'd missed deleting a Secunia icon (r/h side bottom panel).

Have you tried following the advice in the posts by TiMow 30th May, 2010 11:36 & 2nd Jun, 2010 18:54 (where he reminds us of wr's suggestion)?

Try them - if they work for you, it would be great for you to award a "relevant?"
+ point to either / both of them.

If that doesn't work & you're still having problems, my advice would be for you to create a new thread. That will be easier for the teccy guys to find and so should increase your chances of a resolution.

Wishing you well.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 8th Jun, 2010 18:13
Hi Taffy

Issue now solved for me.

Problem seemed to be that I could not uninstall old version because the uninstaller would not operate, thus leaving the old version on my PC. This had the effect of sending the new installation into a loop.

Tried uninstalling using control panel but this gave message of 'lack of administrative rights' so still no joy.

Idea ocurred to me to try uninstalling v1.5.0 in [b]'safe mode'[b] which worked a treat and had no problem at all installing v1.5.0.2...........took less than a minute to complete progress................and it recognised me!

Thanks for getting back to me

Best regards

xjkit...........Scottish Born and Bred

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 8th Jun, 2010 18:31
xjkit - I'm delighted to hear that everything is now well. Great news for you.

As for "Scottish Born and Bred" - well, we each have our crosses to bear!!!

Only joking, my friend - let's see more of you in the Relax 'n Chat section!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
shnewman RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Member 12th Jun, 2010 03:08
User Since: 3rd Feb 2010
My system: Win7x64. I uninstalled Secunia PSI & installed 1.5.0.2 on 6/4. All seemed fine (it is in Advanced mode). I last ran it on Wednesday 6/9 after running the MS June patches. Now when I go under Scan it no longer shows when the last scan was run (N/A), nor when it is next scheduled for a full scan (N/A). Manually running the scan does not change eiter status. After the scan it says that there are 0 insecure, 0 end of life and 0 patched (this last despite the fact that Windows, Office 2007, IE8, Avast, Comodo, Malwarebytes, Firefox, Flash, Java, Foxit, Irfan, Acronis True Image, CCleaner, Notepad++, PowerDVD, etc., etc., are all currently patched).

Any thoughts/suggestions before I try uninstalling/reinstalling?

Many TIA,

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 12th Jun, 2010 06:27
Hi shnewman, and welcome to Secunia!

Since this version was released at the end of May, there's been a further version released - Secunia PSI v1.9.0.0. (Although posts about it are shown in "PSI 2.0. TP.) You can access it via the link on the left or the one below:
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/444...

The main problem most had when trying to install it was not completely getting rid of all of the current version when uninstalling it e.g. not exiting secunia if the the icon was still showing bottom right.

I suggest you go to the links and try the new installation procedures.

If you're still having problems, post a new thread in the PSI 2.0 TP section as it may be connected with that.

Best wishes.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+1
shnewman RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Member 12th Jun, 2010 18:54
User Since: 3rd Feb 2010
Hi taffy,

many thanks for taking the time to help.

Please note that the link you provided is to a beta ("This is a test release and it comes without any kind of warranty for said reason, and you will experience that it is still a little rough around the edges."), and I do not put betas on a production machine.

I have re-downloaded psi.exe. I deselected the load at start up/enable system monitoring checkboxes. Rebooted. Uninstalled. Rebooted. Reinstalled. Problem remains. Whether under simple or advanced profile. It does not see any patched programs; nor it does notice that it has scanned the system and, under Overview, it reports: Waiting for first scan to finish.

I do not understand what has happened here; I've used PSI (with great satisfaction) first when I had an XP system and now on Win7 x64.

Sigh. I am open to further suggestions. Otherwise, I will just uninstall and wait to try again with the next update.

Sincerely
shnewman
Was this reply relevant?
+0
bjm__ RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Member 12th Jun, 2010 19:54
Score: 64
User Since: 9th Mar 2009
Last edited on 12th Jun, 2010 19:59
Hello thread,

What are the official "How To" install instructions from Secunia.
First time users & Established users.

Surely, Secunia offers "How To" install instructions. Either new releases are coded for over install or new releases require removal of prior release. And removal of prior release if required must have vendor protocol. Granted, new releases are few and far between at best....but, what happens next time. Users are having mixed experiences. How can Secunia evaluate posts absent an official "How To"
What possible difference can there be between pulling PSISetup.exe from UI bubble notice or from Secunia.com ?

Just my $.02

I'm waiting for official "How To".... yes it's free....but, even free apps offer author install instructions & removal tools if required or a built in uninstaller. Some official guidance for care and feeding their app.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
DRH255 RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Member 12th Jun, 2010 22:46
User Since: 31st Mar 2010
I am getting the same problem as several of you since installing the updated version. 0 programs detected as patched, insecure and end of life and an overall score of zero....even though prior to the update I had at least 14 programs or more listed as patched....and the OSI version detects that many and 2 insecure programs as well. What is up? It's useless to me now.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

wimhekken

RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
NathanG RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Member 13th Jun, 2010 07:15
Score: 1
As soon as I run PSI version 1.5.0.2, at least one of my Windows system sound settings is changed. Specifically, the “Start Navigation” sound (i.e., the familiar click associated with selecting a link in IE) is disabled. This is noticeable in both IE and Windows Explorer. At least some other, and possibly all other, event-triggered sounds do still function normally, and other audio functions seem to also function normally. The problem can be corrected by simply reapplying the correct settings in the Sounds control panel. However, the problem will recur each time the Secunia PSI application is restarted.

I did not encounter this problem with version 1.0.0.4, and reinstallation of version 1.0.0.4 also alleviated the problem. This problem has been present since version 1.5.

I am using Vista x64, and I am able to reliably reproduce this problem on a second Vista x64 machine as well.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 13th Jun, 2010 13:17
Last edited on 13th Jun, 2010 13:30
@ Thread
In an earlier reply (this thread) I offered...waiting for Secunia posted instructions and that PSI does not offer an uninstaller. I wrote in haste and concern for new release installation issues. PSI 1.5 does have an uninstaller. So, I need to know if 1.5.0.2 is coded as an over install update or coded as a clean install update.
Why is update recommended. As 1.5.0.0 is OK....what does 1.5.0.2 achieve/satisfy/offer/fix/ etc. for user. Added language is not required and I am unaware of bugs in 1.5.0.0 and what does certificate signing do/mean/why is timestamping helpful. What minor bugs are resolved with 1.5.0.2 and why does how I pull Setup.exe (browser/bubble/Secunia or mirror) download make a difference.

Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Jun, 2010 18:31
I just installed the new version 1.9.0.0 suggested by Taffy. I had manually uninstalled the 1.5.0.2 last evening because it seemed some here were mentioning it didn't fully uninstall old versions if done within the install. Prior to all that, I also had uninstalled 1.5.0.2, and tried reinstalling my old 1.0 version, but that didn't work anymore.

I must still have some part of the program partially installed that I can't find, because it scanned, and I am still getting a zero score in all categories. Plus, I have no prior history other than the bar graphs of past weeks. It does recognize my user name though.

I have no clue what the problem is....my next attempt when I have time later today, will be in safe mode as another user tried with success. I will let you know if that works.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 release
Expert Contributor 13th Jun, 2010 20:10
Score: 2439
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

To All ,

This thread is also dealing with much the same problem :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/447...

You may find some different ideas or maybe need to be patient until Secunia get back to PSI tomorrow (assuming it's not another holiday monday :)))

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 16th Jun, 2010 23:04
Last edited on 16th Jun, 2010 23:16
@ Topic
Well, opened PSI today and was Welcomed to PSI ver 1.0 ....curious I thought.
Along with the new release pop-up and my PSI ver 1.5 that was a blank slate even after scan except for the barber polls...how odd I thought....
Well, I went to my saved downloads ...I have 1.5, 1.5.0.2 pulled from bubble and 1.5.0.2 pulled from Secunia.
I procrastinated long enough I says to myself and double clicked 1.5.0.2 pull from Secunia. A few clicks and moments later after scan as it had been 9 days....1.5.0.2 was as happy as a pig in blank.
I guess that elusive 1.5 bug ...decided to pay me a visit.
The Readme doc is slightly outdated - Win7 is absent
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 17th Jun, 2010 05:36
bim-.... after reading your post, I tried installing again ( I had given up) ...I installed the PSI 1.9.0.0 that Taffy had mentioned previously, and finally....success! It's showing everything again and working fine. : ) Thanks!
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability