Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Program Update

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Nebuchadnezzar1 Program Update
Member 29th May, 2010 04:28
Ranking: 0
User Since: 19th Apr, 2010
System Score: 100%
Hello,
Before I begin, I just wanted to tell you this problem has to do with my desktop. I am writing this on my laptop. I'm in the process of updating this program which by the way, has Windows XP. At some point during the update, I saw a Hardware Installation box which said,
"The software you are installing for this hardware:

ActivityMonitor

has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP.
[Tell me why this testing is important]

Continuing your installation of this software may impair or destabilize the correct operation of your system either immediately or in the future. Microsoft strongly recommends that you stop this installation now and contact the hardware vendor for software that has passed Windows Logo testing.
Now I clicked the link asking why the testing was important and this is what I saw:

Designed for Microsoft Windows XP Logo

Hardware and software products displaying the Designed for Microsoft Windows XP logo have been tested for compatibility with Microsoft Windows operating systems through use of Microsoft-provided testing procedures. For the best performance, Microsoft recommends using hardware products that display the Designed for Microsoft Windows XP logo on the external packaging and on the device itself.
Designed for Windows logo

Software for hardware products with the Designed for Microsoft Windows XP logo has a digital signature from Microsoft, indicating that the product was tested for compatibility with Windows and has not been altered since testing. For the latest updates, including security fixes, service packs, new Help files, and device drivers, see Windows Update in Help and Support Center. You may also want to contact the hardware vendor directly and ask for a device driver that has met the Designed for Microsoft Windows XP logo requirements. For more information, visit the Microsoft Windows Logo Program (go to http://www.microsoft.com/ and search for "Windows logo program") on the Microsoft Web site.
Naturally, I stopped the installation and I welcome ideas and opinions on this please.

Thank you

--
People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing -- that's why we recommend it daily!

Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you!”

If you think twice before speaking once, you will speak twice the better for it.”

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great ones make you feel that you too can become great.”

People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don’t believe in circumstances. The people who really make it in this world are the ones who get up and look for the circumstances they want and if they can’t find them, they MAKE them.”

murphyscat RE: Program Update
Member 29th May, 2010 08:16
Score: -1
User Since: 14th Apr 2010
System Score: N/A
I keep getting told that the download is defective, but no matter how many times I have tried to download the update, I keep getting the same message.

Also that the security certificate is invalid !
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Program Update
Expert Contributor 29th May, 2010 12:27
Score: 2434
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

@murphyscat ,

I think you are posting in the wrong place .

If your problem is PSI update , look here :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/435...

If not create your own thread with full details of your problem ; I stand to be amazed if it is the same as Neb's !!

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Program Update
Expert Contributor 29th May, 2010 12:38
Score: 2434
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 29th May, 2010 12:41
@Neb1 ,

I have seen the window you describe relating to another matter . The programme involved was one I knew and that had previously worked fine (it was an NVidia (approved) display/ driver update) - it is/was essential to my PC , so I made sure I knew how to roll back in case anything went wrong , then I crossed everything and went ahead . That , and subsequent , installations have been fine . That is , just for me on my system !!

You need to post more info about your "Activity Monitor" :ie: programme details , what it is used for ,your knowledge of it , do you need to install it now to complete your system update , etc .

Hopefully , someone will be able to guide you further .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Nebuchadnezzar1 RE: Program Update
Member 29th May, 2010 22:49
Score: 0
User Since: 19th Apr 2010
System Score: 100%
Hi Anthony,
I'm not sure if you mean that you want to know what ActivityMonitor means. If so, I believe that this is the name XP gave PSI. If this is not your question, then you'll have to clarify what you mean. Now as you put it with NVIDIA, when I first downloaded and installed PSI on my desktop, it went fine and worked fine until I tried updating it. Again as you put it, I suppose I could go ahead with the installation, but before I do that, I will of course set a system restore point in case of any problems but would like to hear from anyone and everyone who has encountered this problem including of course, the moderators of this forum. So, I will wait to hear more opinions in the hopes of being assisted by someone who can help me further as you put it. Thanks for the ideas you put forth.

--
People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing -- that's why we recommend it daily!

Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you!”

If you think twice before speaking once, you will speak twice the better for it.”

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great ones make you feel that you too can become great.”

People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don’t believe in circumstances. The people who really make it in this world are the ones who get up and look for the circumstances they want and if they can’t find them, they MAKE them.”
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability