Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Internet Explorer - and more

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.x

This thread has been marked as resolved.
JeanneM Internet Explorer - and more
Member 29th May, 2010 12:28
Ranking: 2
User Since: 7th Apr, 2010
System Score: 98%
Hi,

I really like being informed about threats and so on so thank you for this program. I also found out how I can get rid of warnings I don't need by making exceptionrules. Great feature! Thanks. :)

What I don't like: It ignores my default browser which is Internet Explorer 8. It keeps giving me warnings about the unsafety and from what I've read in this thread, it refuses to let me go to download the new version. I think that is unacceptable. My only browser is IE8, I know how to handle the socalled "unsafeties" and I like IE8 very much. (as if Firefox is 100% safe! Come on people).
Anyway, I don't want to install another browser on my computer. When I clicked on a weblink to get the latest Java, it warned me that my default browser wasn't installed so it had tyo use another browser, IE8!
BTW When I had Opera installed, even that one was unsafe according to Secunia.

I'm sorry for the rant but I just wanted to let you know there are people that use IE8 and are very happy with it.
Now my question: Why can't I just click on the balloons secunia gives me and do I have to doubleclick every time on the icon in the system bar? Is there something I have to set first? And how and where can I get the update without having to install another browser?

Thank you for reading this and thank you for answering. I'm Dutch so English is not my first language. Therefore I don't always know to choose the right words in English. I'm sorry if I upset anyone.

Again, I think this program is a great program!

Love, Jeanne

--
I am what I am, my own special creation

Post "RE: Internet Explorer - and more" has been selected as an answer.
Anthony Wells RE: Internet Explorer - and more
Expert Contributor 29th May, 2010 12:54
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A

Hi Jeanne ,

Am busy today , so may not get back to you quickly . Your problems with IE8 "should" be "straightforward" to sort out .

Today , as it so happens , Chrome is the only "secure" browser (out of 3) on my PC . Nothing is 100% , except death and taxes , so you go with what you know and trust .

Be careful with ignore rules , which programmes/drives have you set to ignore and why ??

Plenty of helpers here to take care of you :))

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
JeanneM RE: Internet Explorer - and more
Member 29th May, 2010 14:22
Score: 2
User Since: 7th Apr 2010
Last edited on 29th May, 2010 14:26
Hi Anthony,

Thanks for answering and I don't mind having to wait a while. :)

I made 3 exceptions for some old programs I use now and then:
DamnInfoViewer
old version mediaplayer
MSFrontpage

And for my BackUp Drive because what it found on my computer, it finds also on my BackUp Drive of course, since I make a backup every day. :)

So Chrome is the only one that is 100% safe? Hmmm, maybe I'll have a look on that. I know my husband used it for a while but he went back to using IE.

BTW, I like the quote in your sig. :)

Love, Jeanne

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
joycedeer RE: Internet Explorer - and more
Member 30th May, 2010 21:00
Score: 0
User Since: 14th Feb 2010
I am having the same issue - thank you for posting this. I have IE8, Opera, and Chrome (all latest versions - all patched correctly). I use IE8 (on Win 7) and it is my default, because I teach online and the other two don't handle some things right. I actually HATE Opera except for the NOTES panel I use in my feedback on teaching. I am learning to like Chrome a LOT, but again, the issue of some online classes not "looking right" yet and not supported.

The problem: Secunia opens every update, every download, EVERYTHING in Opera, gives me that same error message about default browser, etc. On my school computer, which doesn't have Opera, it opens Chrome, again even though IE8 is set for default. Is there a place I can change this option, or get it to default to IE8? I have looked, searched online, etc, and can't seem to solve the issue, and then I read these forums and it seems several are asking this in different ways, and not "really" getting an answer for that......help?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wr RE: Internet Explorer - and more
Contributor 30th May, 2010 21:31
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
System Score: 100%
The PSI always runs the browser set as default for the "Administrator" user (which is the account the PSI should run as), so setting IE as the default for this user should allow you to use IE again.

Note the wording in this quote. "-set as default for the
"Administrator" user.

Hope this helps.

Regards, wr

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 30th May, 2010 21:58
Last edited on 30th May, 2010 21:58
I just checked - I am the only user, I am the admin, and I don't have guest turned on. A check of Internet Options....Programs....Default Web Browser says it is, as does CONTROL PANEL...DEFAULT PROGRAMS which has ALL for IE8. I checked here for Opera and the only two that ARE checked are the .XTHM extension and a widget extension. I can't uncheck them, no matter what I do. Maybe that is the issue? I don't know where else to look, but there are two places that confirm IE8 is my default under my Admin login.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 30th May, 2010 22:05
I just changed that to open with IE8 and that wasn't it. NOTHING is set except for that Widget as an opera default. I will continue checking the internet for clues. I appreciate your help, and any more you have to give :-) I don't know how to attach screenshots here, but I can send anything you want to see.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 30th May, 2010 22:08
WRONG!!! THAT did it! the window was hidden and I didn't see it until I logged off. It is the .XHTM extension that Opera sets itself as a default for that does this. You have several inquiries about this here on the forum - you can tell them too:-) Thanks for letting me brainstorm here and get this fixed! I will leave you alone now lol!
Was this reply relevant?
+0

wr

RE: Internet Explorer - and more
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
JeanneM RE: Internet Explorer - and more
Member 30th May, 2010 22:47
Score: 2
User Since: 7th Apr 2010
Update:
I downloaded the latest version of Secunia PSI with IE8 from the downloadspage here.
Download succeeded the first time.
Then I closed the browser and the PSI program, doubleclicked the set-up (716 kb)
It prompted that it had to uninstall the previous installation and although I was a bit afraid about my settings, I let it go.
Uninstall was succesful and it continued to install. My settings were the same and everything went well, as smooth as smooth can be.
Thanks again for a great program! :)

Love, Jeanne

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wr RE: Internet Explorer - and more
Contributor 30th May, 2010 23:33
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
System Score: 100%
Good to hear everything went well with uninstall/reinstall.
Yes Secunia makes it very easy to upgrade the PSI-tho it may seem daunting about the uninstall process-just close
the PSI & all is taken care of.

Would you now lock this thread by choosing ACCEPT
so no one subscribing to this thread will receive
unnecessary update emails.

Regards, wr

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability