xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Official link for 6.4.9.1 (patched and updated for secunia update...

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
And, this specific program:
Media Player Classic 6.x

This thread has been marked as resolved.
bartman1 Official link for 6.4.9.1 (patched and updated for secunia update database)
Member 2nd Jun, 2010 18:43
Ranking: -11
User Since: 1st Dec, 2008
System Score: N/A
http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli2/files/

I'm sure I already published this link before, hope u don't delete/ignore it this time

Post "RE: Official link for 6.4.9.1 (patched and updated for secunia update database)" has been selected as an answer.
theDRaKKaR RE: Official link for 6.4.9.1 (patched and updated for secunia update database)
Member 3rd Jun, 2010 16:48
Score: -2
User Since: 5th Mar 2010
I have that installed, but PSI still warn this as EOF
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Official link for 6.4.9.1 (patched and updated for secunia update database)
Expert Contributor 3rd Jun, 2010 17:12
Score: 2371
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

This is Secunia/PSI 's longstanding position and they do not seem inclined to change their rules . If you are confident that the latest revision is secure for you , you could set an ignore rule (with all that that entails/implies) and check your updates regularly :eg: K-lite Codec Pack usually has the latest revision on offer .

If you download Media Player Classic - Home Cineama , PSI will show the up to date version in the PSI "patched" tab My current version is shown as

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Official link for 6.4.9.1 (patched and updated for secunia update database)
Expert Contributor 3rd Jun, 2010 17:19
Last edited on 3rd Jun, 2010 17:25
To All ,

Showing MPC version(s) 6.4.9.1 as "EOL" is Secunia/PSI 's longstanding position and they do not seem inclined to change their rules . If you are confident that the latest revision is secure for you , you could set an ignore rule (with all that that entails/implies) and check your updates regularly :eg: K-lite Codec Pack usually has the latest revision on offer - sometimes before SourceForge .

If you download Media Player Classic - Home Cineama , PSI will show the up to date version in the PSI "patched" tab ; my current version is shown as # 1.3.1854.0 , it is displayed as installed in my/the K-Lite folder .

I hope this is clear enough .

Take care
Anthony

PLEASE NOTE : this "edited" version has double posted for some unknown reason ; this was not intended nor am I sure how it happened .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
theDRaKKaR RE: Official link for 6.4.9.1 (patched and updated for secunia update database)
Member 3rd Jun, 2010 17:26
Score: -2
User Since: 5th Mar 2010
Thanks Antonhy! But I still do not understand if this is "politics" or analysys....

The latest version quoted is really unsecure?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 3rd Jun, 2010 17:45

As far as I am aware , "technically" , MPC's development does not meet Secunia's criteria and where it was earlier reported as "insecure" , this was at least arguable , so it was moved to "EOL" where "official" support has stopped , even if it has been carried on by "third parties" .

This seems to be aimed at avoiding politics and further argument , even if it keeps on being brought up "again" .

How secure MPC is lies with the people producing the latest revisions and whether they are able to check for possible vulnerabilities , etc. They will have to advise you .

Those running with the Home Cinema version seem to meet Secunia's criteria for security/support/development .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
bartman1 RE: Official link for 6.4.9.1 (patched and updated for secunia update database)
Member 5th Jun, 2010 16:01
Score: -11
User Since: 1st Dec 2008
" If you are confident that the latest revision is secure for you , you could set an ignore rule"

I'm not a software analyzer or know that much about security to be confident about this, I only know according to the program change log that these 2 "unpatched" issues are already patched, I trusted secunia to be confident about programs security, I really hate home cinema but i guess i will start using it, thanks.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 5th Jun, 2010 18:12

@bartman1 ,

My version of Home Cinema is much later than the latest one that I could find on the SourceForge website ; I get mine from the K-lite Codec Pack . So be sure to check numbers , bearing in mind that PSI will still show any/all versions that it considers "secure" in the "patched" tab ; it disregards bug fixes and "eye candy" changes , as such .

The latest revision of MPC is also offered in the Pack , but I think you can only load one or the other . MPC-hc suits me for my needs and "security" is a top priority so the unknown factors of MPC makes the choice easy for me ; like you , I'm not any sort of analyst I keep up with/by using Secunia .

Hope you good for now .

Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Factsheets
Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability