Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: secunia update notification for i-tunes 32 bit

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
orejazz secunia update notification for i-tunes 32 bit
Member 4th Jun, 2010 23:11
Ranking: 0
User Since: 6th Dec, 2009
System Score: 96%
itunes updating. I keep getting secunia notification to download 32bit I tunes even though I have 64bit Itunes installed. I continue to get the 32 bit warning daily. I get the downloads from clicking on the Secunia solution button.

I have tried uninstalls and reloading and still go in the same circle. any ideas?

--
JavaMan

Post "RE: secunia update notification for i-tunes 32 bit" has been selected as an answer.
mogs RE: secunia update notification for i-tunes 32 bit
Expert Contributor 4th Jun, 2010 23:45
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 4th Jun, 2010 23:46
Hello.
Are you using psi with the Advanced interface ?
Is a version of itunes showing in the Patched tab ? And possibly another in the Insecure tab ?
What is the file path to the prog you are having trouble with ?
Please include as much info as possible......OS etc.. Regards

--
Was this reply relevant?
+2
orejazz RE: secunia update notification for i-tunes 32 bit
Member 5th Jun, 2010 00:46
Score: 0
User Since: 6th Dec 2009
Hi, thanks for the response. I am not an accomplished user. My interface is
"simple" mode. My operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. The I-tunes download is from within the Secunia security warnings section of the PSI window. Although the upgrades to I-tunes is applied, part way into the installation it warns me I needs- to update and refers me to download the 64 bit I-tunes which is already present. This update has been coming through ever since the upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7. I have had the same thing happen about some Adobe Reader upgrade warnings, even though I did update and install but secunia cleared those off my window after a few weeks. The I-tunes update has not gone away for months. Thanks for stopping by.

--
JavaMan
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: secunia update notification for i-tunes 32 bit
Expert Contributor 5th Jun, 2010 01:20
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
Last edited on 5th Jun, 2010 01:23
Okay orejazz.
I'm not very techie; and unfortunately not a Windows7 user either; but I do know that you would be able to gain more info if you switched to the Advanced interface. I can assure you it is not that difficult,
If you decide to go ahead with it, and after you have switched; click on the + sign alongside the insecurity/vulnerability....or any other prog/entry for that matter.....it will then expand to reveal more info including the file path. When you then click on Tech Details it will confirm it. If uncertain how to proceed, post that info back to the forum.....include as much info as possible.
To save you repeating details about your set-up, each time you post....include them in your Signature field as you see mine below.
It is possible that tho' you update progs ( they often leave old files/versions behind): Secunia psi will continue to detect them even if they are in the Recycle bin.
PS...I've got to go now, but I'm sure someone else will pick up the thread if you need any assistance further. Regards

--
Was this reply relevant?
+2
gjjean RE: secunia update notification for i-tunes 32 bit
Contributor 5th Jun, 2010 19:25
Score: 192
User Since: 9th Apr 2010
@ JavaMan

Beside mogs advice, Consider visiting the following SECUNIA thread :

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/396...

have luck.

--
HP pavilion DV6
Win 7 64bit - SP1
IE10 + MSSE4.3.215
Was this reply relevant?
+1
thedillpickl RE: secunia update notification for i-tunes 32 bit
Contributor 6th Jun, 2010 04:05
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
Last edited on 6th Jun, 2010 04:07
Hi JavaMan;

Mogs is correct, PSI works best in "Advanced Mode" and is easy. So unless you are troubled about it, lets have a go! (I'm on the wrong computer to do this so I have to remember stuff I have prepared on the other, sorry if I screw up.)

=======

To run PSI in "Advanced Mode", click on the PSI icon in the task bar. In the upper right corner is "Advanced" blue or black in color? If blue, click on "Advanced". In "Insecure" tab click on the [+] to the left of the program in question.
In the "Toolbox" for that program click on the "Technical details" icon, this will give us the version # & file path to the program. That is the what & where we need to figure this out. After jotting down the info, click close. Now click on the "Open Folder" icon. That takes you to where PSI sees the problem so you can poke around. Just do not delete anything and you'll be fine.

========

Now you have to tell us what's going on. You have to be our eyes & ears so to speak. Do you see a 16bit & 32bit i-tunes? You can tell (usually) when a file was installed by 'hovering' the mouse arrow over that file.

If you need specific instructions, I should check back tomorrow. Try to tell about what you 'see', but don't worry if it looks like Greek. File path & version # for all i-tunes files will suffice for now.

Regards;

Fred

p.s. Mogs is sounding more 'techie' nowadays. Either he's getting smarter or I'm getting dumber. (both are likely)

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 6th Jun, 2010 04:52
Hi,
I followed the instructions and the file path is c:\programfiles\iTunes\iTunes.exe

I opened the folder and found a lot of files. They may have been associated with my original 32bit download. But I am not finding a 32bit version per se.
I hovered on each file. Everything except 2 files were from 2009. There was a file indicating 64bit. my data files from the 32bit version from 2009 were transferred over apparently to my 64bit.

I can probably or should say have to live with the constant warning in the PSI window, it jus bugs me I guess.

Thanks Fred and all others who replied.

--
JavaMan
Was this reply relevant?
+0
gjjean RE: secunia update notification for i-tunes 32 bit
Contributor 6th Jun, 2010 18:27
Score: 192
User Since: 9th Apr 2010
@ JavaMan

I use iTunes to update and transfer music & notes to my iphone on my HP win7 64bit.
Click on windows explorer icon in the taskbar and open your C Drive.
You should see “program files “& “program files (x86). In these two folders there Will be an “iTunes “folder. The iTunes in program files is the 64bit and the other iTunes in Program files (x86) is the 32bit.
Also in the C Drive you’ll see a folder “Program Data “ Inside there should be another folder “Apple Computer “and if you open it you should see “Installer cache” .Inside you find “iTunes64.msi and SetupAdmin.exe “.
If you go to download site of iTunes, choose the 64bit, because if you download the 32bit, The program alerts you that “This software is not intended to run on a 64bit platform”.
Go ahead and uninstall iTunes completely then run the new downloaded one and all should be OK.

Good Luck

--
HP pavilion DV6
Win 7 64bit - SP1
IE10 + MSSE4.3.215
Was this reply relevant?
+3
thedillpickl RE: secunia update notification for i-tunes 32 bit
Contributor 7th Jun, 2010 01:19
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
@javaman, let us know how it turns out, you do not have to live with it. John sounds like he is very familiar with your situation.

@john, thanks!

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Jun, 2010 01:44
Mogs, Fred and most of all John

Hearty Thanks. Each of you gave a little key and impetus.

John You were the greatest help.
I followed your instructions. One deviation is I never found a Folder called Program Data.
What I ended up doing is going to i Tunes and downloaded and saved i Tunes 64bit to my desktop. Next I opened Windows Explorer and went to the C drive.
and opened. I went to program files and program files (x86) and deleted the i Tunes folder in each. I checked my Secunia window and the warning was gone. I restarted my computer for peace of mind, then checked the Secunia window and still no warning. I downloaded iTunes64bit setup from the desktop. It downloaded successfully and all my old music files were there.

--
JavaMan
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+