xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Why is Cain & Abel 4.x marked as End-Of-Life?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
And, this specific program:
Cain & Abel 4.x

This thread has been marked as resolved.
jahz Why is Cain & Abel 4.x marked as End-Of-Life?
Member 5th Jun, 2010 17:21
Ranking: 10
User Since: 26th Mar, 2009
System Score: N/A
Why does PSI consider Cain & Abel 4.x End-Of-Life when the page at http://www.oxid.it/cain.html shows 4.9.35 as the current version?

Incidentally, PSI reports the installed version as 4.9.3.5 - perhaps this is the reason it's marked EOL.

Post "RE: Why is Cain & Abel 4.x marked as End-Of-Life?" has been selected as an answer.
taffy078 RE: Why is Cain & Abel 4.x marked as End-Of-Life?
Contributor 5th Jun, 2010 18:00
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
System Score: 100%
Norton Web Safe shows the link to be a threat - FIVE multiple risks.

I suggest that you do NOT click on it.

I have emailed the Support team.

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

Desktop: Compaq Presario (OEM) 32 bit / AMD Athlon / 2 GB RAM
XP Home - SP3/ IE8/ Norton IS - Secunia PSI v2.0.0.3003

Laptop: Win 7 / IE11 / PSI v2.0.0.3003
Was this reply relevant?
+1
jahz RE: Why is Cain & Abel 4.x marked as End-Of-Life?
Member 5th Jun, 2010 18:20
Score: 10
User Since: 26th Mar 2009
With all due respect taffy078, did you look at the threats? They relate to the software which is available to download at oxid.it and not the site itself - the site is perfectly legitimate, has been around for a long time and is in no way malicious.
The link I posted is perfectly safe to click on, in other words.

I could understand your concern if you had stated that you thought the software available was unsafe because Norton, a trusted name in security, has flagged the site with a big red X because of the software available there. However, you should note that this flagging is the result of automated analysis (as stated) and does not consider the following:

The tools are perfectly safe to install and use and pose no threat.
If you find Abel on your machine, but have not installed Cain & Abel then this is indicative of potentially malicious activity by someone who installed Cain & Abel on their machine and deployed Abel (which is an agent) to your site to act as a back-door or information gathering tool. The tool is only malicious if someone is using it as such.
Same goes for creddump.

Perhaps you ought to mail the support team again.
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Maurice Joyce RE: Why is Cain & Abel 4.x marked as End-Of-Life?
Handling Contributor 5th Jun, 2010 18:21
Score: 11633
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 5th Jun, 2010 18:47
The mismatch of file data is exactly the reason. U need to suggest the programme to Secunia using the link provided & they will correct their database.

A link is at the bottom of the Patched page. Fill out the boxes & Secunia should pick it up.

There is no threat to the web page. One or two downloads could be ? - Just run a virus scan on the file before installation if U are concerned.

Just run Abel & Cain - as suggested by @jahz "as clean as a whistle" as the UK saying goes.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 5th Jun, 2010 19:49
Last edited on 5th Jun, 2010 19:50
Thank you Maurice, I've suggested the program as you suggested.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

taffy078

RE: Why is Cain & Abel 4.x marked as End-Of-Life?
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
Contributor 6th Jun, 2010 18:40
Also, Mogs' post today at 18:25 in the new Off-topic: general tech talk thread is relevant from a basic user's viewpoint.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 6th Jun, 2010 19:10
I disagree. It's in no way relevant. That post is talking about poisoning search results by associating search keywords with malicious websites to direct people searching for those keywords to malicious websites designed to infect the computers used by those users. It reveals measurements as to the extent to which search results are affected.

This thread concerns the incorrect flagging of an application as End of Life by Secunia because the version string stored in PSI rules is/was incorrect. I posted a link to the product page at the vendor website to assist with those who would correct the PSI rules.

taffy078 felt it necessary to warn members about the link I posted based on the report from automated (and fallible) assessment of the application's website page without taking any time to understand the report. No doubt it was with the best of intentions, nevertheless it was incorrect and impolite to do so.
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Anthony Wells RE: Why is Cain & Abel 4.x marked as End-Of-Life?
Expert Contributor 6th Jun, 2010 19:26
Score: 2434
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 6th Jun, 2010 19:28
For taffy ,

I have just run the link provided by jahz through my site advisor , Norton's red X is telling you that the site itself is clean , but certain downloads are suspect - one others site advisor gives a warning amber and the rest show green ; so :-

on 5th Jun, 2010 18:20, jahz wrote:
With all due respect taffy078, did you look at the threats? They relate to the software which is available to download at oxid.it and not the site itself - the site is perfectly legitimate, has been around for a long time and is in no way malicious.
The link I posted is perfectly safe to click on, in other words.

I could understand your concern if you had stated that you thought the software available was unsafe because Norton, a trusted name in security, has flagged the site with a big red X because of the software available there. However, you should note that this flagging is the result of automated analysis (as stated) and does not consider the following:

The tools are perfectly safe to install and use and pose no threat.
If you find Abel on your machine, but have not installed Cain & Abel then this is indicative of potentially malicious activity by someone who installed Cain & Abel on their machine and deployed Abel (which is an agent) to your site to act as a back-door or information gathering tool. The tool is only malicious if someone is using it as such.
Same goes for creddump.

Perhaps you ought to mail the support team again.

You have listed the "potentially dangerous" links found by Norton in your post ; what do you think will happen if an unsuspecting person clicks on one of your quoted "live" links . Perhaps you could ask Secunia to remove them on Monday .

Take care
Anthony

EDIT : post crossed with that of jahz .

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1

taffy078

RE: Why is Cain & Abel 4.x marked as End-Of-Life?
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
Member 6th Jun, 2010 21:33
Last edited on 6th Jun, 2010 21:33
on 6th Jun, 2010 21:13, taffy078 wrote:
Sorry but I disagree. If Norton have it wrong, it will be incorrect but it's not impolite. I was simply highlighting risks that Norton shows.

My point, was that you didn't take time to evaluate the report and were wrong to highlight a threat when it isn't a threat and in so doing hijack this legitimate thread, which was impolite.
Was this reply relevant?
+6
Contributor 6th Jun, 2010 21:41
we will just have to disagree, jahz.

I realise that you were challenging an EoL result by a Secunia scan but before I clicked on your link, I did what I always do - I copied it & pasted it into Norton Search.

When that showed possible dangers, I highlighted it. I wasn't hijacking your thread.

Anthony was totally correct in pointing out to me that my links were also a threat.

Sorry jahz.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 7th Jun, 2010 12:51
Just to note that I've run a PSI scan today and Cain & Abel 4.x in no longer marked as EOL. In the list of 'Patched Programs' the version number of C&A is still showing the incorrect value 4.9.3.5 which is puzzling - hopefully this will be fixed too.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
BLindow RE: Why is Cain & Abel 4.x marked as End-Of-Life?
Secunia Official 7th Jun, 2010 13:20
Score: 35
User Since: 6th Nov 2009
on 7th Jun, 2010 12:51, jahz wrote:
Just to note that I've run a PSI scan today and Cain & Abel 4.x in no longer marked as EOL. In the list of 'Patched Programs' the version number of C&A is still showing the incorrect value 4.9.3.5 which is puzzling - hopefully this will be fixed too.

If you open properties for Cain.exe and click the "Details" tab you will see that the "Product Version" is 4.9.35 and the "File Version" is 4.9.3.5 - We use the File Version for our rules, so it's listed correctly in the PSI

Hope this helps
Member 7th Jun, 2010 16:28
Ah, thank you BLindow, I should have noticed the file version number myself.

So, great, this little issue has been addressed; I'm happy.

Thanks to everyone involved.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability