xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Zonealarm 5.5062.004 "End-of-life"?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Zone Labs
And, this specific program:
ZoneAlarm 5.x

This thread has been marked as resolved.
idnny Zonealarm 5.5062.004 "End-of-life"?
Member 6th Jun, 2010 00:40
Ranking: 0
User Since: 6th Jun, 2010
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 6th Jun, 2010 00:42

Hi. I'm using an older version of Zonealarm (version 5.5062.004). This morning, PSI reported that ZA was at it's "End-of-life." I checked ZA and it is still working like it should. Should I be concerned? What does "End-of-life" mean and how do I fix it? I know I can just "upgrade" to the latest version of ZA, I'm sure that would fix it. The thing is, I HAD the latest version of ZA installed, but uninstalled it because I was having problems with it. My friend suggested that I install v5.5062.004, so I did and it works great.

Post "RE: Zonealarm 5.5062.004 "End-of-life"?" has been selected as an answer.
mogs RE: Zonealarm 5.5062.004 "End-of-life"?
Expert Contributor 6th Jun, 2010 00:48
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
" End of Life " means that the vendor has ceased support for that particular product. You'll need to choose an alternative. Regards

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: Zonealarm 5.5062.004 "End-of-life"?
Contributor 6th Jun, 2010 03:35
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Hi idnny;

If I may add to what mogs has said, if the ZoneAlarm wasn't security software I would not be as concerned that you have a supported version. (This is the security software and not the firewall only, correct? If firewall only, see below.) End-of-Life programs receive no updates, revisions or support of any kind from the vendor. As far as they are concerned the product is dead & buried. That means no more lists of spyware & viruses from ZoneAlarm. This will quickly make the unsupported version of ZoneAlarm ineffective and leave your system vulnerable.

Good news is that you can reinstall the 'newer' version you had previously installed if you wrote the "Key Code" down when it was first installed. Just download a copy and when prompted, enter your old "Key Code". Without it you will have pay. You can download the free firewall here http://download.cnet.com/ZoneAlarm-Free-Firewall/3... or go to Gizmo's site and try out free security software http://www.techsupportalert.com/pc/security-tools.... . He gives good advice and is not biased (read: not in anyones pocket).

If we can answer any more questions about this problem, please ask.

Regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability