Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI and multi boot system

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
JustPlainFred PSI and multi boot system
Member 7th Jun, 2010 22:36
Ranking: 0
User Since: 20th Nov, 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 7th Jun, 2010 22:36

Hello all,
I run a multi boot system, and would like to be able to select PSI to check only the system that i am on at the time . ( as i have 5 OS's ) it gets confusing keeping track of all the drives , when PSI scans. (results are for all drives) Question is there any way to do this? Thanks ...Regards Fred

HP Pavilion Desktop
Vista Home Premium, and "7" 32 \ 64 bit
Linux Mint 9 Isadora

Post "RE: PSI and multi boot system" has been selected as an answer.
ddmarshall RE: PSI and multi boot system
Dedicated Contributor 8th Jun, 2010 00:22
Score: 1210
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
You cannot stop PSI scanning all the partitions on your system. You can stop it reporting on selected partitions by setting up ignore rules. Use the settings tab in Advanced Mode.
http://secunia.com/gfx/advanced_settings.png

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
JustPlainFred RE: PSI and multi boot system
Member 8th Jun, 2010 15:05
Score: 0
User Since: 20th Nov 2009
ddmarhall,
Hello and thanks for the reply, Question : How exactly would you set up a rule ? Does it have to be in a programing language ? or use "notepad" etc. Let me explain... I run several OS's with no Patches or updates, i provide my own security measures. So... when secunia scans it freaks out and i get tons of "alerts" end of life \ not patched etc. (all lumped together) a gigantic pain.what would be nice is that you could just select what drive that you want scanned . As i have no intention of ever "updating" some of my systems. Maybe you could pass this suggestion along to whoever needs to see it . ( not familiar with your forum ) I think that this would be an improvement as many people are now multiple booting various systems.Regards Fred
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ddmarshall RE: PSI and multi boot system
Dedicated Contributor 8th Jun, 2010 15:34
Score: 1210
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
To set up an ignore rule all you need to do is click 'create ignore rule' on the settings page and put the path of what you want to ignore in the 'Rule' field. You can put anything you like as the name. Anything in that path and its subfolders will not be reported. For example if you don't want to see anything for drive D: enter D:\ as the rule. You can set up such rules for each disk you don't want a report on. Secunia will still scan all the disks, so it won't save any time. I'm not sure what will happen with you Linux partition if it isn't NTFS or FAT.

Most of the people on this forum are users, but Secunia monitor it and I'm sure they will pick up your suggestion.

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
JustPlainFred RE: PSI and multi boot system
Member 10th Jun, 2010 14:48
Score: 0
User Since: 20th Nov 2009
ddmarshall,

Hello, i just wanted to update and thank you for your help. The create ignore rules suggestion has worked ... Had to make a new rule for each drive... B:\, D:\, E:\, F:\ and repeated for each OS when booted . Thanks again, Regards Fred
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer