Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: conflicting Information

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
OpenOffice.org
And, this specific program:
OpenOffice.org 3.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
Eccles conflicting Information
Member 13th Jun, 2010 06:09
Ranking: 0
User Since: 9th Nov, 2008
System Score: N/A
Secunia keeps telling me that there is an update available for my open Office, the O O "check for updates tells me that I am up to date. I clicked on the link on my Secunia scan page which shows an update that will take ONE HOUR to download, I tried it an 20 minutes later it still showed ONE HOUR left. what is going on here?

wr RE: conflicting Information
Contributor 13th Jun, 2010 06:22
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
System Score: 100%
Hi Eccles

All versions of OOo priorto 3.2.1 are insecure-here's
link describing the vulnerability: http://www.openoffice.org/security/cves/CVE-2010-0...

I don't use OOo but you're upgrading to a new v.
so possibly that's why the 'patch' is so large.

Hope this helps.

Regards, wr

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 31.3.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
TiMow RE: conflicting Information
Dedicated Contributor 13th Jun, 2010 09:13
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Try this link (it may be different to what you've already tried).

http://download.openoffice.org/other.html#tested-f...

It still takes a bit of time, but nowhere near an hour.

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Eccles RE: conflicting Information
Member 13th Jun, 2010 22:15
Score: 0
User Since: 9th Nov 2008
Hi wr,
Thank you for For information, I bit the bullet and left it downloading, it took well over an hour to download all 148MBs but it got there in the end I left it downloading and went and watched some motor racing on TV.
Eccles
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Jun, 2010 22:21
Hi Tomow,
Thank you for tour suggestion, I had already downloaded the update when I saw your reply, but as I have still to do the update on my back up computer I'll give your method a try.
I did try a Copy and Paste of the exe. file to my other computer but got "Windows doesn't know what programme opens this file" or similar so that didn't work, i'll have another try later.
Eccles
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Jun, 2010 07:22
Hi Timow,
I used the link you gave me it was a little faster, part of the slowness in this case is that I was downloading it onto my backup computer which is considerably slower than my main one.
The transfer speed floated between 29.2 and 32.5 KB/s
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: conflicting Information
Member 14th Jun, 2010 09:17
Hi,

It does seem that the oOo build-in updater does in fact not deliver the latest update. However, version 3.2.0 is insecure, and it is highly recommended that you install the patch we offer. If you want to know why the oOo updater isn't keeping you up to date, I suggest you contact Oracle.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TiMow RE: conflicting Information
Dedicated Contributor 14th Jun, 2010 09:17
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
I think that's just how it is with OOo - its one of the longest update procedures that I have to make.

When the insecurity was first reported, only English_US was available as an update - which I duly installed.

A few days later, when English_UK became available, I went through the download/install procedure for this, only to find it wouldn't over-install, and reported that I already had OOo installed.

Started to uninstall US version, but this seemed to take even longer than installation - so I cancelled this process.

Am I really bothered about any small differences between the two? - probably not. Will wait for the next update to rectify.

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 17th Jun, 2010 23:19
Well my previous problem is sorted out thank you all, but now I am getting more conflicting information, after a scan I was told that my Sun Java JRE 1.6 x/6.x needs updating, I clicked on the link and downloaded it, after a false start where an error occurred the update was installed according to a pop up from Java.
But my Secunia is still telling me it needs updating.
Who do I believe>
Eccles
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: conflicting Information
Handling Contributor 17th Jun, 2010 23:28
Score: 11865
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
FINDING A VULNERABILITY FILE PATH
=================================

To locate the exact file that the Secunia PSI has detected, use or switch to the ADVANCED interface, then :

1 Click on the + sign of the programme to "expand' it.
2 Click on Technical Details in the Toolbox to see the installation path of the detected file. (Copy (CTRL+C) & paste (CTRL+V) the Installation Path of the file back to the Forum if U are unsure what to do next.

Revision 2

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 18th Jun, 2010 07:06
Last edited on 18th Jun, 2010 07:07
I shouldn't need to do that Maurice, earlier today I went to the Jave Website and tried to download the update from there, first I clicked on their "Have I got Java" button, the scan told me I have the correct version for my computer, so next I teird an update and got a message, " you already have this on your computer, Do you want to overwrire it?"
so I did, Secunia still insists I am an update short.
Weird things these computers.
Eccles
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wr RE: conflicting Information
Contributor 18th Jun, 2010 07:36
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
System Score: 100%
@Eccles

Why would you go to Java(tm) & overwrite a update with a update that's already there? As Maurice Joyce has already pointed out the problem isn't a update but where is the PSI finding the vulnerability? Until you do as Maurice suggests
no one will be able to magically figure out where it is.
Either you're second guessing the 'system' or not seeing the
forest because of the trees.

Suggest you take the solid advice you asked for so your problem(s) can be dealt with.

Regards, wr

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 31.3.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 21st Jun, 2010 00:15
Hi Maurice, I tried to follow your advice but couldn't see the + sign anywhere, but I did find a list of needed updates just at the time a pop up appeared on my monitor to say that two of these had been automatically installed, I use auto updates where ever possible.
I did a Secunia scan which told me that ALL the new ly installed updates were urgently needed.
At this point I gave up and as soon as I have posted this reply Secunia is coming off my computer, there is something seriously wrong here and I don't have the knowledge time or patience to try and install updates that my computer and the makers tell me I already have and therefore don't need.
Thank you for your efforts in trying to help, they are very much appreciated, unlike the other idiot who complained about about my efforts following my first reading of your reply.
For his information I would like to point out that I am a novice with computers as HE ONCE WAS ALSO ONCE, I have other areas of skill and expertise that he won't have.
don't you feel sorry for those tiny little minds all alone in those great big empty heads.
Eccles

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: conflicting Information
Handling Contributor 21st Jun, 2010 00:23
Score: 11865
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Sorry U feel the need to leave Secunia being a long time user.

I am sure we can sort out your issues in a manner U will understand without too much effort.

If U are still there please just list the programmes that concern U - I will send U easy to understand instructions to fix them.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+