Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PROGRAM STUCK IN LOOP ON FULL SCAN

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
OSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
gmnelson PROGRAM STUCK IN LOOP ON FULL SCAN
Member 15th Jun, 2010 00:59
Ranking: -4
User Since: 17th Oct, 2009
System Score: N/A
when trying to use OSI scanner program goes into loop when it gets to c:\users\<adminusername>\Co...xxx , six entries show in results, ¨windows vista sp2, IE8, WMP11, Adobe flash player (NPAPI & activeX), and java JRE¨ all with green checks. my default browser is firefox 3.6.3 and have available IE8, GoogleChrome 5.0.375.70 and firefox 3.6.3 portable. I have divided my hard drive into system/program/and data partitions, the only programs on the system(C:\) drive being the original set and a few that won´t allow changes.
help!!! my PSI scanner is also dead.
ACER EXTENSA 5230 w/3GB MEM VISTA HOME BASIC SP2 MCAFEE INTERNES SECURITY SUITE AD-AWARE FREE(w/real time scanner inactivated) SPYBOT SEARCH AND DESTROY MALWAREBYTES SUPER ANTI SPYWARE
normal internet connection via WiFi to linksys WAG320N modem/router but have also tried direct gigabit ethernet connection.

thedillpickl RE: PROGRAM STUCK IN LOOP ON FULL SCAN
Contributor 15th Jun, 2010 05:09
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Hi gmnelson;

Sorry I do not have a direct answer for the problem with OSI. If someone else doesn't reply, Secunia will most likely pick this up in the morning (their time).

Is PSI also in a 'loop'? If not, what are the symptoms? Also what version PSI are you running?

Regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: PROGRAM STUCK IN LOOP ON FULL SCAN
Member 15th Jun, 2010 08:40
Hi,

Please ensure you have the latest version of Java installed. Once you've checked this, follow this procedure:
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/plugin_cache....

Then restart your browser, and try again.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
gmnelson RE: PROGRAM STUCK IN LOOP ON FULL SCAN
Member 15th Jun, 2010 19:40
Score: -4
User Since: 17th Oct 2009
OSI problem not fixed--updated java JRE from 6 update 19 to 6.0.200.2, and cleared cache--did not help, still hangs and goes into a loop on first user. short scan completes to end.

Problem with PSI is similar to closed thread 4298 where I placed a comment before trying OSI. I have latest version of PSI (1.5.0.2) and have tried suggestions in that thread & FAQs. PSI scan hangs at step 3 / 5% complete with steps 1/2/6 green checked, at some point the program thinks it finished a scan, it lists 8 patched programs and is detecting program changes, but NO browsers are listed of the 4 installed (IE8, Chrome, FF, and FF-portable). PSI used to work a few months ago until i had a problem with BSOD crashes and had to wipe C & D drives (system & programs) and start from scratch, I did not try to re-install PSI until a couple of weeks ago and it has not worked since.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 15th Jun, 2010 21:11
Hi gmnelson;

When you say "...start from scratch..." was this a fresh install of Vista or did it save a 'copy' of the original in Windows.old? I ask because I don't run Vista and am not sure how it handles this.

There was a similar case for a Win7 user: http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/299... Long thread, but might be worth a look if scan is hanging on a file it can't read.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 15th Jun, 2010 21:24
More research;

As the problem seems to have appeared after reinstalling Vista, some settings may have been 'reset' to original. Wr has a good list to check for PSI (not sure if applicable to OSI) looping problem. http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/312...

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
gmnelson RE: PROGRAM STUCK IN LOOP ON FULL SCAN
Member 17th Jun, 2010 23:16
Score: -4
User Since: 17th Oct 2009
for PSI problem

1. ´start from scratch´ is erase C: and D: (system and program) partitions then reloading factory image supplied instead of install disk, then rebuild users and update ´properties´ pointers to E:(data) drive, download and install all MS updates, and reinstall programs and driver updates. this can take a couple of days. and no I do not have a ´windows.old´ folder.

2. after revising suggested threads I did the following:
A. to avoid possible conflict with my profile (I have changed DSL modem/router) I completely uninstalled PSI, reinstalled PSI and let it run as <unregistered user> ran for over 12 hours without finishing.
B. ran a 1 hour scan in debug mode and normal A/V config. NOTE: this scan was apparantly too short as there were no entries between load up dialog thru´generating results´ and the ¨detach <drives> and shut down dialog, when I killed program.
C. I then ran a 3 1/2 hour scan after shutting down firewall and active A/V scan, 1h 23min after ´generating results´entries start for connection to secunia, then mixed in are entries ´INFO: find first file failed in ...

[06/16 15:01:33.138] GET /psi_api/1502/?type=agent_check&agent_version=1.5. 0.2&tz=-7200&fm=0x00000000&uid=UwRJppCqiM49e6f549a 7c902e849e412f3eb97f61c2ef4bcf8&ui=agent&langroup= WORKGROUP&host=MIGUELNELSON1

[06/16 15:01:33.708] INFO: FindFirstFile failed in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Adobe\Acrobat\9.0\Replicate\Security\": El sistema no puede encontrar la ruta especificada.

[06/16 15:01:33.886] Checking in with server (psi.secunia.com)
[06/16 15:01:33.931] Connecting to psi.secunia.com:443

as you can see <\application data\> is nested 12 levels deep and as far as I could look (5 levels) each one contains the same files/folders/pointers, windows explorer tends to freeze when trying to open the listing and gets worse with each level opened. this is probably the the basic problem which causes PSI to error out due to excessive file name string length.
I checked an image file I made at the end of my basic install before loading external programs and the situation already exists at this point, so it appears to be a basic failing. Since this is a hidden system file that is mostly pointers that won´t allow changes I don´t know how to correct this problem or where it is truly located on the disk.

I have emailed a copy of the debug files to secunia support.

any help or suggestions out there?
and if my problem is that basic in my system why did ver 1.5.0.0 work prior to my crash/reload in feb.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: PROGRAM STUCK IN LOOP ON FULL SCAN
Member 18th Jun, 2010 10:20
Hi,

This problem seems to match a known bug for Vista/Win7 systems. I have forwarded the logs you submitted and all other relevant information to our developers.

thank you for helping.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability