Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Open office wiped out my pps availability

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as resolved.
This user no longer exists Open office wiped out my pps availability
Member 16th Jun, 2010 01:02
Ranking: 8
User Since: 1st Jan, 1970
System Score: N/A
Secunia warned me that Open office needed to be reinstalled. I reinstalled it and now I can't open pps. I've installed Microsoft Office Power Point viewer 2007, but it isn't working. I've re-installed it twice but it still does not work.

I do not have Microsoft Office on my computer.

Can anyone help me with this? thank you very much.

jitterbug

Post "RE: Open office wiped out my pps availability" has been selected as an answer.
thedillpickl RE: Open office wiped out my pps availability
Contributor 16th Jun, 2010 06:33
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 16th Jun, 2010 06:35
Hi jitterbug;

Not sure why you lost/never had the ability to play Power Point. Here's the link to MS site for the free PP Viewer, is this where you downloaded from? http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/powerpoint-help/... I have it on two machines with little trouble on either. Of course, you do not need to have MS Office installed to run PP Viewer as it is a stand alone product.

OO Impress should open .pps files, is this the presentation software you're having problems with or MS PPV or both?

One last thought is, have you powered down the computer and rebooted? Sometimes that will fix Windows little quirks that MS says do not exist.

Regard;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+1
This user no longer exists RE: Open office wiped out my pps availability
Member 16th Jun, 2010 14:42
Hi Fred.

I turn off my computer and unplug it from the wall every night and it has not made any difference. I have a folder full of e-mail Power Point slide shows, and suddenly none of them work. The message I get is: "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options Control Panel".

In addition to re-installing the free power point viewer from Microsoft 3 times I added PPS to the list in the Folder Options Control Panel, but nothing seems to make any difference.

Open Office is supposed to have it's own 'viewer', but I am overwhelmed with Open Office and don't know how to use it. I'd love to be able to create my own greeting cards from my art work, but I can't get anywhere with Open Office. But that's another story.

My pps no longer works and I can't figure out why.

Thanks. jitterbug.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Jun, 2010 15:12
Hi,

One thing you could try, is right-clicking the file in question, and changing the "Opens with" program. This should be set to PPV if that's what you want to use, or OpenOffice presentation if you want to use the oOo functionality.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Open office wiped out my pps availability
Expert Contributor 16th Jun, 2010 15:31
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 16th Jun, 2010 15:39
Hi jitterbug ,

I have the same set up as yourself and Fred . I find PPT Viewer much easier to deal with for Email than Open Office ; but you should learn how to use OOo for emails - I'm sure Fred will give you good advice there .

Here is a starter link for "How to use OOo" , maybe you will get/find help with your artwork production :-

http://www.openoffice.org/

I use Gmail in my Firefox browser and set the association of .pps files to PPTViewer much as Emil suggests (I get a pop-up box asking me to choose which programme I want to open the .pps file and I have to browse to the PPTViewer folder and select it) ; I also set the association in Firefox ->Tools menu -> options -> Applications

If you post here which Email client/system** and which browsers you use , then I'm sure Fred will get you set up , when he next has a chance .

Hope this helps .

Anthony

PS:** obviously , do not post your actual email address here

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 16th Jun, 2010 15:42
Hello Emil and Anthony.

For years I have watched power point videos and never had a problem so now I am all confused. I always get them from friends by email.

I've been fooling around with the folder options control panel, but to no avail. Nothing seems to work.

It is hard to reply to messages without looking at them, but if I 'go back' to read a message I will lose whatever I've written here.

oOo is a big mystery to me. I have NO idea how to navigate the program, nor to how to find what I might be looking for. Frustrating. Thanks anyway.

jitterbug.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 16th Jun, 2010 17:42

Hello again jitterbug ,

Don't worry , you/we'll get there soon .

You don't say which browser you are using , but if you open a second tab or window , you can load your own thread (or any other you wish to reply to) in the second tab and then move between your comments in the reply box (one tab) and the thread you want to reply to (second tab) ; you can also keep the thread you want to reply to open and write your "reply" in something like "Wordpad" and then copy and paste your text to the reply box of the thread .

You do not say which email system you use , but it should be easy enough to set the association of .pps file to your PowerPoint viewer if you tell us .

OOo is a mystery to me , same for M$ Office ; you need a friend who can sit beside you and show you the ropes in my experience ; but I am starting from the thick end of stupid and one finger typing - if you can't use the mouse I'm lost ;((

Fred will be back soon enough to add his wisdom :))

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 16th Jun, 2010 18:09
Anthony, I am using Notepad to type this response which I will then copy to the forum. Thank you for suggesting it.

I have IE and Firefox on my desktop but I prefer to use Firefox. My email is Outlook Express.

I click on a power point program that I want to view and an email window opens with the program attached.
I double click the attachment and a pop-up asks: "Do you want to open this file?". It gives the name and type of the file.

I click "Open" and I get the same old message that the file does not have a program for performing this action....create an association in the folder options control panel". That's where I am stuck.

jitterbug
Was this reply relevant?
+0
puget1 RE: Open office wiped out my pps availability
Member 16th Jun, 2010 18:22
Score: 0
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
Last edited on 16th Jun, 2010 18:51
Don' forget about your add-ons. "No Scripts and "Cookie control" I manage to overlook them almost all the time I have problems. One other thing, there use to be a compatibility pack from Microsoft, I can't remember whether it allowed for compatibility between the two systems or if it was for the MS office new Word doc 2007 as there was a major conflict between Ms Office and other older file types. of Word. This may carry over to Power Point

Bingo maybe this will help:http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?fa...

--
Windows Home Basic-Service Pack 2
Dell AMD Athlon 64x2 Processor 4000+ 2.10Ghz 2Memory 32 Bit

Firefox 27+ - MS Security Essentials+Spybot-Spyware Blaster-Malwarebytes-Emsisoft Malware- Sandboxie

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 16th Jun, 2010 19:29
Last edited on 16th Jun, 2010 19:34
Me again jitterbug ,

I have Outlook Express butnever use it plus it talks to me in French .

Googling your problem , there are several Forums , such as , this one :-

http://www.windowsbbs.com/microsoft-mail-outlook-o...

and they all refer to this site for the answer :-

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ppsopen.htm

which seems more complicated than I thought ; but the manual fix does seem to work . EDIT : the page opens for the XP method , it does contains a link in case you use Vista .

So if you have done this :-

http://www.ehow.com/how_5127536_open-pps-files-out...

and your message appears , try the fixes .

I have checked the sites and they are considered to be "good" , but there are no guarantees of course .

If you are still unsure wait and see if anyone else has something to add .

Hope this helps .

Anthony

PS : if you only have PPT viewer 2007 "freestanding" , then puget1's link may not help .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Contributor 16th Jun, 2010 20:29
on 16th Jun, 2010 18:09, wrote:

...I double click the attachment and a pop-up asks: "Do you want to open this file?". It gives the name and type of the file.

I click "Open" and I get the same old message that the file does not have a program for performing this action....create an association in the folder options control panel"...

Hi jitterbug;

Please reread E. Petersen's post at the top of this thread. If MS PPV is installed and working, you may need to tell Windows to open .pps files with PPV.

Do not worry about changing the file association in "Folder Options" as the method he discribes is easier and does the same thing.

Be sure to answer the message "Do you want to take this action..." with every time.

If this fails to work for you, we need to figure out why PPV is not working.

As far as OO is concerned, I only dabble, as I do not need much in the way of such programming. OO is friendly though, and unlike MS Office, the 'help' section is 'helpful'. Playing around (not doing serious work) is most effective.

Fred

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 17th Jun, 2010 02:21
Hello Emil Petersen:

Although I do not understand your suggestion, I tried right-clicking the file but it opened up to the browsers and 'choose program' none of which worked. How do I 'set' ppv?

I am ready to just forget it. This is too confusing and I thank you all very much anyway.

Sincerely, jitterbug
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Jun, 2010 02:25

Fred,

I have no idea if MS ppv is installed or working, and I do not know how to tell Windows to open .pps files with PPV.

Also, there is no way to answer the message "Do you want to take this action" other than to click okay. that is the only option.

Thank you anyway.

Sincerely, jitterbug
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Jun, 2010 02:27
Hi. I have windows xp. Thanks.

jitterbug
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 17th Jun, 2010 04:38
Last edited on 17th Jun, 2010 04:40
Hi jitterbug;

Do not become frustrated, things that are worthwhile take effort. I will be happy to slow down and explain things more clearly. Sometimes I forget that others may not know everything. (Like I might know something, HA!)

The first thing we should do is make certain that you have Microsoft Power Point Viewer installed on your computer. Power Point Viewer (PPV for short) is a free program provided by Microsoft (MS for short) so that anyone can watch Power Point media (including slide shows).

Click on this link: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/powerpoint-help/... It will take you to the MS site to download PPV. Look for "If PowerPoint 2007 is not installed on the computer..." in the first part of the page. Click on "click here to download the free PowerPoint Viewer 2007..." to begin. Click on the download button to start the download.

This should ensure that you have a fresh copy of PPV installed. There may be other issues, but it is a place to start. Do not be worried if something doesn't work or if you do not understand. Simply post back here and explain what has happened, as best you can. If I need more info I will ask for the specific info that I need.

One step at a time works best in these circumstances. Please be patient and do not try to do too much, too fast. Remember, slow and steady wins the race!

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 17th Jun, 2010 15:12
Good Morning Fred:

I've tried every link suggested. Now the power point video opens with a blank page and then tries to open with a smaller page that says: 'ThunderbirdEML(default)' . When I click on 'Open", the page does not open, it just keeps re-presenting itself.

I don't know where Thunderbird came from. I've never heard of or noticed Thunderbird before, but now almost everything in 'My Documnets' is listed as Thunderbird documents. How do I change it back to whatever it was before?.

jitterbug
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Jun, 2010 15:21
Now almost everything in My Documents is listed as Thunderbird, and NOTHING opens. I can't believe this.

jitterbug
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Jun, 2010 16:52
I repaired the thunderbird problem by doing a Hewlett Packard 'system restore' . This restored my computer to the condition it was in a week ago, whichis the restore date I chose.

Now if only I can get my power point videos to work again.

jitterbug
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 17th Jun, 2010 19:17
Hi jitterbug;

Thunderbird is an e-mail client (reader) program produced by Mozilla. It is similar to MS Outlook. Have you or someone else installed the Firefox web browser recently (it's also produced by Mozilla)? It would be odd for Thunderbird to just 'show up' as Mozilla does not operate that way. They do not sneak their other programs in (know as bloatware) when you download the one you want. Do you use Firefox for a web browser?

> Please open the PSI program.
> If not already, run PSI in Advanced Mode.
> In the top right corner, is "SIMPLE" blue in color and "ADVANCED" black?
> If not, click on "ADVANCED".
> Click on the "Insecure" programs tab, what programs, if any, are listed?
> Next click on the "End-of-Life" tab, what programs, if any, are listed?
> Finally, click on the "Patched" programs tab, are Firefox, Thunderbird or Power Point Viewer listed?

You did the correct thing when going back to an earlier restore point. However, this will go smoother if you wait for instructions. I do realize that your slideshows are important to you. The files are still there, that's good. We just have to 'get' to them and then clean up any mess that was created.

I will be out the rest of today (noon here now). I will try to check for your reply tonight, but may be tomorrow before I can get on this.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 17th Jun, 2010 20:16
Hello.
I look at PSI all the time but I have never looked at the patched page and I am shocked at what I found there.

On the 'secure browsing' page I found that Adobe Reader 9.x is insecure, a category 5 security threat with no solution. Internet Explorer 8.x is insecure, a category 2 threat, with no solution. Mozilla Firefox 3.6.x in insecure, a category 2 threat, with no solution. But I found much more on the patched page:

Here is says that Adobe reader9.x is a category 4 secrity threat. (Why the discrepancy?).
Apple Quicktime is a category 4 security threat.
Capicom 2.x is a category 4 security threat.
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.x is a category 3 security threat
Microsoft . NET Framework 3.x is a category 2 security threat
Microsoft Data Access Componenet (MDAC) 2.x is a category 4 security threat
Microsoft Interactive Training 3.x is a category is a category 4 security threat
MSft. Internet Explorer 8.x is a category 4 security threat
Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 is a category 4 security threat
Microsoft Movie Maker 2.x is a category 4 secuirty threat
Microsoft Outlook Express 6 is a category 2 threat
Microsoft Picture it! 6.x is a category 4 security threat
Microsoft windows Media Player 6.x is a category 4 security threat
Microsoft windows media player 11.x is a category 4 security threat
Microsoft windows messenger 4.x is a category 3 security threat
Microsoft windows XP home Edition Service Pack 3 is a category 4 security threat
Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 4.x is a category 4 secruity threat
Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 6.x is a category 4 secruity threat
Mozilla Firefox 3.6.x is a category 4 secruity threat
OpenOffice.org 3.x is a category 3 security threat
Windows NetMeeting 3.x is a category 4 security threat
Sun Java JRS 11.6.x/ 6.x is a category 4 security threat (I thought I got rid of Java)

What am I supposed to do about all this? Since power point viewer 2007 doesn't work anyway, I am going to remove it. I never had it before and all my pps files worked fine.......until Secunia told me to reinstall Open Office.

I have mentioned that I use Firefox as my browser and have been using it for quite awhile now......a few years.

jitterbug
Was this reply relevant?
+0
UncleWalt RE: Open office wiped out my pps availability
Member 17th Jun, 2010 21:07
Score: -1
User Since: 7th Jul 2009
Yikes! I had same problem. I dumped Open Office from all my computers...too much trouble.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 17th Jun, 2010 21:15
Last edited on 17th Jun, 2010 21:18
Hi jitterbug ,

I will leave Fred to continue helping you when he get's back ; but put your mind at rest for now , what you see in "secure browsing" tab is correct but not a serious problem with regards to IE and Firefox . If Fred needs help , I can explain the Adobe Reader workaround required now , before a patch is available (probably at the end of this month) .Just try not to open/read a file with Adobe Reader that contains a flash image .

What you see in the "patched" tab is normal - the risk categories are what you would have if your programs were not patched . If you look at the top of the column with the coloured bars it says "patched threat" and there is a [?] at the right end - mouse over the question mark and read the full message . Rest assured all the programs are as secure as you can make them even if the words chosen are a bit confusing .

It will be so much easier for Fred to help if you do not change anything until Fred is back .

Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Contributor 17th Jun, 2010 21:36
Last edited on 17th Jun, 2010 21:44
Hi jitterbug;

I have a moment before I'm out the door.

Do not be alarmed at the "Patched" page. The listings there are programs that are OK. The "Patched Threat" column, with all the pretty colors, can be confusing the first time you look at it. Secunia is showing what the threat would be if those programs were not patched already, not their current state. If you hover your mouse pointer over the "?" to the right of where it says "Patched Threat" at the top of the column, a box will appear to explain this.

Adobe Reader (as far as I Know, with out looking) is still being worked on by Adobe, so no update is available yet. Others including myself have uninstalled Reader and have installed different .pdf (Adobe's document files) programs. If you're interested, I'll discuss this with you after we fix the current problem.

The insecure browser listing will come and go because hackers are always working to disrupt them. If you run more than one browser, you can use PSI to see which one is safest at the moment & use it for surfing. When PSI says "no solution" that means until the vendor has created a patch you have done all you can do to fix the problem. They are simply pointing out that a vulnerability exists and then you have to decide wither to continue or not.

I noticed that you say, "Sun Java JRS 11.6.x/ 6.x is a category 4 security threat (I thought I got rid of Java)". You should not get rid of Java, thing won't look right on web pages or the page may not even load.

You can uninstall PPV as you say it wasn't used before, I would suggest the Add/Remove program in "Control Panel" to do this.

I did not notice you telling us that FF (Firefox) is used, sorry. Also I take it OO was previously install but not used. That would mean that you were quite possibly using a 'plug in' for FF to watch the .pps files.

Would you please manually update FF, then check for a 'plug in' to watch .pps files. Sorry don't have time to look myself.

One last thing, this site explains .pps files usage: http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/pps Since you do not have MS Office and are uninstalling PPV, the only program listed to play the .pps is OO Impress. We can discuss this later if no plug in is found.

Fred

edit: Thanks Anthony, was still writing whilst you were posting.

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 18th Jun, 2010 00:01
Dear Fred and Anthony:

Firefox updates itself automatically. I have no idea how to use Open Office.

I just would like to know how I can play Microsoft Power Point Slide Shows. Maybe I can go back far enough so that Open Office would revert to its old self.

Thanks for your help.

jitterbug
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 18th Jun, 2010 06:25
on 16th Jun, 2010 18:09, wrote:
...I click on a power point program that I want to view and an email window opens with the program attached.
I double click the attachment and a pop-up asks: "Do you want to open this file?". It gives the name and type of the file.

I click "Open" and I get the same old message that the file does not have a program for performing this action....create an association in the folder options control panel". That's where I am stuck.

jitterbug

In my above post I did not check to see if my suggestions were valid. I was short on time and should have checked to see how FF updated and if your install was up to date (as you posted PSI info on installed programs). I also had no idea what plug ins were available to read .pps files (there are none, yet). I apologize for any confusion.

As you explain your problem in the above quote, you need a program to run Power Point Slideshow (.pps) files. The message you quote, tells us that Windows does not automatically know which program to use or does not find the one it thinks will work. To help Windows out, you would open "Control Panel", click on the "Folder Options" icon. In Folder Options, click on the "File Types" tab and scroll down until you see the .pps file listing, it will read " PPS Microsoft PowerPoint Slide Show", click on it so as that line is highlighted (turns blue). In the box towards the bottom marked "Details for PPS extension", on the line "Opens with:" does it list anything? If yes, click on the "Change..." button, this will open a window titled "Open With" if available, the first listings will be "Recommended Programs", these are programs that Windows knows will work with that file type. You may select a different program to use. If nothing is listed, click on "Change..." and a window opens wanting to know what you want to do, if you like Window can search the web for the appropriate program (MS PPV in this case) and download it for you.

Depending on wither you have deleted PPV & OO, you may see Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer or OpenOffice.org Impress or both. As I explained in an above link, according to this site http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/pps there are three programs that can play .pps files, MS PP 2010 (the full, pay for it version, usually part of Office) which can also create slideshows, MS PP Viewer which can only play them and OO Impress which is similar to the full version of PP in that it can create slideshows (and other presentations). If one of these are available you can select it to be associated with the .pps file. This should allow the file to play.

Please note: I have tried to allow OO Impress to open a .pps file by the above method and it did not work, OO created a file with "~lock" in front of the original filename. After switching back to MS PPV the slideshow wouldn't play. If this is what happened to you, I will try to post back with a fix to recover the .pps files. In the mean time, suggest using PPV as that is what .pps files were made to play on.

I understand that this is a lengthy thread, if you need clarification just ask.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+6
Member 18th Jun, 2010 09:01
on 17th Jun, 2010 20:16, wrote:

What am I supposed to do about all this? Since power point viewer 2007 doesn't work anyway, I am going to remove it. I never had it before and all my pps files worked fine.......until Secunia told me to reinstall Open Office.

I have mentioned that I use Firefox as my browser and have been using it for quite awhile now......a few years.

Hi,

The "Secure Browsing Tab", unlike any other tab, also includes information about vulnerabilities you have to way to remedy. Unlike most other applications (for Desktop users) the browser is routinely exposed to the internet, allowing Crackers and other bad guys "access" to your browser. Since executing an exploit usually requires "access" (eg. some to to communicate with) an application, browsers are at special risk. The secure browsing tab is there to help you access what sorts of risk you take when surfing.

Did you follow my suggestion from before? The issue could be simpler than appears. Please right-click a PowerPoint file, select Properties, click "Change" next to "Opens With", and select PowerPoint viewer. If PPV is not in the list, click the "Browse" button and navigate to the directory where the viewer was installed, selecting a main ".exe" file.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Jun, 2010 14:41
Fred, It worked!!

I have not deleted PPV nor OO and both of them are found in Folders Option channel you outlined. PPV is recommended (that doesn't work) and Open Office.org Impress is listed farther downt the list. I highlighted OO Impress, closed out and tried it and it worked. Genius. Thank you so much.

Also, In searching I found Microsoft Office in Program Files. It opens up to 2 folders: Office (3.74 MB, MSOWC.DLL, MSOWCF.DLL) , created August 23, 2003, and

Office 12 (28.8 MB, INTLDATE, OART.DLL, OARTCONV.DLL, PPCNV.DLL,....) created August 30, 2009.

I can't open them.

I evidently had Microsoft Office and deleted it (who is sorry now because I don't have the money to buy it).

Now, if only I could find an OO program that would allow me to make note cards from my art work. I need income.

Thank you so much.

jitterbug.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Jun, 2010 14:45
Hi Emil:

I did follow you suggestion from before, but I had trouble finding the file extension you suggest, and PPV does not work for me, but thank you very much for the suggestion.

jitterbug
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability