Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Accessing solutions to threats

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
cnfdavis Accessing solutions to threats
Member 16th Jun, 2010 17:49
Ranking: 0
User Since: 2nd Jun, 2010
System Score: N/A
I use PSI on two computers. The one using Windows XP works great. The one using Vista does not. I worked up until about a week ago. Now when I try to access a solution ub get the message "Unable to locate an appropriate web browser for the requested URL." I'm using Internet Explorer 8 and it works for everything else.

I need help.

Chuck

TiMow RE: Accessing solutions to threats
Dedicated Contributor 16th Jun, 2010 18:04
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Last edited on 16th Jun, 2010 18:43
Hi Chuck

See the following thread - it may help:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/452...

TiMow

EDIT: Although your problem is similar to the one in the thread link I've given above, the solution (from Secunia Official) relates to XP - sorry.
It still may be advisable to check your default browser settings, though - as that is suggested as the root of the problem.

EDIT 2: On re-assessment the XP default browser link may still be applicable, as this deals with settings (if applicable to Vista, too), on your PC, outside of IE.
I'm sure you're familiar with how to set IE as default, within IE, but this link applies:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/Change...

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
cnfdavis RE: Accessing solutions to threats
Member 16th Jun, 2010 23:02
Score: 0
User Since: 2nd Jun 2010
Thanks for your prompt reply. I checked my default browser and it indicated Internet Explorer 8. Just to be sure I checked it again and restarted my computer. Same problem. Can't access the URL.

Any other ideas?

Chuck
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 17th Jun, 2010 07:51
Last edited on 17th Jun, 2010 08:02
Hi Chuck

Just to confirm - did you check both places for default browser?
1) In IE > Tools > Internet Options > Programs tab; and
2) Set Program Access and Defaults (from Start menu or Add/Remove) > Custom >expand double chevron on right.

If you did, you may need to re-check security settings in IE (as detailed in FAQ link below):

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Did you make any changes (Firewall,or other security settings), or install any new software at about the time PSI stopped connecting to download links? OR Was it a case of working one day and not working the next?

Have you recently updated to a later version of PSI?

I can't really suggest much else - hopefully Secunia Official will pick this up and be able to offer more guidance.

TiMow

EDIT: One final thought: In "Set Program Access and Defaults", you could "check" (click) the top circle for default browser ("Use my current web browser"), and then make sure all check boxes on the right ("Enable access to this program") are ticked - for all browsers you may have installed. This is the setting I have (on XP) and then I set default browser from within the browser itself (Ff. for me, but would be IE for you).

--
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Member 17th Jun, 2010 16:07
tiMow,

I've tried all and still no luch. I tried intalling Firefox and that didn't work so I uninstalled that. I uninstalled PSI completely and downloaded again and installed - same problem. I'm about ready to scrap the whole thing.

I really appreciate your efforts.

Chuck
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 17th Jun, 2010 17:28
Chuck -
A final shot in the dark. (A bit of long-winded rambling and finger exercising - typing)

How closely does your download solution problem tie in (timing wise) with the recent flash updates (I'm assuming you've updated to the latest flash, in the last week or so).

The reason I ask (and there is no proof or logical reason for this) is as follows:

I have 3 installed browsers - Firefox (default, used daily), Chrome (used occasionally) and IE seldom/never used - reference purposes only).
All 3 have personalised home pages (iGoogle), with content only visible when "signed in" - which is permanently checked/ticked for every time I open them.

I updated flash about a week ago (or more), and only in the last day or so have had cause to open Chrome and IE (first time for both since flash update - I think) and in both cases I was signed out, and had to re-sign in.
Although I use Ff. daily, there had been no problems with my home page settings (since updating flash), until a couple of days ago, when I found I was also signed out.

Furthermore, previously, the personalisations for Chrome were slightly different from those for Ff. - theme picture background and at least one thing was only available with Ff. "Add Stuff" - couldn't find it under Chrome.

After the recent mysterious signing out, and then re-signing in, Chrome and Ff. are now identical, including the picture background and the one thing that I thought was unavailable under Chrome - none of this was of my doing.

The only action, where all browsers are effected, that I have carried out recently, is updating flash.

I think this is purely coincidental - just one of those inexplicable things that sometimes happens, but if there is a connection between your problem starting and updating flash then this is another avenue to explore.

[A bit late in the day now, but despite the forum showing you as a new member, I kind of got the idea that you were not new to using PSI - and my assumptions are based on that].

Without wanting to waste your time, or send you off on a wild goose chase/(turkey shoot), you could (as a last resort) consider running flash uninstall and re-install from a non-Adobe site. You can see link addresses in replies I've given on the following thread:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/452...

Even as I type this, it doesn't really make much logical sense - but changes have occurred to my browser home pages settings (which may or may not be flash related), and changes have similarly occurred to how you can (or can't) connect to download sites using PSI.

Finally I have read in the past, when "things", stop working as they should, that clearing out temporary files and Java cache, can sometimes help.

I'm sure you don't need me to tell you but if PSI has flagged something as Insecure, you can obviously connect directly to the vendor download site, without PSI doing it for you, in order to update to the latest secure version of whatever may be flagged.

[If you only became aware of your problem, because PSI was trying to get you to update flash, then disregard the above].

Apart from the link to the thread (with the similar problem) that I have already given above, I have read of the same problem at least one other time, but unfortunately was unable to find the relevant thread (and possible solution).

Regards and good luck - maybe someone else may be able to offer guidance.

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
This user no longer exists RE: Accessing solutions to threats
Member 18th Jun, 2010 09:39
Hi,

It may be advisable to reset your preferred browser as default, even if it is already set as such. This would cause appropriate settings to be re-applied, which could remedy the problem.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Jun, 2010 15:32
Emil,

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried it and it didn't help. I'm just going to get out of PSI and go directly to program sites.

Chuck
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Jun, 2010 15:34
Timow

Wow! Thanks for all the info. My problem still exists. I've decided to give up go directly to the vendor's site for the updates and forget PSI.

Chuck
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 18th Jun, 2010 17:20
Hi Chuck

If the only problem you have with PSI, is that it it can't connect directly to the vendor sites (through "Download Solution), then I would still maintain it's use for scanning your PC for vulnerabilities, and, as you "say" just connect directly to the vendor download site when a problem is flagged (which is what many people do anyway).

I'm sure that's what you meant.

I would still check out the forum when you can, as you're not the first, and won't be the last to have this problem. There is a solution out there somewhere.

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+