Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: pep up the computer

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as locked.
garybp pep up the computer
Member 18th Jun, 2010 21:09
Ranking: 0
User Since: 1st Jun, 2010
System Score: N/A
Why is the computer so slow and seems like its dragging.

Maurice Joyce RE: pep up the computer
Handling Contributor 19th Jun, 2010 00:10
Score: 11865
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
What are the specifications of your PC? Without that doubtful anyone will know the answer.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
garybp RE: pep up the computer
Member 19th Jun, 2010 08:29
Score: 0
User Since: 1st Jun 2010
from what i know: windows xp
firefox 3.6
intel R pentium (r) M
1.86 GHZ, 0.99 GB of RAM
hope that was some help, thank you.
Gary
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: pep up the computer
Expert Contributor 19th Jun, 2010 09:37
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
If you were using Vista/Windows7 Operating System; you'd be able to use up to a 4GB memory stick and switch on the Readyboost feature; but it's not included in XP. You may think about installing more memory module. I had a significant improvement in performance with Vista.
Is XP up to date(?)....SP3, I seem to remember....someone else will confirm that no doubt.
Do you regularly use a Cleaner, Registry Scan, and Defrag ?
Have you ever tried using Revouninstaller....Junk file cleaner, and Evidence Remover?
Could you trim down the amount of programs you're running ?
Have you run CHKDSK recently? Memory Diagnostics Tool for Windows ?
You might think of switching or adding a faster browser.
There's tweaks you could perform on Windows Services.....but that's possibly enough suggestions for now ? Regards

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Handling Contributor 19th Jun, 2010 09:41
Gary,
Thank U. That helps a bit. To give U a meaningful answer could take me a while. I will try to complete it over the weekend.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Handling Contributor 20th Jun, 2010 19:20
Gary,
I do not know your PC skills therefore I will keep my advice at basic level. Sorry about the length of the post but it will take U less time to read it than it did me producing it!

U appear to be a little unsure about the make up of your PC.

To find out more all U need to do this:
Click START>RIGHT click on MY COMPUTER - the details are displayed.

The main reasons why PC's sometimes appear slow are:

1. The physical build of the PC where the specifications are fairly low. This to some extent can be improved by spending money!
2. To many programmes running in the Start Menu & background.These can be improved.
3.A lack of general maintenance. Using the tools provided by Windows can improve this.
4. Malware (in all its forms) being present on the PC.
5. Internet speed v Windows/PC limitations.

I will deal with them in turn.

PHYSICAL BUILD.
The information U have given it leads me to think U are using a laptop that is fairly old (2003-2005).

Little U can do on that score except perhaps considering upgrading with more RAM if & I repeat if the CPU will support it. Windows OS 32 Bit versions will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB however much U have installed. The nearer U get to the maximum the better.

The easiest way to determine what is possible with a RAM upgrade is to click here:
http://www.crucial.com/

Follow the prompts it will give U all the information U need to know about a your system & the opportunity to buy RAM online. There is a remote possibility that it is unable to determine all the facts in which case U will see the scan result gives an ID number. YOU SHOULD USE THAT ID NUMBER IN ANY PHONE CALL OR EMAIL COMMUNICATION WITH CRUCIAL. DO NOT PURCHASE RAM UNLESS THEY ENDORSE IT IS FIT FOR YOUR NEEDS. This warning applies to any other seller U may care to use.

RUNNING PROGRAMMES.
I have no idea what programmes U are running but with only 1GB of RAM there is little left after that used by Windows & the integrated graphic card. On that basis I will, for once, suggest U download a programme called CCleaner from here
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Once the programme is opened click on the TOOLS section then SYSTEM RESTORE. Highlight all the restore points listed except the last one & click REMOVE.

Now click on the STARTUP tab.

U have a choice to DISABLE background tasks from running at Start up by highlighting any items & selecting DISABLE.

I would strongly advise U switch off all updaters for example SunJavaUpdateSched which belongs to JAVA.

Others,if U see them, include ISUSPM & CCleaner. The items are fairly easy to understand but if U are unsure about the odd one or two they are best left.

More accurate updating of vulnerabilities is achieved by using PSI & registering your programmes here so the actual vendor informs U an update is available:
http://www.changedetection.com/

Next, select the UNINSTALL tab.

This is where U can make the most gains. Look at the list. Do U really use all the programmes installed?
Some ideas:
Do U use Java? If not uninstall it - if later it is found to be a mistake just reinstall it from here:
http://www.java.com/en/

What about updaters? FileHippo/Tech Tracker & the like - not required if U opt for Change Detection - just remove them.

The very marginal gains, if any, from third party "freebies". Revo Uninstaller/Cleaners (Windows has its own + CCleaner) & like programmes should be given serious thought on removal. In the main they can be collectively called DuplicateWare.

Adobe Reader is pure bloatware - what about a lighter one that does the same job? See details here:
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/417...

Have U opted for overkill with security. If U use PSI & Windows update regularly the security battle is almost won. U just need a firewall/anti virus & perhaps a double checker like Malwarebytes.

Give this aspect careful thought - there are many speed gains by dropping off DuplicateWare "freebies".

MAINTENANCE

Now click the CLEANER section.

My advice(on the assumption that there are NO LONG TERM issues with stability of your PC) is to tick every item on the list available for cleaning EXCEPT
Empty Recycle Bin
Wipe Free Space

U will receive a warning when ticking some of the advanced options - click OK - such advice is only there for tourists!
Keep analysing & cleaning until U get a full run which states there is nothing else to clear.

Now reboot. Reopen CCleaner - UNTICK all the ADVANCED options BUT THIS TIME tick EMPTY RECYCLE BIN. Run the cleaner again. Job Done.

Close CCleaner.

There are other tools embedded in Windows that should be used to maintain your PC:
Disk De fragmentation.
Scan Disk.
General Clean Up.

They are easy to use but if unsure how let me know.

If U opt to retain Java clearing out the cache & lowering the cache allocation will speed up your browser. Again let me know if unsure how to achieve this.

MALWARE

Unlikely to be an issue if your system is fully patched & U have working protection up to date.

U will note I have made no recommendations on using alleged Registry Cleaners or so called Optimisers. That is entirely a matter for U. If U live within 25 miles of Salisbury UK please use them. I already have a steady income to subsidise my pension from fixing PC's crippled by them!!

INTERNET SPEED V WINDOWS/PC LIMITATIONS

I have given U just a few hints on what MAY improve your PC performance.

Many good programmes are now heavily involved with internet access. That speed is governed by your ISP so a very fast PC will be somewhat subdued by that limitation.

The same can be reversed. A "budget" priced PC will not really benefit from fast internet speeds although it could appear faster. The PC could benefit if tweaked safely as outlined above.

Hopefully some of the tips are useful. If U need more help just ask.

On a lighter note, your real solution (and anyone else for that matter) is to invest in a liquid cooled Voodoo PC which retails for about $12,000. Now emigrate with that machine to South Korea who achieve remarkable Up & Download speeds!!!!

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 20th Jun, 2010 20:30
Thank you my friend. I think you hit the nail with a sledge hammer. Your time frame is right. I'm also running : CC cleaner; Malware; AVG. I've been to start ,run. msconfig, and tried to limit the start menu, i don't remember which programs that are needed for start up. I've done disk clean up and disc defrag. Run CCcleaner at shut down. AVG scans daily. windows is updated. I guess i have 3 options. Max the ram, limit my start up options ( with your knowledge and advice) and the biggie, get model suited for 2010. You are very knowledgeable. Talk to you soon. Gona run the crucial download and see the results.
Gary
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Jun, 2010 20:52
* Maximum Memory Capacity: 2048MB
* Currently Installed Memory: 1GB
* Available Memory Slots: 0
* Total Memory Slots: 2
* Dual Channel Support: Yes
* CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
* CPU Family: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.86GHz Model 13, Stepping 8
* CPU Speed: 782 MHz
* Although the memory can be installed one module at a time, the best performance comes from using matched pairs of modules.

Thats the scan. Where do i find the part that says it will improve my system?
I forgot where to find if i have 32 or 64 bit operating system. Yes i could have said os but you may think i know what i'm doing and don't. Happy Father's day if it applies.
Gary
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 20th Jun, 2010 21:46
Gary,
What it is saying is U have only 2 slots with only 2GB max available. That is not uncommon.

U are definitely running a 32 Bit system.

Clearly U currently have 2x512MB sticks of RAM installed using both slots.

To upgrade U will need to purchase 2x1GB sticks & replace the old ones.

I am sure U have realised that your current PC will not support Vista or Windows 7 therefore on the 8th April 2014 when all support ends for XP your PC is a non runner.

As U rightly indicate is it time to install more RAM which at best is still somewhat limited or look for something else that will support Windows 7.

Whenever that time comes please give serious thought to moving to 64 Bit. There are many advantages not least the usable RAM available as this list shows:

Memory upgrades for Windows 7 Editions

Windows 7 has a minimum memory requirement of 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit). The maximum amount of memory depends on the edition used:
Edition of Windows 7 Maximum memory
Starter (32-bit or 64-bit) 2 GB
Any 32-bit version of 7 4 GB (approximately 3.3 GB available for use)
Home Basic 64-bit 8 GB
Home Premium 64-bit 16 GB
Enterprise 64-bit 192 GB
Business 64-bit 192 GB
Ultimate 64-bit 192 GB

Memory upgrades for Windows Vista Editions

Windows Vista comes in a variety of editions. All versions of Vista have a minimum memory requirement of 512 MB (1 GB to take advantage of certain premium features, such as Aero graphics). The maximum amount of memory depends on the edition used:

Edition of Windows Vista Maximum addressable memory
Starter (32-bit) 1 GB
Any 32-bit version of Vista 4 GB (approximately 3.3 GB available for use)
Home Basic 64-bit 8 GB
Home Premium 64-bit 16 GB
Business 64-bit 128 GB
Ultimate 64-bit 128 GB

Revision 1

Leave this thread open if U need more help.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 21st Jun, 2010 00:43
where is it more cost effective, upgrade or new, in 4 years i would need to go new because of the xp support. I'm getting used to the loading and then to open firefox, i just up and do something else. My concern is cost. I'm suppose to have 3 PSI for internet speed, didn't work. Its like going from high speed to dial up. Any suggestions on a new one would be appreciated. Take care.
Gary
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 21st Jun, 2010 01:29
Gary,
A bit lost. Not sure what U mean by 3 PSI. Do U mean your current internet speed is 3MB's?

The whole problem with internet speeds is governed by numerous factors.

1. How your PC is connected to the "outside world". U could be using an old modem & USB lead which will slow things down. Much better to use a secure router with an ethernet connection.
2. The line that services your residence - it could be a telephone line or cable or fibre optic.
3. If a telephone cable then the length of that cable to the nearest LLU cabinet regulates the speed.
4. What the policy is with your ISP regarding "throttling" - many ISP's in the UK reduce speeds during peak hours to maintain bandwidth.
5. As always money - some companies cap speeds in line with your service contract.

Before making any decisions on ISP's it is worth checking the max speed offered to your residence by a land (telephone)line. Here is a link to use in the UK:

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProd...

Again in the UK Virgin offer a 50 MB package but is expensive and reliant on your having their own cable near to your residence.

Full fibre optic can achieve 100MB. This is slowly being rolled out across the UK. U will have been informed if this facility is available to U - they will be after your money!!!!!

This is an excellent source of information on broadband in the UK & includes a Broadband & Ping tester that can be used to see if U are getting value for money from your ISP set against the max speed the line is capable of:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/search/package/basic...

Regarding your PC - not sure I can help with cost effectiveness. It really is a balance of the upgrade cost v the 2014 cut off date v a new PC.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+3

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+