Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Firefox error

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
tfkelly46 Firefox error
Member 21st Jun, 2010 22:47
Ranking: 0
User Since: 21st Jun, 2010
System Score: N/A
When I try to click the blue arrow to download a solution to the threats found on my computer I get an error the path to Firefox in the registry is not safe, the solution could not be downloaded. Firefox is safe so why is secunia PSI detecting it as unsafe and how can I fix this problem?

PS. The threats were 3 outdated programs that I could not download the patch for each so I went to the web site and updated them manually and now I need to run another scan to see if it worked or not, all three programs are adobe products.

--
tkelly46

Vista Home Basic
Service PAC 2
e Machine model ET1810
Intel (R) Celeron (R) CPU 420 @ 1.60GHz 1.60GHz
2.00 GB
32 bit operating system

mogs RE: Firefox error
Expert Contributor 21st Jun, 2010 23:07
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Generally, when you update programs, older files/versions are often left behind. psi continues to detect them even if they are in the Recycle bin.
In order that you can access the most information to help you, it is best to use psi with the Advanced interface...see top right of the psi panel/interface.
If you then click on the +sign alongside an entry/insecurity, it will expand to reveal the file path, and that in turn can be confirmed by clicking on Tech Details.
If you are uncertain how to proceed, post that info, together with details of your OS etc.,
There are many threads already on the forum concerning Mozilla and Adobe. If you go to the Program section and fill in the Vendor and program fields/boxes....you'll be able to read thro the current threads concerning.
Hope this helps.....regards

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
tfkelly46 RE: Firefox error
Member 22nd Jun, 2010 06:55
Score: 0
User Since: 21st Jun 2010
I cannot get Secunia PSI to work I get errors even using the advanced feature, nothing works when I click on any of the solutions to fix the problem with Adobe products, they are all updated but not detected by Secunia What is wrong? I am about to give up and uninstall Secunia.

--
tkelly46

Vista Home Basic
Service PAC 2
e Machine model ET1810
2.00 GB
32 bit operating system
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 22nd Jun, 2010 07:13
Although FF may be your default browser...Secunia psi needs IE configured to work properly. http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
Please see the FAQ's at the above link...particularly note 3.
Please check thro' them. Regards

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
wr RE: Firefox error
Contributor 22nd Jun, 2010 07:18
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
Last edited on 22nd Jun, 2010 07:21
Hi tkelly46

Maybe a connection problem? Try the following.

You may want to check your security settings for IE.
These must be exactly as shown for the PSI to
connect properly. The following is from the PSI FAQ:

1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. Go to Tools>Internet Options>Security tab.
3. Select the Internet zone and click on the Custom Level button.
4. In Security Settings, go to the Scripting>Active Scripting option.
5. Make sure that Active Scripting is Enabled (rather than Disabled or Prompted).
6. Press OK then Yes.
7. Back in the Security tab, select the Trusted sites zone and click on the Sites button.
8. Look at the bottom of this window, and uncheck the field labeled "Require Server Verification (https) for all site zones".
9. Type in the following and press the Add button to add them to the Trusted Sites list:
http://*.secunia.com
https://*.secunia.com
10. Press Close, then OK.

Hope this helps.

Regards, wr

EDIT: Sorry mogs, but at least we're thinking along the
same line. Do carry on-I'm off to beddybye.

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 22nd Jun, 2010 07:47
No probs nor conflicts wr !!! Sweet dreams !

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Firefox error
Handling Contributor 22nd Jun, 2010 09:16
Score: 11543
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
@tfkelly46
I hope U do not give up. Look here: http://secunia.com/community/forum/statistics/

U will note that Adobe products are a continual point of discussion & this will continue until their support staff get their act together.

I note U are a fairly new user. Have U set up PSI correctly to get maximum benefit? Does this help?

SETTING UP PSI IN THE ADVANCED MODE
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1. Open PSI by clicking the System tray icon or right click the icon & select Reload Interface.

2.Select the OVERVIEW tab.

3. In the top right corner U will see INTERFACE MODE - SIMPLE/ADVANCED. To be in the advanced mode the word SIMPLE should be blue and advanced black.

4. If advanced is blue click it. A message about advanced users may appear - ignore it - using the advanced mode is easy.

SETTING UP PSI FOR MAXIMUM ASSISTANCE
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1. Click on the SETTINGS tab.

2. The top box should be empty & the two remaining boxes ticked.

3. Right at the bottom is a facility to create Global Ignore Rules. By default PSI scans & publishes the results on all the hard drives of a PC. OEM partition (reinstallation) drives (normally drive D),second internal or external drives SOLELY used to backup your work & C:\Windows\i386 which can be ignored as they have no exposure. To save confusion in the future (by way of "false positives") U may consider it a good idea to create some Global rules now.

4. A separate Ignore Rule is required for each drive which can be set up as follows:

a.Click on CREATE IGNORE RULE

b.In the RULE NAME BOX insert something like MY BACKUP DRIVE (MY PARTITION DRIVE)

c.In the RULE BOX type D:\(or the drive letter U wish to ignore) - For folder i386 use C:\Windows\i386.

d.Click SAVE IGNORE RULE>CLOSE

All drives will continue to be scanned by default but the result from the ignored list will not be published.

This thread has an article by @Anthony Wells that may also be of help in understanding the advanced mode:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/375...

If a new Forum Member U might find these interesting reading as well:

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Revision 5

If U still have issues once this is done just post the PATHS to the problems.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 23rd Jun, 2010 07:33
PSI will not open Firefox or internet explorer 8, I get an error that the path in the registry is insecure and it will not open either program but it is connecting to the PSI server, how can I fix this problem? it was suggested that I post the path but I don't know how.

--
tkelly46

Vista Home Basic
Service PAC 2
e Machine model ET1810
2.00 GB
32 bit operating system
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Firefox error
Handling Contributor 23rd Jun, 2010 08:52
Score: 11543
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
FINDING A VULNERABILITY FILE PATH
=================================

To locate the exact file that the Secunia PSI has detected, use or switch to the ADVANCED interface, then :

1 Click on the + sign of the programme to "expand' it.
2 Click on Technical Details in the Toolbox to see the installation path of the detected file. (Copy (CTRL+C) & paste (CTRL+V) the Installation Path of the file back to the Forum if U are unsure what to do next.

Revision 2

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 23rd Jun, 2010 12:51
Here is the installation path for internet explorer 8: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe and here is the path for Firefox: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe how does this explain why PSI won't open them?

--
tkelly46

Vista Home Basic
Service PAC 2
e Machine model ET1810
2.00 GB
32 bit operating system
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 24th Jun, 2010 09:22
Morning tkelly46 !

We seem to be at cross purposes here, or I'm confused....possibly 6 of one and half a dozen of the other !
Could you please re-cap on your present situation by answering the following questions :-

Are you now in fact using psi with the Advanced interface ?
Under what tabs are the programs showing, that concern you ?
Is FF and IE8 in the Secure Browsing tab ?

Regards

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
puget1 RE: Firefox error
Member 24th Jun, 2010 16:20
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
Last edited on 24th Jun, 2010 16:28
He needs to uninstall Firefox and restart. He then needs to go into the registry and check to see that all files of Firefox have been removed . Like it has been stated old files are often left behind. Upon clearing out all files check and verify that program files no longer exist either. Now he his ready for a fresh install of Firefox making sure to obtain from Firefox directly . Had similar problem and it was the only way to clear Don't forget to rescan with psi. If he was beta testing, Firefox often left the previous version so that you could go to the stable version if there was a real problem.

It is not unlikely that his add-ons are blocking his efforts to correct the problem. No scripts and other privacy control often block global rules.

--
Windows Home Basic-Service Pack 2
Dell AMD Athlon 64x2 Processor 4000+ 2.10Ghz 2Memory 32 Bit

Firefox 27+ - MS Security Essentials+Spybot-Spyware Blaster-Malwarebytes-Emsisoft Malware- Sandboxie

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 25th Jun, 2010 12:24
When I click the blue buttons to download solutions in Firefox and Internet explorer 8 I get an error that the path in the registry is insecure so I updated the programs manually and now they are patched and secure but both Firefox and Internet explorer 8 are insecure and there is no solutions for them they need security updates from Microsoft and the creators of Firefox but they are patched but insecure.

--
tkelly46

Vista Home Basic
Service PAC 2
e Machine model ET1810
2.00 GB
32 bit operating system
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Firefox error
Expert Contributor 25th Jun, 2010 12:43
Score: 2412
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 25th Jun, 2010 12:50
@tfkelly46 ,

Which version of PSI are you using ; in the "advanced" mode :-

1)Are you seeing IE and Firefox in the "patched" tab ?? If not , in which tab ("insecure" or "end of life") are they and what are their version numbers and "installation paths"??

2)Are you seeing IE and Firefox in the "secure browsing" tab , if so what is the actual description showing ?? Are there any SA numbers against/after any specific programmes in each browser ??

3)Who/which programme is giving you the registry error message ?? What does it say exactly ??

4)Are the 3 Adobe programmes now showing in the "insecure" or "patched" tabs ??

Specific/detailed answers to all these questions (even if you have given them before) would be useful to those who wish to help you .

Take care
Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 25th Jun, 2010 12:52
on 25th Jun, 2010 12:24, tfkelly46 wrote:
When I click the blue buttons to download solutions in Firefox and Internet explorer 8 I get an error that the path in the registry is insecure so I updated the programs manually and now they are patched and secure but both Firefox and Internet explorer 8 are insecure and there is no solutions for them they need security updates from Microsoft and the creators of Firefox but they are patched but insecure.
I am using the advanced version of psi.

--
tkelly46

Vista Home Basic
Service PAC 2
e Machine model ET1810
2.00 GB
32 bit operating system
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Firefox error
Expert Contributor 25th Jun, 2010 13:05
Score: 2412
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi again ,

I could guess at what you mean and that would be that everything is as it should be/you have done all the patching you can ; except neither IE nor Ff will allow you to use the "download solution" solution button in your PSI when you have a "insecure" programme to patch .

Guessing is almost as dangerous as assuming , so for me to help further , you will need to answer all the questions in my previous post .

If my guesses are correct you could ignore the PSI solution and do the downloads yourself from the webste direct when you ave a "vulnerable" programme .

PSI version 1.9.0.0. is a "test" version which has an "Auto-Update" tab ; it works with a few programmes (for the moment) and does not need to use your browser directly to update/patch .

Take care
Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability