Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Removing program

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Sun Microsystems
And, this specific program:
Oracle Java JRE 1.6.x / 6.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
IreneLinda Removing program
Member 22nd Jun, 2010 01:17
Ranking: 3
User Since: 19th Apr, 2009
System Score: 93%
I can't get this program removed. I found a thread about it in a post, but couldn't follow the directions as the location where it is supposed to be is not accessible. I tried RUN and searching C: drive, but can't find it: C:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-2298235546-2315192233-102 4646750-1000\$RKH8UJE.0_05. A\bin\java.exe. Tried Add/Remove programs and installing the update, but keep getting this picked up by the scan after rescanning. It tells me I have 2 of these programs that are category 4 threats.

Can anyone help? I am not highly technical, but could cope fine with the Advanced tab, as the earlier post had suggested.

Linda

Maurice Joyce RE: Removing program
Handling Contributor 22nd Jun, 2010 01:46
Score: 11865
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
System Score: N/A
Have U emptied the recycle bin?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
IreneLinda RE: Removing program
Member 23rd Jun, 2010 01:47
Score: 3
User Since: 19th Apr 2009
Thanks for your quick response, Maurice. No, I haven't ... I did check there (using its Search function) to see if I could see the java program and it didn't show up. The bin is very full, however, as I am always nervous about emptying it until I've double checked all the stuff in it after doing a clean out of files.

Do you think I should empty it? Or maybe first search for the java file line by line instead of using Search; then, empty it?

Linda

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 23rd Jun, 2010 09:12
Linda,
I can understand your reluctance but I would empty it. If your PC is generally behaving itself there should be nothing U require.

On a lighter note.

Why not be really bold? Right click on the Recycle Bin select Properties & then select "Don't Move Files To The Recycle Bin. Remove Files Immediately On Delete"

It boosts the confidence and could also result in having a fantastic feeling when U incorrectly press Delete in the full knowledge U also have System Restore switched off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bit like skiing off piste on black runs but warmer.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 24th Jun, 2010 01:07
Last edited on 24th Jun, 2010 01:28
Agh!!! Never - or at least, not just yet. However, I'm going to take a deep breath and empty the Recycle bin; then, scan again and let you know if I get 100%!

Linda

P.S. Well, that didn't work. Darn. The same 2 instances of Java came up as insecure. Any further ideas? (I hope)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 24th Jun, 2010 02:22
Last edited on 24th Jun, 2010 11:02
Linda,
Give me the exact locations:

FINDING A VULNERABILITY FILE PATH
=================================

To locate the exact file that the Secunia PSI has detected, use or switch to the ADVANCED interface, then :

1 Click on the + sign of the programme to "expand' it.
2 Click on Technical Details in the Toolbox to see the installation path of the detected file. (Copy (CTRL+C) & paste (CTRL+V) the Installation Path of the file back to the Forum if U are unsure what to do next.

Revision 2

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 24th Jun, 2010 23:02
Last edited on 24th Jun, 2010 23:16
C:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-2298235546-2315192233-102 4646750-1000\$RKH8UJE.0_05. A\bin\java.exe

Thai is the path that came up when I followed your directions. It makes no sense to me and I couldn't find it via the Run or Search options in the Start button list.

Hope it makes sense to you!

Thanks for your help,

Linda

EDIT: Just realized that I forgot to include the second Java path. It is the same except for the ending part:
C:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-2298235546-2315192233-102 4646750-1000\$RF6LJ90.0_02.\bin\java.exe
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 24th Jun, 2010 23:17
Last edited on 24th Jun, 2010 23:55
Linda,
Go here:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/...

Follow the instructions given by JCGRIFF2

That should clear it - I will be interested in the result.

Edit: Are U also saying there is a separate entry in the A drive? An A drive is normally a very old "floppy" drive that U insert a 3.5" disk in. Have U got one of those & more importantly is there a disk in the drive?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
ddmarshall RE: Removing program
Dedicated Contributor 25th Jun, 2010 00:17
Score: 1219
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
@Maurice

Isn't it just part of the file name in the recycle bin? It's a\ not a:\.

Would the easiest thing to do be to run disk cleanup for all users and select the clear recycle bin option? Looks like someone tried to get rid of Java by deleting the folder.

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Handling Contributor 25th Jun, 2010 00:36
Last edited on 25th Jun, 2010 00:38
I think U are correct - but there is mention of two entries. Although I asked for clarification I got the same answer hence my edit.

I hope the link I gave her will remove all instances which will eliminate any suggestion of the really old A drive.

I missed her Edit - thank U.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 25th Jun, 2010 02:03
Last edited on 25th Jun, 2010 02:12
Hi again,

EDIT: oops, I've just noticed that the thread continues and there is more there than I first thought. I'm going to go into it in more detail before giving up on it so don't worry about all the info I gave you below until I do so. Okay?

First, I missed your edit, too, Maurice. No, there isn't an installed A drive in this laptop, but I did have one I used via a USB port a month ago to access some old files. It is not attached now nor has it been since then.

I checked the pos tyou mentioned and tried to follow its instructions. I think the way to get to hidden files is different from what was suggested. I clicked START, but got a different set of options, perhaps because I've got Vista??? Anyway, I think I got there by selecting "search Everywhere" and checking the box to "show hidden files, etc.". Before I selected search "everywhere", the file ithe search came up with was C:\toolkit_results\toolkit_results_1211210686057\s stk_ScanResultsGrid.xml. When I opened it, it led (via Internet Explorer) to a page filled with code (which I didn't touch). Going back and trying search everywhere + show hidden, Windows Explorer keeps crashing, so I haven't managed to get there.

Do I keep trying? Gregg's post seems to suggest that using his strategy will just allow me to empty the Recycle Bin, but I have already done so, thanks to your advice earlier.

I feel a bit lost at the moment so will wait to hear from you to see if I'm on the right track before trying again.

Sorry to be having so much trouble with this - and making you go to so much trouble to help!

Linda

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Arthur-lw RE: Removing program
Member 25th Jun, 2010 10:04
Score: 7
User Since: 23rd May 2010
System Score: 100%
Linda, you might try Java's advanced removal advice here:
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/uninstall_jav...

Arthur

--
No trees were chopped down in the making of this post, but some electrons were horribly neutertroned in the process.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Dedicated Contributor 25th Jun, 2010 11:26
Emptying the recycle bin only works for the account that is currently logged on. If you have more than one user account, you need to empty the recycle bin for each one.

The easiest way to do this is to use the Disk Cleanup utility for the C: drive. Select the option to do disk cleanup for all users. Then check the option for clearing the recycle bin and uncheck any options that you do not want. This should clear out the recycle bin. The folder name beginning with $recycle.bin indicates that Secunia has found it there.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 25th Jun, 2010 15:56
Last edited on 25th Jun, 2010 16:55
Okay, thank you both. I'll first try the Disk Clean Up and, if that fails to remove the files, the link Arthur sent. Will get back with results!

Result #1 Although there were 0 KB in the Recycle Bin when I tried Disk Clean Up, I checked it anyway. No change after scan: 2 Java files still there! Will now try Arthur's link...

Result #2 No Java program was listed anywhere in the Disk Clean Up list once I installed and ran it.

Any ideas of where to go now? I'm still getting those 2 files each time I rescan and they have the same $RECYCLE.BIN path - which is stranger and stranger the more I read!

Linda
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 25th Jun, 2010 17:13
Linda,
Where the programme is listed in PSI there is a tool called OPEN folder - click that - can U now see the file PSI has found?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Jun, 2010 17:18
Last edited on 25th Jun, 2010 17:36
Are we talking about the same cleanup? Java's solution involves "Windows Install Clean Up". If that's what you used, then the next step is to uninstall and reinstall the PSI and or clean out of the Registry any references to Java.

Me? I would do both with a peek in the Registry first. It's not that complicated, and no, you won't just have a pile of molten slag for a computer — if you take your time and don't go willy nilly.

To open the Registry go to Start > Run and type regedit then Enter in the field. In the Registry Editor's Edit menu click on Find and enter "java" (without the quotes) in the Find what: field then click on Find. Any times after that you use the Find Next in the Menu dropdown.

Anytime you come to an entry with java in it, just right click on it and select delete this key (or sub key or value depending where you find it). Then go ahead and uninstall and reinstall PSI. If that doesn't fix it then you got bigger problems, seems to me. Might take a clean install of Windows then. Let's hope it won't go to that extreme, but that presupposes you are keeping the machine well maintained (periodic defragging, chkdsk every two or three weeks, and running System File Checker about as frequently).

--
No trees were chopped down in the making of this post, but some electrons were horribly neutertroned in the process.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 25th Jun, 2010 19:42
Hi again, Maurice,

Yes, I can see the file and it has the same path as what I sent you earlier.

Linda
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Jun, 2010 19:51
Thanks for the suggestion, Arthur, and I will try the Registry fix, going very slowly and carefully. I thought I was keeping the computer clean with PSI, AdAware, Avast Antivirus, regular patching, but haven't ever used chkdsk or System File Checker! I have defragged, but not recently (ie., in the past several months).

Will post results of Registry search and keep my fingers crossed.

Linda
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Jun, 2010 20:13
Yeah, they make the registry sound like a mine field, but unless someone is a real spasdic I can't see how one can hurt his system by going in there and doing some surgical removals. Plus there are some nice tweaks one can do to get the system to shut down fast and without all the popups and stuff like that.

In fact, sometimes you will try a program only to find out its a nuisance at best and a downright plant at worst. In such a case it is going to leave all sorts of garbage in your registry — maybe even with the intention of doing some nefarious deed even after you uninstall it. In such a case the only way to get rid of it is to pull it out by the roots registry-wise.

On the other hand, one can get overzealous with keeping the registry all clean and defragged and all that. I used to use Registry Mechanic and Registry Booster and from time to time my system would get so corrupted I would have to do a brand new install. Since I got rid of them I have not had any problems.

As far as Adaware and Avast I have no idea if they play well together even, but who knows? I myself settled on Norton, which has it all in one package, and they have had a decade or more to get the bugs out, which they seem to have done (but not with the new stuff they come up with, mind you — like their backup utility).

Running chkdsk is a must, gal. Like putting oil in your car, sorta. LOL System File Checker is there for a reason as well.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 25th Jun, 2010 20:48
If U can see the file right click & delete it.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 25th Jun, 2010 21:26
Maurice, I have tried, but here's what happens: when I hover over or left click on the Open Folder option, a box comes up that says, "Open folder where Sun Java JRE ... was detected". However, I can't open it with either a left or right click. The text box disappears whenever I try!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Jun, 2010 21:29
Now that I have badmouthed registry cleaners LOL there is one I have found that I like. It's PowerTools Lite http://www.macecraft.com/. It lets you see every item it found in the registry - and its entire value rather than some truncated thing - and you can tell it line-by-line if you agree with its assessment before you tell it to delete.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 25th Jun, 2010 21:34
Linda,
Go with Arthur's solution. That cannot fail in that it must be in the registry.

I would never use a Registry Cleaner - but the one Arthur has suggested has some merits in that U get to choose what to delete. Worth a try in my view.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Jun, 2010 21:34
Last edited on 25th Jun, 2010 21:40
Where does one find chkdsk? And System File Checker. Didn't see either in Control Panel or Accessories/System Tools. And, duh, I had forgotten that I had Disk Defragmenter on an automatic schedule and it's done regularly!

Registry check will be done over the weekend and I'll post results. I've only tackled it maybe once or twice before, so will go very slowly!

Linda

PS Just read your reply, Arthur, so I'll go ahead with the Registry. Surely the little devil will show up there!!!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 25th Jun, 2010 21:44
Last edited on 25th Jun, 2010 21:45
Check Disk:

Start>Computer>RIGHT click on the C drive>select PROPERTIES>TOOLS>Use Error Checking

It will ask to reboot>on boot blue screen >off it goes doing the task

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 25th Jun, 2010 21:58
Last edited on 25th Jun, 2010 22:02
SFC is a sneaky little bugger. It isn't listed in the Start Menu, nor to my knowledge does it even appear in any of the literature Microsoft gives to its new customers with the software. Ok, enough rant about Microsoft not supplying the end user with a decent owner's manual. LOL

To start SFC go to Start — Run and in the field type cmd then Enter.
You get a DOS box (not to worry it's friendly -kinda sorta). After the prompt where the cursor is you type sfc /scannow and then hit Enter. (Note there is a space before the slash.) It will want you to insert your copy of Windows installation disc so it can compare the original files in I386 folder.

Of course I am assuming you are running XP 32bit or something similar. I have no idea if the procedure is the same for a 64bit setup and if they kept the same setup in Windows 7.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 25th Jun, 2010 22:55
Here is a very drastic way to ensure the Recycle Bin has absolutely nothing in it. Try this if nothing else works. I hope you've got everything backed up before you start experimenting with the Registry etc.

Open an elevated command prompt i.e.:
Press Start
Click All Programs
Click Accessories
Right Click Command Prompt
Click Run as Administrator
OK the UAC dialog if necessary

In the elevated command prompt type rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin and press enter

Close the command prompt window

Right click on an empty area of the desktop and click on Refresh

If you have any other hard disk partitions, repeat for them; in case Secunia is misreporting the drive letter for some reason.

Arthur-lw's instructions for sfc /scannow are correct for Vista as well. I think that you will need to use an elevated command prompt for it too though.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 25th Jun, 2010 23:42
I'm glad you brought that up about backing up the registry, dd. I don't want to put you on the spot, but maybe you can tell me why people always say that. I have a hard time figuring out what good it would do. I mean if the registry is so courrupted Windows won't even load, how does one go about restoring the old registry? They did away with the A:\ prompt, so even if someone knew all those arcane DOS commands to copy the registry file back where it belongs that is no longer even an option.

Try to do the restore utility thingy on the Windows installation disc and it wants a password and won't proceed unless you come up with one somehow.

Anyway, as long as we are now on backing up a system I thought I would share my method of choice, for what it's worth. Paragon has a backup gizmo called "Paragon Hard Disk Manager™ 2009 Suite". Now while it's much more elaborate than, say Acronis, it is not for the faint of heart. I am writing this from my third build and I find their software mind boggling sometimes, it is that extensive. Even comes with a defrag feature (which btw can take 3 or 4 hours just to defrag your C drive - it's that thorough).

Since XP Pro SP3 I am no longer able to do a repair install. It goes all the way through and then hangs up on the black Windows splash screen where it says Please wait.............................................. ..........................

Now I am not sure why this is the case. Maybe it's my OEM XP disc instead of the full whammy you get at Fry's instead of the elcheapo you get from Tiger, but no matter what I do the repair install will not take. I've tried slipstreaming, uninstalling SP3 first, and all to no avail.

Long story short, it's good to have your system backed up real good... unless you really enjoy a clean install and the hours one can while away at it. :-((

A good backup utility can take a snapshot of your entire system and save it somewhere onto another drive in your system or even to a network.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Dedicated Contributor 26th Jun, 2010 00:31
I was just suggesting it would be a good idea to have a fallback position in case the system got bricked. Not explicitly the Registry, though a Restore Point might be useful. With OEMs these days you don't get much more than a factory reset.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Jun, 2010 00:46
I agree with you. A restore point might actually do some good. Or.......

Well, something's been bothering me when she mentioned her choices of AV and anti-spyware. (I think she is gone for the weekend so we can talk about her in the third person (winks slyly).

If her AV and anti-other stuff missed some sort of infection then if she uses System Restore it will be all put back onto her system. Even my Norton isn't going to check for virii and other dog doo in the System Restore files - last I heard... A system scan by a virus scanner bypasses the restore points saved, so who knows?

(When I said Norton had a decade or more to get the bugs out did not mean I said they did, ok?)

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Jun, 2010 16:24
A question for ddmarshall: I was planning to try the registry fix over the weekend. Should I try it before or after your elevated command prompt solution? Your solution sounds less drastic than the registry one, but you did say "after all else fails". Despite the fact that I think I am properly backed up (have a HDD back up installed), backing up is an area that scares me, given my rudimentary technical ability!! If it fails ... and this computer is central to our small business!

I'll hold off on doing anything until I hear back.

Thanks for all your and everyone's help!

Linda
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 26th Jun, 2010 16:48
Last edited on 26th Jun, 2010 17:10
If breaking this computer is going to affect your livelihood, I don't think you should take any chances. It doesn't look as if this is a vulnerability that will put you at risk of exploitation by malware. After all, the Secunia PSI seems to the only thing that can even detect these files. They look like remnants that are probably not capable of being used.

What I suggested is the solution for a corrupt recycle bin, so it's not particularily dangerous. But using the command prompt, there's always the chance that a mistype could cause something unwanted to happen.
So, my advice would to leave things as they are.

If anyone else is interested here is a link to recreating the recycle bin using the command prompt or Explorer.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/131294-recycle-b...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Member 26th Jun, 2010 21:13
Thank you! Your suggestion is just what I was beginning to think myself and would have asked next. I think I will just ignore Secunia PSI's notices about these 2 insecure programs and focus only on any others it locates. As you said, I would be very hesitant to cause more problems than I'm solving.

I will keep the links and suggestions you, Maurice and Arthur have provided, however, for "down the road" - in case I get braver or more knowledgeable technically!

This has been a very instructive thread for me and I very much appreciate everyone's providing so much help.

Linda
Was this reply relevant?
+3
chasingcatz RE: Removing program
Member 30th Jun, 2010 20:47
Score: 0
User Since: 16th Nov 2009
ddmarshall, thank you for your advice, using disk cleanup worked like magic for me!
Katie
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+