|castone19||Cannot download new version of PSI|
|22nd Jun, 2010 21:00|
User Since: 3rd Mar, 2009
System Score: N/A
I currently use PSI v126.96.36.199 on a Vista 64-bit PC. I keep getting messages that a new version of PSI is available but when I click on the PSI icon I get the error message "An error occurred while attempting to open the specified URL". I also I get this error message when I click on "Visit and Join the Community Forum" from within the program. I accessed this Forum by going directly to the Security web site.
Does anyone know what might be causing this?
|wr||RE: Cannot download new version of PSI|
|22nd Jun, 2010 21:46|
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 22nd Jun, 2010 21:48
Sounds like there might be a connectivity problem.
You can use any browser as your default but Secunia needs
IE to connect & function properly. Please check your
IE settings as per the FAQ from Secunia.
To do this:
1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. Go to Tools>Internet Options>Security tab.
3. Select the Internet zone and click on the Custom Level button.
4. In Security Settings, go to the Scripting>Active Scripting option.
5. Make sure that Active Scripting is Enabled (rather than Disabled or Prompted).
6. Press OK then Yes.
7. Back in the Security tab, select the Trusted sites zone and click on the Sites button.
8. Look at the bottom of this window, and uncheck the field labeled "Require Server Verification (https) for all site zones".
9. Type in the following and press the Add button to add them to the Trusted Sites list:
10. Press Close, then OK.
11. Run the Secunia PSI again to view the scan results.
These settings must be exactly as Secunia lists them.
Pay close attention to step #8 as most folks seem to
miss this step by not reading what's in the 'box'.
Hope this helps.
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 31.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
|This user no longer exists||RE: Cannot download new version of PSI|
|23rd Jun, 2010 08:48|
I suggest you try re-setting your default browser, even if it is currently set. This forces all appropriate registry entries to be re-written, so we can assure their correctness.
You can find instructions for accomplishing this here:
hope this helps.
|lmbowling||RE: Cannot download new version of PSI|
|27th Jun, 2010 17:49|
User Since: 21st Nov 2009
System Score: N/A
|I had exactly the same problem and tried all the solutions in the forum. I determined that my copy of the Internet Explorer 8 application had somehow become corrupted (at least registry entries and the DLL cache).
My fix was to download IE7, remove IE8, install IE7, and then update to IE8. Everything worked fine afterwards.
Sounds convoluted, but the simple test for connectivity is to open the Run command line (START - RUN) and type in a web address like www.yahoo.com. If, when you click Browse a browser opens, you have connectivity. If not, you might want to try my solution.
Not a customer already?