Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: 64bit Version must be handled separate

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Mozilla Foundation
And, this specific program:
Mozilla Firefox 3.6.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
Pressfred 64bit Version must be handled separate
Member 28th Jun, 2010 16:30
Ranking: 0
User Since: 28th Jun, 2010
System Score: N/A
Hello!

The PSI constantly nags one should update the 64bit Version of Firefox for Windows, propably because Secunia doesn't know that there are no official x64 builds from Mozilla yet, and the available builds are often a bit behind (atm the most recent build available is 3.6.4, not 3.6.6 like the 32bit release).

Someone should tell the PSI to look at http://www.mozilla-x86-64.com/ for the latest x64 builds of Mozilla software, instead of blindly sticking to the 32bit build version number, at least until the guys at Mozilla arrive in the present and start to provide official 64bit builds like they should have been doing since years.

Regards,

Hans

M.Hansen RE: 64bit Version must be handled separate
Secunia Official 29th Jun, 2010 09:28
Score: 188
User Since: 26th Jan 2009
Hi

Since you are running a custom version of Firefox, it's up to you do decide what to do with the information provided by the PSI.

The custom 64bit version of Firefox is still vulnerable to the vulnerabilities that has not been patched yet, since they are a few versions behind.

I've seen several rumors across the Internet that Mozilla is working on a official 64 bit Firefox, with the introduction of Firefox 4.0. I have yet to see an official response from Mozilla though.
mogs RE: 64bit Version must be handled separate
Expert Contributor 29th Jun, 2010 09:47
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 29th Jun, 2010 09:50
This post is'nt relative to the topic as such....just an observation regarding the format of this particular thread.
No "thumb up/down" is appearing , at my end at least....as in other threads in Programs.

PS The facility has appeared under my post....have I missed something....is there something I'm not aware of ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Maurice Joyce RE: 64bit Version must be handled separate
Handling Contributor 29th Jun, 2010 09:57
Score: 11710
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
The originator & Secunia Officials do not have one which is correct. Your post does. This reply to U should have one.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
mogs RE: 64bit Version must be handled separate
Expert Contributor 29th Jun, 2010 10:03
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
That's fine...thanks Maurice....just checking I was seeing aright ! Should have noticed before then.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Pressfred RE: 64bit Version must be handled separate
Member 29th Jun, 2010 16:56
Score: 0
User Since: 28th Jun 2010
Hi!

OK, I see your point concerning the vulnerabilities, I most propably wouldn't be using a custom build if not for Mozilla's neglection of win-x64.

As I use it's auto-update function, the program is anyway almost always up-to-date. Exception in PSI is created.

Thank you!

P.S. At least the fact that a huge load of exploits doesn't work under x64, too, compensates for me the a little older version being available as a build. :-)
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability