xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Off-topic: general tech talk – July 2010.

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as resolved.
taffy078 Off-topic: general tech talk – July 2010.
Contributor 30th Jun, 2010 21:52
Ranking: 408
User Since: 26th Feb, 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 30th Jun, 2010 21:55

Hello! This is one of the two recent new threads that have evolved from the OPEN DOOR thread. It’s the second of what may become a series of monthly threads - if you want it to!

The aim of this thread is simple: here you can post hints and tips that have helped you or that you have posted in specific threads elsewhere in this forum. That way, many more will benefit too. Or you can post general queries.

It will reviewed in a month’s time so . . . . . over to you!

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

Desktop: Compaq Presario (OEM) 32 bit / AMD Athlon / 2 GB RAM
XP Home - SP3/ IE8/ Norton IS - Secunia PSI v2.0.0.3003

Laptop: Win 7 / IE11 / PSI v2.0.0.3003

Post "RE: Off-topic: general tech talk – July 2010." has been selected as an answer.
taffy078 RE: Off-topic: general tech talk – July 2010.
Contributor 30th Jun, 2010 22:33
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
SYSTEM RESTORE.

A few months ago, I found that there were errors on my hard drive. (Maurice Joyce showed me how to check this etc. anf gave me lots of help.)

PC World (a UK PC company) later used a spare hard drive in my PC to be my new 'C' drive. They designated the old 'C' drive to be my 'E' drive and saved all my old files there. (All my files were lost - I had back-up elsewhere though. Every other user on my PC didn't lose any files.)

They also created a new Recovery drive ('F' drive).

I've found today that my System Restore is totally unable to restore to any chosen restore point. I assume that it can't be due to inadequate capacity - I've allocated the maximum 12% to each drive, as you can see from the info below.

I've googled and can't find why this has happened. Before I go back to PCW, has anyone any ideas please? Thanks

C drive (current) 149 GB - 135 GB free i.e. 14 GB used (18.314 GB space in System Restore)

E drive (old, recovered files) 143 GB - 104 GB free i.e. 39 GB used.(17.576 GB space in System Restore)

F drive (recovery) 5.98 GB - 2.26 GB free i.e. 3.72 GB used (735 MB space in System Restore)

as at 30.06.2010

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 30th Jun, 2010 22:44
Last edited on 30th Jun, 2010 22:47
PS I found this article. I checked that everything that should be started and running is.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsu...

EDIT: I've also found this. Perhaps re-naming etc is my only solution?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841568/en-us

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 1st Jul, 2010 16:07
MY SYSTEM RETORE PROBLEM.

I tried to follow Microsoft's advice in their http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841568/en-us

I failed. It says to locate the root of a hard disk drive, right-click the System Volume Information folders. I couldn't find them. I tried 'Search' but found nothing.

Should I have looked in DOS?

At the moment I have disabled Sytem Recovery on my 'E' & 'F' drives and will try again later to see if that has helped.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
ddmarshall RE: Off-topic: general tech talk – July 2010.
Dedicated Contributor 1st Jul, 2010 16:46
Score: 1205
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
Last edited on 1st Jul, 2010 17:05
My memory of XP is hazy, but isn't there an option in the folder options to do with system files as well as the 'show hidden files' button?

I can remember stories of issues with Norton and System Restore in the past. I don't if it's still the case.

That Microsoft KB looks a bit scary.

Update

Just found this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531

Microsoft doesn't make it easy for you. You might have better luck in Safe Mode.

Update 2

If these are NTFS volumes, there's a lot of other stuff in there and you really shouldn't delete it.

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Off-topic: general tech talk – July 2010.
Expert Contributor 1st Jul, 2010 22:25
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
Acta proposals could lead to people's PCs being seized
UK opposes criminal sanctions for copyright infringement
Government says a framework to better enforce existing laws on illegal file sharing is the better way forward
Written by Dinah Greek, Computeractive
01 Jul 2010
The UK Government said it will oppose international moves to criminalise illegal file sharing, Computeractive has learned.

A document leaked by French advocacy group La Quadrature du Net shows that EU negotiators want criminal sanctions introduced into the international Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (Acta).

The Acta Chapter 2 Criminal Provisions of the leaked document say that "each party shall provide for effective proportionate and dissuasive penalties" including "imprisonment and monetary fines".

advertisement

The document also states that citizens could be held liable for copyright infringement if they are believed to have "incited, aided and abetted" its undertaking.

In addition the EU proposals call for the seizure of “any related materials and implements used in the commission of the alleged offence”. This could lead to people having their PCs seized.

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/new...

The topic does'nt really belong in R&C either ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 1st Jul, 2010 22:29
The flaw was originally spotted by a Google researcher
Microsoft admits increase in zero day XP attacks
Windows Help and Support Center flaw has now hit over 10,000 PCs
Written by Phil Muncaster, V3.co.uk
01 Jul 2010
Microsoft has revealed that over 10,000 PCs have now been hit by attacks exploiting a publicised flaw in the Windows Help and Support Center.

A post yesterday on the Microsoft Malware Protection Center’s Threat Research and Response blog highlighted that the number and frequency of attacks has changed significantly since the advisory was first released on 10 June.

“At first, we only saw legitimate researchers testing innocuous proof-of-concepts. Then, early on June 15th, the first real public exploits emerged,” wrote Holly Stewart, a senior program manager with MMPC.

advertisement

“Those initial exploits were targeted and fairly limited. In the past week, however, attacks have picked up and are no longer limited to specific geographies or targets, and we would like to ensure that customers are aware of this broader distribution.”

Users in Portugal and Russia seem to have been hit the most frequently, with the majority falling victim to “seeing seemingly-automated, randomly-generated html and php pages” hosting the exploit, she added.

The attack was first disclosed by Google security engineer Tavis Ormandy, but security experts were quick to denounce his actions in disclosing before Microsoft had time to develop a fix.

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/v3/news/2265787/mi...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 1st Jul, 2010 22:36
Type: freeware Platform: Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista Manufacturer:Freshney Size: 2.2MB
Review Rating:Average User Rating:
Rate this downloadPrice:Free Number of downloads:
Knowing that a hard disk is nearly full is one thing, but working out where all the space has gone is not so easy.

Utilities such as Folder Size can help but still leave most of the work in your hands. Xinorbis can scan hard disks and USB keys and then report on where the space has been used.

The results of the scan are displayed as a pie chart with different sections representing documents or system files.

advertisement

The reports can also be saved in a variety of different formats including HTML, text, CSV or XML. Saved reports can be used for comparisons in future.

Xinorbis can be installed onto a USB key so it can be used on lots of different computers without having to be installed on each one.

Xinorbix 5 includes a "Time" to scan history and improved folder exclusion options. There are also several bug fixes.

Read more: http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/dow...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 2nd Jul, 2010 00:13
I've touched or tapped on the subject before : but it's possible it's worth reinforcing......
Some time ago one of my relatives wanted to update his phone: being without a pc at the time, I thought to oblige, and subsequently downloaded the required software. He's since acquired his own lappy....not that I'm desperate for space...but having a clear out sometimes makes me feel better. There were three progs showing in Revo which I duly uninstalled, including left-over files and folders. But a manual search of Software entries in the registry revealed another associated....and deleted.
Anyrate... any alterations/uninstall of programs/ permissions for my firewall security, usually show up quite quickly at the top of the configuration list. Having done all, as I thought.....no.....the firewall was still showing open !
Removed permissions....now I know it's gone !

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 2nd Jul, 2010 23:57

All Things Google Chrome!
Google Chrome YouTube Channel
Download Google Chrome
Chromium Blog
Chromium Homepage
Chrome on Facebook
Search our Blog

Site Feed

Archive

More Blogs from Google
Visit our directory for more information about Google blogs.
We Love Feedback
Do you want to comment on a post? Send us a message.

Making the web more accessible, one step at a time
Wednesday, June 30, 2010 | 10:53 AM
Labels: accessibility, extensions
From text that is too small to read, to user interfaces that do not offer keyboard navigation options, users with special needs face a lot of challenges when trying to access websites they are interested in. We believe that extensions can complement the work we are doing to make Google Chrome more accessible and can help users with disabilities turn the web from an often unwelcoming place to an environment they can truly enjoy.

Today we are launching a new category of featured extensions under the name “Accessibility”. On this page you’ll find ChromeVis a brand new extension from Google that allows users with low vision to magnify and change the color of selected text. You will also find extensions like Chrome Daltonize that can help color blind users to see more details in web pages or gleeBox that provides alternatives to actions traditionally performed via the mouse such as clicking, scrolling and selecting text fields.

http://chrome.blogspot.com/

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 3rd Jul, 2010 00:02
Adobe Flash Player support now enabled in Google Chrome’s stable channel
| 8:06 AM
In our most recent stable release of Google Chrome, we talked about beta-testing Adobe Flash Player integration into Chrome. We're now happy to enable this integration by default in the stable channel of Chrome. To read more about this integration, check out the Chromium blog.

In testing Flash Player integration into Chrome, the Chrome team admittedly spent many, many fun hours with a few of our favorite Flash-based indie games. So as a side project, we teamed up with a few creative folks to build Chrome FastBall, a Flash-based game built on top of the YouTube platform.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 3rd Jul, 2010 00:08
A targeted malware operation has set its sights on the UK
Targeted malware zeros in on UK banks
New attack aims small to avoid detection
Written by Shaun Nichols in San Francisco, V3.co.uk
02 Jul 2010
A new targeted malware attack is threatening UK bank customers.

Security firm Trusteer said that it has spotted a malware attack that compromises user credentials by creating a fake bank log-in page and then uses those credentials to perform an "authorised" monetary transfer.

The attack is being spread through multiple infection methods, including web-based exploits and spam email attachments.

advertisement

Rather than aim to infect numerous systems around the world, however, the company said that the attack is specifically targeting the UK and focusing on very few banks at a time, anywhere from three to seven in a single run.

Read more: http://www.computeractive.co.uk/v3/news/2265828/ta...
Software, gadgets, magazines and more in our webstore. Click here to see our latest offers.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 3rd Jul, 2010 20:20
ome > Q and A > PC Operating Systems
The chkdsk program will only report on errors, not fix them
Decipher Windows XP Disk Check messages
The Windows XP PC Disk Check screen reports many problem. We show you how to fix them
Written by Computeractive staff, Computeractive
02 Jul 2010
Q My Windows XPPC regularly shows a Disk Check screen that reports many problems including broken links and truncated files. It says it has fixed the errors but the message keeps appearing.

I have tried running chkdsk.exe from the Run option in the Start menu but the following message appears: ‘Windows found errors but will not fix them because disk checking was run without the /F(fix) parameter’. What do I need to do now?

Brian Roberts

advertisement

A The chkdsk program will only report on errors, not fix them, unless you explicitly tell it otherwise. An easier alternative is to check the disk from within Windows Explorer. Click on the Start button and then My Computer. Right-click on Local Disk (C:).

Then left-click on Properties. Click on the Tools tab and then click on the Check now button at the top. Select both the options in the window that appears and click on Start. The check will not start immediately as the message that appears explains.

The checking software needs access to files that might be in use so it will offer to make the check the next time the computer is restarted. Click on Yes and then restart the computer. This should find and fix the problems.

If the problems continue it could indicate a problem with the hard disk itself. Download and install Smart Disk Monitor to check for problems. In the meantime you should back up important documents just in case.

Baffled by jargon? See our free online Jargon Buster.

Read more: http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/q-a...
Software, gadgets, magazines and more in our webstore. Click here to see our latest offers.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 3rd Jul, 2010 20:26
Last edited on 3rd Jul, 2010 20:47
AVG Anti-Virus Free 9.0.839
Major update to the impressive and free antivirus package
Written by Chris Wiles/Tim Smith, V3.co.uk
29 Jun 2010
Type: freeware Platform: Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Vista 64-bit Manufacturer:Grisoft Inc Size: 88MB
Rate this downloadPrice:Free for personal use Number of downloads:
AVG continues to be one of the most popular free antivirus programs available on the internet and it maintains this position with a combination of effective protection and an easy to use interface.

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 9 improves on both areas, and is an essential upgrade, as updates will be stopped for the previous version. If you already have AVG installed it is best to click on the upgrade option when it is offered. If you have never installed it before, this is the download to use. We would recommend disconnecting from the internet during installation as there will a period where there is no protection.

As noted the interface of AVG Free has been improved and it is easier to see what protection AVG is providing and what needs attention via icons in the main part of the screen. Tabs along the left hand side give quick access to important information on updates and ongoing scans.

advertisement

In addition to traditional antivirus protection, AVG Free now offers protection from Spyware without installing extra software.

Extra features included with AVG Free 9 are basic support for anti-rootkit, an email scanner, the web page LinkScanner, to make sure you avoid malicious websites and more.

Read more: http://www.computeractive.co.uk/vnunet/downloads/2...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 3rd Jul, 2010 21:02
Life & style
Toys
Top 10 toys for Christmas 2010
Hi-tech toys will make a comeback this Christmas as Britain limps out of recession, led by a dancing rubbish truck, a children's video camera and a wristband that unleashes alien sounds, according to toy retailer Hamleys. But its overall best-seller in terms of volume is traditionally the Hamleys Christmas Bear, with an affordable pricetag of £20. Among other novelties, watch out for the new meerkat members of Sylvanian families, and an updated 'round' Monopoly board incorporating today's property prices ...http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/gallery/201...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 4th Jul, 2010 08:23
Hackers target Microsoft Windows XP support system
Page last updated at 09:17 GMT, Thursday, 1 July 2010 10:17 UK
E-mail this to a friendPrintable version The bug affects well-established Windows XP operating system
Hi-tech criminals are "escalating" attacks on an unpatched bug in the Windows XP help and support system.

Microsoft said it had seen more than 10,000 machines hit by the attack that, so far, it has not found a fix for.Windows PCs falling victim will have control of that machine handed over to attackers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/10473495.stm

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 4th Jul, 2010 08:48
Last edited on 4th Jul, 2010 08:57
ThreatFire™ AntiVirus protects when others can't

PCs are under constant attack from viruses, spyware and identity theft. Every day you hear about a new threat to your PC. They're coming faster than ever before, they're getting harder to stop and traditional antivirus products are not able to keep up.

Will your antivirus software catch the latest malware that just came out today? In most cases, no, because it simply does not know how to detect it yet. But ThreatFire's ActiveDefense technology does, and has proven to provide up to 243% more protection when combined with traditional AntiVirus products. See the table below.

Traditional Security Product Solo vs. Traditional Product with ThreatFireThreatFire Free Edition

Powerful free behavioral protection against zero-day malware.

ThreatFire features innovative real-time behavioral technology that provides powerful protection against both known and unknown viruses, worms, trojans, rootkits, buffer overflows, spyware, adware and other malware.
Read More Download

http://www.pctools.com/consumer/products/

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 4th Jul, 2010 17:47
US Scientists and the National Federation of the Blind are developing a car for the blind and will present a prototype next year.

The vehicle will be fitted with technology that allows a blind person to drive independently, the NFB and Virginia Tech University said.

Non-visual aids include sensors indicating turns in the road via vibrating gloves.

Puffs of compressed air on the face will alert the driver to obstacles.

Other aids to be fitted include a vibrating vest to give feedback on speed and a steering wheel with audio cues and spoken commands indicating the car's direction.

Exploration
Last year Virginia Tech turned a beach buggy into an experimental vehicle for blind drivers.

They used sensor lasers and cameras to act as the eyes of the buggy.

Continue reading the main story
We're moving away from the theory that blindness ends the capacity of human beings to make contributions to society

Marc Maurer
NFB president
The model to be presented next year will be a modified Ford Escape sport utility vehicle, the NFB announced.

"We're exploring areas that have previously been regarded as unexplorable," said NFB president Marc Maurer.

He added that projects like this car was changing people's perception of the blind.

"We're moving away "from the theory that blindness ends the capacity of human beings to make contributions to society".

Mr Maurer said he started talking about a car for blind drivers ten years ago.

"Some people thought I was crazy," he said.

The prototype is expected be be publicly tested by a blind driver on the Daytona race track in Florida next January.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/us_and_canada/104...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 4th Jul, 2010 18:27
Dev Channel Update
Friday, July 2, 2010 | 16:11
Labels: Dev updates
The Dev channel has been updated to 6.0.453.1 for All platforms

Windows
Consolidated menu is on by default
[r50830] Show preview images when dragging images.
Printing from the built-in PDF plugin now prints vectors instead of pixels.
[r50617] Fix avutil-50.dll entry point not found error by limiting the DLL search path when loading FFmpeg binaries (Issue 35857)
Mac
Continued feature parity work
Linux
New experimental support for gnome-keyring and kwallet for storing your passwords. Currently off by default; you can opt in via a command line flag and we’d love feedback as to whether it eats your data. Please see this thread for information on how to test it (importantly, back up your passwords first).
Fixed overlapping characters sometimes seen with complex (Thai, Indic) text.
The PDF plugin is now available (turn it on in about:plugins).
More details about additional changes are available in the svn svn log of all revision.

You can find out about getting on the Dev channel here: http://dev.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-chann...

If you find new issues, please let us know by filing a bug at http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/entry

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 5th Jul, 2010 07:16

Keeping the registry as compact as possible means better computer performance. Auslogics Registry Defrag is fast becoming an essential tool in keeping your registry defragmented. As a result, the Registry becomes compact and small, greatly improving your computer performance.
Get it from CNET Download.com!
...This software program really increases your PC performance. And it has a very clear and nice-looking interface like other products from Auslogics....

- CNet Comments
Quick Links
Free download

System Requirements
Windows 7/Vista/2008/XP/2003 (32-bit & 64-bit)
15 MB available hard disk space
64 MB RAM

Overview
Reviews
FAQ

The Registry is very much like hard disk drives. Programs on your computer access the Registry thousands of times per second. That means that the Registry, just like disk drives, gets bloated and fragmented with time.

Read more at
http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/registry-defr...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 5th Jul, 2010 07:29

Speeds up your computer by optimizing file system. It will defragment files, consolidate free space and move system files to the faster part of the disk.
Free download Auslogics Disk Defrag
Free download Auslogics BoostSpeed
Includes Disk Defrag with its every feature and advantage, PLUS over 17 tools for complete computer maintenance. It will clean up junk files, fix registry errors and tweak Windows to its peak performance.

Read more at:- http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 5th Jul, 2010 08:00

PDF-XChange Viewer
Those Wishing to View/Modify or perform simple editing of PDF files on their Windows PC's now have a FREE alternative ! The PDF-XChange Viewer is smaller, faster and more feature rich than any other FREE PDF Reader/Viewer available. This version also allows users to try the extended functionality offered by the PDF-XChange Viewer 'PRO' in evaluation mode - for free.
The FREE version may be used for both Private and Commercial use provided it is not distributed further for commercial gain without permission!
Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 & Later
Version: 2.053 (Updated on 29 Jun, 2010)
ZIP installer | 13 MB
EXE installer | 12 MB
Portable ZIP | 6 MB
MSI Installer (32 bit) | 17 MB
MSI Installer (64 bit) | 21 MB
Language Localization Tool | 9 MB
(View Previous Versions)

Not sure which download is right for you?
Click here to view the download notes

http://www.tracker-software.com/product/downloads

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 5th Jul, 2010 09:54
some free anti-spyware programs are listed here:

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/collection/collid...

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 5th Jul, 2010 23:35
Set English UK as your spellchecker's dictionary
Spellcheck Open Office Writer documents in UK English
05 Jul 2010
Q I am using Open Office 3.01 and I have noticed that if I spell certain words, such as programme or colour, they are underlined as a spelling mistake, which is not the case, as this is the English way of spelling as opposed to the American way of spelling the word.

When I click on the spellchecker, I see that I can select the UK version of English. However, when I next get a spelling mistake, I notice that the spell checker has reverted to the US version.

Is there a way to keep the UK version as my default spell checker every time I open and use Open Office Writer?

advertisement

Milan, Computeractive forum

A Click on the Tools menu and then click on Options. Click on the arrow labelled Language Settings and then on Languages.

Click on the dropdown menu labelled Western in the ‘Default languages for documents’ section. Select English (UK) and then click on OK to save the change.

Robert Clayton, Computeractive forum

Read more: http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/q-a...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 5th Jul, 2010 23:39
ere: Home > News > Enterprise Security Technology
The UK is fifth in the worldwide compromised PC rankings
Tenth of UK PCs compromised by hackers
Organisations make it too easy for cyber criminals to compromise their systems, says SecureWorks
Written by David Neal, V3.co.uk
05 Jul 2010
One in 10 PCs in the UK is capable of launching a cyber attack, according to new figures from security vendor SecureWorks.

The firm's study into worldwide security hacks placed the UK fifth overall, with an average of 107 attacks launched per 1,000 computers over a six-month period.

PCs in India ranked the lowest at just 52 out 1,000, while the US came top with 1,600 attacks per 1,000 PCs.

advertisement

"The statistics show that a substantial number of vulnerable computers in countries worldwide have been compromised and are being used as bots to launch cyber attacks," said Jon Ramsey, chief technology officer at SecureWorks.

Ramsey warned that computer users often unwittingly make it easy for hackers to access and control their machines.

"The study shows that organisations and individuals are not only putting themselves at risk by not securing their PCs, but are actually providing cyber criminals with a platform to compromise other computers," he said.

Ramsey recommended that users maintain at least a basic level of security, particularly as online banking, shopping, social networking and other sensitive computer activities increase in popularity.

"These include keeping your anti-virus software, web browsers and applications properly up to date and patched, and following safe computer practices such as only opening attachments and downloading programs that you trust," he said.

Read more: http://www.computeractive.co.uk/v3/news/2265931/se...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 6th Jul, 2010 17:27
Web of Trust is easy to use and free
Stay safe when browsing with Web of Trust
Many security threats lurk on websites. Discover how to check a site’s safety before you visit
06 Jul 2010
Introduction
One of the most common ways to fall foul of viruses, spyware or fraudulent activity is by browsing the web. Although the latest versions of Internet Explorer and other web browsers offer some protection against scam websites, these tools tend to be pretty basic.

Web of Trust (WOT) is a browser plug-in that provides a welcome layer of extra protection for Firefox, Google Chrome and Internet Explorer users. It provides colour-coded safety ratings for websites, search engine results and links that appear in web-based emails.

It can also be used to keep kids away from unsuitable websites and is both simple to install and use, and will not cost you a penny to use. We show you how to use it.

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/wor...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 6th Jul, 2010 17:32
Message appears when you're doing too much on your PC
Sort out a low virtual memory problem
Find out what to do if your PC's virtual memory is running out
06 Jul 2010
Q I still use Windows XP, and a couple of times recently I have had a message that my virtual memory is running low, and that Windows is correcting this. What does this mean, and what can I do to prevent a recurrence?

Roger Williams

A Virtual memory is used by Windows when the ordinary memory on the computer runs out. It does this by creating a special file on the hard disk, called a paging file. This message appears when this file needs to grow.

advertisement

It can be safely ignored as Windows shows this message to explain why the PC is acting slowly. It normally happens if you are trying to do too much with the computer but it can indicate a problem with software.

If the message appears when only a single program is running on your computer, check for updates to that program.

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/q-a...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 6th Jul, 2010 22:05
Nexi robot: A matter of trust
July 6, 2010
David DeSteno and MIT's Jin Joo Lee worked with Nexi the robot on the research project. Photo by Mary Knox Merrill.
(PhysOrg.com) -- What can a wide-eyed, talking robot teach us about trust? A lot, according to Northeastern psychology professor David DeSteno, and his colleagues, who are conducting innovative research to determine how humans decide to trust strangers -- and if those decisions are accurate.

Read more at:-
http://www.physorg.com/news197641073.html

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 7th Jul, 2010 08:54
New technology developed by European researchers will allow autonomous underwater vehicles to work together as a team. It increases the scope of submarine applications for autonomous vehicles. Even better, the technology can be retrofitted.
Ads by Google
Laser Guided Vehicles - AGVs With World Class Quality Unrivalled Pricing and Reliability - www.softdesign.se

One could reasonably argue that the ocean floor is composed primarily of surprise. Surprise is the most common finding when scientists investigate some unexplored portion of the sea bed. And the ocean is 90 percent unexplored.
We know more about the surface of the moon than we do of the watery depths. The most advanced alien life form so far encountered by humanity - a species using chemosynthesis, an entirely new metabolic process to create energy, cells and life - was found by Professor Colleen Cavanaugh at a hydrothermal vent in the ocean deep just 30 years ago.
Studying the deep ocean floor like this is cumbersome, expensive and dangerous. The majority of exploration efforts have to employ an autonomous unmanned vehicle (AUV), which works without control cables.
But many AUVs are specialised, they cannot travel far alone and they can only provide a narrow range of data. Moreover, there are few AUVs and the unexplored kilometres of ocean are many.

Read more at :-
http://www.physorg.com/news197660442.html

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 7th Jul, 2010 09:07
urer:Piriform Ltd Size: 3.3MB
Just as regular exercise is good for your health, a regular workout for your hard diskis recommended. Windows has its own tools for doing this, but CCleaner makes a slightly better job of it.

The application is free to use and shows the door to all kinds of temporary files, from temporary internet files to old automatic back-ups from application such as Office XP and file sharing software. It also shakes out old entries from your computer's registry, such as unistallers and invalid shortcuts. The makers guarantee that it contains no apyware or adware.

CCleaner is one of the more popular system cleansing and optimisation tools available. This is the major v2 release incorporating a number of new enhancements. For instance, the new version is completely re-written and is much faster and analysing and cleansing your system. It ships with a brand new user-interface and is available in a compact version, so you could take it with you on a portable USB stick and use it to cleanse a PC that you've used in a web cafe or other location. Of course, there are also a number of other tweaks and improvements.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 7th Jul, 2010 14:06
Last edited on 7th Jul, 2010 14:15
Mozilla stokes Firefox 4 with first beta build
Alert Print Post comment Retweet Facebook
New look tabs get Windows-only view on world for now
By Kelly Fiveash • Get more from this author

Posted in Applications, 7th July 2010 10:33 GMT
Free whitepaper – Taking control of your data demons: Dealing with unstructured content
Mozilla has released a first beta of Firefox 4, which comes loaded with lots of fresh features and a distinctive new look.

In January the open source browser maker nixed Firefox 3.7 and jumped instead to Firefox 4 in a move to reflect the number of changes it was making to the popular surfing tool.

The current iteration of Firefox is 3.6. Firefox 4 will supersede that later this summer when the finalised code is expected to be released.

“If you are using a Windows PC, the most noticeable new feature will be the look of the browser,” noted Mike Beltzner on Mozilla’s blog.

Read more at:-http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/07/firefox_4_... releases Firefox 4 beta
Also....................
Learning from Chrome
By Edward Berridge
Wed Jul 07 2010, 09:59
THE OPEN SOURCE Mozilla Foundation has released a beta version of its forthcoming Firefox 4 web browser.
The beta of Firebadger version 4 seems to have imitated Google's Chrome browser by putting the tabs on top and providing webpage crash protection features.
The menu bar has been replaced with the Firefox button and you can search for and switch to already open tabs in the Smart Location Bar.
There are improvements to HTML5 support, including native support for Google's HTML5 WebM HD video format for those who want to use the new video standard.
The crash protection function means that whenever Adobe Flash, Apple Quicktime or Microsoft Silverlight plugins go belly-up it will not stuff up the rest of Firefox. Instead, you can simply reload the webpage to restart the plugin and try again.
You can download the beta here, but it is beta software and still a little unstable for production use. µ

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1721079/m...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 7th Jul, 2010 14:26
Hello Mogs!! According to my ISP, there is a major local fault on my line which is stopping me accessing the internet. So if this ends suddenly, you'll know why!!

Your reference to CCleaner, reminds me:

From time to time, I play Lightning Pool on Onemorelevel.com. I've been stuck on level 99 for months and I just can't get past it.

I ran the Cleaner yesterday. Unfortunately, it's removed my Lightning Break scores! So I'll have to start again. Aarggggggggghhhhhhhhh! :0(

But where is the history of such scores stored on my system? I've searched using Lightning Break but have only found the shortbut icon, not the scores. It can't be in the 'temporary internet files' folder because I clean that out regulary and this issue has never happened before.

Does anyone know where I can find that file?

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 7th Jul, 2010 17:39
Thank you, Leendert Kip, for advising that there is a new version of Foxit Reader (v4).

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 7th Jul, 2010 21:19
Last edited on 7th Jul, 2010 21:21
You'll need to download Ghostscript first
Open and place vector images with Scribus
Make the most of vector graphics with this freeware
07 Jul 2010
If you want to import and use high-quality vector images – that is images that don’t lose quality when they are made bigger – from websites such as Vectorstock, you can use the Scribus software to open them and arrange them on a page.

Scribus can be downloaded and installed from here but some extra software is needed before it can import Postscript (PS) and EPS (Adobe Illustrator) files.

Go to the Ghostscript website and click on the download link and then run the file that downloads. Accept all the default options and Scribus should find it automatically the next time it loads.

Click on the File menu, Import and then Import EPS/PS. Locate the file you want to import, click on it once and then click on OK.

littlebrian, Computeractive forum

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 7th Jul, 2010 21:24
Last edited on 7th Jul, 2010 21:25
A zero-day flaw has been found in Windows 2000 and XP
Microsoft investigating Windows 2000 and XP flaw
Secunia sounds warning over boundary error vulnerability
Written by Iain Thomson in San Francisco, V3.co.uk
07 Jul 2010
Danish security firm Secunia has issued an alert over a 'moderately critical' flaw in Windows XP and 2000.

Secunia said in a security advisory that the problem is caused by a boundary error in the CFrameWnd class in mfc42.dll. Exploiting it could allow an attacker to run code execution on a target machine.

"The vulnerability is confirmed in fully patched versions of Windows 2000 Professional SP4 including mfc42.dll version 6.0.9586.0, and Windows XP SP2/SP3 including mfc42.dll version 6.2.4131.0. Other versions may also be affected," said the advisory.

No patch is yet available for the flaw, and Secunia recommends restricting access to applications that allow user-controlled input to be passed to the vulnerable function.

Microsoft said in a Twitter post that it is looking into the problem. "We are investigating reports of a vulnerability in mfc42.dll affecting Windows 2000 and XP. Will update when we have more information," the company said.

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/v3/news/2266038/mi...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wr RE: Off-topic: general tech talk – July 2010.
Contributor 8th Jul, 2010 18:19
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
It is getting tougher, requires more and more careful reading during the install of ad-supported software these days. The Foxit reader install is particularly tricky now because after unticking the Make Ask the default and the Set Ask.com as the homepage, one has to click on the Decline button, not the Accept button, which might lead one to think that the Foxit reader is not going to be installed, but its only for the Ask stuff. After Declining, the install of Foxit Reader proceeds, but, then right at the end there is another box to untick so that the Ebay shortcut is not created and placed on the desktop.

Its getting so that one must wade through an install almost like one is dealing with some malware with the potential to infect, but as far as I can see its not Big Brother, its just a couple corporations with a plan..

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 8th Jul, 2010 23:00
New site helps cut down on cold calls
Thousands sign up to Stay Private website
Single port of call to opt out of junk mail and cold calls
08 Jul 2010
A website set up by Consumer Focus to let people reduce unwanted cold calls and junk mail is proving very popular.

More than 10,000 people have signed up to the independent consumer watchdog’s Stay Private site, which brings together the Direct Marketing Association's various preference services. These include the Telephone Preference Service.

Although it has been possible to opt out of receiving unwanted calls and junk mail online for some time, it was felt that unifying the process into a single site would make it simpler and more efficient.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Jul, 2010 07:06
Activision Blizzard, maker of World of Warcraft and other popular videogames, is drawing fire over its plan to require users of its discussion forums to start posting their real names.
Ads by Google
Android At Vodafone™ - Grab Yourself One Of The Latest Android Phones From Just £15/Month! - Vodafone.co.uk/Android

Blizzard announced on Tuesday that it would begin introducing the "Real ID" feature to its official bulletin boards and the move to require real first and last names has drawn hundreds of comments, most of them negative.
Blizzard said in a blog post that the change was intended to "help improve the quality of conversations and make the forums an even more enjoyable place for players to visit."
"The official forums have always been a great place to discuss the latest info on our games, offer ideas and suggestions, and share experiences with other players," it said.
"However, the forums have also earned a reputation as a place where flame wars, trolling, and other unpleasantness run wild," Blizzard said.
"Removing the veil of anonymity typical to online dialogue will contribute to a more positive forum environment, promote constructive conversations, and connect the Blizzard community in ways they haven't been connected before."
http://www.physorg.com/news197833284.html

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Jul, 2010 07:27
Google Chrome will block out-of-date plug-ins
One-ups Mozilla
By Dan Goodin in San Francisco • Get more from this author

Posted in Applications, 30th June 2010 02:50 GMT
Google will soon prevent insecure versions of plug-ins from running on top of its Chrome browser to make sure they don't contain security bugs that can be exploited by malicious websites.

In a blog post, members of Google's security team said the feature, to be delivered "medium-term," will prevent Chrome from running "certain out-of-date plug-ins." It will also help users find updates.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Jul, 2010 21:54
(CNN) -- Most of the time, Stacey Schlittenhard finds facial recognition technology to be extremely useful. When she uploads her family photos to the website Picasa, for instance, the program automatically tags her friends and family members. This lets her share the photos easily and saves her hours of organization.
But every now and then, the computer gets things flat wrong.
"Babies," she says. "That's the hardest thing. All babies kind of look alike -- they all have little round faces. If I label one baby as my [2-year-old] son, it will label almost every baby as my son."
In another instance, she said, Google's Picasa thought a lollipop was her friend.
As she uses facial recognition programs, Schlittenhard is coming face to face with a fact that has been troubling computer scientists for decades:

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TECH/innovation/07/09/...(RSS:+Technology)& fbid=7-J3KE2ULZa

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Jul, 2010 22:03
Receive event notifications from Facebook and more
Use Growl to set up alerts from programs
Growl sounds alerts when important things happen in applications. Here’s how to get started
09 Jul 2010
Introduction
Lots of computer programs generate notifications. An email application like Outlook, for instance, can display alerts when new messages are received.

The trouble is, in many cases such notifications are only visible when a particular application is in use. Growl overcomes this problem by displaying visible notifications from many popular applications.

It can be used to check emails and RSS feeds, display alerts about events on Facebook, monitor hardwareresources and much more.

Growl’s notifications can take the form of messages, sounds or even emails. Read on to find out how to get started.http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/wor...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Jul, 2010 22:15
Windows Help update stars in MS Patch Tuesday
3 critical, 1 important address 2 zero-days
By John Leyden • Get more from this author

Posted in Enterprise Security, 9th July 2010 09:47 GMT
Microsoft plans to fix a Windows Help and Support Center vulnerability as part of next week's Patch Tuesday update batch.

The flaw, which has been the target of hacking attacks over recent weeks, was disclosed to Microsoft's displeasure by Google engineer Tavis Ormandy last month, in a move to renew the age old debate about responsible disclosure of security flaws.

The critical Windows Help fix is one of a planned release of four updates, three of which earn Microsoft's most severe security rating. A second critical update covers a zero-day flaw in the AERO display driver component of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, which was first publicised back in May.

The two other bulletins - one ranked critical and the other important - cover security vulnerabilities in Microsoft Office

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Jul, 2010 23:03
Dev Channel Update
Friday, July 9, 2010 | 07:24
The Dev channel has been updated to 6.0.458.1 for Windows, Mac and Linux platforms

Stable Channel Update
| 13:50
Labels: Stable updates

Google Chrome 5.0.375.99 has been released to the Stable channel on Linux, Mac, and Windows.

http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 10th Jul, 2010 22:37
Google preps tablet-friendly Chrome that knows 'what's up'
Orientation-oriented OS
By Rik Myslewski in San Francisco • Get more from this author

Posted in Applications, 7th July 2010 15:46 GMT
As part of its effort to graduate its Chrome browser to the upcoming Chrome OS, Google is working to add device orientation to the browser's capabilities.

Not that orientation — the ability for an app or OS to know that up is up and down is down — is all that revolutionary of a breakthrough. Developers have been tapping to that ability on the iPhone (UIDeviceOrientation) and Android-based devices (SensorManager) for some time.

But adding it into the browser itself is another step towards the Google Grail: the browser as operating system.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/07/chrome_ori...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Expert Contributor 10th Jul, 2010 22:37
Google preps tablet-friendly Chrome that knows 'what's up'
Orientation-oriented OS
By Rik Myslewski in San Francisco • Get more from this author

Posted in Applications, 7th July 2010 15:46 GMT
As part of its effort to graduate its Chrome browser to the upcoming Chrome OS, Google is working to add device orientation to the browser's capabilities.

Not that orientation — the ability for an app or OS to know that up is up and down is down — is all that revolutionary of a breakthrough. Developers have been tapping to that ability on the iPhone (UIDeviceOrientation) and Android-based devices (SensorManager) for some time.

But adding it into the browser itself is another step towards the Google Grail: the browser as operating system.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/07/chrome_ori...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+2

donald111

RE: Off-topic: general tech talk – July 2010.
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
Expert Contributor 10th Jul, 2010 23:01
Don't know how that last Chrome post got duplicated! And no chance to edit either !
Glad you find some of the info useful donald. Not a lot of feedback, other than that the thread itself appears to be popular.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 11th Jul, 2010 09:26
Customise the desktop by tweaking the Windows Taskbar
Use and tweak the Windows Taskbar
It’s impossible to use Windows without interacting with the Taskbar. We explain how to use it
Written by Scott Colvey, Computeractive
05 Jul 2010
The Taskbar is a fundamental part of Windows. It runs along the bottom of the screen and provides a way to launch applications or access those programs already running. The Taskbar is also home to the Start button, as well as the Notification Area, where Windows displays a clock and various status and control icons.

Despite its importance, the Taskbar straddles a fine line between being available and inconspicuous. It doesn’t always get this balance right, of course, but is possible to customise it in various ways.

In this article we’ll look at the essentials of Taskbar use and ways it can be tailored for your personal use

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/fea...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 11th Jul, 2010 09:37
Blizzard backs down over gamers using real names

By Maggie Shiels
Technology reporter, BBC News, Silicon Valley

World of Warcraft has more than 11 million monthly subscribers
Following a barrage of criticism, World of Warcraft publisher Blizzard has backed down on the need for gamers to use their real names on its forums.
The firm's about-face comes three days after saying it would introduce the feature as part of its Real ID product.
Blizzard said the intention was to cut down on "flame wars" and heated online arguments started to cause trouble.
Within 24 hours of announcing the plan, Blizzard received more than 1,000 comments, mostly critical.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 11th Jul, 2010 19:50
Change the way your desktop looks
Navigate Windows in three dimensions
Think the Windows Desktop sometimes feels a bit flat? Try a 3D alternative
07 Jun 2010
Introduction
Although rather impressive when it first appeared, the Windows Desktop hasn’t evolved much over the years. Microsoft has made several attempts to update the interface but most of them have flopped; and even those that tried to mimic a real life desk didn’t find many fans.

However, this hasn’t discouraged others from trying to find new ways to present the Windows Desktop.

In this Workshop we’ll look at Bumptop, a program that turns the Desktop into a 3D cubicle. It’s easy to use and doesn’t interfere with the Windows setup at any fundamental level. Here’s how to get started.

Click here to go to Bumptop's website.

Read more at:=
http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/wor...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 12th Jul, 2010 08:35
For those who don't use the Automatic Update process, here is more on Microsoft's Security Update, due out tomorrow:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin...

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 12th Jul, 2010 15:50
Avoid the online scam traps
How to recognise and avoid online scams
We reveal the tricks of the fraudster’s trade and show you how to avoid scams
Written by Julian Prokaza, Computeractive
12 Jul 2010
Today, it’s almost impossible to spend any time online without encountering someone looking to swindle you out of a few quid and scams now pose a greater online threat than hackers ever did.

After all, why bother trying to crack a computer’s defences by force when you can just trick someone into willingly giving away their online banking credentials?

This kind of confidence trick lies at the heart of all scams, online or otherwise, and knowing how to spot them is the best way to avoid falling for it.

advertisement

Read on to find out more about the 10 most common computer scams and learn how to avoid them.

Cold-call cons
Paying someone to fix a non-existent fault is one of the oldest tricks in the book. For computer users, the scam often starts with an unsolicited phone call from someone claiming to be from a technical support company.

Lots more at :-

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/fea...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 12th Jul, 2010 15:53
The i386 folder can be used to make a recovery disc
Should you delete the i386 folder?
What should you do with the i386 folder?
12 Jul 2010
Q Why do I have a folder called i386 on my computer? It must have been imported with updates and I think it is intended for a sinister purpose. PC World advised me not to delete it but why I should keep it? It is also quite large.

George Blanchard

A This folder contains all the files that would otherwise be supplied on a Windows disc and can be used to make a disc to recover the computer in the event of a serious problem. We also recommend that you leave this folder alone.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 12th Jul, 2010 18:15
SOS! Does anyone know where games*** data is stored, please?

**( e.g. your stored scores on an online game such as onemorelevel.com/lightning break pool)

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 13th Jul, 2010 18:17
First time I've had to use the Chrome Help Forum !
My Dev Channel Chrome version 6.0.458.1 has recently started crashing every time I try to sign out of my e mail account.
Anybody got any experience of a similar occurrence? Any help ?
Thanks in anticipation !

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 13th Jul, 2010 18:27
China seeks to reduce Internet users' anonymity
July 13, 2010 By ANITA CHANG , Associated Press Writer
(AP) -- A leading Chinese Internet regulator has vowed to reduce anonymity in China's portion of cyberspace, calling for new rules to require people to use their real names when buying a mobile phone or going online, according to a human rights group.

In an address to the national legislature in April, Wang Chen, director of the State Council Information Office, called for perfecting the extensive system of censorship the government uses to manage the fast-evolving Internet, according to a text of the speech obtained by New York-based Human Rights in China.
China's regime has a complicated relationship with the freewheeling Internet, reflected in its recent standoff with Google over censorship of search results. China this week confirmed it had renewed Google's license to operate, after it agreed to stop automatically rerouting users to its Hong Kong site, which is not subject to China's online censorship.

http://www.physorg.com/news198235911.html

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 13th Jul, 2010 18:34
Editor's note: Scott Steinberg is the head of technology and video game consulting firm TechSavvy Global, as well as the founder of GameExec magazine and Game Industry TV. He frequently appears as an on-air technology analyst for ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and CNN. His most recent book is "Get Rich Playing Games."
(CNN) -- Downloading games straight to your favorite handheld or set-top video game system has quickly emerged as one of the simplest, most wallet-friendly ways to get the most from your gaming dollar.
But while console owners are confined to dedicated online shopping services such as PlayStation Network, Xbox Live and WiiWare, PC owners have a broader selection of virtual vendors from which to pick. Below, you'll find four of my favorites, all of which let you instantly browse, purchase and enjoy hundreds of amazing titles from yesteryear and today without having to get off the couch.

See them at :-http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TECH/gaming.gadgets/07...(RSS:+Technology )&fbid=JScNPTCMAeQ

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 13th Jul, 2010 18:40

Q.
My Windows Vista PC always seems slow and I think my graphics card may not be quite powerful enough to handle it smoothly. Is there a way to speed things up?

A.
Windows Vista has about 20 different slick visual enhancements in its user interface — including animations that show windows minimizing or maximizing, gentle shadows under onscreen elements and the ability to display thumbnail preview images of files instead of the old-fashioned cartoony icons used in earlier versions of Windows.

But while all these special effects make the system look good on screen, they may be taking their toll behind the scenes as the computer’s graphics card and processor work hard to display them all. Fortunately, you can turn all or just some of them off within the system Control Panel to ease the load on your hardware.

To do so, go to the Start menu to Control Panel. Choose System and Maintenance and then select Performance Information and Tools. Choose the Adjust Visual Effects option and type in your Windows Administrator password if asked for it.

In the Performance Options box, click on the Visual Effects tab. Here, you can choose to turn off all or just some of the animations, shadows and other pretty elements to see if your computer performs better without the window dressing.

If your Vista machine is still a bit pokey, Microsoft has other suggestions for giving it a little boost.
http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/13/q-a...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 13th Jul, 2010 18:47
CEOP is ofering a panic button to help protect younger Facebook users
Facebook agrees to add 'panic' button for teenagers
Social networking site lets child protection agency offer users an app to link to its site
12 Jul 2010
Facebook users in the UK can download a tool that offers direct access to the Child Exploitation and Online Protection (CEOP) website.

The app is aimed especially at the age groups 13 to 18 years, but anyone can use it to get internet safety advice and also directly report instances of suspected grooming or inappropriate sexual behaviour.

The application, which can be bookmarked or added to ‘Favourites’ when downloaded, will be backed by a new CEOP page that, when ‘liked’, hopes to encourage young people to help raise the profile of online safety.

The move is also being supported by extensive advertising on Facebook that will encourage use of the application by younger users.

This will include an automatic message appearing on every homepage of Facebook members aged between 13 to 18 years inviting them to add the application.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 13th Jul, 2010 18:51
Not rated yet
Rate this downloadPrice:£Free Number of downloads:
Tile World is a remake of the game Chip's Challenge, in which the player has to collect computer chips from levels full of puzzles that have been set by his girlfriend. Early tasks are simple: such as retrieving red keys to open red doors, but they become far more complex, with disappearing floors and enemies to avoid.

It should be noted that Tile World is an emulation of the original game only and does not include the levels from it for copyright reasons. There are instructions in the Readme file explaining how to import these.

This download is the Windows version. The Linux version can be downloaded from here.

Read more: http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/dow...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 13th Jul, 2010 21:20

Get Google Chrome Frame (Beta)
It's free and installs in seconds.
For Internet Explorer 6, 7, and 8
on Windows 7 / Vista / XP SP2.
Related links
Download Google Chrome.
Contribute to the Chromium project.
Featured video

Enable open web technologies in Internet Explorer
Google Chrome Frame is an open source plug-in that seamlessly brings Google Chrome's open web technologies and speedy JavaScript engine to Internet Explorer. With Google Chrome Frame, you can:
Start using open web technologies - like the HTML5 canvas tag - right away, even technologies that aren't yet supported in Internet Explorer 6, 7, or 8.
Take advantage of JavaScript performance improvements to make your apps faster and more responsive.
Get started with Google Chrome Frame
Enabling Google Chrome Frame is simple. For most web pages, all you have to do is add a single tag to your pages and detect whether your users have installed Google Chrome Frame.
If Google Chrome Frame is not installed, you can direct your users to an installation page.
If Google Chrome Frame is installed, it detects the tag you added and works automatically.
For more information, read our Getting Started Guide.

http://code.google.com/chrome/chromeframe/

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Off-topic: general tech talk – July 2010.
Expert Contributor 14th Jul, 2010 22:41
Score: 2427
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A

Mogs ,

Fy sianel Dev Chrome yn rhedeg yn llyfn. Yn fy mhrofiad i, yn parhau yn chwilfriwio fel arfer i lawr i estyniad "/ adia-ar" dod ansefydlogrwydd. Ar un Cooliris pryd oedd yn wobbler mawr, ond nid wyf wedi rhedeg yn ddiweddar.

My Dev channel Chrome is running very smoothly . In my experience , continued crashing is usually down to an "extension/add-on" bringing instability . At one time Cooliris was a major wobbler ; but I haven't run it recently .

Well , at least Google translate did OK with "Dev Chrome" and "Cooliris" ; I'm less sure about a cheese for recently , I mean it's not "Caerphilly" is it now :(((

Take care
Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 14th Jul, 2010 23:36
Last edited on 15th Jul, 2010 01:45
Thanks Anthony...yeah I'd read that elsewhere too; about crashing being caused by extentions; and I have recently installed another...so there's a good chance it might be that...I''ll have to look at it more closely. Other than that..when I sign out of my e mail account; it's running like the proverbial (can't think what!)...charm, clock or dream ! Theweather or the Cheddar...Caerphilly..too dry and crumbly...I do like a nice piece of Gruyere !!! All the best mate !

PS. Have since temporarily uninstalled all extentions...still crashing at sign out of e mail account.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 15th Jul, 2010 07:49

Registry errors can cause many problems, starting from computer slowdowns to system hanging and crashes. Auslogics is proud to offer one of the most stable and reliable registry cleaners available on the market. It is designed for fixing and repairing the Windows Registry and is absolutely FREE!

Why use Auslogics Registry Cleaner?
Fixing registry errors helps to avoid system crashes.
Registry cleanup will speed up your computer.
Auslogics Registry Cleaner is recommended by industry experts.
It is safe to use as all changes are backed up and can be easily restored.
This is one of the most popular registry cleaners on the Internet.
It is absolutely FREE!

Causes of Registry Errors
Windows Registry is a database that stores crucial settings and options of the Microsoft Windows operating system. Registry entries are created for each application and driver installed on your computer. When running, a program may access the Registry thousands of times per second.
Just like any other database, the Registry becomes a real mess without proper maintenance. When you uninstall programs, invalid entries can be left behind and cause various errors. As a result your computer slows down, starts freezing, and crashing. That's why it's very important to clean the Registry regularly.

"The thought of all those errors collecting......from my experience, a minimum of about 35 a week....would give me the eebeegeebees and the screaming abdabs...it might even start to affect my typing !!!" Mogs

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/registry-clea...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 15th Jul, 2010 08:00
I thought about reverting to the Stable or Beta Chrome this morning, but Dev Channel is running superbly in every other way. It would be wrong to consign it to the Recycle bin, when it might not even be it's fault. Then of course Crash Reports are automatically sent...the information may prove to be of value in making Chrome even better in the future. I've decided to live with it for the time being or until the next release. It's not a big headache, as it usually happens when I'm signing out anyrate.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 15th Jul, 2010 09:13
CNN) -- The Sunday morning service at Fellowship Church in Dallas, Texas, was humming along with hymns and prayers when something unusual happened.
The lights in the sanctuary suddenly dimmed, and members of the church hushed as they peered at a pulpit shrouded in darkness. The parishioners then erupted in cheers and whistles as Ed Young Sr., the church's senior pastor, emerged from the darkness with a microphone in hand.
"Please be seated, be seated," Young said as he grabbed the Bible. "How are you guys doing today? Doing well?"
Young delivered his sermon, but he couldn't hear or see his congregation respond: He wasn't physically there.
Young's parishioners were instead looking at a high-def video image of their pastor beamed into their sanctuary from a "mother" church in Grapevine, Texas.
Young is part of a new generation of pastors who can be in two places at one time. They are using technology -- high-def videos, and even holograms -- to beam their Sunday morning sermons to remote "satellite" churches that belong to their congregation.

" I thought I'd save this one for reading on Sunday....but then I thought.." No! I don't know if I'll be here to post !" Mogs

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 15th Jul, 2010 09:24
A cookie is a small file stored on your computer by a web browser
What are tracking cookies on my computer?
Anti-virus programs can detect tracking cookies on your PC, but what are they and what do they do?
14 Jul 2010
Q Every time I run a security scan with my anti-virus program, it reports a number of tracking cookies on my computer, with names such as ‘John@double-click.net’. Should I be concerned that these are appearing on my PC, and is there any way I can stop them?

John Fullerton

A A cookie is a small file stored on your computer by a web browser, that contains information about your visit to a specific website. It might hold details about when you last viewed the website, your viewing preferences, or products you recently clicked on.

It may also record your IP address, the time of your visit and the browser you use. Cookies are harmless, since they are no more than a text file, and without them some aspects of the web, such as shopping carts, would not work properly.

Read a bit more at :-http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/q-a...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 15th Jul, 2010 14:26
Last edited on 15th Jul, 2010 14:28
2010, 12:45
OPEN SOURCE WEB BROWSER outfit Mozilla has yanked a Firefox add-on due to security concerns.
The Mozilla Sniffer add-on ended up on the Firefox Add-On Gallery, a showcase for applications that extend the functionality of the popular web browser. The application has since been pulled after it was found out that Mozilla Sniffer was in fact, a keystroke logger.
It should be noted that the insecurity lies with the add-on rather than the browser itself, with Mozilla saying "Uninstalling the add-on stops this behaviour." It also recommends that "Anybody who has installed this add-on should change their passwords as soon as possible."
Mozilla confirm that the application had been downloaded over 1,800 times and apparently 334 users actively participated in furnishing the developer with passwords. The software outfit will be sending out notifications to those who are using it warning of the dangers and urging them to ditch the software.
It represents an embarrassment for Mozilla, which is facing increasing competition in the browser market from Google, Apple, Opera and even Microsoft. Mozilla claims that the keylogger add-on was not vetted by its
engineers prior to being uploaded to its site.
This sorry episode will, hopefully, jolt the Mozilla project's quality control operation into action as Firefox is built on the premise that it provides a secure alternative to the liability that is Microsoft's Internet Explorer.

Read at :-
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1722826/m...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 15th Jul, 2010 14:48
Popular apps don't bother with Windows defences
No belt, no braces

Posted in Enterprise Security, 2nd July 2010 10:15 GMT
Many popular software applications have avoided including security protection mechanisms built into the latest versions of Windows. The omission leaves these applications at greater risk of hacker attack, according to a study by security patching and notification firm Secunia.

Two key security mechanisms in Windows - DEP (Data Execution Prevention) and ASLR (Address Space Layout Randomization) - are designed to make it hard for hackers to develop reliable exploits even in cases where security bugs are present in Windows applications. DEP, first added to Windows with XP Service Pack 2 in August 2004, is designed to prevent the execution of writable memory. ASLR, which debuted with Vista, further complicates the process of creating reliable exploits.

A lot more at:-

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/02/win_app_se...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 15th Jul, 2010 14:52
Last edited on 15th Jul, 2010 14:56
Wrong entry.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 15th Jul, 2010 15:17
The BBC news site has had a bit of a facelift since last I visited !! I like it....but then I began with one channel on my father's first Pilot (OEM) telly.
Those were the days...The Flowerpot Men etcetera....you could still see the strings on some of the puppets !!!
Now I'm a regular visitor , but more than monthly, to the new Beta iPlayer....way back then I was first curious 'bout nature progs....Armand and Michaela Denis....I still tend to watch the Factual progs...but so much choice !!

Very little advertising Maurice !!! Ha!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 15th Jul, 2010 20:52
Well,as you can see Anthony; had to give up on the Dev for now. The crashes increased and at the last, it was crashing at load. I noticed what seemed to be a couple of strange things, whilst trying to resolve...in About Chrome it was showing the Dev version no. but with beta after the number. Checked with the release site and couldn't verify it ! After that I cleared it out with Revo and tried the Stable version....that was crashing too. Now, I've reverted to the beta with no problems at all, apart from the fact that all my bookmarks are in a mess !!
What's it like in France ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 15th Jul, 2010 21:50

Hi Mogs ,

Wel, mae'n hynod o boeth o hyd (yn awyr las, haul llachar), felly mae'n pinc "aperos" (Gris de Gris mewn gwirionedd - yn arbenigedd lleol - a Merlot braf i orffen (fel yn awr:)) Os ydych yn hoffi Gruyere (Ffrangeg neu fersiwn Swistir), byddwch wrth eich bodd Beaufort (y fersiwn Ffrangeg heb-Holey:)) blasus!

% Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruy A8re_% C3 (caws)

Fy sianel Dev Chrome 6.0.458.1 yn # dev ac yn ffaglu i ffwrdd. Yr wyf wedi Yulia Brodskaya thema ('n sylweddol oera a lliwgar), y * Fewn-blygiau arferol a AdBlock, IE bwyntil a GMail checker yn unig fel estyniadau **. Fel y dywedais mellt yn gyflym ac yn marw sefydlog.

* Defnyddio darllenydd PDF embedded, yn hytrach na Adobe.

** Yr wyf yn rhoi'r holl deniadol ac ar Firefox ar gyfer gosod yn ôl yn pori.

Mae'r safle BBC yn darllen yn dda iawn 'n chwim / diweddaru ac adran chwaraeon da - cyn belled ag y byddwch yn cofio "nad ydynt yn credu popeth yr ydych yn darllen yn y papurau".

BTW, Fi 'n arferol yn cael bookmarks bacia i fyny ffeilia at reimport, ond hefyd yn cael fy Ff rhestru a fy rhestr Google Toolbar; mae'r olaf yn ddefnyddiol gan ei fod yn cadw "yn y cymylau" gan Google ac yn anodd i'w golli.

Mae'r defo chwilfriwio ymddangos i fod allan o'ch system / sefydlu. Pam na sefydlu Beta a versions Dev dan A wahân / C ac yna gallech gwastraff oriau eu cymharu:))

Well it's incredibly hot still (was blue sky , bright sun) , so it's pink "aperos" (Gris de Gris actually - a local speciality - and a nice Merlot to finish (as in now :)) If you like Gruyère (French or Swiss version) , you'll love Beaufort (the French un-holey version :)) yummy !!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruy%C3%A8re_(cheese)

My Dev channel Chrome is # 6.0.458.1 dev and is blazing away . I have Yulia Brodskaya's theme (really cool and colourful) , the usual Plug-ins* and AdBlock , IE tab and GMail checker only as extensions** . Like I said lightening fast and dead stable .

* using the embedded PDF reader , rather than Adobe's .

**I put all the bells and whistles on Firefox for laid back browsing .

The BBC site is a very good quick read/update and a good sports section - as long as you remember "don't believe everything you read in the papers" .

BTW , I usually have a back up bookmarks file to reimport , but also have my Ff listing and my Google Toolbar listing ; the latter is handy as it's kept "in the clouds" by Google and difficult to lose .

The crashing defo seems to be out of your system/set up . Why not set up the Beta and Dev versions under separate A/C's and then you could waste hours comparing them :))

Bonne Soirée

Anthony

PS : Google translate doesn't do "è" in French cheese - only natural , isn't it ?!

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 16th Jul, 2010 21:27
Got the Dev back today, hooray....I'd gotten so used to some aspects of it; I didn't sleep too well last night !!! Got the James White theme...just for a change...the one I had previously isn't available. Had the space vehicle for a while....with the "if it fails" scribble....quite liked that.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 16th Jul, 2010 23:32
can install itself from USB key
Sophos finds malware vulnerability in Windows
Malware appears designed to exploit how Windows handles .LNK shortcut files
16 Jul 2010
Sophos is reporting a vulnerability in Windows that will allow malicious software to run automatically on a PC even if Windows Autoplay and Autorun features have been disabled.

The security company said the Stuxnet rootkit can install itself automatically from a USB memory stick even if a PC is fully patched.

Read more: http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/new...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 16th Jul, 2010 23:54
Mozilla raises its bug bounty

$3,000 available for bounty hunters
By David Neal
Fri Jul 16 2010, 15:40
OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE HOUSE Mozilla has upped the bounty it offers to anyone that discovers a bug in its software.
In a blog post Mozilla said that the evolving threat landscape had lead it to raise its reward to $3,000 in order to "better support constructive security research".
The security bounty program was launched in 2004, and according to Lucas Adamski, director of security engineering at Mozilla, the financial reward is not the only thing that has changed.
"A lot has changed in the 6 years since the Mozilla program was announced, and we believe that one of the best way to keep our users safe is to make it economically sustainable for security researchers to do the right thing when disclosing information," he explained.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 16th Jul, 2010 23:58
Firefox 4 Beta 2 is coming soon

Tabs on top for Mac OS X
By Spencer Dalziel
Fri Jul 16 2010, 12:17
MOZILLA IS GOING to put out Firefox 4 Beta 2 next week, it claims.
The Firefox 4 team released Beta 1 in the first week in July and must have been beavering away like, er, beavers to get this done. It posted a set of meeting notes online with a notice schedule to have Firefox 4 Beta 2 shipped around 22 July.
The discussion points around Beta 2 involved the Add-Ons Manager UI, CSS transitions and the fact there are currently too many blockers.
However the biggest talking point is the new tabs system. Firefox 4 will include the same tabs on top interface for Mac OS X users that Mozilla gave Windows punters a couple of weeks ago.
Most Firefox users will be happy with the change and other web browsers have done a similar tab system. But Mozilla's Alex Faaborg was forced to put together a short video to keep some disgruntled Firefox fans happy.
Faaborg said the tabs are on top because that best suits web applications.
"Recently modern browsers have been transitioning to placing tabs on top, and that decision isn't arbitrary, it isn't about fashion," he insisted.
"The change to placing tabs on top isn't about one browser versus another browser, it's about the evolution of the Web as a platform."

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: Off-topic: general tech talk – July 2010.
Contributor 17th Jul, 2010 02:02
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
Hi;

It has been suggested that I might come to this thread to offer suggestions, tip and experiences of mine. As I have no topic of my own, might someone suggest one?

In the mean time the only remotely technical tip that comes to mind is this:

If enjoying a joke on the R&C thread, be certain to have any open work on your computer saved. If the joke is really, really good, you run the risk of kicking the plug out of the outlet, crashing your computer and loosing your unsaved work.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Expert Contributor 17th Jul, 2010 10:45
I've run your last post thro' my planctum-filtering whale's brain Fred....try as I may, I just can't see the joke this time....I really don't think it's your best effort.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 17th Jul, 2010 11:21
all this is food for thought. I would add though that Post/View ratio (see Relax & Chat) is the wrong way to judge any thread.

For example:

PSI Auto-Update Technology Preview 30 posts / 5099 views

Windows Firewall: 32 posts / 443 views

and, if these fact are correct:

Acrobat Reader / Acrobat Multiple Vulnerabilities 10 posts / 13,777 views!

In my humble opinion, the low ratios do not mean that the threads concerned are irrevant/uninportant etc. Far from it.

Between them, Relax & Chat and Off-Topic have had over 1300 views in just over a fortnight. Mogs' excellent "breaking news/latest news" aren't really intended to result in a post - it's simply to keep members up to date.

Having said that, both he & I recognise that the threads should continue to evolve and improve. To help us achieve that we need members' input so thank you all for that. More input from more members please!

Suggestions have been made to Secunia so . . . watch this space!

Copy posted in Off-Topic.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 17th Jul, 2010 15:24
If you were laughing so hard as to not notice you unplugged your computer by kicking your feet? Never mind. Just trying to lighten the mood.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 17th Jul, 2010 15:40
the real joke, Fred, is that we never know if our jokes posted here make people laugh, cry or angry! Have a good weekend.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 17th Jul, 2010 18:04

Next Previous Blog home
Adobe updates Flash against security flaw - but watch out for the extras
Last week's security warnings are obviated by the new download - but mind you don't get saddled with unwanted anti-virus on the way
Following last week's warnings about a serious security vulnerability in Flash, Adobe has posted version 10.1 of its player - which seems to fix the vulnerability. If you're using Flash (and that's pretty much everyone except you iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad users), then you should update.

There's some explanation of how to do that too at Microsoft's Clubhouse ("the place to have some fun by showing others what you know about Windows and to learn new tricks and tips every day" - no exclamation mark included, apparently). There we note some of the sneakier stuff involved in getting you to update your system:

"If you use the Adobe Flash Player Download Center, be careful to UNCHECK the box shown below. It is not needed for the Flash Player update!"

Flash update pushes McAfee unless you untick the box. Classy.
Sneaky, that - trying to get you to install McAfee Security Scan Plus when all you actually want is an update of Flash.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th Jul, 2010 15:50
Microsoft confirms 'nasty' Windows zero-day bug
But it won't patch the vulnerability for Windows XP SP2 or Windows 2000

By Gregg Keizer
July 17, 2010 04:25 PM ETComments (3)Recommended (10)

Computerworld - Microsoft on Friday warned that attackers are exploiting a critical unpatched Windows vulnerability using infected USB flash drives.

The bug admission is the first that affects Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) since Microsoft retired the edition from support, researchers said. When Microsoft does fix the flaw, it will not be providing a patch for machines still running XP SP2. Read more at :- http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9179299/Mic...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th Jul, 2010 16:25
Using computers to teach children with no teachers
By Jonathan Fildes
Technology reporter, BBC News, Oxford

The original experiment let children interact with a PC via a hole in a wall
A 10-year experiment that started with Indian slum children being given access to computers has produced a new concept for education, a conference has heard.

Professor Sugata Mitra first introduced children in a Delhi slum to computers in 1999.

He has watched the children teach themselves - and others - how to use the machines and gather information.

Follow up experiments suggest children around the world can learn complex tasks quickly with little supervision.

"I think we have stumbled across a self-organising system with learning as an emergent behaviour," he told the TED Global (Technology, Entertainment and Design) conference.

"Is it too late for us...we bicker too much ?" Mogs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10663353

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 19th Jul, 2010 09:59
Booming Demand for TV on the Internet in China
By DAVID BARBOZA

China Curbs ‘Vulgar’ Reality TV Show (July 19, 2010)
Every month, about 300 million people in China are using a computer to watch Chinese TV dramas, Japanese and Korean sitcoms, and even American films and television series like “Twilight” and “Gossip Girl.” Live streaming of the recent World Cup also drew a huge online audience.

Analysts say young people in China are even starting to favor free laptop-viewing over TV sets, in part as a way to make an end run around regulators, who often bar state-run TV networks from broadcasting shows that do not meet the approval of the Communist Party.

It is a momentous shift in viewing habits that has not gone unnoticed by the authorities in Beijing. They are tightening oversight of online video sites and also pushing state-run television networks to form their own Internet TV sites in an effort to retain control over what viewers can watch online.http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/19/business/global/...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 19th Jul, 2010 10:20
The scam always starts the same way: the phone rings at someone's home, and the caller – usually with an Indian accent – asks for the householder, quoting their name and address before saying "I'm calling for Microsoft. We've had a report from your internet service provider of serious virus problems from your computer."

Worth reading more at ? http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/18/phone-...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 19th Jul, 2010 19:32
just out of interest, is what is shown in the Opera Browser & Avant Browser threads (links below), real codes?

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/478...

and

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/479...

As I said, just out of interest - I've neither the inclination, personality nor knowledge to be a hacker!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 19th Jul, 2010 21:28
Hi taffy.
I was rather surprised that your posts didn't generate any response this morning from Emil/Morten....if only to allay any fears and clarify. Maybe the content is still being examined ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 19th Jul, 2010 21:46
Flaw could expose 'millions' of home routers
Alert
Rebind variant plays Jedi mind trick on home comms kit

Posted in Malware, 19th July 2010 15:50 GMT
Millions of household routers are susceptible to a flaw that creates a handy means for hackers to hijack surfing sessions or hack into home networks.

Craig Heffner, a researcher at security consultancy Seismic, is due to detail the flaw and release a proof-of-concept tool at the Black Hat conference in Vegas later this month. The DNS rebinding-related security flaw affects kit from Linksys Belkin and Dell, among others

Could be worth reading more at :-

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/19/home_route...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 19th Jul, 2010 23:01
Last edited on 19th Jul, 2010 23:13
on 19th Jul, 2010 19:32, taffy078 wrote:
just out of interest, is what is shown in the Opera Browser & Avant Browser threads (links below), real codes?...

Java script:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaScript

You'll just have to read for yourself. Way to much info to explain here, I don't get it all either. I have only the briefest understanding of this subject.

Spoofing:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoofing_attack

Evidently, the address bar of these browsers is 'spoofed', redirecting from your URL that you typed in to an unwanted one. Presumably to cause harm or steal information.

Some of Pouya Daneshmand's other work:
> http://www.hack0wn.com/profile.php?author=Pouya%20...
> http://osvdb.org/creditees/4864-pouya-daneshmand

Evidently, Pouya Daneshmand, is a known researcher, that is a new poster to our forum. He has come into the picture recently. Without alot of research, it appears his published work is less than two years old. Unless you have personal knowledge of Mr. Daneshmand's work, caution is advised.

You always should use caution when 'testing' exploits and never on a 'live' machine, never connected to a network, only on a test bed (one that is used for anything besides testing exploits, for that matter).

No doubt, caveat emptor regarding this.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 19th Jul, 2010 23:14
Fred - I've just searched on BING *** for Pouya Daneshmand. He seems to have discovered quite a few vulnerabilities but Bing, Norton & WOT again all show many of the sites where he's quoted as being unsafe/a danger.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Pouya+Daneshmand&src=...

Goodnight Fred / Mogs

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 19th Jul, 2010 23:38
Hi taf;

The short answer is they are.

Not intentionally, of course. The codes & scripts on their pages are the 'nasties' us normal people do everything in our power to avoid. Also, stop to think, these are the whistle blowers or (to use a modern term) the narcs. If hackers want to 'get' anyone it is these folks. Their web sites 'could' be dangerous.

Another thing to consider, is someone breaking a hack or causing a hack? These people know more about some programs (like these browsers, for example) than the people who wrote the code in the first place. There have been instances in the past where the person breaking the hack started it. Quite a grey area.

This is a couple of reasons I advise, unless you are an expert or have special knowledge of one of these guys, leave their work alone. Don't even think of trying it on your own machine.

Be smart;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 20th Jul, 2010 22:30
Adobe to beef up PDF security with Reader sandboxing
Will isolate processes in Reader 10 later this year to block malware execution

By Gregg Keizer
July 20, 2010 11:00 AM ETComments (2)Recommended (2)

Computerworld - Adobe Systems Inc. today announced that it will harden the next version of its popular Reader PDF viewer, a frequent target of attacks, by adding "sandboxing" technology to the software.

Sandboxing, perhaps best known for its use in Google Inc.'s Chrome browser, isolates processes from one another and the rest of the machine, preventing or hindering malicious code from escaping an application to wreak havoc or infect the computer.

Previously, security experts had said that sandboxing Reader would be a smart move by Adobe as it struggled to lock down the program and prevent vulnerabilities from being exploited by hackers.

More at :-
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9179403/Ado...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 20th Jul, 2010 22:37
Google discovers Chrome can (really) block ads
AdBlock add-on of Firefox proportions
By Cade Metz in San Francisco • Get more from this author

Posted in Applications, 20th July 2010 18:31 GMT
Google Chrome now includes the ability to completely block resources from loading inside the browser, and the latest incarnation of the AdBlock extension for Chrome is using this "beforeload" event to not only hide ads from the user but prevent them from downloading entirely.

This brings the Chrome AdBlock extension in line with its namesake, the popular AdBlock Plus add-on for Firefox. Read more at:- http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/20/chrome_doe...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 21st Jul, 2010 08:15
thank you, Mogs, for your interesting & very relevant post about Adobe Reader.

If it turns out to be 100% effective, it should eliminate many of the problems raised weekly in PSI.

Until it's hacked again, of course!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 21st Jul, 2010 09:29
IE and Safari lets attackers steal user names and addresses
Alert
Ripe for the picking, researcher says

Posted in Security, 20th July 2010 21:15 GMT
The Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari browsers are susceptible to attacks that allow webmasters to glean highly sensitive information about the people visiting their sites, including their full names, email addresses, location, and even stored passwords, a security researcher says.

In a talk scheduled for next week's Black Hat security conference in Las Vegas, Jeremiah Grossman, CTO of White Hat Security, plans to detail critical weaknesses that are enabled by default in the browsers, which are the four biggest by market share. The vulnerabilities have yet to be purged by the respective browser makers despite months, and in some cases, years of notice.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/20/browser_in...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 21st Jul, 2010 09:34
ProgDVB Size: 9.4MB
Rate this downloadPrice:Free (Pro version available) Number of downloads:
Broadcasting is changing to digital and the UK’s existing analogue service is set to be switched off by 2012. We’re promised more channels, high-definition content and exciting new services.

While many people will simply choose a set-top box, digital TV and the PCare natural bedfellows, allowing you to use the PC to record programmes and put it at the heart of an entertainment system.

Take a look around PC stores, though, and you’ll get the impression that where TV on your PC is concerned, terrestrial reception is the only game in town, with analogue or Freeview (DVB-T) tuners easily available. But what if you want channels that aren’t available on Freeview, or you’re in one of the many areas where you can’t even get a decent signal?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 21st Jul, 2010 11:03

Tue Jul 20 2010, 13:31
DELL HAS LAUNCHED A tailored version of Firefox 3.6 that it claims will make for safer web browsing.
Dell teamed up with system management company Kace to build its virtualised version of Firefox and imaginatively titled it Secure Browser.
In theory, Dell's Secure Browser contains any downloaded malware within the browser itself, which should keep the OS and hardware secure. You see, it does what it says on the tin. This means it's easier to clean up a vulnerable system as Secure Browser effectively resets the software state with an undo function.
More at :-
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1723439/d...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 21st Jul, 2010 13:51
How to get rid of OpinionSpy / PremierOpinion's spyware from your Mac
The newly-discovered adware - though it's really spyware - takes root permissions and relaunches if you kill it. Nasty. (updated)

Comments (5)

If you've ever seen this screen, you've got the PremierOpinion spyware on your machine. Here's how to remove it.

Advice for Windows users also available at :-http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/askjack/2010/...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 21st Jul, 2010 21:29
Twitter 'funniest video' link hides malware threat
Scores of zombie accounts on the social network are being used to try to install a banking and keylogging Trojan - and many have fallen victim already. Read the full article at :- http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2010/may...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 21st Jul, 2010 22:16
Microsoft issues stopgap fix for critical Windows flaw
Alert
'Fix It' for ailing shortcut vuln

Posted in Security, 21st July 2010 19:53 GMT
Microsoft has published an automated workaround for the newly discovered Windows vulnerability that criminals are exploiting to seize control of computers, including some used to manage sensitive equipment at power plants and other industrial facilities.

The software giant began distributing the Fix It on Tuesday evening, five days after the vulnerability in every supported version of Windows became widely known. It automatically changes operating-system settings to protect users until a permanent patch is available. Previously, users had to make the changes manually, a process that risked bricking a PC in the event it wasn't carried out correctly.
More to read....and a warning, at :-

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/21/microsoft_...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 22nd Jul, 2010 09:16
Microsoft on Tuesday said that hackers could exploit the unpatched Windows shortcut vulnerability using drive-by download attacks that would trigger an infection when people simply surf to a malicious Web site.

A noted vulnerability researcher today confirmed that such attacks are possible.

In the revised security advisory published yesterday Microsoft acknowledged the new attack vector.

"An attacker could also set up a malicious Web site or a remote network share and place the malicious components on this remote location," the company said in the advisory. "When the user browses the Web site using a Web browser such as Internet Explorer or a file manager such as Windows Explorer, Windows will attempt to load the icon of the shortcut file, and the malicious binary will be invoked."

See the full story at:-
http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/354052/mic...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 22nd Jul, 2010 09:46
Type: freeware Platform: Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Vista 64-bit Manufacturer:Grisoft Inc Size: 89MB
Rate this downloadPrice:Free for personal use Number of downloads:
AVG continues to be one of the most popular free antivirus programs available on the internet and it maintains this position with a combination of effective protection and an easy to use interface.

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 9 improves on both areas, and is an essential upgrade, as updates will be stopped for the previous version. If you already have AVG installed it is best to click on the upgrade option when it is offered. If you have never installed it before, this is the download to use. We would recommend disconnecting from the internet during installation as there will a period where there is no protection

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 22nd Jul, 2010 09:57
A very popular download; also available at :-
http://www.piriform.com Piriform Ltd Size: 3.3MB
Just as regular exercise is good for your health, a regular workout for your hard disk is recommended. Windows has its own tools for doing this, but CCleaner makes a slightly better job of it.

The application is free to use and shows the door to all kinds of temporary files, from temporary internet files to old automatic back-ups from application such as Office XP and file sharing software. It also shakes out old entries from your computer's registry, such as unistallers and invalid shortcuts. The makers guarantee that it contains no apyware or adware.

CCleaner is one of the more popular system cleansing and optimisation tools available. This is the major v2 release incorporating a number of new enhancements. For instance, the new version is completely re-written and is much faster and analysing and cleansing your system. It ships with a brand new user-interface and is available in a compact version, so you could take it with you on a portable USB stick and use it to cleanse a PC that you've used in a web cafe or other location. Of course, there are also a number of other tweaks and improvements.

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/vnunet/downloads/2...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 22nd Jul, 2010 10:20
Dev Channel Update
Wednesday, July 21, 2010 | 17:07
The Dev channel has been updated to 6.0.472.0 for Windows, Chrome Frame, and Linux. A Mac release will follow soon.

All
[r52790] Chromium stops saving files for any large downloads (Issue 49216)
[r52693] Fix crash with SSL client auth (Issue 49197)
[r52850] Option clicking a link now saves a resource directly without triggering a “Save As...” dialog (Issue 36775) You can find out about getting on the Dev channel here: http://dev.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-chann...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 22nd Jul, 2010 19:12
Q.
I made a typo when entering a Web site password and Firefox saved the wrong information. Is there a way to fix this so I don’t have to keep retyping the correct password?

A.
The Firefox browser keeps a record of your Web site user names and passwords in its settings. If you are using Firefox on a Windows PC, go to the program’s Tools menu and choose Options. If you use the Mac edition of the browser, go to the Firefox application menu and choose Preferences.

In the box that appears, click on the Security icon. In the Passwords section in the middle of the box, click on the Saved Passwords button. Firefox then presents a list of all the Web sites with login information you have previously saved.

In the list, click on the Web site with the incorrect password and then click on the Remove button to delete it from Firefox’s memory. This Saved Password box has another useful feature: if you ever forget a Web site user name or password, you can look it up by clicking on the Show Passwords button.

Once you have deleted the entry with the bad password, click on the Close button and then on the O.K. button to save your changes. Now, return to the Web site you want to visit, carefully type in your user name and password, and click the button for remembering the password at the top of the window to have Firefox save the correct information.

NY Times.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 22nd Jul, 2010 19:16
Critical infrastructure including power grids and manufacturing plants is at risk from a newly discovered flaw in Microsoft Windows that researchers warn has already been exploited by hackers.

Experts who monitor the stability of the internet and the risks of its breakdown considered raising the "threat level" from green to yellow – the second of four levels.

Read more, if you havn't already, at :-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/jul/22/m...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 22nd Jul, 2010 19:20
A cleaner fan may help your laptop run faster
How do I clean dust from my laptop fan?
Dust and debris can sometimes be the cause of a computer running slowly
22 Jul 2010
After a few years I noticed my laptop getting slower and slower. I tried everything from clean-up programs to a complete wipe and re-install.

It was only when I finally listened to the increased noise from the fans that I realised what the problem was. I noticed that when the fan kicked in the computer slowed down to a halt.

I removed the one little screw to take off the fan cover and discovered that it was blocked by dust. A little blowing and a little brushing was all it took to restore my computer speed.

I suppose that the CPU was overheating before. Not only is my computer faster but it is also much quieter as the fan does not have to spin as fast as it did before.

Robert Nicks

Watch our video of the clean-up process here :-

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 22nd Jul, 2010 20:56
I was always reticent 'bout installing any other security prog, other than my paid for system: always afraid of engendering possible conflicts between some diversities or aspects of them. Recently tho', with the ever increasing threat/levels, I decided to look at the matter again.
As I've chronicled elsewhere on the forum before, I'd had a chance to observe how Threatfire behaved in conjunction with AVG Free; on my son in law's pc...even dodgy sites don't seem to have inhibited it's efficiency !! As I'd first seen in the product claims....they seem to enhance and compliment each others performance. I've since found the same thing to be true on my own set-up. Mogs The following description is taken from:-http://www.majorgeeks.com/PC_Tools_ThreatFire_d519...
ThreatFire Free Edition is an application designed to protect your computer against malware such as trojans, spyware, rootkits, keyloggers, and buffer overflows by intelligently detecting and blocking behavior consistent with that of malware.

ThreatFire uses advanced patent-pending technology to detect signs of malicious behavior commonly used by malware threats. ThreatFire is unlike traditional antivirus products that rely on old fashioned "signature" technology and require updating every time a new threat occurs.

By constantly monitoring the activity on your PC ThreatFire's ActiveDefense technology is able to hunt down and paralyze threats that are too new or too clever to be recognized by traditional security software.

ThreatFire employs an intelligent behavioral engine to only alert you on truly malicious behavior, because sometimes even legitimate software may look malicious. This means you are only alerted when you really need to be.

You can also obtain from:-

http://www.threatfire.com/

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
taffy078 vBulletin software flaw
Contributor 23rd Jul, 2010 00:00
Are any of the forums you visit powered by vBulletin software?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10714192

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 23rd Jul, 2010 00:59
are you using PSI Auto-Update?

Did you know that there is a new version - v1.9.0.2?

See http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/482...

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Off-topic: general tech talk – Wave Gravy
Expert Contributor 23rd Jul, 2010 08:49
Google offers IE users faster Wave gravy
Alert Print
Splash it all over
By Gavin Clarke in Portland • Get more from this author

Posted in Applications, 23rd July 2010 04:37 GMT
OSCON Microsoft web surfers have been promised faster helpings of Wave gravy following Google's release of Splash.

Splash is an open-source client for Internet Explorer users to view and consume Google Wave applications and conversations embedded in websites. It replaces use of Google's Chrome Frame – the IE plug-in that the company polished only last month http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/23/google_spl...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 23rd Jul, 2010 11:36
OFT outlines plans to protect online shoppers
Punters need scam education
By OUT-LAW.COM • Get more from this author

Posted in IT Channel, 23rd July 2010 09:21 GMT
UK consumers still need to be educated about online shopping to prevent them falling victim to scams and problems, consumer protection regulator the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) has said.

The OFT has published plans to improve the protections available for consumers when they are shopping online. It does not recommend the creation of new laws or regulations, but has said that consumers must be better educated, that government guidance for companies must be improved, and that companies and enforcement agencies should work more closely together.
http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2010/07/23/oft_ec...

" How do we know when a shopper's been educated ?! Purchased an ID ?! Or pass cert ?! Mogs"

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 23rd Jul, 2010 11:37
Last edited on 23rd Jul, 2010 11:39
Taffy ,

Just tried to post to your TP thread but you locked it too quickly !!!

Secunia have a very good record with Beta's etc (I have tried them all since the PSI was first offered - only one significant hiccup when the .exe refused to stop/uninstall ; took Secunia a couple of days to fix it , but no damage to me or the PC :))

However , as the "sticky" has gone you might want to post a link to it when you suggest people update to TP 1.9.0.2 (like you did above) otherwise you may have to answer to irate Europeans who have lost their version of Ff for a cleaned up version in English or some such annoyance !!

Otherwise , with the odd exception , be very careful , as Maurice Joyce said , run Beta's and more so Alpha"s on your test rig :) To quote you - Caveat emptor , the software maybe free , but there are no free lunches :(((

As wr says "...read the instructions"

Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 23rd Jul, 2010 12:13
excellent advice, Anthony. Thank you.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 23rd Jul, 2010 12:30
Unpatched shortcut vuln exploited by mainstream malware
Alert Print Post
'Bottom feeders' latch onto zero-day bug

Posted in Enterprise Security, 23rd July 2010 10:13 GMT
Virus writers have begun using the unpatched shortcut flaw in Windows first exploited by the Stuxnet worm, which targets power plant control systems, to create malware that infects the general population of vulnerable Windows machines. "This new development follows a typical path of evolution in malware. Often there are only days between the initial release of information regarding a critical vulnerability, and the discovery of its exploitation being executed in the wild by malware authors. It is safe to assume that more malware operators will start using this exploit code in order to infect host systems and increase their revenues," he concludes.

Read in full at :-

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/23/win_shortc...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 25th Jul, 2010 02:41
Last edited on 25th Jul, 2010 02:42

A Twitter account used by astronauts of the U.S. National Aeronautics and Space Administration was taken over for about half an hour Saturday by hackers selling plasma TVs online.

The Twitter account — @NASA_astronauts —is normally used by members of the U.S. manned space programme to post updates about their activities both on Earth and in space.

But early Saturday morning, the Twitter feed carried spam messages like: "LCD LED Flat Screen TV Monitor Wall Mount Bracket CE9 via @YoTwits #auction."

About 33 minutes later, the Twitter feed carried a new message: "Our apologies for the odd Twitter behaviour earlier. We have fixed the problem. Back to tweets from NASA astronauts. Thanks @ Ansjh for the …"

The website gizmodo.com later commented:

"It was probably a bad password that got cracked. Next time they should remember that 9876543210 only works OK for (rocket) launches."

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 25th Jul, 2010 14:16
The personal details of several Kiwi celebrities have been released by hackers as proof they have cracked Hell Pizza's customer database.

Private information including passwords, email and home addresses, phone numbers - plus pizza orders - have fallen into the hands of the anonymous cyber hackers.

Hell have called in police and it has raised fears that they could access the personal details of hundreds of thousands of New Zealanders.

The company warned its 230,000 customers to change their internet passwords in an email on Friday night.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 25th Jul, 2010 15:02
Don't get caught hook, line and sinker by phishing scams
How should I deal with a phishing email?
Scammers often ask for credit card details and personal information
23 Jul 2010
Q I have received more than one email that appeared to come from my ISP, Virgin Media, asking me to verify my identity. I didn’t send them any details, as when I clicked the link in the email, they were asking for a lot more information than usual, such as my driving licence number, my mother’s maiden name and credit card details. Is this a scam?

See the Answer at :-http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/q-a...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 25th Jul, 2010 21:27
schedule for Chrome
Google steps up Chrome release schedule
New version of browser promised every six weeks
Written by Shaun Nichols in San Francisco, V3.co.uk
24 Jul 2010
Google has sped up the release schedule for its Chrome web browser.

The company said that it would be reducing the time between updates by half, delivering a new stable version of the browser every six weeks.

Read more: http://www.computeractive.co.uk/v3/news/2267013/go...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 25th Jul, 2010 23:05
When it comes to protecting your computer from the latest malware, why should you pick this relative newcomer to the freebie scene? Is it easy to use? Check – the user interface is one of simplest we've seen. Is it light on system resources? Check – it only uses around 10MB of memory, meaning it won't slow down even low-specced PCs.
Ah, but what about the essential protection? Check, check and check. When it comes to malware detection and blocking, Panda is up with the very best, and only loses a little of its sheen when it comes to cleaning up already infected systems.
Even here, however, it's on a par with most other freebies on the market. The program utilises an online database ("Cloud Intelligence") for its AV scans, which is updated hundreds of times a day to keep it ahead of the latest threats. All in all, Panda has raised the bar for free anti-virus, so you should definitely take advantage – if you haven't already.

Read more: http://www.techradar.com/news/software/application...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 25th Jul, 2010 23:30
Perhaps it was only a matter of time. But wireless security researchers say they have uncovered a vulnerability in the WPA2 security protocol, which is the strongest form of Wi-Fi encryption and authentication currently standardized and available.

Malicious insiders can exploit the vulnerability, named "Hole 196" by the researcher who discovered it at wireless security company AirTight Networks. The moniker refers to the page of the IEEE 802.11 Standard (Revision, 2007) on which the vulnerability is buried.

10 of the worst moments in network security history

Hole 196 lends itself to man-in-the-middle-style exploits, whereby an internal, authorized Wi-Fi user can decrypt, over the air, the private data of others, inject malicious traffic into the network and compromise other authorized devices using open source software, according to AirTight Read more at:- http://www.topix.com/tech/computer-security/2010/0...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 26th Jul, 2010 22:09
Firefox update fixes plug-in snafu
Alert Print
Stabilising patch rushed out

Posted in Enterprise Security, 26th July 2010 09:46 GMT
Mozilla has responded to plugin stability issues with a new version of Firefox.

Firefox 3.6.8 was published on Friday just three days after the release of 3.6.7, a far more substantial update that addressed eight critical flaws and six less serious bugs

Most of the reported problems involved an Adobe Flash player plugin for Firefox. The incident is not the first time a patch for the open source browser has been prompted by problems involving its extensions, rather than bugs in its basic build.

Last month, for example, Mozilla tweaked Firefox's crash controls after complaints from Farmville users.

Mozilla's release notes on Firefox 3.6.8 - a cross-platform update for Windows, Mac and Linux fans of the open-source browser - can be foun

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/26/firefox_pl...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 26th Jul, 2010 22:12
CCleaner 2.34
System cleansing & optimisation tool

Written by Chris Wiles/Tim Smith, V3.co.uk

26 Jul 2010

Type: freeware Platform: Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista Manufacturer:Piriform Ltd Size: 3.3MB

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 27th Jul, 2010 06:55
July 27, 2010, 12:00 AM
Ask.com Reverts Back to Its Q. & A. Origins
By JENNA WORTHAM
Jeeves may be gone, but according to Ask.com, he’s anything but forgotten.

Ask.com, which has tried with scant success to morph itself into a search engine on par with those of Google and Microsoft, is unveiling a new version of its Web site that delivers questions to answers, rather than traditional search results.

The site, which will be introduced in a limited test version on Tuesday, is a throwback to the company’s origins, when it featured a dapper butler mascot who fetched answers to questions posed by users. A few years ago, the company phased Jeeves out on its site in the United States (he later had a revival in Britain), and began to emphasize more traditional search functions based around key words and phrases.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 27th Jul, 2010 06:59
July 26, 2010, 4:03 PM
What’s for Sale on the Bug Market?
By NICK BILTON

via Dean De Beer
An ad online showing bulk credit card numbers for sale.
In an article I wrote for Monday’s newspaper, I took a look at the underground world of cybersecurity and the discussion over when security experts, or hackers, should disclose a flaw in an online system.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/26/whats-for...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
taffy078 Firefox updated again
Contributor 27th Jul, 2010 08:04
Thank you for the Firefox note, Mogs (now v.3.6.8).

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 27th Jul, 2010 08:40
Type: freeware Platform: Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista Manufacturer:Almico Software Size: 1.8MB
Review Rating: n/a Average User Rating:
This is the software publisher's description.

SpeedFan allows you to have a deeper view of the status of your computer. Almost every computer includes support for hardware monitoring. Accessing digital temperature sensors is really useful. If you are trying to figure out why your pc hangs when under heavy load or after some hours of usage, SpeedFan might help you to find the real cause. Very often it is a poor power supply, or an improperly installed heatsink that lead to behaviours that we tend to associate with errors from the operating system, but that are not. SpeedFan automatically searches your computer for interesting chips: the hardware monitor chips.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 27th Jul, 2010 18:01
SIW (System Information for Windows) shows (almost?) everything about Windows. I am amazed at the amount of info. It's portable too, just install to thumb drive. If you want to know something about your computer that Windows controls, this is it. http://www.gtopala.com/ (Credit Anthony for tip.)

Piriforms' Speccy is a handy utility that shows important data, like the internal temp of the CPU & VPU. It will tell you at a glance the important stuff. http://www.piriform.com/speccy

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability