Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: yahoo toolbar 6x

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Yahoo!
And, this specific program:
Yahoo! Toolbar 6.x

This thread has been marked as resolved.
hannahrain yahoo toolbar 6x
Member 2nd Jul, 2010 22:15
Ranking: 0
User Since: 11th Jan, 2010
System Score: N/A
Hi .. this is listed 3 times as being "end of life"; the numbers listed adjacent to the software are: 6,3,5,0; 6,1,2,0; and 6,2,4,0.

Please advise as to how to update; also, any idea as to why I have three of the same listed???

Thanks much!

Post "RE: yahoo toolbar 6x" has been selected as an answer.
ddmarshall RE: yahoo toolbar 6x
Dedicated Contributor 2nd Jul, 2010 22:56
Score: 1205
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
Last edited on 5th Jul, 2010 20:34
Check you have the most recent version installed by going to http://toolbar.yahoo.com and navigating to the appropriate country. E.g. toolbar.yahoo.co.uk. If you acquired a customised toolbar along with some other software the procedure might be more protracted. The current version is 8.1, I think.
When the Yahoo! Toolbar updates itself it leaves the old versions behind. You can just delete the folders where the PSI finds them. There will be one for each version you have had called something like
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn<number> .

Just leave the newest one (check date) .

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
hannahrain RE: yahoo toolbar 6x
Member 6th Jul, 2010 22:46
Score: 0
User Since: 11th Jan 2010
Hi ... I appreciate your response, however I was unable to resolve using the info given. When I clicked on the yahoo link indicated I got a yahoo website offering a download for toolbar 2.1 which I assumed to be a downgrade from the 6x version. Also, I was not able to find the folders containing the three versions of 6x I apparently have installed... I'm not familiar with "PSI" .. please explain.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
ddmarshall RE: yahoo toolbar 6x
Dedicated Contributor 6th Jul, 2010 23:32
Score: 1205
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
Toolbar 2.1 is for Firefox; the ones you have detected are for Internet Explorer. You need to access http://toolbar.yahoo.com through Internet Explorer if you want update it. Installing the update will probably not remove the old ones.

I was assuming you were using the Secunia PSI. If you are using the Secunia OSI, I suggest you download Secunia PSI as you can get more information.

To find out where the end-of-life programs that Secunia are detecting are located, switch to Advanced Mode, if necessary, by clicking 'Advanced Mode' in the top right if it is blue. You should then have a screen which looks like this:
http://secunia.com/gfx/advanced_overview.png

Click the End of Life tab, hover your mouse over the name of the programs or click the plus sign next to them to obtain the name of the file that Secunia has found the toolbars in. Post the filenames back here if you want more help.

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 7th Jul, 2010 00:22
Making progress ... I do have Secunia PSI and I'm using advanced mode; I got the installation paths for each end of life version; I also opened the folders for each; they each have about five or six files in them .. do I delete the entire folder?
Thanks ... Sharon
Was this reply relevant?
+0
M.Hansen RE: yahoo toolbar 6
Secunia Official 7th Jul, 2010 11:21
Score: 188
User Since: 26th Jan 2009
Hi

If possible, always try to uninstall the programs from the "Add/Remove Programs"/"Program and Features" from the Windows Control panel.

If the programs is not show there, you might check to see if there is an uninstaller in the installation folder.

If not, I would recommend to follow the vendors guide for uninstalling.

This page might be useful for you:
http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/toolbar/toolbar8/...
Member 8th Jul, 2010 22:44
Hi .. finally got rid of the dang thing using the link you provided. The fix was so simple. Thanks!
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability