xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Microsoft Internet Information Services Basic Authentication Secu...

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Vulnerabilities

See the original Secunia advisory:
Microsoft Internet Information Services Basic Authentication Security Bypass

Secunia Microsoft Internet Information Services Basic Authentication Security Bypass
Secunia Official 5th Jul, 2010 14:29
Ranking: 0
User Since: -
System Score: -
Soroush Dalili has discovered a vulnerability in Microsoft Internet Information Services, which can be exploited by malicious people to bypass certain security restrictions.

The vulnerability is caused due to an error in the handling of basic authentication for directories. This can be exploited to bypass authentication and access e.g. protected directories by appending the NTFS stream name and stream type (":$i30:$INDEX_ALLOCATION") to the directory name within a request.

The vulnerability is confirmed in version 5.1 on a fully-patched Windows XP SP3. Other versions may also be affected.

RichardD RE: Microsoft Internet Information Services Basic Authentication Security Bypass
Member 5th Jul, 2010 14:29
Score: 7
User Since: 4th Mar 2010
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 5th Jul, 2010 14:29
Looks like URLScan blocks this vulnerability by default. I've just tried the URL against one of our old Windows 2000 servers, and it gives me a 404 error.
Was this reply relevant?
+7
shinnai RE: Microsoft Internet Information Services Basic Authentication Security Bypass
Member 7th Jul, 2010 12:05
User Since: 11th Jan 2008
Last edited on 7th Jul, 2010 12:05
I can confirm what RichardD said. I've followed step by step the paper written by Soroush Dalili and I just get a 404 error. Where am I wrong?
Was this reply relevant?
+2
taffy078 RE: Microsoft Internet Information Services Basic Authentication Security Bypass
Contributor 7th Jul, 2010 14:12
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
System Score: 100%
Hi Shinnai, and welcome to this forum..

Being new, you won't be aware that this section, “ Vulnerabilities”, is used by the Secunia team to announce problems.

You will have more chance of getting help, more quickly, if you post a new thread in one of the other sections (see the list on the left).

If you do, it will help us help you if you give details of your system etc - as I have done, below.

Best wishes.

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

Desktop: Compaq Presario (OEM) 32 bit / AMD Athlon / 2 GB RAM
XP Home - SP3/ IE8/ Norton IS - Secunia PSI v2.0.0.3003

Laptop: Win 7 / IE11 / PSI v2.0.0.3003
Was this reply relevant?
+1
shinnai RE: Microsoft Internet Information Services Basic Authentication Security Bypass
Member 7th Jul, 2010 17:23
User Since: 11th Jan 2008
Last edited on 7th Jul, 2010 17:23
taffy078 thanks a lot and sorry for my mistake
Was this reply relevant?
+0

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability