Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Windows 7 and Secunia

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft Windows 7

This thread has been marked as resolved.
glsmas12 Windows 7 and Secunia
Member 21st Jul, 2010 00:12
Ranking: 0
User Since: 20th Mar, 2010
System Score: N/A
Hello, why does secunia psi (latest version) still say my version of Win 7 (64 bit) is insecure? I've tried some of the suggestions here, ie, uninstalling secunia and reinstalling, rebooting, rescanning, etc., but nothing works.

Any idea?

Post "RE: Windows 7 and Secunia" has been selected as an answer.
thedillpickl RE: Windows 7 and Secunia
Contributor 21st Jul, 2010 06:34
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Hi glsmas12;

You've already done the Uninstall/reinstall trick.

Thanks, Win 7 64 bit is the OS.

Which version of PSI may not matter, but there are two currently, 1.5.0.2 and the TP (Technology Preview) 1.9.0.0 .

Which PSI do you have installed?

To find out what PSI (either version) is pointing to:
=======
If not already, please run PSI in Advanced Mode.

To do this click on the PSI icon, in the system tray, to open the interface. In the top right corner, is "SIMPLE" blue in color and "ADVANCED" black? If not, click on "ADVANCED".

Click on the "Insecure" tab, Click on the [+] to the left of the program in question.

In the "Toolbox" click on the "Technical details" icon. Listed under "Version Detected:" it shows the old version PSI is reporting. The "Installation Path" is where PSI is finding the old stuff.

To go there, click on the "Open Folder" icon. This will open the folder where the old file(s) is(are).
=======

What is the name, Installation Path & version number of the file(s) that PSI shows?

Note that I'm not a Win 7 user. The information requested will be helpful to anyone solving this problem with you. If a reply from a Win 7 user doesn't occur (which I doubt), I will be happy to help.

Regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+2
This user no longer exists RE: Windows 7 and Secunia
Member 21st Jul, 2010 08:19
Hi,

After rebooting, does Microsoft Update show no available patches? If there are any available, try installing them and rebooting again.

Otherwise, what is the Secunia "SA" for the vulnerability being reported? To see this, please expand the insecure program entry (By clicking "+"), and look for "Online references". The Secunia advisory has a number at the end of the URL, and this is the SA ID.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
glsmas12 RE: Windows 7 and Secunia
Member 21st Jul, 2010 19:52
Score: 0
User Since: 20th Mar 2010
System Score: N/A
Right after I posted, I tried running a regular Secunia scan. I hadn't done that, just booted with secunia saying Win 7 was insecure. After the scan, my Win 7 is okay, but now secunia says I have one insecure browser:

--Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.x (64-bit) Insecure, no solution SA24314--

I' running PSI vers. 1.5.0.2

There is no solution to IE 8? I usually use Chrome, but sometimes IE.

Thanks for the replies.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Windows 7 and Secunia
Expert Contributor 21st Jul, 2010 21:17
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
In the Secure Bowsing tab you should see....tho' there is the long standing insecurity.....that IE is still considered by psi as Secure for browsing ( top of panel ) . That means that you've patched/done as much as you can do, at the moment. As long as safe browsing practices are used you should be safe enough.
It might be worth noting...if you decided to change to a Beta or Dev Chrome....Secunia does not monitor Beta versions... tho'Gears will show up. As and when Chrome updates, you'll find you'll need to remove the older file/version manually....else ( even tho' you'd have updated)...psi will still continue to detect...even if in the Recycle bin.

Here's a useful link worth reading/ bookmarking...in case you havn't already done so :-
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
Regards

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability