Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: how to start?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
jl007 how to start?
Member 23rd Jul, 2010 17:46
Ranking: 0
User Since: 22nd Jul, 2010
System Score: N/A
First, there's something wrong with with my computer and that leads to how do you run PSI?

or how should it work?

Because it's not scanning and coming up with the results (I think).

Thanks a head.

taffy078 RE: how to start?
Contributor 23rd Jul, 2010 18:01
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
System Score: 100%
I (and many others here) have Secunia PSI v1.9x which has an Auto-update facility for some programs with a past history of vulnerabilities.

If you go to this link

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/444...

you will see what the TP version does, and the background/rationale. This will not only help you understand what it’s about but it will also show you where/how to download the latest version of PSI v1.9x

When you’ve installed it, you’ll see a new tab “Auto-Updates” on the main Secunia page, between "Overview" and "Insecure". This has a list of programs that will be auto up-dated when you "tick the box".

Then scan!
I'll post some other important links in a moment

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

Desktop: Compaq Presario (OEM) 32 bit / AMD Athlon / 2 GB RAM
XP Home - SP3/ IE8/ Norton IS - Secunia PSI v2.0.0.3003

Laptop: Win 7 / IE11 / PSI v2.0.0.3003
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Contributor 23rd Jul, 2010 18:07
Here are links that you need to look at:

How Secunia works: http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

FAQ:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

As I said earlier, read these, install the latest version of PSI then scan and let us know how you got on.

I'll post some good advice from Anthony Wells in a moment on how to use PSI in Advanced mode.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+3
Contributor 23rd Jul, 2010 18:18
Advanced Mode. Briefly:

1 Go to the main Secunia PSI window & click on ‘Advanced’ if it’s underlined in blue. (Don't be put off by the name "Advanced"! It's easy to follow/use.)

2. This will show your scan results and will build up a record.

3. If there's a vulnerability, click on “+” to highlight & expand it. It will also show you steps to resolve the issue.

4 Click on “Technical Details” (in Toolbox”)

5 This will give you the installation path of the vulnerable file. If you can't resolve it as per the guide shown, just copy the installation path & paste it here with details of your PC etc(per my signature below. Someone will then help you.

As I've no idea of your technical abilities, I've been torn between giving you a fairly full overview and overloading you!

I hope you'll cope with all this, jl007. If you need any help just post again.

In closing, welcome to the forum jl007!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+1
thedillpickl RE: how to start?
Contributor 24th Jul, 2010 06:22
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
Hi jl007;

If I may, let me clarify how PSI 'works' by copying a bit from the "Readme.rtf" file found in the C:\program files\Secunia\PSI folder (or where ever you placed PSI on your hard drive). Reading the complete file may prove useful.

"Purpose of the Secunia PSI

The Secunia PSI is an invaluable tool for you to use when assessing the security patch state of software installed on your system. It constantly monitors your system for insecure software installations, notifies you when an insecure application is installed, and even provides you with detailed instructions for updating the application when available.

It is NOT the purpose of the Secunia PSI to detect whether your system has already been compromised or if local changes, settings, or missing requirements could cause the Secunia PSI to report incorrect results. The Secunia PSI relies on the meta-data of executables and library files. The Secunia PSI does NOT conduct an integrity check of the individual files, rather, it checks whether a specific program is vulnerable according to the reported version numbers and not whether the files have been compromised or replaced by other users or programs.

The Secunia PSI is not a replacement for other security measures such anti-virus or personal firewalls, the Secunia PSI is a great supplement to other security measures such as anti-virus and personal firewalls as it helps preventing exploitation of often overlooked exposures.
"

I'm not quite sure if taffy asked, but what do you mean when you say, "Because it's not scanning and coming up with the results (I think)."

Do you mean that when you attempt a manual scan, in PSI, it fails or simply will not scan? Is it possible, you mean that when the scan has finished, the results appear wrong?

Please post back and give us a little more detail.

Regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+