Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Updates don't work to stop new PSI warning

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft Access 2002

This thread has been marked as locked.
lodavesf Updates don't work to stop new PSI warning
Member 24th Jul, 2010 20:31
Ranking: 0
User Since: 11th Jun, 2008
System Score: N/A
PSI claims that MSACCESS.EXE 10.0.6771.0 is insecure, yet the download link (not really, just the link to Microsoft Update site) caused two updates (one for Defender, the other for Outlook) to download and install but MS Update did not detect any deficiency or security risk in MSACCESS. Why does PSI flag it?
The path is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\MSACCESS.EXE.
This is a new "hit" by PSI, but Microsoft Update just ignores it.

ddmarshall RE: Updates don't work to stop new PSI warning
Dedicated Contributor 24th Jul, 2010 21:53
Score: 1212
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
Which Secunia Advisory is it? This seems strange; there haven't been any advisories for this product since 2008. Have you done a full scan since the Outlook update?

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
This user no longer exists RE: Updates don't work to stop new PSI warning
Member 26th Jul, 2010 08:38
Hi,

Usually, updates for Microsoft products only "kick in" when you reboot. This means that to be sure you have installed all the patches for a microsoft product, you need to install everything available, reboot, recheck Microsoft Update, reboot if any new patches were installed, and then rescan. If you do this, all the proper updates should be applied.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
M.Hansen RE: Updates don't work to stop new PSI warning
Secunia Official 26th Jul, 2010 12:56
Score: 188
User Since: 26th Jan 2009
Hi

I just wanted to add that you can try to manually download and install the update.

This one should be for Microsoft Office 2002 (Office XP)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?fa...

You should check the file version of your MSO.dll rather than the msaccess.exe as that is the file that contains the updated file information

You should have a mso.dll with file version 10.0.6845.0 or greater to be patched.
dvorah RE: Updates don't work to stop new PSI warning
Member 26th Jul, 2010 15:23
Score: 0
User Since: 26th Jul 2010
I have similar problem. It keeps showing the same programs needing updates, even though I DID update them. And yes, I did run scan...but secunia doesn't seem to register the installed updates. Programs with incorrect needing updates are winzip, java sun. I'm glad to know i'm not the only one with false error report
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Updates don't work to stop new PSI warning
Member 26th Jul, 2010 15:25
Hi,

Did you try following the method I suggested in my earlier post in this thread?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
dvorah RE: Updates don't work to stop new PSI warning
Member 26th Jul, 2010 16:28
User Since: 26th Jul 2010
yes, but my problem is that Secunia keeps listing updates that have ALREADY been installed. Just now it said I needed update for VLC player, which had the updated installed. Right now Secunia show me needing 9 updates...and when i do, i get the message, "do you want to replace ..." And I can't clear these listings from secunia, even after running a scan. this has made sunia worthless right now because of all the false threat reports
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Updates don't work to stop new PSI warning
Expert Contributor 26th Jul, 2010 17:22
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 26th Jul, 2010 17:25
@dvorah

This is@loadasvf's thread and specifically concerns a Microsoft Office programme and it could get locked at any time .

Your problem is in fact sligthly different and refers to several other programmes ; I would suggest you create your own thread (see left column on this page) in say the "Programs" sub-forum and detail your problem there . This will give you control of the thread and be easier for you to get specific help .

I doubt that the Secunia PSI is giving "false error" reports it is a question of interpreting the scan results .

Take care
Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+2
lodavesf RE: Updates don't work to stop new PSI warning
Member 26th Jul, 2010 22:45
User Since: 11th Jun 2008
Thanks to all for the suggestions. Secunia finally stopped flagging msaccess.exe this past weekend after a patch for Outlook 2002 had finally installed successfully. The relationship is beyond my ken. This particular patch had failed to install several times over the past week, and finally "took".
Several additional cold boots as well as a full "fresh" Secunia system scan have been done so perhaps Secunia and Microsoft caught up with each other. Btw, I already had cold-booted more than once and run Windows Update and Microsoft Update prior to my original post.
Also mso.dll versions are 12.0.6535.5002 and 10.0.6858.0, under Common Files/Microsoft Shared, in separate directories. This system was "inherited" with a lot of strange problems, so I don't know why there are files from both Office 10 and 12 existing simultaneously along with parts of 2002. Ironically, I don't use Office, but OpenOffice instead!
ta

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer