xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package ...

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package

This thread has been marked as locked.
LFS Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update
Member 30th Jul, 2010 15:23
Ranking: 0
User Since: 2nd Apr, 2009
System Score: N/A
This morning Secunia PSI reported 'Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package' as a new Category 3 threat for the first time.

I manually started Windows Internet Explorer [normally I use Firefox as my default browser] and went to MS' update site. MS scanned but did not report this as something needing a patch.

Next I searched the MS update site for the solution PSI was calling for [Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update]. I found it in three versions:
vcredist_IA64.exe
vcredist_x64.exe
vcredist_x86.exe

I run Windows XP Pro Svc Pack 2 on a Dell Optiplex 745C with an Intel Core2 CPU 6300 running @ 1.86GHz with 1 GB RAM. So I selected 'vcredist_x86.exe' to download.

I scanned the downloaded file with a currently updated version of Sunbelt VIPRE. It came out clean.

Then I tried to run the downloaded file. It produced an error message saying it "is not a valid Win32 application."

So far I am unable to apply this patch. I do not know what to do next. How can I correct this vulnerability?

M.Hansen RE: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update
Secunia Official 30th Jul, 2010 15:28
Score: 188
User Since: 26th Jan 2009
Hi

It seems the downloaded file did not download correctly.

You can try to do the following:
-Delete the damaged file and try again
-Download the file using a different browser or a download manager.
mrgill RE: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update
Member 30th Jul, 2010 23:00
Score: 3
User Since: 29th Apr 2009
A have a few concerns about this update;

- As far as I can see, this "new" update had it's release date a year ago.
- Why isn't this security update available through Microsoft's own update service.
- As far as I can see, the download does not support my Windows 7 operating system.

Should I download it at all? And what determines which version I need, if I should download it?
Was this reply relevant?
+3
ddmarshall RE: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update
Dedicated Contributor 31st Jul, 2010 01:14
Score: 1218
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
Personally, I don't think you need this if the Redistributable has been installed by an application and Microsoft Update does not find anything. The update for this vulnerability on Microsoft Updates is KB973924. This update, KB973552, is not on Microsoft Update.

I posted some more on this in this thread:
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/489...
including a quote from the security bulletin which explains this.

I hope Secunia can shed some light on this on Monday.

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Ollielu RE: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update
Member 31st Jul, 2010 15:17
Score: -3
User Since: 25th Dec 2009
The other thread that discusses this topic seems to indicate that you should install one of the updates even though Windows Update doesn't call for it, but can you tell me which file I should use? I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 on hp laptop with an Intel Centrino CPU (does the "IA" before 64 mean Intel processor? Another thread [completely unrelated] differentiated between that and AMD processors [although I find it strange that the default one would be geared for AMD]).
Was this reply relevant?
+0
LFS RE: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update
Member 31st Jul, 2010 15:56
Score: 0
User Since: 2nd Apr 2009
The delete and download all over approach solved my problem. Thank you!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ddmarshall RE: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update
Dedicated Contributor 31st Jul, 2010 17:29
Score: 1218
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
@Ollielu

IA64 is for Intel Itanium processors, which are only used in servers.
X64 is for other Intel and AMD 64 bit systems
X86 is for 32 bit systems

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
jonrichco RE: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update
Member 31st Jul, 2010 18:18
User Since: 27th Nov 2008
Because no-one on this thread and MS's KB article gives no clue as to which of the three files to download, I decided to remove the program and hope for the best. I imagine if some application decides it needs it, MS will provide a download.

I had three versions, and uninstalled the two oldest (lowest numbers). Will let you know how I get on.

Later: Had the bright idea of looking at the file name in Revo Uninstaller, and decided it was the X86 version that I needed. [Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features gives the same information]. So downloaded and installed that, and uninstalled all the original 3. We will see.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Ollielu RE: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update
Member 1st Aug, 2010 16:59
Thanks perfect!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Aug, 2010 16:59
Since the comment posted above yours--it explains it well.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update
Member 2nd Aug, 2010 09:54
Hi,

You should definitively download and apply this patch. Choose x86 if you're on a 32-bit system, x64 for 64-bit, or IA-64 for Itanium processors.

After applying the update, rescan to see if it kicked in.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mike57904 RE: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update
Member 2nd Aug, 2010 10:32
Score: -5
User Since: 11th May 2010
Ta for the advice, it worked fine. But.... why does this update not come up on MS update? Mkke57904
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Aug, 2010 20:54
Hmm...I installed the correct update for my system (64-bit non-IA Intel processor) but I still get the message for the non-64 bit update from Secunia...should I just ignore it?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update
Handling Contributor 2nd Aug, 2010 20:57
Score: 11865
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
I would not. As U can see it is fixable:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/492...

Have U try a close down>switch on>complete rescan?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 3rd Aug, 2010 00:20
I'm not sure what a complete close down etc. means.

I installed the appropriate file and rebooted my computer and did another scan, and it came up with the non 64-bit file as a vulnerability.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update
Handling Contributor 3rd Aug, 2010 23:03
@Ollielu

Sorry I should have been more precise. I meant Shutdown rather than reboot. U problem is solved regardless which is good news.

@LFS

If U are receiving email updates U do not want U can lock the thread. Just select ACCEPT against the post THAT HELPED U THE most & it will prevent any further posts.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
getsmart37 RE: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update
Member 4th Aug, 2010 08:33
Score: 6
User Since: 30th May 2010
I am back up to 100% now it took awhile to do it all and no more problems.

Keith
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Greatdane RE: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update
Member 4th Aug, 2010 10:07
Score: -1
User Since: 9th Sep 2009
My Intel dual core is 32 bit and have been trying to find a solution for PSI's threat fofr Micrsoft Outlook 2007 for 3 weeks! Downloaded Visual C++2008 Resdistributable ATL. After the download a pop-up window asked me to choose between 'repair' and 'uninstall'. I chose repair and it did just that. Afterwards, restarted, then ran PSI scan and my treat is still there. Microsoft shows I'm updated, but have automatic updates and that's it showed.
Do I need to remove previous versions (Visual C++2005)? Any and all help appreciated.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Aug, 2010 17:06
I did a completely shutdown and restarted and it still identifies the non 64-bit version as a vulnerability...if it's not one I don't care I'll just ignore it I'm just not sure what if anything else I'm supposed to do at this point.

(Thanks for your followup.)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 4th Aug, 2010 17:49
Why not use the x86 (32 Bit) file offered to update?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Carl Marsarlis RE: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update
Member 4th Aug, 2010 22:41
User Since: 3rd Jun 2010
hi guys,

I'm having the issue. I'm running W7 64bit. I've downloaded the fix > ininstalled rather than repaired > then reinstalled a fresh copy from MS, but all to no avail.

I also am curious as to why this file has suddenly become an issue.

Anyway, I'm suscribed to this thread now. Hopefully somebody will com up with a fix soon.

Cheers
John B
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Aug, 2010 01:37
I guess I'm a little superstitious about installing software that isn't the exact right "fit" for what I have.

For now I'd rather wait a few more days and see if someone comes up with a better solution (which may simply turn out to be installing the 32-bit version).
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 5th Aug, 2010 01:57
Understood - normally Microsoft prevent U from installing a "wrong one" but wise to follow what U are comfortable with.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+