Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Date Execution Prevention

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
lexel Date Execution Prevention
Member 2nd Aug, 2010 11:45
Ranking: 0
User Since: 1st Aug, 2010
System Score: N/A
I just did an install of PSI but cannot get the program to run as Windows DEP is blocking it from running apparently because it is helping to protect my computer! I followed the help instructions from Micrsoft to allow Secunia to be added as an exception from DEP but this has failed to work.

I am running XP on service pack 3.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Thanks

Maurice Joyce RE: Date Execution Prevention
Handling Contributor 2nd Aug, 2010 11:53
Score: 11865
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Something in here might help U as it gives set up details & Secunia help links.

SETTING UP PSI IN THE ADVANCED MODE
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Are U using the latest version of PSI that has the added feature of automatic updates for some programmes? If not,and U would like to try it the download link is here:
http://secunia.com/PSISetupAUTP.exe

Whatever version U currently use try this:

1. Open PSI by clicking the System tray icon or right click the icon & select Reload Interface.

2.Select the OVERVIEW tab.

3. In the top right corner U will see INTERFACE MODE - SIMPLE/ADVANCED. To be in the advanced mode the word SIMPLE should be blue and advanced black.

4. If advanced is blue click it. A message about advanced users may appear - ignore it - using the advanced mode is easy.

SETTING UP PSI FOR MAXIMUM ASSISTANCE
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1. Click on the SETTINGS tab.

2. The top box should be empty & the two remaining boxes ticked.

3. Right at the bottom is a facility to create Global Ignore Rules. By default PSI scans & publishes the results on all the hard drives of a PC. OEM partition (reinstallation) drives (normally drive D),second internal or external drives SOLELY used to backup your work & C:\Windows\i386 which can be ignored as they have no exposure. To save confusion in the future (by way of "false positives") U may consider it a good idea to create some Global rules now.

4. A separate Ignore Rule is required for each drive which can be set up as follows:

a.Click on CREATE IGNORE RULE

b.In the RULE NAME BOX insert something like MY BACKUP DRIVE (MY PARTITION DRIVE)

c.In the RULE BOX type D:\(or the drive letter U wish to ignore) - For folder i386 use C:\Windows\i386.

d.Click SAVE IGNORE RULE>CLOSE

All drives will continue to be scanned by default but the result from the ignored list will not be published.

This thread has an article by @Anthony Wells that may also be of help in understanding the advanced mode:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/375...

It does not contain details of the auto update feature but that is very simple to use. There is a list of programmes under AUTO UPDATES - just tick (check mark) any U want PSI to auto update for U.

If a new Forum Member U might find these interesting reading as well:

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Update 6 18:08 22/07/2010

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
lexel RE: Date Execution Prevention
Member 4th Aug, 2010 16:42
Score: 0
User Since: 1st Aug 2010
Thanks for the response. I tried the alternative version but still have the same problem. The rest of the details in the post are not relevant as I cannot get into the program at all. It is when I launch the main program from start menu when Windows intervenes and so I cannot get into the main program interface as Windows closes the whole program before it loads.

Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Date Execution Prevention
Handling Contributor 4th Aug, 2010 17:46
Score: 11865
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 4th Aug, 2010 17:47
To install and run the Secunia PSI you will need administrative privileges. Are U running it in that mode?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Date Execution Prevention
Expert Contributor 4th Aug, 2010 18:33
Score: 2463
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Quite a number of posters to this Forum have a problem with both versions 1.5.0.2 and 1.9.0.2 of the PSI not launching in XP SP3 , although none have specified a DEP problem

Some have had success in going back to version 1.5.0.1 ; here is a link for that version:-

ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup1501.exe

It might help if nothing else obvious works .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Skeptia-9 RE: Data Execution Prevention
Member 9th Aug, 2010 06:50
Score: 42
User Since: 15th Mar 2010
For lexel:

On the chance that Data Execution Prevention (DEP) configuration details on my WinXP Home SP-3 system might help you, here they are

For the sake of brevity, a quick method of displaying "System Properties" in WinXP is

Press the [MS key] + [Pause/Break] (in lieu of using the "Control Panel")

Then follow the trail:

"System Properties" > "Advanced" > Performance "Settings" > "Performance Options" > "Data Execution Prevention"

The default choice is ticked--i.e., the button beside "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only."

My 5-year-old PC's microprocessor lacks the hardware-based technology designed to mark memory locations as non-executable. Furthermore, I have never turned on DEP "for all programs and services except those I select," and do not know what problems that action might cause. So, my security posture is not supported by all the benefits that Microsoft's DEP has the potential to provide.

Secunia's PSI ver. 1.5.0.2 loads flawlessly at startup and functions with nary a hiccup on my system. Although I would love to test the hypothesis that your DEP configuration is the culprit that has caused ver. 1.5.0.2 to fail to load on some WinXP SP-3 machines, I am not going to do it. I just finished renovating my Methuselah computer, adding memory, storage space, and cleaning great wads of cat and dog hair from its innards. I need to protect my pristine copy of WinXP SP-3 from experimental mishaps, because I am no geek.

Good luck,

Skeptia-9
WinXP SP-3, PSI ver. 1.5.0.2
Was this reply relevant?
+3
rtboyce RE: Date Execution Prevention
Member 12th Aug, 2010 18:47
User Since: 9th Aug 2010
Last edited on 12th Aug, 2010 18:59
I've just encountered this problem after installing PSI on a computer newly-upgraded to XP SP3. I had no problem with installing PSI on my main computer running with XP3 with DEP protection enabled. Very useful software.

I'll try installing the previous version.

[Edit]The previous version seems to be working.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
slaphappy22 RE: Data Execution Prevention
Member 13th Aug, 2010 20:56
User Since: 13th Aug 2010
Last edited on 13th Aug, 2010 20:59
Wanted to add a comment to this thread;

I had the exact same issue of Data Execution Prevention (DEP) blocking the installation of Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2. This computer (HP) has a clean install of Windows XP SP3. I followed very closely all the suggestions/instructions for IE settings. I then tried to install version 1.9.0.2 and it was still blocked every time it tried to open. THE ONLY THING THAT WORKED was to install the earlier version 1.5.0.1 (thanks tons for this suggestion!).

I should also note that Windows provides a way to set program exceptions for DEP (system properties > advanced > performance "settings" > Data Execution Prevention, tab). Secunia PSI showed up automatically in the exceptions list, however I tired selecting it (and rebooting) on both installation attempts for 1.5.0.2 and 1.9.0.2 and it did NOT help.

Hopefully this bug has been reported to technicians, if there is some place that I should report this bug please let me know.

Thanks

P.S. the topic subject line of this thread has a slight typo, it should be "Data" not "Date"
Was this reply relevant?
+0
rtboyce RE: Date Execution Prevention
Member 13th Aug, 2010 21:06
User Since: 9th Aug 2010
After fulling setting up the old version and allowing the first scan to complete, I tried reinstalling the latest version. It triggered uninstallation, then installed, then ran without a problem, including a new scan, inheriting the setup information I'd put in for the old version. So, at least there's a workaround.

I never tried running without the protection of DEP. That protection helps to protect the rest of the system when a program goes haywire, whether accidentally or deliberately. People who encounter this problem should not try to shoot the DEP messenger.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 14th Aug, 2010 13:15
Last edited on 14th Aug, 2010 13:17
HI ,

This somewhat/closely related (non_specified DEP) thread is running alongside this one :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/482...

Secunia are looking for more info on the problem , so you might like to post there or make contact direct by email to support@secunia.com

As they do not work on the PSI at weekends , you might wait until Monday CET to see if they come here themselves .

I will mail them anyway and report the thread similarity and your offer of help .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Skeptia-9 RE: Data Execution Prevention
Member 14th Aug, 2010 18:05
Score: 42
User Since: 15th Mar 2010
Last edited on 14th Aug, 2010 18:15
"I never tried running without the protection of DEP. That protection helps to protect the rest of the system when a program goes haywire, whether accidentally or deliberately. People who encounter this problem should not try to shoot the DEP messenger."

This quote from rtboyce's post, 13th Aug, 2010 21:06, is absolutely correct. I did not intend to advocate running WinXP Home SP-3, 32-bit with DEP completely disabled; however, I understand what I wrote above could be interpreted that way. Thank you very much for pointing that out.

It is not possible to completely disable DEP in my WinXP Home SP-3, 32-bit system, by using the dialogue found at the end of this path: "System Properties" > "Advanced" > Performance "Settings" > "Performance Options" > "Data Execution Prevention". There are 2 choices, and one or the other must be ticked. If one does not choose
--> "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:", then
--> "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services" is ticked by default. One cannot turn the DEP software protections completely off.

I pointed out that my DEP configuration was the default choice, and I was not benefitting from what DEP has the potential to offer for these reasons:
--> My DEP configuration was the default choice.
--> The microprocessor in my old machine is out-of-date. It does not support hardware-based Data Execution Prevention.

I also implied I was afraid to change my DEP configuration to benefit from the software protections for all programs (not just those of MS software), because I don't have the background and skills to work my way out of major computer problems.

I have been closely following this thread. Also, the thread pointed to by Anthony Wells at

I am no geek, but I do love to tinker. Several days ago, I investigated the copy of PSI's ver. 1.5.0.2 "psi.exe" file on my WinXP SP-3 system a few steps further by using the Sysinternals Process Explorer. My findings indicated I should uninstall PSI ver. 1.5.0.2 immediately, because it contained the "psi.exe" file created by Secunia last 28 May, which had been on my machine since 04 June.

Following a reboot, I snatched the current version 1.5.0.2 (latest release: 28th May, 2010) of "psi.setup.exe" from Secunia's website and made haste to reinstall PSI ver. 1.5.0.2, which contained a "psi.exe" file created by Secunia 21st July, 2010.

This exercise has taught me a great lesson in paying attention to details. When subsequent testing indicated the 21st July edition of ver. 1.5.0.2 loaded at startup and functioned flawlessly, I changed my DEP configuration to "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:" The "exceptions" box was blank and remains so. Also, please note the only version of the PSI, which my fresh installation of WinXP Home SP-3, done 04 June, has ever seen is ver 1.5.0.2.

My system continues to run without problems as a whole, and PSI ver. 1.5.0.2 continues to load at startup and functions just fine. Furthermore, my security posture is stronger, because I reconfigured DEP to include all programs and services, not just Microsoft software.

Secunia has distinguished 21st July ver.1.5.0.2 of the PSI with the word "permanent" showing in the Process Explorer, so one cannot confuse DEP-enabled software with DEP-disabled software when "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:" is chosen. It would be helpful if all other developers of DEP-enabled Windows third-party software would follow Secunia's lead. As noted in Mr. Alin Rad Pop's research paper, which you can read by pasting this into your browser
http://secunia.com/gfx/pdf/DEP_ASLR_2010_paper.pdf
very few have taken advantage of DEP's security features offered by Windows.

Thank you,
Skeptia-9

WinXP Home SP-3, 32-bit
Secunia PSI ver. 1.5.0.2, 21 July, 2010 edition
"Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:" now enabled
Was this reply relevant?
+1
This user no longer exists RE: Date Execution Prevention
Member 16th Aug, 2010 09:39
Hi,

In order to debug this issue, it would help tremendeously if all users with 1.5.0.2 or 1.9.0.2 installed who are currently experiencing this problem (Or the problem discussed in http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/482...) send us an email (support@secunia.com) containing your Operating system, Service Pack level, patch level (if you have any missing patches installed), Installed Software (as much as you can/want to tell us), DEP settings, etc.

We could also use an "event viewer" log from you, starting with the PSI's launch and ending with it's crash. For more information about event viewer, please see http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/w...

When creating the event viewer log, ideally you close most other processes and record the PSI from the beginning to the end.

If you've removed ver. 1.5.0.2 and are now successfully running 1.5.0.1, it would be helpful if you can temporarily installed version 1.5.0.2 and send us the aforementioned information.

If you are experiencing the problem (Or the other similar problem) in a version other than 1.5.0.2, please note this in the email.

thanks in advance for your help.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
weedtort RE: Date Execution Prevention
Member 22nd Aug, 2010 15:58
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
You are not alone. Same problem after I downloaded latest version on an HPa1726x desktop with Windows Vista SP2 installed after a clean re-install of the OS. I think Secunia has a serious problem. Prior .01 version works fine so I thank the person who provided that link. DEP does not allow Secunia to be put on OK list. Says it has to run with DEP running. Time for Secunia folks to "rethink" their "new, improved" version. Appreciate their work, but just like the good folks at Microsoft whose most recent set of updates just crashed millions of computers and forced a clean recovery and re-install, the best of intentions are not good enough. Somebody is not testing the product in the real world on real machines. Fortunately, Secunia's error-prone product only affects itself and it was a free product to boot. Microsoft on the other hand has even less excuse for putting out patches to their soft-junk that we pay for that cause irreparable endless restart loops. Thank you for allowing me to vent. But when this many people have a problem, someone did not do his or her job (or their jobs.)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 22nd Aug, 2010 16:26
Last edited on 22nd Aug, 2010 16:32
@weedtort ,

On the "other" thread Emil Petersen asks if anyone with a non XP SP3 OS has the 1.5.0.1/1.5.0.2/1.9.0.2 problem . You appear to be the first to mention Vista in the "going back to 1.5.0.1" fix .

You don't say which version(s) were/are involved and whether you have tried all three .

Secunia will be back Monday CET ; if they do not pick up/post here , you may like to advise them by email to support@secunia.com

Take care

Anthony

PS : Who says they are not testing in the real world ?? They are with 1.9.0.2 . This problem has just surfaced , cuold even be associated with a specific OEM or an M$ update No one knows as yet , so a bit early to apportion blame .

Nohhing is 100% , except death and taxes and there are no free lunches , not even for te most cunning :))).

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+