Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: MS Access 2003

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft Access 2003

This thread has been marked as locked.
Thomas2196 MS Access 2003
Member 3rd Aug, 2010 07:06
Ranking: 0
User Since: 3rd Oct, 2009
System Score: N/A
Sorry for warming up an old issue: PSI keeps recording an issue with MS Access 2003, although at present there are no MS updates available on this subject. My system is completely up-to-date; all necessary reboots have been performed. What can I do now - except for creating an exception rule? (which I wouldn't like to do as the related file is the active one)

Thanks in advance for your support.

mogs RE: MS Access 2003
Expert Contributor 3rd Aug, 2010 07:24
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello,
There was a similar problem only yesterday...see this thread :-http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/493...
You might wish to see if Secunia come back to it later on. Regards

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
tgmct RE: MS Access 2003
Member 3rd Aug, 2010 07:24
Score: 1
User Since: 3rd Aug 2010
You are not the only one... I'm having the same issue. In my case I have MSOffice 2003 in an XP SP3 environment (32 bit). Some additional things I've noticed is that PSI is misreading the version header of MSACCESS.EXE. The installed program is version 11.0.8321.0 but PSI detects it as 11.0.8221.0. The latest patch for Access 2003 is KB981716 and it is in fact installed and there are no outstanding patches waiting in Microsoft Update either. The library ACCWIZ.DLL that is the real target of this patch is also verified to be at required version 11.0.8325.0 for this file (the latest). I even went so far as to do a installation repair of MS Office and rescanned the machine with MS Update. But there is still no change and PSI is still reporting the application as insecure. Hopefully someone from Secunia will see this thread and pass on the issue to the appropriate people. Too bad this forum does not have the capability to insert screenshots of this information.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Aug, 2010 07:34
OK, another wrinkle... As I mentioned before there is a version mismatch and PSI says it's insecure in that tab. BUT when I look at the Overview tab of PSI it reports a 100% system score and a green bar. How can this be? In the past PSI would go yellow if any insecure applications are detected. I'm also wondering if my somewhat large quantity of installed software on this machine might be impacting things (273 applications recognized by PSI).
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: MS Access 2003
Member 3rd Aug, 2010 09:11
Last edited on 3rd Aug, 2010 09:12 Hi,

Does a quick rescan of just MS Access change the results as compared to a full rescan?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Aug, 2010 10:09
on 3rd Aug, 2010 09:11, wrote:
Does a quick rescan of just MS Access change the results as compared to a full rescan?

Well, the scanning brings up another issue... When you attempt to rescan only the application, PSI responds with, "In order to rescan programs included with the operating system itself, a full system scan is required. Please confirm that you wish to run a full system scan now." I can't imagine the day that Microsoft will ever include Access as part of the OS. But I've seen this sort of thing with other Microsoft products in PSI before too. But I suspect that this is probably unrelated with the other issues that we have been discussing. The bottom line is that MS Access (2003) is still showing as insecure.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Aug, 2010 10:15
Hi,

Could one of you please submit a software suggestion for MSACCESS.EXE on a system flagged as Insecure by the PSI after you've rebooted, rescanned, and rechecked for patches?

I could then look at any miscorrospondence between our recorded rules and the files you have.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Aug, 2010 10:32
on 3rd Aug, 2010 10:15, wrote:
Hi,

Could one of you please submit a software suggestion for MSACCESS.EXE on a system flagged as Insecure by the PSI after you've rebooted, rescanned, and rechecked for patches?

I could then look at any miscorrospondence between our recorded rules and the files you have.

Well, I would like too but I'm having issues with software suggestion working with anything since I upgraded my MSIE browser to version 8 a while back (Unable to get data from the selected file). I was thinking of reporting this too but I'm not trying to be a beta test site either. Is there a way I could upload some specific data you are looking for?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Aug, 2010 10:37
Hi,

If you're having problems submitting software suggestions, please try the methods in our FAQ item here: http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Aug, 2010 18:44
I verified all the MSIE settings are as your FAQ requests but the software suggestion functionality is still not working. I even rebooted the machine. I really don't have the time available to debug this problem as well. So, we need to move forward without that resource for now. As I suggested earlier, there must be another way of getting to the data you are looking for and posting it back to this thread. One thing is pretty clear, the latest MS Access patch for Office 2003 users has thrown PSI for a loop where there are a number of people that are showing the same version mismatch error.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
E.Jeppesen RE: MS Access 2003
Secunia Official 4th Aug, 2010 12:15
Score: 220
User Since: 24th Nov 2008
To be able to send us software suggestions, please add https://psi.secunia.com to the trusted sites in Internet Explorer.
Member 4th Aug, 2010 19:14
on 4th Aug, 2010 12:15, E.Jeppesen wrote:
To be able to send us software suggestions, please add https://psi.secunia.com to the trusted sites in Internet Explorer.

The FAQ already had me add these:
http://*.secunia.com
https://*.secunia.com
Adding the psi subdomain would be redundant where I'm already trusting the entire domain globally. In any event, there is apparently more to how the software suggestion piece works than what your FAQ has to suggest. All of the actions have been performed and the machine has been rebooted several times yet it still does not work. I know I was able to use it a long time ago (years) but I know it hasn't worked since MSIE was upgraded to version 8 (from 6).
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 5th Aug, 2010 09:54
tgmct,
Have you tried to reset all settings in IE? If you have customized your IE settings you would obviously loose those settings, but it might solve the issue.

Please make sure to be logged in as administrator when performing these changes.
Member 5th Aug, 2010 10:22
The software suggestion has been sent and marked as being a diagnostic.

Tim
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 6th Aug, 2010 16:11
Last edited on 6th Aug, 2010 16:17
tgmct,
Thank you for the software suggestion, it is received. We are currently examining the course of the issue and if you'd like to assist us further I would appreciate a screenshot of the Insecure-tab in the PSI showing Microsoft Access 2003 and the "Version Detected" column.
Please send to support@secunia.com
Member 6th Aug, 2010 16:49
An email has been sent containing a screenshot of the PSI insecure item display (with version info and file path) and another screenshot that displays the actual file version information of the installed MSAccess.exe file.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 9th Aug, 2010 14:20
Hi,

Does installing this patch change your results?
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?fa...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Aug, 2010 15:42
Last edited on 9th Aug, 2010 15:44
on 9th Aug, 2010 14:20, wrote:
Hi,

Does installing this patch change your results?

This question of yours has already been answered already (and in detail) during my first comments in this topic thread. Please look at toward the beginning of this message chain (shows as the third message when I view it) and you should find the exact results found.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Aug, 2010 15:49
Hi,

I have read your earlier posts, and you do not mention whether or not you've manually installed the patch I linked earlier. I've made some internal changes, and I believe that either rescanning, or applying the patch, rebooting and *then* rescanning should hopefully show you as up to date.

Does applying the patch, rebooting and rescanning change anything?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Aug, 2010 17:40
The patch was originally installed by Microsoft Update on July 14th. During the diagnosis of this issue I did try to manually install this patch, but the installer refused to process it where it was already installed (expected behavior).

I just rebooted and rescanned and MS Access 2003 no longer shows as an insecure application. Also, I took a look at it in the patched list and PSI now displays the correct version number.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+