Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Vista SP2 again

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Bootlebarth Vista SP2 again
Member 5th Aug, 2010 15:09
Ranking: 1
User Since: 5th Aug, 2010
System Score: 100%
Recently PSI has taken to reporting Vista SP2 as a category 4 threat. There is no indication of a URL to follow up just N/A.

The link to Microsoft produces the 0x80070002 error.
A direct attempt to load SP2 produces the response that this update does not apply to your system.
A check of the O/S indicates that SP2 has been applied and that there are no current available Windows Updates.

I have been through the tedius preocess of deleting the data store etc to try and remove the 0x80070002 error message AND uninstalled an re-installed PSI all to no avail.

Presumably some recent update or installation is triggering PSI to finger SP2 but what? Is it a real threat? How can I track it down?

I do use iobit Advanced SystemCare Professional which does mess with the registry - but this hasn't caused any problems before.

--
Dell Dimension C521 2Gb RAM
Vista Home Premium SP2 32bit IE8
Kaspersky Internet Security iobit Advanced SystemCare Pro

Leendert Kip Vista SP2 again
Member 5th Aug, 2010 15:21
Score: 65
User Since: 22nd Jan 2009
Last edited on 5th Aug, 2010 15:24
on 5th Aug, 2010 15:09, Bootlebarth wrote:
I do use iobit Advanced SystemCare Professional which does mess with the registry - but this hasn't caused any problems before.

I too used ASC Pro in the past and it messed up my registry. After that I am unable to install several Windows updates. Microsoft support in the
Netherlands investigated my problems and looked into my system by remote support. Their advice: to solve the problems re-install Vista from the dvd's and stop using registry cleaners. Registry cleaners are te be used by people who know what they are doing!

--
PC: JJ Computer Services
Intel Core I3 2100 3.1Ghz
DDR3 Kingston ValueRam 4GB 1333
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits SP1
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Laptop: MSI GT780DX
Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Bootlebarth RE: Vista SP2 again
Member 5th Aug, 2010 15:29
Score: 1
User Since: 5th Aug 2010
Sage advice but I wonder if anyone knows exactly what they are doing when it comes to editing the registry. It is easy for MS to provide such lofty advice and imply that lesser mortals should not mess with things they do not understand. The only safe course of action is to never switch the machine on - no problems then.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 5th Aug, 2010 15:47
I can see some flotsam and jetsom in the registry as the control panel/System process reports products long since uninstalled. How does MS suggest we prune these?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Aug, 2010 17:31
Last edited on 5th Aug, 2010 17:34
on 5th Aug, 2010 15:29, Bootlebarth wrote:
The only safe course of action is to never switch the machine on - no problems then.

I fully agree with you, but then? Never buy a pc? Not a good alternative. Generally spoken, I have my pc and software reasonably under control and when I'm not sure or problems occur I ask for advice from the real gurus.

--
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: Vista SP2 again
Contributor 6th Aug, 2010 06:35
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
Hi all;

If you don't mind my butting in, I tried Iobits free stuff and also found it to be much too invasive. One must weigh the pros & cons of any 'automatic' utility that makes changes to the system.

Another thread was discussing the MS Fixit Center. http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/494... It was mentioned that Fixit changes IE8 settings when you automatically fix things. Even MS utilities can muck it up.

I now take a light approach at maintenance. My personal favorites are Piriform Ccleaner & Defraggler and Avira & Malwarebytes AV/Anti-whatever, all freeware. (These are just my current favorites.)

I suggest that each individual needs to find what's right for them. Some can only handle "cleanmgr" & Windows own defrag, others are good using "regedit" & other dangerous 'tweakers'.

Regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Contributor 6th Aug, 2010 07:03
Hi Bootlebarth;

I need to say up front that I do not have Vista running on any machine, but I can make a suggestions from what I've seen on the forum.

Recently PSI has taken to reporting Vista SP2 as a category 4 threat. There is no indication of a URL to follow up just N/A. ...

> You do not mention if the computer has been powered down & then rebooted. (Some use Sleep or Hibernate, which is not the same.) If not, do so now, followed by a manual full scan by PSI. Does the problem continue?

... A direct attempt to load SP2 produces the response that this update does not apply to your system.
A check of the O/S indicates that SP2 has been applied and that there are no current available Windows Updates. ... Presumably some recent update or installation is triggering PSI to finger SP2 but what? Is it a real threat? How can I track it down? ...

Try this:
=======
If not already, please run PSI in Advanced Mode.

To do this click on the PSI icon, in the system tray, to open the interface. In the top right corner, is "SIMPLE" blue in color and "ADVANCED" black? If not, click on "ADVANCED".

Click on the "Insecure" tab, Click on the [+] to the left of the program in question.

In the "Toolbox" click on the "Technical details" icon. Listed under "Version Detected:" it shows the old version PSI is reporting. The "Installation Path" is where PSI is finding the old stuff.

To go there, click on the "Open Folder" icon. This will open the folder where the old file(s) is(are).
=======
As I said, not knowing the 'guts' of Vista, I'm reluctant to give any further advise. However, if someone knowledgeable doesn't step up & you need further help, I will help you research this.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+1
sooloow1 RE: Vista SP2 again
Member 6th Aug, 2010 07:25
Score: 0
User Since: 6th Aug 2010
System Score: N/A
Hi everyone!I'm new here.. I've read about your concerns and the replies.. I hope I don't encounter such problem in the future>
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 6th Aug, 2010 08:48
Last edited on 6th Aug, 2010 08:48
on 6th Aug, 2010 06:35, thedillpickl wrote:
I tried Iobits free stuff and also found it to be much too invasive. One must weigh the pros & cons of any 'automatic' utility that makes changes to the system.

From my experience IS360Free/Pro is safeto use and ASC Free/Pro is safe only when you switch off registry cleaner.

--
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Vista SP2 again
Expert Contributor 6th Aug, 2010 10:21
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
Hello Bootlebarth.
What version psi are you using ? I'm using the psi 2.0 TP with Vista and all is okay at the moment. I don't want to get into any contention 'bout registry cleaning, so feel disabled from giving much more in the way of advice.
You could try running CHKDSK, if you havn't already.....it may discover an orphaned or lost file which needs "repatriating".
Do you run the Memory Diagnostics Tool in Vista....I use it once a month.
Hope something is found of some help...........regards.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Aug, 2010 11:57
Thanks for the reply. I have done all those things running in advanced mode etc. But PSI just reports N/A under the technical details. Yes I have uninstalled PSI and downloaded a fresh copy selecting Vista 32 bit version.

I also use iobit360 Malwarebystes and Kaspersky Internet Security.

Although I have no hard evidence I suspect (as a hypothesis) that PSI is objecting to some fluff that has been uncovered by a recent upgrade. The last being a Visual C bug. I have had a similar problem months ago which went away. This latest one seems to be sticky and I cannot even mark it as an exception since there is no infromation as to the offending folder.

Also I have had no problems with Iobit tidying up Microsofts droppings in the registry. I hate to think how horrendous the registry must become if you never clean it as Microsoft recommend - rather like the assumption that we will all look for the "any key" and not find it.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Vista SP2 again
Expert Contributor 6th Aug, 2010 12:58
Score: 2414
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 6th Aug, 2010 13:01
@bootlebarth ,

Have you run a crosscheck with the (free) Belarc Advisor to see if it can identify an M$ security patch missing ??

http://belarc.com/free_download.html

Anthony

PS : Registry Cleaners are only a problem when they break something ; until then "ignorance is bliss" :))

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Aug, 2010 15:41
Tried that and Belarc reports all is hunky dory.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 6th Aug, 2010 20:54
on 6th Aug, 2010 15:41, Bootlebarth wrote:
Tried that and Belarc reports all is hunky dory.

I lean toward recommending to ignore this unless it continues for more than a month. If Belarc says you're OK & PSI isn't pointing at a particular file, I'll say it's a false positive (weak conviction). It's odd that Emil or Morten (Secunia Officials) haven't addressed this thread. If the problem persists, after a month, I would start a new thread to get Secunia's attention (and ours).

on 6th Aug, 2010 11:57, Bootlebarth wrote:
... rather like the assumption that we will all look for the "any key" and not find it.

It's under the last card slot cover on your desktop and inside the PCMICA slot on laptops! :)))

Disclaimer: That was a joke, don't rip your machine apart looking for the "Any" key.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 6th Aug, 2010 21:04
Yes I agree with your assessment Fred together with the health warning. I found the "any key" under a table in the corner of the room. It must have fallen off when I tipped up the keyboard to empty the biscuit crumbs and dandruff.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Aug, 2010 22:24
Well I can report that the issue has gone away. I have done several things one that I should have done sooner was to force a PSI re-scan but before that I ran the latest version of ccCleaner and against all advice blasted the registry. Finally on the re-scan PSI reported that Belarc Advisor was both removed and patched (odd) but after a while it reported no issues.

So I do not know what happened but it looks as though it was a false positive of unknown origin.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Vista SP2 again
Expert Contributor 6th Aug, 2010 22:47
Score: 2414
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

@Bootlebarth,

If you still have a version of Belarc showing in the PSI "patched" tab , then what was shown as patched/removed was likely a temp file relating to Belarc being removed - possibly by CC .

Next time have a more genuine smile for the Windoze Wizard & cross fingers and toes :)) .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

thedillpickl

RE: Vista SP2 again
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability