Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Patches not acknowledged

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
npdavidw Patches not acknowledged
Member 6th Aug, 2010 00:02
Ranking: 1
User Since: 5th Aug, 2010
System Score: N/A
I've downloaded and applied the patches for Google Chrome 5.x and Sun Java JRE 1.6.x / 6.x, but PSI still says I need to patch them. I've clicked the download link a second (and third) time, but I'm getting the same file that I've already applied.

Please advise.

mogs RE: Patches not acknowledged
Expert Contributor 6th Aug, 2010 01:38
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
Firstly, as a generality, whenever you update a prog, it is often the case that the older version/file gets left behind. This, psi continues to detect, even if still in the Recycle bin. It is the case that Chrome always leaves it behind....tho' some have seen it "disappear" after a few days.
In order to gain more info regarding the file path of the vulnerability...it is best to be using psi with the Advanced interface, ( see top right of the psi panel Simple/Advanced ):if you then click on the +sign alongside the entry, it will expand . If you then click on Tech Details it will confirm the file path. If uncertain how to proceed, post that info back to the forum. It also helps in most matters to include as much info as possible;
particularly what OS you are using.
Regarding Java, there is a post here :-http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/472...
and particularly the post by Maurice Joyce which you may find of help.
You may also find it worthwhile reading thro' the FAQ's here :-http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal... if you havn't already done so.
Hope this helps.................regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+3
thedillpickl RE: Patches not acknowledged
Contributor 6th Aug, 2010 05:36
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 6th Aug, 2010 05:39
Hi npdavidw;

Welcome to the Secunia forum.

Specifically in the case of Chrome, the current version (no dev channel or beta) is 5.0.375.125 , check this by clicking the 'wrench' in the top right of Chrome, then click "About Google Chrome", this will check for updates & show version if current.

As mogs has said, use PSI in "Advanced" mode, in the "Insecure" tab, click the [+] to the left of Chrome. Click the folder icon, this will open and show the folder PSI is looking at. If the number in the folder name is smaller than the current version it needs to be deleted.

If you need more help with Chrome or Java, post back for more detail.

Regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+3
jaw001 RE: Patches not acknowledged
Member 9th Aug, 2010 01:16
Score: -9
User Since: 12th Feb 2010
I have applied the update to Sun Java JRE 1.6./6.x and have downloaded the latest version from Sun Java and Jave verifies I have the latest version, however, I still get the same message from PSI that I have a critical update. Seems like PSI has a bug!!!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
npdavidw RE: Patches not acknowledged
Member 9th Aug, 2010 01:27
Score: 1
User Since: 5th Aug 2010
My problem was a way-old version of Java that I was able to delete from the Install/Remove Programs dialog. Once I took it out, all was fine.

- DW -

on 9th Aug, 2010 01:16, jaw001 wrote:
I have applied the update to Sun Java JRE 1.6./6.x and have downloaded the latest version from Sun Java and Jave verifies I have the latest version, however, I still get the same message from PSI that I have a critical update. Seems like PSI has a bug!!!

Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+