Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: MICROSOFT UPDATES.

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as resolved.
taffy078 MICROSOFT UPDATES.
Contributor 6th Aug, 2010 09:16
Ranking: 408
User Since: 26th Feb, 2009
System Score: 100%
Thank you Mogs for your CC63 in Cyberclips advising of the record number of patched in the MS release next Tuesday.
This now raises a huge question in my mind and I'd appreciate hearing the views of others here.

BACKGROUND:
(1) I was one of the many around the world whose PCs were zapped by the disastrous MS XP SP3 update. In simple terms, this was caused by someone programming it to cater for Pentium, forgetting about those with HP / Compaq PCs with Athlon AMD. I disabled the MS auto-update facility.

But there were problems with other auto-updates too:

(2) Problems (that Maurice resolved) caused by Adobe & Java auto-updates. The solutions for the future were simple:
download Adobe stuff from filehippo (no bloatware) and
go to Control Panel - Java - Update- and uncheck "check for updates automatically".

(3) I've also disabled my auto-updates on AAW. They kick-in at boot-up and are sometime very inconvenient.

So - am I right in disabling all these auto-updates? I'm happy to spend more time checking every day.

What do you think, please?

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

Desktop: Compaq Presario (OEM) 32 bit / AMD Athlon / 2 GB RAM
XP Home - SP3/ IE8/ Norton IS - Secunia PSI v2.0.0.3003

Laptop: Win 7 / IE11 / PSI v2.0.0.3003

Post "RE: MICROSOFT UPDATES." has been selected as an answer.
Maurice Joyce RE: MICROSOFT UPDATES.
Handling Contributor 6th Aug, 2010 11:43
Score: 11744
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
System Score: N/A
As U are well aware I never use auto updaters for three very good reasons.

1. U cannot control what is being installed on your PC. If a fault occurs it is much simpler to eliminate find it/them if U know what was installed rather than letting a vendor take control of a PC automatically & having no real idea. This includes Microsoft.

2. They use resources.

3. By using an accurate mail notification system 3rd party update notifier(s) programmes that some use can be uninstalled.

The best way to update a programme is normally via the vendor site as opposed to a 3rd party site. U can then read the vendors instructions. This is particularly important with driver downloads.

As always there are exceptions - definitions for any anti viral programme should be allowed to run & of course the system clock. I do not use the Adobe site for certain downloads because they use a useless download manager which is not really required.

Accurate notification of vendor updates is achieved by registering your programme & being notified by Email or RSS feed when one is available.

Exactly the same can be done with Microsoft. U can be notified in advance of any upcoming patches & read the vendors detail.

Two links that help achieve this are:

Microsoft - just use your Live ID to sign up to the newsletters that interest U the most.They include the August update notification here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin...

There are some good ones to help home users with Office/Security/PC set up - all free & delivered to your PC without the need to search the web.

This is one of a few programmes that monitor any programme U have installed once set up by the user.

http://www.changedetection.com/monitorpage2.html

Both are simple to set up & U then sit back & await notification.

U could say the same about OSI & PSI.Secunia have an excellent email notification system without using the programme. That said, to the majority I would advise this is one exception & it is perhaps best left installed. If nothing else it gives the "Feel Good Factor",has an excellent toolbox for fault finding & an auto updater THAT CAN BE CONTROLLED by the user.

Hope this helps.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+6
taffy078 RE: MICROSOFT UPDATES.
Contributor 6th Aug, 2010 11:56
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
How could I forget your "chocolate teapot" comments about Adobe, Maurice!

I wasn't sure about your view on MS. Thanks for this.

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

Desktop: Compaq Presario (OEM) 32 bit / AMD Athlon / 2 GB RAM
XP Home - SP3/ IE8/ Norton IS - Secunia PSI v2.0.0.3003

Laptop: Win 7 / IE11 / PSI v2.0.0.3003
Was this reply relevant?
+0
bjm__ RE: MICROSOFT UPDATES.
Member 11th Aug, 2010 23:16
Score: 64
User Since: 9th Mar 2009
The Microsoft Security Newsletter
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/cc3074...

Thnx Maurice for > http://www.changedetection.com/monitorpage2.html
changedetection.com is new site for me ... looks like a winner !

Cheers
bjm-
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability