xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (64-bit)

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package

This thread has been marked as locked.
DrBB01 Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (64-bit)
Member 9th Aug, 2010 20:26
Ranking: 0
User Since: 12th Jan, 2008
System Score: N/A
In scanning, I have started receiving a message that Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (64-bit) is insecure. When I click on the download button, I am taken to the MS website and I have to choose from among three files to download. I am using Win7-64, so I click on that download. However, when I run the installation program and click on "Repair" (the only other option is "Uninstall"), I receive a message that the file is corrupt and the installation ends.

When I run Microsoft Update, I am told that my system is up to date. Is the installation program really corrupt? I have tried fixing the issue for four days with the same result, so I have to believe someone else would have noticed the problem by now. Could this be a bug in PSI? Or none of the above? I noticed that there are no 2010 advisories issued by Secunia for this product, so I am also puzzled why I have started receiving the notification that the program is unpatched now. [I believe the program came bundled with my laptop, purchased October 2009 and updated to Win7 in December 2009.]

FWIW, the path for the old file is: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VC\msdia90.dll.

My laptop has an 2.00 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo P7350 processor, so I don't think I should be trying to install the "AI-64 for Ithanium processors" version of the file. Any suggestions would be appreciated. If it is safe to ignore the warning message, I will.

--
Cheers,
DrBB01

thedillpickl RE: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (64-bit)
Contributor 10th Aug, 2010 01:48
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Hi DrBB01;

There have been several threads regarding this. The commonality I see is two instances of the C++ package. Look in Add/Remove, if two, remove the old version, rescan with PSI.

Did that solve it?

Other threads:
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/490...

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/492...

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/489...

Regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+2
bbiskin RE: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (64-bit)
Member 10th Aug, 2010 05:42
Score: 1
User Since: 21st May 2008
Hi Fred,

No, I only had one instance; however, after experiencing the same problem two more times ["File is corrupted."], I tried two things that others had done in the threads you sent me. The bad news is I did them both at once, so I don't know what fixed the problem. The good news is that one--or both--did fix it.

First, I closed PSI and then reopened it [Sometimes that helps when I have odd problems in updating, particularly with Flash.] Second, I re-downloaded the file--for the 7th time--but I used IE instead of Firefox. When I clicked "Run," the update installed fine.

I wish I had done one thing at a time--but at least the update finally worked!

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated. I don't know why I didn't see the other threads when I searched for the problem, but I probably over-specified the search terms.... ;-)

Best regards,

Bruce

on 10th Aug, 2010 01:48, thedillpickl wrote:
Hi DrBB01;

There have been several threads regarding this. The commonality I see is two instances of the C++ package. Look in Add/Remove, if two, remove the old version, rescan with PSI.

Did that solve it?

Other threads:
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/490...

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/492...

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/489...

Regards;

Fred

Was this reply relevant?
+1
thedillpickl RE: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (64-bit)
Contributor 10th Aug, 2010 05:56
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Hi Bruce;

Happy things worked out.

Didn't use up too much brain power on this one. Hoping you solved the problem before reading that third link in it's entirety. :) Don't think I've contributed anything on this problem. Sometimes it pays off to nose around the forum when bored, I suppose!

Search is a trick sometimes, people don't start in the right part of the forum or list anything useful in the topic header. But hey, everyone likes an Easter egg hunt, right?

Take care;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (64-bit)
Expert Contributor 10th Aug, 2010 12:16
Score: 2428
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 10th Aug, 2010 12:22
Hello Fred ,

On reading the threads , I did not get the same point of view about removing "the old version" via "add/remove" ; AFAIK C++ is not necessarily backwards compatible , so you may want to recheck your analysis of the problem .

If a programme needs an old version it calls for it ; it's not clear (to me) if removing one whether or not it will be "correctly" reloaded by the programme and if so , it will still need patching ??.

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability