Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Minimized PSI on Taskbar

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
joehathaway Minimized PSI on Taskbar
Member 11th Aug, 2010 16:46
Ranking: 0
User Since: 26th Mar, 2008
System Score: N/A
In Windows XP SP3, my Taskbar constantly displays a minimized "Secunia PSI" object, which is totally DEAD to maximizing, removal, etc. PSI 1.5.0.2 starts on Startup, as desired, but I see no use for the Taskbar object and would like it removed. Why is it there, and why is it dead? The icon in the other section of the Taskbar is live and responds to commands to open the interface, etc.

Anthony Wells RE: Minimized PSI on Taskbar
Expert Contributor 11th Aug, 2010 17:01
Score: 2463
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

@joehathaway ,

I remember someone posting this same problem last year - sorry I can't remember who or when nor if the problem was resolved . I don't have time to search for the tread ATM ; perhaps someone else remembers .

Does it ever (re)activate if you (re) load/minimise/maximise etc. ??

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Minimized PSI on Taskbar
Expert Contributor 11th Aug, 2010 22:56
Score: 2463
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

@joehathaway ,

This is the previous thread where a similar problem occurred :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/310...

Lots of words , but no solution . Unlocking the tray will give you more space at the expense of the page if the Secunia button is taking up to much place .

Lassie Lamb Chop posted a new thread 5 days ago , but it is locked , as is te one I have linked you to above .

Not sure what else to suggest ; a last resort is to uninstall the PSI , reboot or better cold restart and re-install the same or a different version :-

1.5.0.2 :

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

1.9.0.2 (test version with "auto-updates") stable :

http://secunia.com/PSISetupAUTP.exe

or 1.5.0.1 (has helped some people with a different problem on XP SP3) :

ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup1501.exe

Best I can do for now , see what you think .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
This user no longer exists RE: Minimized PSI on Taskbar
Member 12th Aug, 2010 09:18
Hi,

There have recently been some issues with version 1.5.0.2. While we are investigating, you could downgrade to version 1.5.0.1, which should not be affected, and can be downloaded here (Or above in Anthony's post): ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup1501.exe

If you would like to help us investigate this issue as fast as possible, you could provide us with some of the logs from your event viewer. These should preferably start some time before the PSI was launched, and continue until it either crashes or you kill it (which should be possible from process manager whether it's freezing or not). We want the logs for version 1.5.0.2, obviously. For more information about event viewer, please see http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/w...

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
joehathaway RE: Minimized PSI on Taskbar
Member 12th Aug, 2010 23:19
Score: 0
User Since: 26th Mar 2008
I did not intend to suggest that PSI was freezing or failing in any way. It appears to be running just fine, but I sometimes have the words "Secunia PSI" appearing on my FireFox taskbar (to the left of the screen). To the right, where icons are displayed for all active programs, I have the 3-bar chevron symbol also. Using the chevron, I can open the interface, exit the program, etc. No amount of any sort of clicking on the left program name (Secunia PSI) has any effect at all.

Now,let me correct the above statements. Today, I can open the interface and have the words Secunia PSI appear on the taskbar by minimizing the interface. If I click the upper-right corner X the interface goes away, with no words left on the taskbar. HOWEVER, the taskbar words are NOT dead; I can maximize or end the interface by clicking Secunia PSI options, and the words go away. On the day I wrote of my problem, and on many previous days, the text Secunia PSI was totally dead as a link; in no way could I do anything with it or make it go away. However, Secunia was running and the chevron icon worked as designed.

This "problem" is really not worth much more commotion; I can live easily with it, and it will disappear sometime in the future, I am sure. THANK YOU to the respondents!

Joe
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+