xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: I'll manage without the "greenies" !

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI 2.0 Beta

This thread has been marked as resolved.
mogs I'll manage without the "greenies" !
Expert Contributor 11th Aug, 2010 19:09
Ranking: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr, 2009
System Score: 100%
No more update probs with IE and Flash ! And some saving of some space !
I'm gonna manage without the shiny bits in the psi Overview, and let Chrome dev and Canary build do it for me ! No need of the Adobe uninstaller either.....I must be two progs less vulnerable?! I havn't been bitten....it's more like I've been kissed ?!

--

Post "RE: I'll manage without the "greenies" !" has been selected as an answer.
Anthony Wells RE: I'll manage without the "greenies" !
Expert Contributor 11th Aug, 2010 20:06
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 11th Aug, 2010 20:08
Hey Mogs ,

You know that the PSI still uses the embedded part of IE , I never know just how accessible it remains , as such , to the bad guys .

You can run IE out of Chrome using the IE Tab ; that does expose the browser to any/all IE vulnerabilities and the bad guys . You need it to get M$ updates or maybe you don't in Vista .

If you are not using IE then the ActiveX Flash exposure should be limited ; it is also patched (as of now) so of equal vulnerability to NPAPI or the embedded in Chrome .

Be brave set the PSI controls for the sun/auto-updates of Flash ActiveX and get your shiny things back , you know you'll miss them :)))

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: I'll manage without the "greenies" !
Expert Contributor 11th Aug, 2010 20:46
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Don't know anything 'bout an IE tab in Chrome Anthony !! Is it another extension ?
I took the decision to uninstall the IE Flash on the grounds of space/efficiency on my lappy....and Secunia's advice regarding running unnecessary progs. No, it's not worth being brave for a couple of shiny bits.....it might be, if it was additional armour ?!! Don't tell me......you've already tried Canary build Chrome ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: I'll manage without the "greenies" !
Expert Contributor 11th Aug, 2010 21:10
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 11th Aug, 2010 21:15
Yep , IE Tab is an extension that runs the IE engine inside the Chrome browser but , as I said , still has all the associated vulnerabilities ; however , it gets the extra protection of being in the Chrome "sandbox" .

Not tried Canary , Dev channel is close enuff to the bleeding edge and it doesn't seem to crash (my priority) and follows a progression - embedded Flash and PDF reader , etc. Not sure overnight change interests me , other things to do .

Having just changed my system around , I've changed Adobe Reader for Nuance's Zeon plus . Trying to find/move to the least exposed/vulnerable software that I can -not as easy as it sounds - of course no getting away from good ole Flash !! At the same time it is an interesting passtime - all Freeware , nothing commercial - and so finding the "paid" quality equivalent can be tricksy , tho' Gizmo helps .

For example would a top firewall :eg: Commodo , plus say Avira's Antivir and Prevx3 match a multi $ internet suite ???

Faster , freer , higher - oops !

Mind how you go .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

mogs

RE: I'll manage without the "greenies" !
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer