xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: has Secunia gone ballistic?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
szellin has Secunia gone ballistic?
Member 12th Aug, 2010 20:58
Ranking: 0
User Since: 11th Aug, 2010
System Score: N/A
Yesterday I had no threats today I have 21.

On this computer secunia says I have a security threat on mozilla firefox 2.0.015. yes this program is in my add delete programs but so is mozilla firefox 3.6.8. Why doesn't secunia just remove the 2.0.015 as I think it is useless but does it provide a security threat? If I do delete it will it mess up the 3.6.8?

I am no software genius.

In addition it shows multiple listings for 8 other programs.

What is happening with Secunia?

Anthony Wells RE: has Secunia gone ballistic?
Expert Contributor 12th Aug, 2010 21:20
Score: 2384
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 12th Aug, 2010 22:20
@szellin ,

The PSI will only advise you whether a programme has a security vulnerability or not ; it will neiter upload , install or delete anything on it's own . It will give you advice and links to help/solutions , only you can decide to take action .

You can safely delete the old version of Firefox from "add/remove" .

To deal with your other problems , i will post some instructions in a few minutes .

Anthony

As promised , here is a copy of Maurice Joyce's most excellent instructions for using te PSI in "Advanced" mode . Once you have read/applied/used them post the details of your problems here :eg : OS , version of the PSI , the "installation path" to each problem , etc . :-

Quote : Maurice Joyce :
SETTING UP PSI IN THE ADVANCED MODE
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Are U using the latest version of PSI that has the added feature of automatic updates for some programmes? If not,and U would like to try it the download link is here:
http://secunia.com/PSISetupAUTP.exe

Whatever version U currently use try this:

1. Open PSI by clicking the System tray icon or right click the icon & select Reload Interface.

2.Select the OVERVIEW tab.

3. In the top right corner U will see INTERFACE MODE - SIMPLE/ADVANCED. To be in the advanced mode the word SIMPLE should be blue and advanced black.

4. If advanced is blue click it. A message about advanced users may appear - ignore it - using the advanced mode is easy.

SETTING UP PSI FOR MAXIMUM ASSISTANCE
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1. Click on the SETTINGS tab.

2. The top box should be empty & the two remaining boxes ticked.

3. Right at the bottom is a facility to create Global Ignore Rules. By default PSI scans & publishes the results on all the hard drives of a PC. OEM partition (reinstallation) drives (normally drive D),second internal or external drives SOLELY used to backup your work & C:\Windows\i386 which can be ignored as they have no exposure. To save confusion in the future (by way of "false positives") U may consider it a good idea to create some Global rules now.

4. A separate Ignore Rule is required for each drive which can be set up as follows:

a.Click on CREATE IGNORE RULE

b.In the RULE NAME BOX insert something like MY BACKUP DRIVE (MY PARTITION DRIVE)

c.In the RULE BOX type D:\(or the drive letter U wish to ignore) - For folder i386 use C:\Windows\i386.

d.Click SAVE IGNORE RULE>CLOSE

All drives will continue to be scanned by default but the result from the ignored list will not be published.

This thread has an article by @Anthony Wells that may also be of help in understanding the advanced mode:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/375...

It does not contain details of the auto update feature but that is very simple to use. There is a list of programmes under AUTO UPDATES - just tick (check mark) any U want PSI to auto update for U.

If a new Forum Member U might find these interesting reading as well:

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Update 6 18:08 22/07/2010

EDIT : all links repaired

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Factsheets
Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability