Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: errors

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
bobbyjcy errors
Member 15th Aug, 2010 23:49
Ranking: 0
User Since: 18th Oct, 2009
System Score: N/A
No matter what I click on I get error: cannot open specified url

This user no longer exists RE: errors
Member 16th Aug, 2010 08:56
Hi,

Please try this procedure: http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/471...

Please let me know if this has solved your problem.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
bobbyjcy RE: errors
Member 16th Aug, 2010 18:40
Score: 0
User Since: 18th Oct 2009
Thank you. I have checked regedit and tried several options. Deepnet Explorer was my default browser. Since, I changed default to IE. I did get the psi links to work, but the default browser was not the issue. The issue was whether I let psi run at startup. When I allowed this, the links worked. When I did not, they did not. I do not need psi to run at system startup. When I get the secunia reminder by email, then I run a scan and update applications. I shut my pc down at night. This is to save electricity, emf fields, etc. This problem was not an issue until the last update of psi. Until then there was no problem.
Also, by the way, psi is telling me to update Microsoft word 2002. At the MSN update site, they offer me nothing for Word 2002. I am running XPSP3 and will not spring for 2010 with my current setup (that I will be running for some time yet). I guess when I run the psi I can allow the system startup and then disable it when I'm through. But one thing should not effect the other. After all is said, secunia is a vital service. Thanks again for the response and let me know if you have anything further.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ddmarshall RE: errors
Dedicated Contributor 16th Aug, 2010 20:35
Score: 1212
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
There was a security update for Word 2002 last week. If it's not coming from Microsoft Update, try Microsoft Download Center:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?fa...

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
bobbyjcy RE: errors
Member 16th Aug, 2010 23:24
Score: 0
User Since: 18th Oct 2009
The Microsoft update site anylizes pc needs. It says I need nothing about word 2002, and nothing critical at all. The download center agrees. They offer nothing for my configuration. I do not run OFFICEXP. There was something for office xp I tried to install it and it failed. Microsoft update would inform me if I needed a patch. I know nothing else to try, so psi is wrong?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: errors
Member 17th Aug, 2010 10:46
Hi,

Most upgrades for Microsoft products do not "Kick in" until after a reboot. This includes updating the File information the PSI uses to determine which version you're running. So when dealing with problems where the PSI insists on a thread from a Microsoft product, but you already have the patch installed, try following this procedure:

1) Check for new updates from Microsoft Update, install all security update
2) Reboot
3) Repeat step 1. If anything new installed, repeat step 2.
4) Rescan with the PSI.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: errors
Expert Contributor 17th Aug, 2010 12:18
Score: 2454
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 17th Aug, 2010 12:23
If you want a second opinion try seeing what Belarc has to say about your M$ security fixes :-

http://belarc.com/free_download.html

Hope that helps .

Anthony

PS : You don't say where the PSI is locating your problem , what is it's "installation path" ??

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+