Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Scan takes 11+ minutes to complete

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
OldDuffer Scan takes 11+ minutes to complete
Member 16th Aug, 2010 17:17
Ranking: -3
User Since: 10th Mar, 2008
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 16th Aug, 2010 17:40

Using Windows XP Pro SP3, Pentium D 3GHz, 2Gb ram, Secunia 1.5.0.2 & 1.9.0.0.

I use a multiboot system using Hyperos [http://www.hyperossystems.co.uk].
HDD 0 (232GB) is partitions into 9 partitions for 9 bootable copies of XP. i.e. Master, Testing, Internet, Office, Movies, Stills,Graphical, Audio & Music.
Each selected Computer (partition) boots as drive C: and has a copy of Secunia installed.

HDD 1 (232GB) has 2 data partitions.
HDD 2 (232GB) has 1 partition.
HDD 3 (1863GB) has 1 partition (for movies etc).

Total data (excluding swap files) is currently 611 GB.

Problem 1 - When a scan is made I exclude the unused windows partitions and the data drives (HDD2 + 3).
Secinia insists on scanning every drive but it ignores the data read on the excluded drives.
Why cannot an excluded drive be ignored completely.

Problem 2 - Whatever windows drive I am on, Secunia displays the results of the last scan (which can be a totally different drive i.e. the last drive scanned.
Yes I can do a rescan but does not this mean that results returned to Secunia will be inconsistent, does'nt it look like 9 separate computers to Secunia.

Perhaps I am asking too much as I must be in the minority, unlike the average user who has one operating system set as drive C: on one dedicated computer.

So my request to Secunia is:-
Can you exclude a whole drive without scanning and then ignoring the data.
Can you recognise multiboot partitions.

I fear that as drives (especially HDD 3) fill up the scanning time will increase dramatically, and if I have the other 2TB external drive connected as well.

Here are my ignore rules: D:, E:, F:, G:, H:, I:, J:, K:, L:, M:, N:, O:, P:, Q:, T:, Z:,

--
ttfn
Bob

thedillpickl RE: Scan takes 11+ minutes to complete
Contributor 16th Aug, 2010 20:43
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Hi Bob;

Welcome to the Secunia forum.

Hopefully a Secunia Official will take notice of this thread and respond. Until then, a few thoughts by me.

First, if this is a personal machine & not commercial, WOW, you have been busy.

> You may exclude by creating an Ignore Rule. as has been done. You observed that PSI will still scan these drives. This is done to supply Secunia with a database of what's out there. Please take a minute to read the why's & how's. http://secunia.com/community/commitment/

Later you mention an external 2TB drive. If these lager drives contain only movies & music, consider disconnecting them prior to a manual scan. If done weekly this will prevent automatic scans at an inopportune time.

> You have correctly concluded that PSI only recognizes the base or root system, not different instances of the same OS. Again, since PSI has scanned the entire file structure on all connected drives, it reports the same results, as PSI 'sees' only one computer. If you had another computer, the scan results would be different for that one.

The purpose is to find insecure and end of life software on the entire computer, make you aware and offer helps in fixing those. http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

on 16th Aug, 2010 17:17, OldDuffer wrote:
... Perhaps I am asking too much as I must be in the minority, unlike the average user who has one operating system set as drive C: on one dedicated computer. ...

I would not say you're asking too much, but rather, you're asking PSI to do something for which it was not intended. No matter how many instances of XP you open, it is still on one computer, with the same hard drives.

If Secunia doesn't respond to this thread and/or further action is desired you may e-mail them directly a support@secunia.com

Regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Anthony Wells RE: Scan takes 11+ minutes to complete
Expert Contributor 16th Aug, 2010 20:59
Score: 2454
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 16th Aug, 2010 21:03
Hello OldDuffer ,

If you re talking one machine , then PSI will read absolutely everything it can get it's hands on , including the TB if you link it . You have set the ignore rules so that the display you get is the one you are interested in - even if you have a lag . The PSI sees one PC and bases itself on the "C" drive indicated to it at the time - the UI is only the link between your machine and Secunia database and is fed from their server , as far as I understand .

Nothing else you can do and without putting words in their mouth , Secunia have never been shown as inclined to allow drive opt outs - they may drop in and give why's and wherefore"s .

You can only manage your time by "offpeak" scanning or disconnecting irrelevant drives where possible ; I'm sure with your set up and reasoning that is already your route .

Take care

Anthony

PS : my turn to cross with Fred - should you give plenty to cogitate , Bob .

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
This user no longer exists RE: Scan takes 11+ minutes to complete
Member 17th Aug, 2010 11:27
Hi,

We are aware that the PSI still scans paths that are set to ignore. We are also aware of the time and resource consumption this can cause our users, and are considering solutions for later releases. In the mean time, try disconnecting drives that contain only music/video/etc while scanning, as Anthony suggested.

The PSI has no immediate way of knowing which drives are the root of which operating system, and probably never will. Keep in mind that the PSI is intended for home users, and as such is designed for the majority of users.

The PSI remembers your profile and your last scan. It most likely does not reconize the difference between your operating systems, as they're on the same computer, meaning they originate from the same MAC and IP. You probably also use the same username for each user. The PSI is actually trying to do you a favor - what you see is your last scan results, and since it might mistake your operating systems for each other, it wants to be helpful, and shows you what it feels you need. For now, there is no way to change these results without rescanning.

I think, though, that you should keep your eyes on the changelogs when PSI 2.x rolls around.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
OldDuffer RE: Scan takes 11+ minutes to complete
Member 17th Aug, 2010 13:20
Score: -3
User Since: 10th Mar 2008
Hi Guys

Thank you for the lucid replies. It certainly gives me a better understanding what Secunia was designed to do.

*Yes, I am talking about one computer.
*It is a personal machine. I also have another computer that is used for Amateur Radio in my outside shed.
*I also have an iMac.
*Yes, I should unplug any external drive before scanning. I sometimes forget to do this.
*I forgot to mention that drive Z: is an NAS box permanently connected via Ethernet. I did not include that in the file size count. I do not know if Secunia scans that as well.
*I am a home user, although an unusual one.
*I am 71 and determined to enjoy every day I have left. Music, Photography - still and movie (HD).

The reasons for using Hyperos multiboot system are:
1. Keeping each copy of windows to a particular subject reduces the size of the installations.
2. This in turn reduces the problem of a re-installation i.e. having to re-install all user programs.
3. Keeping the first partition for windows with only minimal programs (like textpad) enables this to be copied to any other partition easily.
4. Hyperos has a backup system where where each computer can be copied, using winrar, to another location. This keeps each backup manageable and fits on 2 or 3 DVD's

I think Secunia is a great program, I actively recommend it.

Regards to all, and thanks again
Bob Finch G4DDM

--
ttfn
Bob
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: Scan takes 11+ minutes to complete
Contributor 17th Aug, 2010 18:21
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 17th Aug, 2010 18:24
G4DDM, QRL?;

Couldn't help but reply.

When I first read your post, the thought occurred, this guy sounds like a Ham (guess they still are called by that moniker). I never learned to code, so never tried to get licensed. Passed what is now FCC GROL (Second Class Phone, in the day) and worked with Police & Fire equipment, mostly. Regret not taking up the key when I was young. :(

Glad to hear you're still having fun and that the explanations were satisfactory. Emil hints at grate things on the horizon.

Before I go... Two types of people, one QSL's on the radio, the other has it continuously torn apart, trying to make it better. I bet I know which you are. ;)

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+1
ddmarshall RE: Scan takes 11+ minutes to complete
Dedicated Contributor 17th Aug, 2010 19:12
Score: 1212
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
Thanks for the link to HyperOs. It looks an interesting approach.

I like the look of their HyperDrive. It reminds me of the SSDs I used in the 1980s. 128MB and the size of a large wardrobe (mostly batteries).

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
This user no longer exists RE: Scan takes 11+ minutes to complete
Member 18th Aug, 2010 08:41
Hi

on 17th Aug, 2010 13:20, OldDuffer wrote:

*I forgot to mention that drive Z: is an NAS box permanently connected via Ethernet. I did not include that in the file size count. I do not know if Secunia scans that as well.

Yes, the PSI will scan anything that's attatched as a drive in Windows. If you would rather avoid this, you can disconnect the drive before you start scanning.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+