Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Auto update doing nothing

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI 2.0 Beta

This thread has been marked as resolved.
silvatek Auto update doing nothing
Member 17th Aug, 2010 12:30
Ranking: 11
User Since: 31st Aug, 2008
System Score: N/A
I've had Secunia PSI 1.9.0.2 installed for some weeks now, but it's never performed an auto-update to the best of my knowledge. I have to admit to updating Flash, Firefox and Thunderbird manually when FileHippo tells me to. I've also unchecked the Foxit update as I don't want any of the Foxit "extras" installed. I still update Foxit manually.

When I see a security update for Flash, I naturally update it quickly. Am I doing things too fast for PSI? I have Sun Java and Avast! checked but there's no update history yet.

In my ideal world, FileHippo and Secunia would be merged. :)

Post "RE: Auto update doing nothing" has been selected as an answer.
This user no longer exists RE: Auto update doing nothing
Member 17th Aug, 2010 12:37
Last edited on 17th Aug, 2010 12:39 Hi,

Are you aware that Auto-Update isn't enabled by default for any programs? If you are running a 1.9.x version of the PSI, go to the tab highlighted in red called "Auto Updates". From here, you can select which updates you want automatically installed, by checking the box next to the program name.

Once the program has been selected, the PSI stalls for a minute, then checks if the program is already running. If it's not, the update is installed. Otherwise it stalls for a minute, then checks, ad infinitum.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Auto update doing nothing
Expert Contributor 17th Aug, 2010 12:46
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 17th Aug, 2010 12:48
Sometimes Filehippo or the OSI email updater will pre-empt the PSI . I wait for the PSI to show an insecurity and then decide who will do it .

The programme needing updating will move to the top of the "a-u" listing ; if I choose to let it do the job , I then and only then , tick the box .

It has done Adobe Reader in the past (I've moved to Nuance) and recently Flash - ActiveX waits for the .ocx to "unlock" . The box will stay checked after you selected the update , so be sure you decide whether to let it continue as "a-u" choice or not .

Hope this helps .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
silvatek RE: Auto update doing nothing
Member 17th Aug, 2010 13:40
Score: 11
User Since: 31st Aug 2008
Last edited on 17th Aug, 2010 13:42
I've had 5 of the 8 boxes ticked since installing this beta version some weeks ago (could be months by now - I've lost track). At no time has PSI told me about any updates to these programs nor has it updated them, to my knowledge. Nothing has moved to the top of the list. From my point of view it's a cosmetic exercise with no apparent use. Not that I wish to run down Secunia PSI as I love it and rely on it. I've just never seen this auto-update feature actually DO anything!

Regards,
David
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Aug, 2010 14:21
Hi,

Which applications do you have auto update checked for? And what is the version of those applications?

If you wish to simply test the auto-update feature to see it working on your system, you could try downloading this (HIGHLY Insecure, strictly for testing) version of adobe reader: http://www.filehippo.com/download_adobe_reader/435...

As it's 9.0, at least 3 patches will be needed to get it up to date. Try checking the auto-update field next to this insecure installation, and let me know if it successfully updated.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
silvatek RE: Auto update doing nothing
Member 17th Aug, 2010 14:44
Score: 11
User Since: 31st Aug 2008
Emil

See here for my auto-update settings (link to Photobucket):
http://bit.ly/9TGXzG

All the version numbers are up to date and match what's installed.

Maybe I'd better be less reactive in future and wait for Secunia PSI to update programs instead of doing it myself. When my computer boots, Filehippo immediately tells me if anything is out of date - and I update it! I've had to completely uninstall and reinstall Flash players in order to remove PSI warnings about outdated software in the past.

Thanks for the Acrobat Reader suggestion, but I've only just put a lot of effort into getting Foxit working inside Firefox. So I'll pass on that, sorry.

Regards,
David
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Aug, 2010 14:51
Hi,

Yes, it speaks for itself that if you outrun our auto-updater (That, after all, does pause for a minutte) there won't be anything for it to update. At least you're staying secure. :)

Please let me know if it works out, or if have any other problems or questions.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer