Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI incorrectly ID'ing Acrobat.dll as insecure

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
JimJohnson PSI incorrectly ID'ing Acrobat.dll as insecure
Member 20th Aug, 2010 15:10
Ranking: 0
User Since: 20th Aug, 2010
System Score: N/A
Following the upgrade to Acrobat 9.3.4, PSI claims acrobat.dll is insecure and claims it is version 9.3.3.177. Checking the properties of this file I find it is actually version 9.3.4.218 modified August 13, 2010. In short, the latest version.

This is after forcing a reinstallation of the Acrobat patch, reinstalling PSI, rebooting the PC, and rescanning with PSI. ... and yes I am looking at the copy acrobat.dll as identified by PSI - I used the 'open folder' function in PSI to get to the file in question.

This user no longer exists RE: PSI incorrectly ID'ing Acrobat.dll as insecure
Member 20th Aug, 2010 15:23
Last edited on 20th Aug, 2010 15:47 Hi,

Could I ask you to submit a software suggestion for the file? You can do this by opening the Insecure, Patched or End-Of-Life tab, scrolling to the bottom, and clicking "Program Missing? Click here to suggest it!".
Please write "Attn: Emil" in the name field.

If you submit the file, I can correct the cause of the problem as soon as possible.

Edit:
I believe I have corrected the cause of the misdetection. Does a rescan now show you as secure?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
JimJohnson RE: PSI incorrectly ID'ing Acrobat.dll as insecure
Member 20th Aug, 2010 16:14
Score: 0
User Since: 20th Aug 2010
yes another rescan removed the acrobat.dll from the insecure list - thanks!

And thanks for the reminder where to post issues like this within the application.

Jim
Was this reply relevant?
+0
abeloffv RE: PSI incorrectly ID'ing Acrobat.dll as insecure
Member 20th Aug, 2010 18:19
Score: 7
User Since: 7th Sep 2009
System Score: 100%
Fixed it for me too! Thanks.

--

Vic
Was this reply relevant?
+0
walkerpb RE: PSI incorrectly ID'ing Acrobat.dll as insecure
Member 20th Aug, 2010 20:43
User Since: 3rd Aug 2010
on 20th Aug, 2010 15:23, wrote:
Hi,

Could I ask you to submit a software suggestion for the file? You can do this by opening the Insecure, Patched or End-Of-Life tab, scrolling to the bottom, and clicking "Program Missing? Click here to suggest it!".
Please write "Attn: Emil" in the name field.

If you submit the file, I can correct the cause of the problem as soon as possible.

Edit:
I believe I have corrected the cause of the misdetection. Does a rescan now show you as secure?

Sir, I just rescanned, & it still fails the OSI test. I am using OSI even though it would be more convenient to use PSI, it is not legal in this place where I volunteer (I use it at home---it is legal there). Though I am fairly competent in computer stuff (I do a bit of repairing software & hardware here), I did not understand your 'Could I ask you to submit a software suggestion for the file? You can do this by opening the Insecure, Patched or End-Of-Life tab, scrolling to the bottom, and clicking "Program Missing? Click here to suggest it!"' I am not going to use the OSI here for this round. As far as I know these 2 computers are secure & safe. So for the first time, I am ignoring Secunia.

--
Using Windows XP & OSI on 2 machines for a non-profit; Windows 7 on my Home Machine (PSI)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: PSI incorrectly ID'ing Acrobat.dll as insecure
Expert Contributor 20th Aug, 2010 21:51
Score: 2418
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

@walkerpb ,

This is a PSI thread and PSI lets you make a program suggestion .

You already have your own thread where you show an OSI detection problem ; your posting here may cause confusion for posters to this thread and other readers .

The problem is likely a "detection rules" problem and should be resolved by Secunia on Monday next .

take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
walkerpb RE: PSI incorrectly ID'ing Acrobat.dll as insecure
Member 20th Aug, 2010 22:24
User Since: 3rd Aug 2010
on 20th Aug, 2010 21:51, Anthony Wells wrote:
@walkerpb ,

This is a PSI thread and PSI lets you make a program suggestion .

You already have your own thread where you show an OSI detection problem ; your posting here may cause confusion for posters to this thread and other readers .

The problem is likely a "detection rules" problem and should be resolved by Secunia on Monday next .

take care

Anthony

Thank you sir. While I desire to respect your wishes, actually the Secunia official "broke into" the OSI forum with the above reply, & I was replying to that. I only use the forum as is; just having the problem today. I have PSI on my home machine, & will face this over the weekend. Sorry to intrude, but I never meant to do so, so with this reply, I shall leave now.

--
Using Windows XP & OSI on 2 machines for a non-profit; Windows 7 on my Home Machine (PSI)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: PSI incorrectly ID'ing Acrobat.dll as insecure
Expert Contributor 21st Aug, 2010 15:58
Score: 2418
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

@walkerpb ,

Secunia do break in , it's their job and their Forum :))

Whatever , the PSI (as in this thread) seems to detect Adobe Reader correctly ; some people are showing a mis-detection of Adobe Acrobat , with it's own thread(s).

There does seem to be an ongoing problem of the OSI not detecting the Reader as you stated in your original thread ; my posting was aimed at avoiding muddying the waters further and not a reflexion on you .

Anybody can post as they see things ; equally people are free to comment as they see things , same goes for voting .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability