Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Adobe Reader

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Adobe Reader 9.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
teemacs Adobe Reader
Member 22nd Aug, 2010 19:04
Ranking: 0
User Since: 12th Jul, 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 22nd Aug, 2010 19:04

Hello, I am a complete computer ignoramus. Secunia told me to download Adobe Reader 9.x. So, I clicked the magic button and tried to run the download, but was confronted by a bizarre message that reads:

"Format of the file <AdbeRdrUpd934_all_incr.msp> could not be determined

For display of less common format, the following option is available:
Options>General>[x]Display all image file types"

Now, I'm sure that means something to someone, but to me it might as well be written in Mandarin (oh, it is, is it...). I'd be ever so grateful if someone would explain what on earth it is I'm supposed to do.

Thanks!

Rolfus RE: Adobe Reader
Member 22nd Aug, 2010 20:51
Score: 0
User Since: 5th Nov 2008
I also had to update Adobe reader (Tread), but was warned from Norton.
Rolf
Was this reply relevant?
+0
dracudok RE: Adobe Reader
Member 22nd Aug, 2010 21:56
Score: 42
User Since: 14th Jun 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 22nd Aug, 2010 22:02
Hi teemacs,

perhaps the download of the Adobe Reader update file was incomplete and hence the Windows Installer, which is responsible to execute msp-files, could not handle it

Try to update the Reader either by its autoupdate function (Help menu in the running Reader program) or by downloading and executing the update file "AdbeRdrUpd934_all_incr.msp" from here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?...

This update file only works if Adobe Reader version 9.3.3 is installed. If you are running an older version, you first have to update it to version 9.3.3 by downloading and installing the reader from here:

http://get.adobe.com/reader/

dracudok
Was this reply relevant?
+2
teemacs RE: Adobe Reader
Member 22nd Aug, 2010 22:29
User Since: 12th Jul 2009
Last edited on 22nd Aug, 2010 22:29
Thanks, Dracudok. Alas, neither suggestion worked. I upgraded Reader, but then got the same message again. Life is never easy:-(
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Adobe Reader
Expert Contributor 22nd Aug, 2010 22:57
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
Hello.
It might be worth considering alternatives.... if you look at the CYBERCLIP thread on the forum....Clips 50 and 66....you might find the info useful.....smaller and less problematic apps available.
Regards..........

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 22nd Aug, 2010 23:01
Hi teemacs,

perhaps your "Windows Installer"-installation is damaged. If your operating system is Windows XP oder Windows Vista, you can download and (re-)install the up to date version 4.5 of the Windows Installer from here (after changing to the correct language first): http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?di...

dracudok
Was this reply relevant?
+2
This user no longer exists RE: Adobe Reader
Member 23rd Aug, 2010 09:34
Hi,

I suggest you try clearing your temporary internet files, or alternatively, using a download manager, or another browser.
Has this allowed you to download and execute the flie?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Jax-1 RE: Adobe Reader
Member 23rd Aug, 2010 12:50
User Since: 22nd Aug 2010
Am also haqving problems with Adobe 9x have updated it twice and still SECUNIA tells me Adobe 9x needs updating. Would like to know what the problem is. Adobe tells me that it's up to date

Thanks

Jax-1
Was this reply relevant?
+0
williams3720 RE: Adobe Reader
Member 23rd Aug, 2010 21:15
User Since: 23rd Aug 2010
This is the first time I have used Secunia PSI. I have just downloaded & installed the patch for Adobe Reader 934 3 times and it is still telling me the problem is there!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: Adobe Reader
Contributor 24th Aug, 2010 07:33
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
on 22nd Aug, 2010 21:56, dracudok wrote:
... update file "AdbeRdrUpd934_all_incr.msp" from here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?... ...

Don't know if this means anything, but the Adobe download page
http://get.adobe.com/reader/ points to this AdbeRdr933_en_US.exe . I know this is only the installer, but shouldn't it be 934?

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Aug, 2010 09:46
Hi Fred,

unfortunately Adobe doesn't provide a full 9.3.4 version of its reader (so far). So to be up to date you have to download and install the full version 9.3.3 first (http://get.adobe.com/reader) and then the incremental update from here: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp... (or perform autoupdate within reader v.9.3.3).

dracudok

Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Adobe Reader
Member 24th Aug, 2010 09:47
on 24th Aug, 2010 07:33, thedillpickl wrote:
Don't know if this means anything, but the Adobe download page
http://get.adobe.com/reader/ points to this AdbeRdr933_en_US.exe . I know this is only the installer, but shouldn't it be 934?

Fred

Hi,

This does mean something, and it means something important. It means that Adobe is offering the Insecure version of their own software up for download.

I have tested the update process in the PSI, and I am confident you should all be shown as secure if you install the 9.3.4 patch, and run a full rescan with the PSI.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jakro64 RE: Adobe Reader
Member 24th Aug, 2010 10:26
User Since: 17th Feb 2010
Some days ago I updated from 9.3.3 to 9.3.4, but Secunia PSI still asks me to update. Today I downloaded a AdbeRdrUpd934_all_incr.msp file, but it fails to run as my photo editor understands it as an image file.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
pc77 RE: Adobe Reader
Member 24th Aug, 2010 10:44
Score: 2
User Since: 15th Jul 2010
Download Foxit Reader after you have deleted Adobe.
Much easier programme to maintain does the same trick and is smaller and probably safer too.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 24th Aug, 2010 10:52
Last edited on 24th Aug, 2010 11:00
Hi jakro64,

this resembles the problem posted by teemacs at the start of this thread. Seems that another program (e.g. your image viewer) has stolen the suffix ".msp" to be handled by msiexec (the "Windows Installer") and so the adobe patch file is erroneously opend by the wrong program.

You can check this by looking at the registry value HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.msp: The "Standard" entry should have the value Msi.Patch and the entry HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Msi.Patch\shell\Open\command should reference "%SystemRoot%\System32\msiexec.exe" /p "%1" %*

If you see something different when looking to your registry, for Windows XP or Vista you can try to repair this by downloading and (re-)installing the latest Windows Installer version from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?Fa... (select the correct language first).

dracudok

Edit: Or even simpler: Right click the .msp file and choose "open with..", then select "Windows Installer" and check the option "always open with ..." (don't know how it is called in english OS because I have a german one)

dracudok
Was this reply relevant?
+4
thedillpickl RE: Adobe Reader
Contributor 24th Aug, 2010 19:15
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
Hi;

Thank you dracudok & Emil for explaining the Adobe download / incremental update situation.

on 24th Aug, 2010 10:52, dracudok wrote:
... Edit: Or even simpler: Right click the .msp file and choose "open with..", then select "Windows Installer" and check the option "always open with ..." (don't know how it is called in english OS because I have a german one)

dracudok

Windows Installer is correct. "Always use selected program to open this kind of file" in English (XP).

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jakro64 RE: Adobe Reader
Member 25th Aug, 2010 09:22
User Since: 17th Feb 2010
Thanks, Dracudok for the advise.

I downloaded the Installer and run the installing programme. But nothing changed. (Remember I already installed 9.3.4.) Secunia still states that the 9.3.3.177 version should be updated.

It seems there is a bug somewhere.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Aug, 2010 10:40
Hi jakro64,

this problem is discussed here: http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/520...

dracudok
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Adobe Reader
Expert Contributor 25th Aug, 2010 11:27
Score: 2428
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

@jakro64 ,

Do you have a version of the Reader in both the "patched" and the "insecure" tabs of the PSI ("advanced mode") ; if so , what is the "installation path" and "version number" for each one ??

Have you rebooted abd run a full PSI scan since you updated Reader ??

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
teemacs RE: Adobe Reader
Member 25th Aug, 2010 22:01
User Since: 12th Jul 2009
on 22nd Aug, 2010 23:01, dracudok wrote:
Hi teemacs,

perhaps your "Windows Installer"-installation is damaged. If your operating system is Windows XP oder Windows Vista, you can download and (re-)install the up to date version 4.5 of the Windows Installer from here (after changing to the correct language first): http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?di...

dracudok

Thank you. Unfortunately, it doesn't work as none of the versions seem appropriate to my computer (the website said as much). I also upgraded to Reader 9.3.3 (which went fine), and then tried 9.3.4 (which didn't). I'm not sufficiently geekish to do any more, so I guess I just have to live with it. Thanks, everyone - I understand now more clearly than ever that computer people will never be out of a job!
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability