Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: psi memory usage

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Nikilet psi memory usage
Member 27th Aug, 2010 01:48
Ranking: 7
User Since: 15th Jul, 2008
System Score: N/A
Is it normal for psi to use like 36,500 K memory, and sometimes more?

Also, somehow this program got blocked and I didn't do it. When I go to msconfig it is selected in the Startup tab and is enabled. I have no idea how to take the block off. Every time my computer starts I get that notification that it's blocked from starting.

thedillpickl RE: psi memory usage
Contributor 27th Aug, 2010 05:28
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Hi Nikilet;

Just tested* on my little acer. At idle PSI uses between 10,000 - 12,000k, doing a manual scan, the peak usage was about 31,000k at the end of the scan. Usage returned to pre-scan level when finished.

*This was performed, quite unscientifically, by watching Task Manager at Processes tab.

Remember that tons of variables will change results.

=======

> What, exactly does the notification say?
> What operating system are you using?

Regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Nikilet RE: psi memory usage
Member 27th Aug, 2010 05:39
Score: 7
User Since: 15th Jul 2008
Last edited on 27th Aug, 2010 05:40
Right now psi is using 26,820 and that's the lowest I've seen it.

I'm using Vista Home Premium SP2. I can't remember exactly but it says that Windows has blocked some programs from starting and then the box disappears into the taskbar. I right click on it and there are three options.
One is to show or delete programs (I think), then next it's show and run programs, and can't remember exactly the last one.

I forgot something else I wanted to ask about. When you click to close psi it's supposed to stay open and running in the taskbar. Mine did, but it doesn't anymore. When I close it there is nothing in the taskbar.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 27th Aug, 2010 05:58
Hi Nikilet;

Very quickly, as I'm leaving a friends to go home.

I would not be overly concerned with the memory usage unless you are low on memory. Let me 'ask around' to see what other systems with different operating systems report.

The start up & closing peculiarities are annoying to be sure. I will need to research to answer properly. May be up to 20 hours from now before I can get back. If someone, who has seen the problem or can figure it out, does not help before then, I promise to be back. :)

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: psi memory usage
Expert Contributor 27th Aug, 2010 15:03
Score: 2414
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi Nikilet and Fred ,

If it helps , I can confirm that the figures you refer to for the PSI.exe file are all seen regularly by me in my Task Manager on my XP SP3 machine :eg: 36,000+ K this morning with the PSI "at rest" and monitoring ; currently at 11;000+ for same status .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Aug, 2010 17:47
Thank you. I have my grandson in one arm so just wanted to pick out a thanks.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 28th Aug, 2010 04:34
Last edited on 28th Aug, 2010 04:39
Hi Nikilet;

I have enabled "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" in PSI. That has added Secunia PSI to my Startup tab in msconfig (XP Pro). The box is checked, rebooted to check, loaded fine. Can not determine how to block, so no good to test on my OS.

MS SUpport has an article for blocked startup problems in Vista: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930367 In it the explaination is given, "This issue occurs because a program or a service that has User Account Control (UAC) restrictions tries to start during the Windows Vista startup process or logon process."

> Have you made changes to the UAC (if possible) or startup settings?
> Have you made any other changes just prior to this happening?
Sometimes MS updates change settings for security reasons (how wonderful) and does not bother to inform you. Suddenly your machine that you have fine tuned starts acting differently than you intended!
> If no changes, updates or other modifications have been made just prior to this occurance, I would suggest using a restore point before you noticed the problem.
> If the earlier restore point is no help follow the steps outlined in the article.

> Did the problem with PSI dissapearing from the taskbar when the window is closed happen at the same time as the above?

Fred

p.s. Found this article http://blogs.msdn.com/b/tims/archive/2006/09/28/wi... , that has a way to better control startup programs, while I was poking around. As I have no way to test, I can not say wethier it is good or not. Be careful not to do too many things at once.

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 28th Aug, 2010 16:33
Thank you so much for all this info. I think it came out of it, but will let you know after I check out the two links you provided, which will be after grandson leaves. Just didn't want you to think I'm ignoring you for the time being.

Again, thanks!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 28th Aug, 2010 19:37
Hi Nikilet;

No hurry, I wanted you to have what I've found ASAP. Post back here when ready.

Enjoy;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability