xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI 1.5.0.2 does not store settings (continuous program monitoring)

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
hmiller1 PSI 1.5.0.2 does not store settings (continuous program monitoring)
Member 29th Aug, 2010 14:32
Ranking: 0
User Since: 3rd Jun, 2008
System Score: N/A
Hello,

it's now 2 weeks ago since I complaint, that PSI 1.5.0.2 eats up all computer power due to the fact, that it doesn't care on the setting for continuous program monitoring - but nothing happens at all! No updated, new version of the software - it's a shame for a security software! Due to the blocking of the PC for many minutes on stat-up o the PC it makes him insecure! PSI takes over 100% of the pc-power!

Do you really test your software on single core PCs? I beleive you don't do that! because if you would do that you will see that it's absolute not useable!

I'm really angry on you!

greetings,
Harald

mogs RE: PSI 1.5.0.2 does not store settings (continuous program monitoring)
Expert Contributor 29th Aug, 2010 14:44
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
Here is a copy of one paragraph taken from psi FAQ's :-
Why am I experiencing 100% CPU utilization when it comes to the "Checking for Windows Updates" part of the inspection?
To inspect for missing Windows updates, the Secunia PSI runs the Automatic Update service, which causes an instance of the svchost.exe file to execute. Under some circumstances, such as if you have a certain Windows hotfix installed, this can lead the svchost.exe file to stop responding.
The FAQ's themselves can be read in their entirety here :-
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
Hope this helps....regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Anthony Wells RE: PSI 1.5.0.2 does not store settings (continuous program monitoring)
Expert Contributor 29th Aug, 2010 20:45
Score: 2414
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A

Hello Mogs ,

This is the earlier thread from Harald which seems to have been closed due to lack of activity :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/510...

AFAIK , The re-enabled at start up bug of "programme monitoring" is not likely to be fixed prior to version 2.0 being released ; Secunia have not given a date for it as yet .

Hope this helps .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
thedillpickl RE: PSI 1.5.0.2 does not store settings (continuous program monitoring)
Contributor 30th Aug, 2010 20:16
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Hi Harald;

on 29th Aug, 2010 14:32, hmiller1 wrote:
... Due to the blocking of the PC for many minutes on stat-up o the PC it makes him insecure! PSI takes over 100% of the pc-power! ...

In your previous thread you said, "... eats up a lot of speed (taks a long time after startup the PC to make it responsive for input - to say it simple: it breaks it down to a nearly stillstand!).".

The program monitoring should use very little resources. However, if you have a slow internet connection (i.e. dial-up phone modem) it will take several minutes for PSI to start. (I have the same situation.) This will all but stop any internet traffic, as PSI does not communicate with the Secunia server in the background. Also if a scheduled scan begins at start-up, that will take several more minutes and will make the hard drive(s) busy during the scan.
> Could this be what you perceive as the problem?

I have tested (with Task Manager, Performance tab) the loading of PSI and a manual scan by PSI. Combined with already running software, neither used more that 25% (80% peak) of the CPU. Memory usage never exceeded 800Mb (that was with other usage, security software, browser & OS). Although machines will vary, I would think this is 'typical', you should observe similar results.

> If you have a slow connection, the best way to use PSI (for me anyhow) is to uncheck the "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" option and run it manually every week. It will not matter if "Enable Program Monitoring" is checked as PSI will not be running, except during maintenance.

> If you have a high speed connection there may be other issues involved.
> When loading, does PSI always do an automatic scan? This should happen only once in seven days. (Check the "Last Full System Scan" time on the "Overview" tab after PSI loads. If it say one or two minuets, something is making PSI scan.)
> Is PSI conflicting with other programs that are loading at the same time? (Test by unchecking the "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" option, manually starting PSI after all else is loaded.)

If necessary, uncheck the "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" option and run manually until version 2.0 to then test that version.

Regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+2

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability